IGNORED

Rape Kits DO NOT EQUAL Abortion

Bethella

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/t ... 00998.html

Even as 800 demonstrators packed the Capitol with pro-choices signs - and after the wrenching testimonies of hundreds of Texans who traveled to Austin to beg them not to - Texas legislators have given preliminary approval to Senate Bill 5, a full-scale attack on abortion clinics in the state which involves banning abortions after 20 weeks, shuttering 30 of the state's 40 abortion facilities, and limiting abortion to surgical centers.

Basically, it would render abortions obsolete in Texas. (Why these lawmakers never seem concerned that women will still abort, but resort to horrific measures and back-alley procedures to do so, has always been a total mystery to me.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: We should probably not be allowing restrictions on American women's abortion rights made by people who literally do not know their biology. Contrary to popular conservative pundits' belief, babies are not dropped down to Earth by way of storks clutching the New Testament in their talons.

While usually it's male politicians who stumble on the most basic reproductive concepts, this time it was a conservative woman's gaffe. When one Democratic state senator called for exceptions to Senate Bill 5 in the case of rape or incest, Texas Rep. Jody Laubenberg (R-Parker) attempted to explain why that should not be so. Key word being "attempted."

"In the emergency room they have what's called rape kits where a woman can get cleaned out," she said according to Time, likening a rape kit to an abortion. "The woman had five months to make that decision, at this point we are looking at a baby that is very far along in its development."

In case you didn't figure it out, the "cleaned out" comment is completely inaccurate, thus proving that this person has no idea what a rape kit is or how women's bodies work (her own body, for that matter! Someone give her a hand mirror!) A rape kit collects evidence of a potential sexual assault, such as blood and other fluids. But it is not the equivalent of an abortion WHATSOEVER. Nevertheless, SB 5 passed 97-33, because ignorance does not bother us as much as the idea of women running around with rights and stuff.

:pink-shock: They never learn do they? I want off of this planet.

Considering that far right voters are likely to believe any crazy inaccuracy that their leaders say, I foresee a time when Texas outlaws rape kits or makes the victim pay for them herself.

I think she may be referring to the policy of giving the morning after pill to rape victims. Not that it cleans them out or works five months later.

Fucking, fucking moron. If this is what she thinks a rape kit is, then why hasn't she wondered why police stations have backlogs of unprocessed rape kits?

Oh my god! People actually need this explained :shock:

Seriously, how dumb can you get? I have no words...

Seriously?! Why do these people not educate themselves before they open their mouths? Oh yeah, because then they might actually learn something that will force them to actually have to reevaluate their position, and we can't have that. I don't know what I want to do more, beat my head on my desk, or cry.

My god, science is like the flying spaghetti monster to these folks isn't it? The morning after pill prevents ovulation which in turn prevents pregnancy. It doesn't do squat once you are already pregnant (if of course you count being pregnant as the time of implantation). Preventing pregnancy in rape cases prevents abortion. It prevents it much more reliably than outlawing abortion. Because from time immemorial, women have been getting rid of unwanted pregnancies and they will continue to do so. I once read a very interesting post from a woman who had been a "pro-life" activist until she realized that the other side actually had the better plan to reduce the number of abortions. She realized that preventing unwanted pregnancies and providing support for mothers and children is far more effective than outlawing the procedure.

Im ashamed to be a Texan today.

So am I. This is vomitous. :evil:

So wait, she thinks rape kits are done five months later? Or is she trying to protest both rape kits (and I presume ECP) and 20-week abortions? I'm confused.

So wait, she thinks rape kits are done five months later? Or is she trying to protest both rape kits (and I presume ECP) and 20-week abortions? I'm confused.

She's saying a woman could have gotten an abortion right after because thats part of a rape kit. Getting cleaned out...like literally. Or maybe she thinks you can suck out all the sperm or something. This is assuming a woman reports to an ER and gets a rape kit done. The woman had her chance so wanting an abortion at 5 months should not be accessible to her.

She's saying a woman could have gotten an abortion right after because thats part of a rape kit. Getting cleaned out...like literally. Or maybe she thinks you can suck out all the sperm or something. This is assuming a woman reports to an ER and gets a rape kit done. The woman had her chance so wanting an abortion at 5 months should not be accessible to her.

Does this scare the fuck out of anyone else? I mean, if you're trying to take away options, at least know what you're trying to take away, for the love of everything rational.

One of my friends is a SANE nurse and performs rape kits. She posted this on facebook today and I couldn't believe it! Some people are just so, so painfully ignorant and stupid.

Because a woman will always go straight to the hospital for an invasive and traumatic examination after an invasive and traumatic experience. Yup. Always.

:cray-cray:

I want to move out of Texas...

3 years and counting to get away from this type of crazy

(I know other places have crazies but I'm tired of dealing with the Texas kind)

People of the world, not all Texans are stupid assholes. She's not from my district, but I still hope a really poky eyelash falls into her eye and causes her great discomfort.

People of the world, not all Texans are stupid assholes. She's not from my district, but I still hope a really poky eyelash falls into her eye and causes her great discomfort.

Well it sure is not going to be her compassion that causes her discomfort.

Archived