IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting - All Things Duggar Family - Part 5

happy atheist

Why do you have yearly gyny exams? Its not something done in the UK. We go for our smears obviously, and have pelvics if you have a pelvic related problem, but other than that we don't have yearly pelvic exams.

In my experience, most young women without children don't go in for yearly pelvic exams. Once they are sexually active they go in order to get birth control, but most of the people I've known don't go once a year, and don't go at all until they are sexually active - unless there is a problem of some sort.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the absence of any symptoms, I don't think otherwise healthy, non-sexually active young women in their teens and early 20's in their situation really need pelvic exams. I'm not saying they shouldn't be educated about their own bodies, but we know that's not going to happen.

But I wonder what would happen if one of them did have symptoms that would normally require a pelvic. Probably just pray until she either got better or died.

Why do you have yearly gyny exams? Its not something done in the UK. We go for our smears obviously, and have pelvics if you have a pelvic related problem, but other than that we don't have yearly pelvic exams.

I think when most of us think of an annual OBGYN appointment we think of an annual pap smear, so go in once a year for that. Also, I think its pretty common for a lot of women (including myself) that your OB becomes your primary physician, so when I go once a year that includes my physical.

The Duggars will do whatever it takes to keep their daughters as pure as possible. Even if that means risking their health. I bet that Anna had never seen a gyno until she got pregnant.

I bet she still hasn't seen a gyno. She's probably only seen midwives during her pregnancies.

During her pregnancy with Mack, she saw Dr. Sarver, the dr that delivered some of J'Chelle's babies. She's an OB/GYN right?

During her pregnancy with Mack, she saw Dr. Sarver, the dr that delivered some of J'Chelle's babies. She's an OB/GYN right?

She did and she is. I remember they did the whole internal ultrasound for her and kicked the film crew out.

Didn't she see Dr. Sarver during most of her first pregnancy? I don't remember seeing either a midwife or a doctor with the second. She went to a free standing ultrasound place with that one is all I recall.

She saw Dr. Sarver for all of her pregnancy, and was going to have her deliver Mack, but she was out of town. It makes me sick that Anna and other Duggar women are so freaked out about seeing male Dr's. Who cares if a male Dr sees your private areas? They're doing a job. It's not like they're going to do things that they're not supposed to. They knwo what's right. Grow up, Duggars! It's 2013 and male dr's and acceptable in this time period.

She saw Dr. Sarver for all of her pregnancy, and was going to have her deliver Mack, but she was out of town. It makes me sick that Anna and other Duggar women are so freaked out about seeing male Dr's. Who cares if a male Dr sees your private areas? They're doing a job. It's not like they're going to do things that they're not supposed to. They knwo what's right. Grow up, Duggars! It's 2013 and male dr's and acceptable in this time period.

Ummm.....it's perfectly normal to prefer a woman ( or a man ) to do your exams. Many women have a preference because of a variety of issues, or just because.

Ummm.....it's perfectly normal to prefer a woman ( or a man ) to do your exams. Many women have a preference because of a variety of issues, or just because.

I remember when my sister was pregnant with her first baby and looking for an ob/gyn. She was weirded out by the idea of a female ob/gyn because in her words "men are supposed to be interested in these parts, not women". I wonder what the Duggars would think of that? :lol:

Yet another reason to despise the mindless, manic fixation on female purity among fundies. I have a friend who was raised fundie-light. She started having pains in her pelvic region, but refused to see an OB/GYN for quite a long time because she was taught that if she was examined before marriage, her hymen would no longer be intact, and she wouldn't be a virgin anymore. She's a close friend, so I kept bugging her until she went to the doctor. Fortunately, it was only ovarian cysts, but it could have been more serious, considering how long it took for her to agree to the doctor visit.

It makes me sick that Anna and other Duggar women are so freaked out about seeing male Dr's. Who cares if a male Dr sees your private areas? They're doing a job. It's not like they're going to do things that they're not supposed to. They knwo what's right. Grow up, Duggars! It's 2013 and male dr's and acceptable in this time period.

Wow insulting! I may be not grown up in 2013 because I only prefer a female gyn and wont go to a man unless hes the only doctor. I am not modest, I can walk naked on beach in public but I dont prefer to open my legs on the table to him.

Wow insulting! I may be not grown up in 2013 because I only prefer a female gyn and wont go to a man unless hes the only doctor. I am not modest, I can walk naked on beach in public but I dont prefer to open my legs on the table to him.

Same here.

I've had a male OB and a female OB. I *greatly* prefer the female OB and won't see another male OB unless he's my only choice.

And I assure you, I'm quite grown up.

Why is that insulting you ? :think: Isn´t it not a bit the other way round and the FUNDIE- assumption (not necessarily yours!) to have no one else than your husband seeing your private parts for WHATEVER reasons (like medical ones) insulting a male doctor (among others), feeding the false argument that all males are only sexually interested in women ... ?

Remembers me of old-timey medical exams, where a male doctor was not allowed to actually examine a female patient and so therefor they resorted to such odd things like the patient had to show the doctor her "problem area" on a little sculpture of the female body :mrgreen:

Don´t get me wrong here, anyone! Everyone of us has the right to choose a doctor based on personal preferences, opinions, beliefs, etc. and it´s nobodys business than yours.

But I also agree with ljohnson2006´s comment: in general, a male gyn. is just as okay as a female. We´re all human beings, we don´t need segregation based on or genitalias - and at least in the medical sector! (which I refer here more to fundie-minds NOT my fellow FJs here :lol: )

Why is that insulting you ? :think: Isn´t it not a bit the other way round and the FUNDIE- assumption (not necessarily yours!) to have no one else than your husband seeing your private parts for WHATEVER reasons (like medical ones) insulting a male doctor (among others), feeding the false argument that all males are only sexually interested in women ... ?

Remembers me of old-timey medical exams, where a male doctor was not allowed to actually examine a female patient and so therefor they resorted to such odd things like the patient had to show the doctor her "problem area" on a little sculpture of the female body :mrgreen:

Don´t get me wrong here, anyone! Everyone of us has the right to choose a doctor based on personal preferences, opinions, beliefs, etc. and it´s nobodys business than yours.

But I also agree with ljohnson2006´s comment: in general, a male gyn. is just as okay as a female. We´re all human beings, we don´t need segregation based on or genitalias - and at least in the medical sector! (which I refer here more to fundie-minds NOT my fellow FJs here :lol: )

No one is segregating anyone by feeling uncomfortable with having a man touch their genitalia. It's not a matter of needing to "grow up." Many women have a history of being sexually assaulted by men and all women are taught that they have to be afraid of men but somehow it's women's fault if they feel uncomfortable with male doctors.

You can say we're all human beings but we all live in patriarchal power structures and making personal choices about how you're willing to let a man touch you dehumanizes nobody.

I think when most of us think of an annual OBGYN appointment we think of an annual pap smear, so go in once a year for that. Also, I think its pretty common for a lot of women (including myself) that your OB becomes your primary physician, so when I go once a year that includes my physical.

Why would a cervical smear be yearly? Also why does an OB or even a Gynae have to perform it. In fact why would a doctor perform it at all?

Also why on earth would an OB be your primary doctor if you say had a common or garden chest infection requiring anti-biotics or eczema for instance? Seems like a ludicrously expensive way to access basic preventative healthcare. :think:

I personally do not mind female or male. What I do mind is everybody having access to healthcare and if that requires a female only for whatever reason which there can be many varied. Then that is the way it should be.

Purely anecdotal evidence which you can ignore: I've had maybe.....8 OB/gyns in my lifetime. The 2 worst were both female, the 2 best were both male. The first gynecologist I ever saw was when I was 15 because I was getting my periods every 2 weeks. She was nasty and accusatory. "Don't waste my time just because you want birth control pills." She was rough during the examination and made me cry. That was 40 years ago but I still remember her.

On the other hand the best OB was a well-regarded doctor chosen by my mother (who was a nurse) known for his skills. I had lost my first baby during delivery, so I was very nervous during my second pregnancy. He was kind, gentle and reassuring at all times. I really, really came to appreciate him and never dreaded my visits.

So my point is that I will never rule out a doctor just because of his sex.

Why would a cervical smear be yearly? Also why does an OB or even a Gynae have to perform it. In fact why would a doctor perform it at all?

In order to get a prescription for birth control pills in the United States, you are required by law to get a pap smear yearly. There has been talk about removing this requirement, but so far as I know it still stands.

In order to get a prescription for birth control pills in the United States, you are required by law to get a pap smear yearly. There has been talk about removing this requirement, but so far as I know it still stands.

It's not required by law. It's just one of those things many doctors in the US insist upon. They love hunting for abnormal cells and then billing insurance companies, even when there is little to no likelihood a particular patient has cervical cancer and even though there is NO connection whatsoever between birth control and pelvic exams.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/11/ ... 7X20101122

Purely anecdotal evidence which you can ignore: I've had maybe.....8 OB/gyns in my lifetime. The 2 worst were both female, the 2 best were both male. The first gynecologist I ever saw was when I was 15 because I was getting my periods every 2 weeks. She was nasty and accusatory. "Don't waste my time just because you want birth control pills." She was rough during the examination and made me cry. That was 40 years ago but I still remember her.

On the other hand the best OB was a well-regarded doctor chosen by my mother (who was a nurse) known for his skills. I had lost my first baby during delivery, so I was very nervous during my second pregnancy. He was kind, gentle and reassuring at all times. I really, really came to appreciate him and never dreaded my visits.

So my point is that I will never rule out a doctor just because of his sex.

:shock: So as a 14 year old which I was back in the 80's when my GP put me on the pill for dysmenorrhea. I would then have to have a very invasive and unnecessary test despite not being sexually active until in my twenties?

Also yearly? Three yearly here is the norm as it reduces the amount of smear tests over a women's lifetime whilst proving effective at preventative diagnosis. Obviously more frequently if there are abnormalities, compromised immunity etc. The nurse at my GP practice does mine.

Alo hear you, one of the worst exams I ever had was by a female :lol:

It's not required by law. It's just one of those things many doctors in the US insist upon. They love hunting for abnormal cells and then billing insurance companies, even when there is little to no likelihood a particular patient has cervical cancer and even though there is NO connection whatsoever between birth control and pelvic exams.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/11/ ... 7X20101122

Ah. Cross posted. That makes more sense. Still shitty. But makes more sense. Money money money.

:shock: So as a 14 year old which I was back in the 80's when my GP put me on the pill for dysmenorrhea. I would then have to have a very invasive and unnecessary test despite not being sexually active until in my twenties?

Also yearly? Three yearly here is the norm as it reduces the amount of smear tests over a women's lifetime whilst proving effective at preventative diagnosis. Obviously more frequently if there are abnormalities, compromised immunity etc. The nurse at my GP practice does mine.

Alo hear you, one of the worst exams I ever had was by a female :lol:

Wow. Here it's also three yearly unless something's abnormal and you don't have to have one till you're 25, even if you're sexually active (something to do with a 10-15 year latency period). Also, they're usually done by your GP. What a ridiculous thing to have to go to a gyneacologist and have a smear just to get contraception. I'm on the pill and I've never been to a gyneacologist or had a smear, as I'm not 25 yet. It seems such a hassle.

Also why on earth would an OB be your primary doctor if you say had a common or garden chest infection requiring anti-biotics or eczema for instance? Seems like a ludicrously expensive way to access basic preventative healthcare. :think:

I personally do not mind female or male. What I do mind is everybody having access to healthcare and if that requires a female only for whatever reason which there can be many varied. Then that is the way it should be.

In my case, and this is purely optional, but my OB/GYN also does other things like prescribe my thyroid medication and draw bloodwork for cholesterol and other counts. It doesn't and shouldn't replace the full physical exam that is performed by a family doctor on a yearly basis, but if you haven't gotten around to that yet, the extras an OB/GYN can do for you are convenient.

Archived