IGNORED

Group aims to dispel Mormon myths, explain beliefs

doggie

Except that the only reason you "have" to believe that as a Christian is because that was what was decided at the Council of Nicaea at a meeting of mortal men, with their own political agendas, over 300 years after Christ was born and almost 300 years after he died. People greatly differed on the accuracy of this belief even at that time and the issue was debated for months. The winners basically smeared the other camp, who were all regarded as great Christians and theologians before Nicaeca, as heretics. So I don't know that I personally think it's necessary to believe Jesus and God were of the same substance, given that there was no agreement on the issue until the opposition to the current belief (which was the minority belief at the time of Nicaea) was essentially defamed into submission by claims of heresy.

I don't really care whether it's right or wrong...I personally don't believe that Jesus = God. I'm saying that's the accepted definition of Christianity today. When I refer to a Christian, that's what I'm talking about.

I honestly don't even care very much that Mormons want to call themselves Christians, I just think it's a little odd that they want so badly to be a part of a club that they disagree with on so many teachings. Like I said, I truly believe they do it for conversion reasons.

Saw "The Book of Mormon" this weekend, it was great. Go see it!!! Since I live and in a community were 50%+ of people are Mormon, it really hit home to me. They tried the PR thing when the Olympics were in Salt Lake City and it totally backfired on them. They are not any more wackadoddle than the Christian fundies, QF or other home grown religious groups. Their only problem is the missionaries. There has been a number of changes regarding having so many children, the church now says look at your responsibilities before breeding. There are a lot of them that are on birth control, they think that these women who let it up to God to decide how many children they should have are just crazy. Also take care of FLDS patients, they are wackdoddles.

Except that the only reason you "have" to believe that as a Christian is because that was what was decided at the Council of Nicaea at a meeting of mortal men, with their own political agendas, over 300 years after Christ was born and almost 300 years after he died. People greatly differed on the accuracy of this belief even at that time and the issue was debated for months. The winners basically smeared the other camp, who were all regarded as great Christians and theologians before Nicaeca, as heretics. So I don't know that I personally think it's necessary to believe Jesus and God were of the same substance, given that there was no agreement on the issue until the opposition to the current belief (which was the minority belief at the time of Nicaea) was essentially defamed into submission by claims of heresy.

Pretty much the same deal with the canon. No one has ever been able to explain to me how that council of mortal men knew exactly which books God wanted in the Bible and which should be disgarded. God's will. . .

Archived