IGNORED

No new Maxwell pregnancy.

Justme

Anna & Chris have been married nearly 10 months. No pregnancy. Bethany is over a year, and still no new pegnancy for Melanie. Nathan & Melanie have had fertility issues. Maybe Chris & Anna are following..... Maybe it's the "guys" having little swimmer "issues" :ugeek: and not the wives....

I don't think Christopher is interested. After 31 years of living under Steve and just the thought of anything is a sin, I cannot see how he can break that train of thought overnight. I think Chris is probably gay so he already has to suck it up and do yucky stuff with a girl when he probably doesn't want to. I could be completely wrong and he is the manliest ,straightest,man in the world,but I don't think so.

I'm going to bet that they didn't have sex on their wedding night. They'd never even touched a guy/girl before that day, and the first kiss was oh so awkward. In their shoes, I'd have wanted to wait and take things slow. Plus, like clibbyjo says, it would take a while to train your mind and body out of the deeply ingrained idea that sexual contact is sinful. If they didn't seal the deal until several months after the wedding, it's not a surprise that they're not expecting yet. Even in super healthy people, it can sometimes take a year or more.

My "gaydar" goes off with Chris, too. However, I think he so despertly wants to please his father. I think he wants to be his father's "ideal" husband, wage-earner, father, etc.

I, too, think Christopher is likely gay. That or he certainly has deep-seated issues with the immorality of having sexual thoughts and actions. You don't just turn it off your whole life, then spend a few hours getting married (and talking about death), then turn it on. At least Nathan got married in his mid-20s so probably had less time living under the "sex is sin" blathery as Christopher did. I think Nathan and Melanie have legitimate fertility issues, but they really love one another. Christopher and AM are probably having a lot of really awkward moments if they've even had sex at all. He probably is impotent (erections are a sin!), and if he's not, certainly an orgasm would send him straight to hell.

I don't think he's gay though I suppose it is possible. It's possible any of the Maxwells are. It's more likely he was taught sex is a sin all his life, and that's not easy to forget. Plus going from more touching to sex so fast would be hard. I wouldn't be too surprised if they hadn't had sex, but more because Christopher can't get rid of the 30ish years of indoctrination that he's not supposed to even think about it. If they did end up with fertility problems after they figure out what sex actually is, they'd probably blame some sin of Anna (Marie) ' s. Not publicly, but that seems like how they roll.

I never got the impression that they blame Melanie's sins for her fertility problems. To me, they seem more the types to figure it's just the way it is, because it's God's will or something.

I don't think he's gay though I suppose it is possible. It's possible any of the Maxwells are. It's more likely he was taught sex is a sin all his life, and that's not easy to forget. Plus going from more touching to sex so fast would be hard. I wouldn't be too surprised if they hadn't had sex, but more because Christopher can't get rid of the 30ish years of indoctrination that he's not supposed to even think about it. If they did end up with fertility problems after they figure out what sex actually is, they'd probably blame some sin of Anna (Marie) ' s. Not publicly, but that seems like how they roll.
Yeah, I wonder this exact thing about all the various "no touching, no mixing of the sexes" religious groups. You've been raised to think that touching a member of the opposite sex is forbidden, or in some circles even TALKING to a member of the opposite sex is forbidden, you've gone to extremely sex-segregated schools, you don't even look at women.

Then one day you get set up with your future spouse, you meet a few times before the wedding maybe, and BAM! You're married. In some cases you haven't been taught anything at all about sex, to the point of honestly not knowing where babies come from in HIGH SCHOOL (and you're getting married immediately afterward). So you take a religious class (again sex-segregated of course - you are NOT with your betrothed for this, but with other men/women of your same sex) for soon-to-be-married people on it, where it's disclosed exactly what it is you'll be doing, very shortly.

And you're supposed to be able to get it on immediately? Hell, even if you've also been raised to know that it's your duty to do it, that has GOT to be hard to overcome!

My BIL and SIL who got married in May haven't consummated their marriage as of last I heard. They are pretty religious but also just awkward and never really seemed in love to me so I could see Chris and Anna being like that too.

Can't speak for anyone else, but dh was raised in a culture that is super conservative about that stuff (no physical touch between opposite sexes outside of marriage, very little mixing, etc), and let's just say he had no problem "turning it on". :)

I don't think that's necessarily a problem. Though it may be for some. I think it probably depends more on the nature of the restrictions, rather than the restrictions themselves. I can definitely see circumstances that would make it difficult for couples to get over "sex is icky" if that's what they're taught. But otoh, I have experienced that refraining from physical and especially sexual touch prior to marriage doesn't have to be with that attitude, nor cause problems in marriage.

It may just be that like many normal couples, their fertility is not super-high. Everybody is different, and even coming from a big family doesn't guarantee that one is going to have a kid in the first year of marriage and every year thereafter, even with not using bc. Fertility is so much more complicated than that.

Everyone thinks biological clocks are for women, but men's fertility can decline after 30 also. What's worse, their fertility can stay high but the quality of sperm can degrade, increasing the risk of birth defects and miscarriages (the vast majority of miscarriages are caused by genes that just can't create a viable baby). I wouldn't be too worried at 31, but if you combine it with a bunch of sexual hang ups it could be a contributing factor.

And for all their emphasis on moral purity, fundies sure do like to take things fast. The vast majority of evil heathens who have sex before marriage take it far slower than any fundies do. It is usually years between first kiss and losing the V-card. Even with the same person, it's usually weeks or months between the time you first kiss and the time you first have sex. It's so weird that they expect all of that to be compressed into one night, especially since they make a big deal about having as many babies as soon as possible.

Maybe Chris & Anna are just fine, and they've decided they don't want to have a bajillion kids, thank you very much.

Oh, hoipolloi, if only. I actually think Anna may be pregnant (total spec on my part, but there it is.)

I wonder too. They showed her from the back and then later from the shoulders up in the pix from when they visited "the elderly". Could they be hiding something? I guess we'll know soon enough.

Just a hint; In the Mom and Dad's Corners newsletter they send out every month, when they list all the people in their family, sometimes they'll put (for example), "Nathan & Melanie & ?" before the actual baby announcement. If there is a ? after Christopher & Anna, in the August newsletter we'll know.

Ok, yes, that was probably wishful thinking.

Just had this vision of Chris & Anna cackling to themselves about putting one over on Stevie once they get behind closed doors.

Srsly, according to Steve's own beliefs, doesn't Chris have dominion over himself, Anna & his own household? If God tells Chris to have no more than 2 kids or allow Anna to go to college or drink Pepsi, who is Steve to countermand those divine instructions?

I know you guys are talking Maxwells but ya'll reminded me of Bethany Wiss.man as well. I wondered if from her latest posts about God's timing they are also struggling with conceiving. I am praying for them. I love that family as well.

I know you guys are talking Maxwells but ya'll reminded me of Bethany Wiss.man as well. I wondered if from her latest posts about God's timing they are also struggling with conceiving. I am praying for them. I love that family as well.

Me too, here's hoping she will have a baby soon, I think she would be a fantastic mother.

Ok, yes, that was probably wishful thinking.

Just had this vision of Chris & Anna cackling to themselves about putting one over on Stevie once they get behind closed doors.

Srsly, according to Steve's own beliefs, doesn't Chris have dominion over himself, Anna & his own household? If God tells Chris to have no more than 2 kids or allow Anna to go to college or drink Pepsi, who is Steve to countermand those divine instructions?

Because he is. Steve. Maxwell!

:D

I've always thought Christopher Maxwell was kind of gay. Part of it is based on stereotypes. In a culture that worships "manly men", I've always thought it interesting that Christopher seemed more "artsy"....Steve wrote that he was proud of Christopher, his "artistic" son, who was gifted in piano playing, digital graphics and photography. I guess, something about that seemed off given the fundie culture Christopher grew up in. Also, Christopher was always a sharp dresser. He always had perfectly ironed shirts, even at home, and the few pics I've seen of his work area was immaculate (even prior to marriage)....it's stereotypical, I know, but those little things kinda set off my gaydar.

Nathan found his bride at an appropriate fundie age (mid 20's), Christopher seemed not so eager to jump into the sea. Of course, it may be the weirdness that is the Maxwells that turned Christopher into more of a zealot than his brother but I couldn't help wonder if Christopher just wasn't eager to take a bride.

Then there's the "no-touch" rule which the Maxwell parents never said was necessary but Christopher appeared to set the bar that high.

Finally, it's the fact that Christopher is a handsome man, who appears able to provide (he owns his house outright) He had a courtship with a pretty girl who was quite stylish. It didn't go anywhere. A few years later, he marries a girl who is, IMHO, far more homely and dresses in a more "burkah" like outfit than the previous girl he courted.

Again, it could be the weirdness that is the Maxwells that caused this change in Christopher, but it also reminded me of those closest gays that try to suppress their urges by becoming even more fanatically anti-gay and pro-righteous Christians.

Perhaps for Christopher, that requires going even MORE fundie than his family. He finds a girl whose sense of fashion is even more conservative than most fundie families, who tries the plain look even more so than other fundies. He tries to be even more puritanical about guarding his heart than his parents have taught him (by not even touching the girl prior to marriage). He also struggles to court girls (hence waiting so long) because he struggles to find the "spark" that attracts him to the girl (i.e the feeling that this girl is someone I care about).

All this is speculation. I have no proof. But I've known a few closest gays who suppress for their religion, and I've followed the Maxwells fairly long time....I feel there's something going on with Christopher Maxwell.

I'm not surprised that there's no baby news yet. I don't think it's a physical problem. I think Christopher just doesn't feel attracted to his wife.

I remember the Maxwells mentioned that Melenie would get pregnant and miscarry and it was due to 'hormone levels" dropping. She was eventually given progesterone during her pregnancy and managed to carry her children to term after that. It sounds more like Melanie had the issue, not her husband. For Christopher, I'm thinking the kids will come but it may be longer than a year. The Maxwells just seem to have trouble getting grandkids.

Can't speak for anyone else, but dh was raised in a culture that is super conservative about that stuff (no physical touch between opposite sexes outside of marriage, very little mixing, etc), and let's just say he had no problem "turning it on". :)

maybeizfundie, a personal question, and if you prefer not to answer, no harm, no foul!

How old was your dh when you married?

I'll reveal my hand, that I think the older the virgin, the more problem "turning it on." Not in all cases, of course! I know of a couple who were virgins in their 40s, got snowed in together one night and -- no problem! :dance:

Quick Q: Which Maxwell son was it, made the Precious Moments tableau on the end table as part of his proposal evening?

Quick Q: Which Maxwell son was it, made the Precious Moments tableau on the end table as part of his proposal evening?

That was Nathan. He was given 'permission' from both sets of parents to be alone in his house with Melanie long enough to propose and then granted further permission to go out to dinner alone with her. They, of course, quickly returned to the Maxwell compound to join both sets of parents and families.

(for someone who's not much of a Maxwell fan, I've spent a few minutes reading/writing about them this morning!)

This photo of Mrs. Christopher Maxwell (hate that "Anna Marie" stuff) shows an incredibly pretty young woman, IMHO.

DSC_8806-300x214.jpg

In retrsopect, her wedding and previous photos show her with a "smile" that looks a little forced. She's got her head submissively bowed in previous photos, and as well, her rosacea seems to be under control, here.

Long story short: When she's not mugging for Sarah's camera, when she's just being herself, she is very lovely

ETA: Thank you, fundiefan!

ETAlsoA: I love Mrs. C. Maxwell's retro dress! Even if she did make Mr. C. Maxwell a shirt out of the same trim material, and she's therefore way better a sew-er than I'll ever be! :D

That was Nathan. He was given 'permission' from both sets of parents to be alone in his house with Melanie long enough to propose and then granted further permission to go out to dinner alone with her. They, of course, quickly returned to the Maxwell compound to join both sets of parents and families.

And you know the M's seem to have become even more fanatical since Nathan and Melanie's engagement, to the point that I wonder if any current unmarried M's would be "allowed" to do this.

Mrs M's wedding report also talks of Nathan and Melanie practicing entwining their arms and drinking punch in preparation for their wedding reception, where they planned to do this. Again, I cannot picture the current crop of unmarrieds even touching, much less doing that. Unfortunately Christopher set the bar higher (or maybe lower?) for touching before marriage.

Archived