IGNORED

Pilgrim's Wilderness (Robert Hale)

quinoa

Have you all heard about this book? I just ran across mention of it yesterday in my favorite magazine.

[link=http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrims-Wilderness-Madness-Alaska-Frontier/dp/0307587827/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371572702&sr=8-1&keywords=pilgrim%27s+wilderness]Pilgrim's Wilderness: A True Story of Faith and Madness on the Alaska Frontier[/link]

The Hales and related families have been discussed here.

http://www.freejinger.org/forums/viewto ... 9&start=20

• 1 year later...

I wanted to resurrect this post.

I am listening to the audio version of this book, and oh my gosh, it's terrific. If you're interested in Fundies and Fundy families (and I assume we all are), it's a must read, imo.

I had never heard of this family and their tragic story until they (along with the Buckinghams) visited the Maxwells a couple of years ago.

I think it is a cautionary tale of what can happen when a patriarch goes down the fundie rabbit hole and takes his family with him.

It's a fantastic book. I bought it to read along with a group of people and I finished it in two nights and gave up on the discussion because most of them gave up because they were so horrified.

It's a very good, but disturbing, book. I found the book because someone posted on FJ about one of the girls getting married. That family was full of every type of nightmare you could have about a family. It was more like a mini cult.

I really like the audiobook. The guy who read it also read a few of my other favorite audiobooks.

It's a sad story.

It's a fantastic book. I bought it to read along with a group of people and I finished it in two nights and gave up on the discussion because most of them gave up because they were so horrified.

Read it a few months ago. I agree--it's a fascinating book!

It's a really well written book - I'd like to see more bios of contemporary fundamentalists in a similar style.

"He Heard His Brother Call His Name" was written by Papa Pilgrim's twin brother's widow and is surprisingly good. It's interesting to see her perspective on the unravelling of the Pilgrim family and the struggles of Billy Hale trying to negotiate a relationship with his brother and deal with his own spiritual questions.

• 2 months later...
It's a really well written book - I'd like to see more bios of contemporary fundamentalists in a similar style.

"He Heard His Brother Call His Name" was written by Papa Pilgrim's twin brother's widow and is surprisingly good. It's interesting to see her perspective on the unravelling of the Pilgrim family and the struggles of Billy Hale trying to negotiate a relationship with his brother and deal with his own spiritual questions.

Thank you for this recommendation -- I am reading this now -- about halfway through. It's very compelling, and more than a bit creepy since I already know how the whole thing ends (I read Pilgrim's Wilderness a few months ago). So far, I highly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in the Hale/Pilgrim story.

Archived