IGNORED

Will we ever see a Duggar daughter wedding?

jebandpunky

There are really only 3 kids that need everyday help (Josie, Jennifer, Jordyn). The rest of the kids should be able to get dressed, brush their teeth and get ready for bed on their own. It leaves two jobs, head cook and head teacher. I think by now the boys know the basics of taking out trash and the girls of vacuuming that they can look at the chore chart or packet. In a few years it is going to be even harder to justify needing 4 J'slaves help. I think they would be fine with 3 right now. If a 14 year old boy can't fix himself a sandwich then the Duggar need a lot more help then we think.

I think JB and Michelle have lost most of the control over the house. The younger kids follow the older kids not the parents most of the day. The kids are certainly not in the same straight line on time as they were 8 years ago. The only way for the family to not lose total control is to keep the kids at home.

I agree.

And Joy turns 16 this year so she is most certainly J-Slave number 5, although I don't think she's been assigned any little kids to manage. Laundry appears to be her full-time assignment. Soon enough even the three youngest won't need much from their buddies, so that leaves four grown women, one teenaged girl, and an elderly MIL to manage the housekeeping and cooking and logging on of computers so the kids can get their "education" while Michelle does whatever it is Michelle does. More than enough I should think.

Joseph seems to be assigned to fixing random things, but what does almost 17 year old Josiah spend his days doing? What will the twins be doing when they wrap up their three hour school days in a couple of years? How are they going to justify having all of these adult and teenaged SOTDRT grads hanging around the house? And what a sad way to spend one's youth.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jill is, anyway. Until they decide she likes it too much and needs to stop.

Midwifing is becoming an idol to her? :oops:

If a 14 year old boy can't fix himself a sandwich then the Duggar need a lot more help then we think.

I'm not so confident in the Duggar boys' ability to care for themselves. When JD and Joseph stayed at the TTH while the rest of the family was in Little Rock, the J'slaves had to travel back periodically to clean the house for them, including throwing out moldy food.

I think that it's encouraging that some of the older girls are pursuing a career more intently than a marriage.

With that said I do think we will have a Duggar wedding in the next year.

None of them are pursuing a career. They're trying their hands at Gothard-approved hobbies, but without the the education that is forbidden to them, none of these things will ever resemble an actual career. Giving women the opportunity to support themselves financially would make the whole Patriarchy system crumble.

I wonder if part of it is the fact that Michelle doesn't want to compete in the baby race with her daughters.

I wouldn't blame a fundiboy for avoiding the Duggar girls. They have a lifestyle that the boy couldn't maintain and who the heck would want to deal with Boob. No way!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The point of Patriarchy is to be the king or even god of your own little domain on Earth. Jim Bob has several young women who literally must adore and worship him, and cater to his every whim. This is the basis of the entire set-up. No, I'm not accusing him of incest. But has quite an ego and his won't let his worshipers go as long as he can afford not to. Marrying off adoring obedient daughters is strictly for the poorer Patriarchs who can't afford to support many adults indefinitely. Jim Bob might marry them off if he ever can't afford to support them any longer, but until that point he has no reason to do it and every reason to keep them around. It's the same with most of the other rich, high-profile Patriarchs, especially Daddy Botkin (who I think is the most likely to be committing actual incest). It is simply part of the Patriarchy system, and it's a perk, not a flaw for the Patriarchs.

This.

I'd rather the girls stay unmarried than sell their lives into the slavery that is a fundie marriage. It cheers me (in a twisted way) that none of the older girls are even courting. I'm hoping that at least one of them has seen through the whole sham and is quietly plotting to run once the dog and pony show is off the air. I hope she takes at least one of her sisters with her. And I will buy the book. :D

I also worry that the producer will issue JimBob with an ultimatum - get a wedding underway or the show's cancelled - not because I don't want the show cancelled but because that might make him force one of the girls into a loveless, hopeless marriage.

This.

I'd rather the girls stay unmarried than sell their lives into the slavery that is a fundie marriage. It cheers me (in a twisted way) that none of the older girls are even courting. I'm hoping that at least one of them has seen through the whole sham and is quietly plotting to run once the dog and pony show is off the air. I hope she takes at least one of her sisters with her. And I will buy the book. :D

I also worry that the producer will issue JimBob with an ultimatum - get a wedding underway or the show's cancelled - not because I don't want the show cancelled but because that might make him force one of the girls into a loveless, hopeless marriage.

This got me thinking on some other possibilities here.

I agree JB maintaining his adoring group of daughters could well very be a factor. Earlier upthread I mentioned that the girls might not be so keen to get married and are playing on their dad's possible "pickiness". That "pickiness" could also arise from JB's unwillingness to lose his worshipers. I wouldn't be surprised if TLC has pushed JB on getting one of the J'slaves married for show ratings at this point. The girls are old enough. If that is the case, then perhaps JB doesn't want to go that far and push a unwilling daughter into marriage, at least yet. Or perhaps he does actually value keeping his worshipers (and their help) over show ratings. At this point, J'chelle is so totally reliant on them, keeping things under control at home, that losing a J'slave could put her over the edge. I don't think she has the ability at this point to manage any of the kids for even a little bit with the possible exception of Josie, so keeping the girls at home helps keep J'chelle on an even keel.

None of them are pursuing a career. They're trying their hands at Gothard-approved hobbies, but without the the education that is forbidden to them, none of these things will ever resemble an actual career. Giving women the opportunity to support themselves financially would make the whole Patriarchy system crumble.

Exactly. This is all carefully crafted to make it look like the older daughters are pursuing a career to appease the viewers who might begin questioning all these women sitting at home doing nothing. An actual career where they could afford to support themselves and move out, that would never be allowed.

I have been following this thread for a long time. It took a while to think about all of your thoughts. It seems to me that the problem is that there is an extremely small pool of potiantial suiters. He would need to be sufficiantly fundie, high enough on the social spectrum, attractive and interesting enough for one of the girls to give the green light to dad. (And yes, all snark aside, I do think that he would much prefer that his daughter be happy with the choice.) He would need to be able to deal with and embrace the dog and pony show. I think that the Duggars would also like geographic proximity. (I actually think a business deal could seal the geography problem up.)

Add to that that there are 4 marriagable girls in the clan now, with another approaching.

They are going to need to get creative because several sets of aging ovaries hang in the balance.

You forgot a couple of things that narrows the available list even further. First the guy would need to be a Gothardite but one who doesn't mind that his wife dresses more like a fundie-lite. Second, he would have to be a go-getter who has a business doing well enough to support the Duggar daughter in her accustomed lifestyle, yet be humble enough to be subservient to JB. This last requirement is the part I find most problematic for the whole entire Gothard group. They require their sons to live at home under the father's umbrella until marriage yet at the same time they require them to be in business for themselves. The character traits required for these circumstances are at odds with each other. Any guy forceful and independent enough to build a successful business without any education is probably not going to be happy living at home under the father's thumb.

I do think that an attractive, well-off Gothard princeling with his pick of mates is going to turn up his nose at the Duggar girls when there are so many very young, very submissive Gothard girls. The Dugggar girls have traveled! They've been around the worldly film crew for days on end! They have iPhones! They might have opinions!

I wonder if part of it is the fact that Michelle doesn't want to compete in the baby race with her daughters.

That could also be.

Given Michelle's fertility, all of her daughters could easily end up with more than 19. Fraternal twins run in families, so each girl is most likely capable of having a set or two.

If each girl were married off at 20, then they'd be even with Michelle on years of possibly conceiving (Michelle got pregnant with Josh when she was 20).

Every year is another baby each of her daughters aren't having. Jana and Jill could easily have 2 kids by now, maybe more if they had twins, and Jessa would be pregnant with her first.

That could also be.

Given Michelle's fertility, all of her daughters could easily end up with more than 19. Fraternal twins run in families, so each girl is most likely capable of having a set or two.

If each girl were married off at 20, then they'd be even with Michelle on years of possibly conceiving (Michelle got pregnant with Josh when she was 20).

Every year is another baby each of her daughters aren't having. Jana and Jill could easily have 2 kids by now, maybe more if they had twins, and Jessa would be pregnant with her first.

Interesting... I never looked at it like that. I dunno if I'd want my newborn baby around that kind of crazy grandma.

This is where I would put my money. J-Chelle strikes me as the jealous, vindictive type. If she ain't popping out offspring, no one else is going to either...at least not with her blessing.

The Duggar kids have seen enough of the world to know that there is a better life out there than what they are forced to display on national TV. I will be watching to see how they exit ATIA and this madness that is the TV show. Marriage would be the most logical as a fundie girl but I dunno.

Slightly off topic: I wonder about John David. I dunno why but the kid strikes me as a ticking time bomb. :(

Interesting... I never looked at it like that. I dunno if I'd want my newborn baby around that kind of crazy grandma.

Me either. I generally think there are a lot of factors that go into why none of the Duggar girls are married. I think Michelle's jealousy could easily be one of those factors.

It is rather odd to think about how many the grandchildren could have been born by now if the Duggars were really serious about the desire to breed an army for the Christian right. I didn't include JD in this, but thinking about it, he could easily have 1 or 2 kids by now if they'd pushed him to marry (I really don't think he's interested in getting married just yet, and this seems to be something respected of males in this culture).

3 for Josh, 2 for Jana (and pregnant with a third), 2 for JD, 2 for Jill, and 1 for Jessa - Jim Bob and Michelle could easily have about 10 grandchildren by now.

I think Michelle still thinks shes the popular girl she was in High School, its just instead of lording it over the less popular kids in her class, she is treating her daughters that way. They arent allowed to do anything better than she is, because she is the leader and they are her loyal followers.

Im suprised she doesnt tease them for not having boyfriends/being virgins or pick out physical flaws to laugh at them for to impress Jimbob.

Instead of the latest fashions that teenage girls would brag about, shes instead bragging about how holy she is and how many babies she has (I guess amount of sex had it something that both Quiverfull people and High School students brag about, although this time Jimbob is bragging because he actually has sex and the other boys dont, and isnt that guy who brags about all the sex he has but has actually never seen a vagina before in his life, like he probably was in High School)

I think Michelle still thinks shes the popular girl she was in High School, its just instead of lording it over the less popular kids in her class, she is treating her daughters that way. They arent allowed to do anything better than she is, because she is the leader and they are her loyal followers.

Im suprised she doesnt tease them for not having boyfriends/being virgins or pick out physical flaws to laugh at them for to impress Jimbob.

Instead of the latest fashions that teenage girls would brag about, shes instead bragging about how holy she is and how many babies she has (I guess amount of sex had it something that both Quiverfull people and High School students brag about, although this time Jimbob is bragging because he actually has sex and the other boys dont, and isnt that guy who brags about all the sex he has but has actually never seen a vagina before in his life, like he probably was in High School)

This, squared.

He probably views the size of his family as a big "neener-neener" to all the popular boys that he couldn't compete for girls with back in high school.

I can imagine them just acting like overgrown teenagers, seeing their homeschool as a school, and their kids like either peers to be shamed and made fun of because theyre the most popular boy and girl at the SOTDRT and the others are not, and the little ones as annoying younger siblings who they can just ignore. They are not the parents, theyre extra children. I think the real mom of the house is probably Jana or Jill as they seem the most motherly and actually caring about the kids.

I think that sums up Duggar life...

Hey Josh, your little siblings were raised by their four moms, so why cant other same sex parents be able to do the same without fucking their kids up for life? If your siblings dont turn out okay, its because the Uterus had too many for them to cope or the religious stuff, not because they were raised by only moms.

Maybe not until Jennifer,Johanna and Jordyn are in their early 20s. I foresee them having much more normal lives because everybody else will be sick of raising children and not care what they do.

Maybe not until Jennifer,Johanna and Jordyn are in their early 20s. I foresee them having much more normal lives because everybody else will be sick of raising children and not care what they do.

I think everyone will be sick of everyone and everything at that point.

I'm trying to visualize a nearly empty TTH in 15 years when Jenny is 21. Boob stuck his mother in nursing home years ago as soon as she could no longer shovel clothes in the dryers fast enough. The sons have married and live here and there in the general area. Except for a few of the Howlers who've had some troubles. Jim Bob kicked them out years ago when he and Michelle came home early from a speaking engagement and found that James had organized a huge kegger in the living room and a breakdancing Jackson puked on Boob's shoes. Because they couldn't read well enough to get their GEDs, they live in rooming houses doing whatever odd jobs they can find, telling whoever will listen to them stories about how they used to be TV stars back in the day. The married sons come around with their kids now and then, but their wives discourage visits because, well, things are just a little weird over at the aging TinkerToyHouse.

The older daughters found husbands and are scattered all over the country. The last to leave was Joy who met up with a surfer dude online and they run a sick little surf shop in Malibu. Jill never left. She's (still) studying to be a real midwife someday and manages what's left of the household. But mostly these days that consists of wringing her hands over the behavior of her wild, jeans-wearing, rock-music obsessed younger sisters. Josie has a boyfriend with a tattoo and two earrings and, and even worse, one of the Querys told her she's sure she spotted Jenny wearing a bikini at a public pool last week. She's praying her father doesn't find out. He'd surely blame her parenting.

Michelle spends her days in the decaying remains of the boys' room like a mulleted Miss Havisham in maternity clothes, speaking in a soft baby voice to the assortment of Reborn dolls she's carefully tucked into the dusty sheets. "Now, Jasper, mustn't hurt brother or we'll have to spend some time on our blankie!"

And Jim Bob? He's in the garage counting and recounting all of his gold, never once asking himself if it was all worth it.

I think everyone will be sick of everyone and everything at that point.

I'm trying to visualize a nearly empty TTH in 15 years when Jenny is 21. Boob stuck his mother in nursing home years ago as soon as she could no longer shovel clothes in the dryers fast enough. The sons have married and live here and there in the general area. Except for a few of the Howlers who've had some troubles. Jim Bob kicked them out years ago when he and Michelle came home early from a speaking engagement and found that James had organized a huge kegger in the living room and a breakdancing Jackson puked on Boob's shoes. Because they couldn't read well enough to get their GEDs, they live in rooming houses doing whatever odd jobs they can find, telling whoever will listen to them stories about how they used to be TV stars back in the day. The married sons come around with their kids now and then, but their wives discourage visits because, well, things are just a little weird over at the aging TinkerToyHouse.

The older daughters found husbands and are scattered all over the country. The last to leave was Joy who met up with a surfer dude online and they run a sick little surf shop in Malibu. Jill never left. She's (still) studying to be a real midwife someday and manages what's left of the household. But mostly these days that consists of wringing her hands over the behavior of her wild, jeans-wearing, rock-music obsessed younger sisters. Josie has a boyfriend with a tattoo and two earrings and, and even worse, one of the Querys told her she's sure she spotted Jenny wearing a bikini at a public pool last week. She's praying her father doesn't find out. He'd surely blame her parenting.

Michelle spends her days in the decaying remains of the boys' room like a mulleted Miss Havisham in maternity clothes, speaking in a soft baby voice to the assortment of Reborn dolls she's carefully tucked into the dusty sheets. "Now, Jasper, mustn't hurt brother or we'll have to spend some time on our blankie!"

And Jim Bob? He's in the garage counting and recounting all of his gold, never once asking himself if it was all worth it.

Oh, please, oh, please, oh, please, eleventy, eleventy!!! let this be true!

When I read this I can totally see it happen!

And every year the J-kids give 'grandma Michelle' a new Reborn-doll for her birthday, 'cause otherwise J-chelle wants to keep their kids and giving her a replacement is the only way they can take their own kids home

I think the girls are more being a example to their fundie community by showing--yes, you can maintain the strict conservative idea but give the girls opportunity to explore their goals. This could be a beacon of hope for some girl whose parents' are like strict on getting married by age 21 and so forth. So, kudos for them not rushing into marriage.

I think the girls are more being a example to their fundie community by showing--yes, you can maintain the strict conservative idea but give the girls opportunity to explore their goals. This could be a beacon of hope for some girl whose parents' are like strict on getting married by age 21 and so forth. So, kudos for them not rushing into marriage.

First scarygirl, then Jericho and now Sunshine! Maybe we will have a good fundie Friday! I wonder what caused them to all suddenly show back up at the same time?

I've also imagined that life in the TTH down the road will be strange and surreal. It's because the design is so odd that it is hard to imagine any less then 12 or 15 people living in it, yet hard to imagine it being used for any other purpose other than a Duggar family residence. So what happens in 15 years? Will there be a few SAHDs left to rattle around with Mom and Pop? After all the boys move out will some of the girls decide to move into the boys room? Maybe JBoob will invite one of his married offspring to move in, but again...how would that work? Would they stick them in the laundry room or partition off a part of the boys room? It's just such a terrible design and seemingly inflexible to accommodate a shrinking family. In any normal house you would have number of rooms and as the kids moved out those rooms could be turned into sewing, storage, TV rooms, or even remain as guest bedrooms for visiting family members. Here you have two big dormitories and until all of the boys move out or all of the girls move out the rooms can't be used for anything else.

Me either. I generally think there are a lot of factors that go into why none of the Duggar girls are married. I think Michelle's jealousy could easily be one of those factors.

It is rather odd to think about how many the grandchildren could have been born by now if the Duggars were really serious about the desire to breed an army for the Christian right. I didn't include JD in this, but thinking about it, he could easily have 1 or 2 kids by now if they'd pushed him to marry (I really don't think he's interested in getting married just yet, and this seems to be something respected of males in this culture).

3 for Josh, 2 for Jana (and pregnant with a third), 2 for JD, 2 for Jill, and 1 for Jessa - Jim Bob and Michelle could easily have about 10 grandchildren by now.

I also wonder about the jealously as you noticed Josh gets married and soon after JB and Michelle have to have a wedding of their own and as soon as Anna gets pageant with Mack Michelle gets pageant with Josie and I am sure if Michelle could be having one right as soon as Anna.A miscarriage right around the same time as Anna and Michael etc.Michelle was the youngest child in her family and is use to getting a lot of attention I am sure and now doesn't want her kids to take away her attention from her spot light .Instead of enjoying her children and enjoying them getting some sunshine she wants it to be all about Michelle.I think if one of the girls got married she would try and turn everything back to her.She wants to walk around on camera saying look I can have and take care of all these kids and takes all the glory while her over worked girls get pushed in the back and don't get credit for what they do.I am sure they love to escape but feel marriage is the only way out.

When I read this I can totally see it happen!

And every year the J-kids give 'grandma Michelle' a new Reborn-doll for her birthday, 'cause otherwise J-chelle wants to keep their kids and giving her a replacement is the only way they can take their own kids home

What I'd also love to see:

The Howlers and Lost Girls join forces to successfully sue Boob and Mullet for their share of the TLC money, as well as for educational malpractice.

Josiah, Jed & Jer start their own animation company, with the twins doing the actual animation and Josiah as chief modelbuilder. The three unilaterally reject any story lines with a "Christian" theme.

Jackson, Hannie, James, Jason and Justin co-write a best-selling tell-all that is still in print 10 years after publication.

Archived