IGNORED

Will we ever see a Duggar daughter wedding?

jebandpunky

IMO, the Duggar girls have got it good at home compared to where they will be if they marry and split away from the family. Yes, they have a lot of work to do, but there are 4 of them. They have each other for support and help. If one of them leaves, she will be all alone and she would also know that she's leaving the rest of her sisters with her share of the work as well. I think that as soon as one of them gets married, the 3 others will get married, very quickly. Having a courtship and wedding would definitely boost ratings, and if that girl got pregnant the show would most likely continue for a few years. Jim Bob must know this, so I don't think that he is the one behind the girls not courting. I really do think it is all their choice for right now.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the questions to ask is why didn't David Waller marry one of the Duggar girls? He would appear to be perfect, even if he was a little old for some of them. And David is clearly enjoying the spotlight. The answer to that question seems to answer it all. He either didn't marry one of them because they were too high-maintenance/independent, or because they didn't want to get married, or because Jim-Bob isn't allowing them to marry. Neither the girls nor Jim-Bob could really have found much at fault with Waller.

Actually, I kind of got the feeling that they thought he was weird during the wedding episode. I don't think the Duggar girls would marry for anything less than love, and I think the marriage of David and Priscilla is one of convenience. I wouldn't be surprised if a Duggar married another Waller though- they're very high up in ATI.

I wonder if part of what the Jeubs and Duggars were talking about in their hotel room was arranging a courtship for a couple of their kids?

I think one of the questions to ask is why didn't David Waller marry one of the Duggar girls? He would appear to be perfect, even if he was a little old for some of them. And David is clearly enjoying the spotlight. The answer to that question seems to answer it all. He either didn't marry one of them because they were too high-maintenance/independent, or because they didn't want to get married, or because Jim-Bob isn't allowing them to marry. Neither the girls nor Jim-Bob could really have found much at fault with Waller.

I'm not so sure about that. I can almost hear Boob using the phrase "a little light in his loafers" with regard to David.

I wonder if part of what the Jeubs and Duggars were talking about in their hotel room was arranging a courtship for a couple of their kids?

I'm not sure the Jeubs are fundie enough for the Duggars, the women sometimes wear pants and I don't think they are involved in an organised group like ATI or VF.

Neither the girls nor Jim-Bob could really have found much at fault with Waller.

Unless they have a functioning gaydar... I don't think the girls want to escape that badly.

I think that we will see one of them married when Smuggar accepts Gay Marriage, unless one of them escapes from TTH :cracking-up:

It's the same with most of the other rich, high-profile Patriarchs, especially Daddy Botkin (who I think is the most likely to be committing actual incest). It is simply part of the Patriarchy system, and it's a perk, not a flaw for the Patriarchs.

I think Daddy Botkin has absolutely crossed into emotional incest. Those girls fulfill their needs for emotional intimacy through daddy and he seems to be fulfilling emotional needs through them. Vision Forum encourages that.

I still think there's some missionary or man in Latin America that Jill is planning on...and will be able to use her midwifery and Spanish.

Maybe Jessa will end up with the hottie from the Bates defrauding picture (Lawson? Nathan?) and be a fundie- lite Barbie and Ken.

In one of the episodes, the girls and Jim Bob talk about courting prospects contacting Jim Bob, but he turned them all down. As I recall, either Jim Bob or the girls said that some of them seemed like creeps. So, it's not like there weren't boys pursuing them.

I agree with the idea that if Jim Bob gives one of the oldest girls to a new headship, he'll lose control over them, and their future husbands might not want to be a part of the show which would cut their profits; no exclusive on the wedding or the newest GrandDuggars.

Also, they won't be "Duggars" anymore; they'll have the new husbands' last names, and have to move away to live with their new husbands like Anna -- moving from Florida to Arkansas. Considering how few and far between the fundie families seem to be, that would be a long trip which would keep the new families from really interacting with the Duggar home base.

In one of the episodes, the girls and Jim Bob talk about courting prospects contacting Jim Bob, but he turned them all down. As I recall, either Jim Bob or the girls said that some of them seemed like creeps. So, it's not like there weren't boys pursuing them.

I could be wrong, but my recollection from that episode was these were guys they didn't know who were writing to Boob because they'd seen them on the show. Which I'm sure is very creepy for them.

The problem is, having 19 children all lined up rapidly moves from cute to seriously creepy when half of the 'children' are unmarried adults still living at home. The question is, does Jim Bob realize this, and will he start getting them married off before it becomes a really noticeable issue? Josh got married, what, 5 years ago? People are already starting to ask questions about why none of the other adult children are married or even courting.

I could be wrong, but my recollection from that episode was these were guys they didn't know who were writing to Boob because they'd seen them on the show. Which I'm sure is very creepy for them.

That is how I recall it, too. As a part time performer with a small internet presence (you have to seek me out) who get's email asking to date/marry me, I can tell you it is creepy as hell, not flattering at all, and certainly nothing I would consent to (and not just because I'm already happily married.)

I've never heard them discuss a serious offer of courtship, although there certainly may have been one.

I remember that. Jinger and Jessa were in a talking head about it.

I feel like Boob said at one point he reads them all, prays about it, and discards them unless he thinks personalities will mesh.

I feel like Boob said at one point he reads them all, prays about it, and discards them unless he thinks personalities will mesh.

I did find it interesting that he shares some of this information with his daughters. But then again, it's probably a way to scare them about all of the ebil men out there in the world. Because I'm sure the guys who write to them and request a courtship probably are, as one of the daughters said, "weirdos".

I have been following this thread for a long time. It took a while to think about all of your thoughts. It seems to me that the problem is that there is an extremely small pool of potiantial suiters. He would need to be sufficiantly fundie, high enough on the social spectrum, attractive and interesting enough for one of the girls to give the green light to dad. (And yes, all snark aside, I do think that he would much prefer that his daughter be happy with the choice.) He would need to be able to deal with and embrace the dog and pony show. I think that the Duggars would also like geographic proximity. (I actually think a business deal could seal the geography problem up.)

Add to that that there are 4 marriagable girls in the clan now, with another approaching.

They are going to need to get creative because several sets of aging ovaries hang in the balance.

Mesh with whom? With Jim Bob or the intended J'slave? I think Jim Bob cares more about brownnosing from a future SIL than he does about his daughters' wishes. No way will those girls ever be married off to somebody who can think for himself.

I did find it interesting that he shares some of this information with his daughters. But then again, it's probably a way to scare them about all of the ebil men out there in the world. Because I'm sure the guys who write to them and request a courtship probably are, as one of the daughters said, "weirdos".

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the only information Jim Bob chose to share came soley from the weirdos. He probably never tells any of his daughters about the offers from honest, attractive, nice, harworking men because, as so many people here have wisely pointed out, he would lose control once they were married.

I would not be surprised if Jim Bob regularly picked the worst of the marriage offers, the ones where the suitors clearly displayed psychological issues, and he called his daughters in to look at them while he gave them a condescending speech about how his form of patriarchy is best. "See? Do you understand how much better off you are here in this house, under the umbrella of my protection? Nobody good or decent in the outside world wants to marry a virtuous young lady, they're all just perverts who want to hurt you!"

ETA: riffles

I think that it's encouraging that some of the older girls are pursuing a career more intently than a marriage.

With that said I do think we will have a Duggar wedding in the next year.

I think that it's encouraging that some of the older girls are pursuing a career more intently than a marriage.

With that said I do think we will have a Duggar wedding in the next year.

Jill is, anyway. Until they decide she likes it too much and needs to stop.

Maybe it will be John David's? His parents seem to be grooming him for marriage right now.

A Duggar girl getting married, and leaving the home? GASP! That would force J'Chelle and Boob to take on some of the raising of their own children. I doubt it'll happen. Knowing them, they'd make the girl and her husband build their home on their land, so they can be at their beck and call. These girls are going to be SAHD forever. What a sad life.

A Duggar girl getting married, and leaving the home? GASP! That would force J'Chelle and Boob to take on some of the raising of their own children. I doubt it'll happen. Knowing them, they'd make the girl and her husband build their home on their land, so they can be at their beck and call. These girls are going to be SAHD forever. What a sad life.

There are really only 3 kids that need everyday help (Josie, Jennifer, Jordyn). The rest of the kids should be able to get dressed, brush their teeth and get ready for bed on their own. It leaves two jobs, head cook and head teacher. I think by now the boys know the basics of taking out trash and the girls of vacuuming that they can look at the chore chart or packet. In a few years it is going to be even harder to justify needing 4 J'slaves help. I think they would be fine with 3 right now. If a 14 year old boy can't fix himself a sandwich then the Duggar need a lot more help then we think.

I think JB and Michelle have lost most of the control over the house. The younger kids follow the older kids not the parents most of the day. The kids are certainly not in the same straight line on time as they were 8 years ago. The only way for the family to not lose total control is to keep the kids at home.

Archived