IGNORED

"Harry Potter and the Lavender Brigade" by Doug Phillips

Deleted12

I mean, I love the books, but JK thinks she's a hell of a lot more liberal than she is

This sort of sums up how I feel about JKR. Except I describe her as a typical liberal, because where I am on the political spectrum, "liberal" is just another position further to the right than me. To be clear, making Dumbledore the only gay character and keeping it a secret until after everything was published and it wouldn't hurt sales...I don't consider those typical liberal things.

I once read an article that said the books didn't match her support of Labour because, among other things, they endorse pre-destined saviours of humanity...[link=http://www.theawl.com/2010/11/harry-potter-and-the-incredibly-conservative-aristocratic-childrens-club]the article[/link] says it better than I can. Now obviously, the person who wrote this article is an idiot who didn't bother to read the books before writing about them, and I don't agree with everything they have to say either. I'm way more familiar with the Canadian and American Big Liberal Parties than I am with Labour, but I don't think this particular thing about the books, while being a flaw as far as I'm concerned, is inconsistent with them. They're not exactly all about collective struggles and grassroots action, which I see as the alternative to chosen one theory. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think the author expects JKR to be radical, whereas she's just liberal.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived