IGNORED

Toddlers Killed More Americans Than Terrorists Did

Effie

I think for me to answer 'It is a tired argument,' as it was me who used it. It is tired to me because it was used in my country repeatedly to say why gun control would not work. I am totally respectful of the differences in culture regarding guns. I am not coming from a back round or culture where they were ever seen anything other than tools of war. My first experience of guns was my whole childhood of travelling from Northern Ireland to South. Being forcibly walked out of my parents car at age 8. (licence issues, my Dad's car had an English plate which his licence had not been updated to.) The soldiers with the autos were really nice while pointing them down at our feet as we walked.

What I do not get is the 'it will never work.' No. It won't. Because you don't believe or want it to. It is a we cannot even begin to imagine it, because it will fail. Gangs. Illegal guns. Crime. That aspect is easily disproved by statistics. In any country with bans. Reputable statistics that is. People will pick the statistics which support their argument. Especially from the US perspective.

Honestly cannot see any argument for auto-matic or semi personal gun ownership. Out with military. Sport, hunting, farming I see a necessity.

The argument about self defence I really have given a lot of thought to. When I look at person to person crime I find it hard. You are mugged from behind walking along the street, if your assailant is stronger and bigger than you, your only chance really is to walk about permanently with your gun in your hand. JUST in case this arises. For most of the situations this argument comes up would be the same.

My thought is that it is not a legal change that is required more a cultural one. But to discount countries who have successfully done this and then say ..but this..but that..is just excuses. We have illegal guns. We still have some gun crime. It is FAR from perfect.

But the arguments are tired because we have less dead people.

ETA. The laws here did not go through easily. I have no answer how that would even be possible with so much diversity and political difficulty in the US. But Dunblane made it real for the common man per se.

I understand and I agree it's really more of a culture thing. In America, handgun bans - even if supported by a majority of people - will most likely never happen because our constitution protects private gun ownership. And people cling on to this right so much, it's scary. For many people, it's actually not about personal protection on the streets, it's about protection of their homes and protection against the government (which really is crazy, as if they think in this day and age they would have a chance at staving off the government with a few guns). It's not uncommon to hear some people accusing others of being "un-American" for supporting any type of gun ban (even automatics and such that serve no real purpose).

Our constitution trumps all laws/restrictions/bills, even if supported and voted by the majority of people. Amendments can be repealed and/or given new interpretations, but I think for that to happen, a whole new generation of Americans would have to be brought up with an entirely new perspective concerning gun ownership. Maybe it will happen someday. It would still be incredibly hard considering it's our 2nd amendment but certainly not impossible.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived