IGNORED

Fundamentalist loses faith while writing about evolution

Rachel333

I thought this was interesting, and I think it and especially the comments touch on some of the issues that have been discussed here recently: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... volution/#

A fundamentalist Lutheran engineer spent his life avoiding evolution until he saw some evidence for it in an engineering project. He started writing a book about theistic evolution and in the process lost his faith entirely.

It sounds like the book isn't especially anti-Christianity:

Despite making light of some heavy topics and amply criticizing “the dead end at which attempts to reconcile faith and science seem to have arrived†(p. 12), ours is not another gleeful atheist book. We know how much comfort people obtain from the transcendent promises of their religion, as well as its accompanying social benefits.

This paragraph also sounded a lot like my process of leaving Christianity:

We also understand the motivation to find a way of dealing with genetics without losing Genesis in the process, or Jesus for that matter. “We’ve both done our time in evangelical and fundamentalist Christianity, warding off the cognitive dissonance that arises with the realization of so much error in the founding text of one’s cherished faith. As the yawning abyss of apostasy looms closer, one desperately alternates between stomping on the intellectual brakes and searching for an as-yet hidden way out†(p. 129).

I thought this was an interesting point in the comments:

Evolution is no threat at all to most Christians, and doesn't result in their loss of faith. By far, this is a problem for fundamentalists- which no doubt is why fundamentalists are the ones who go to the most effort to shield themselves, and especially their children, from evolution.

Archived