IGNORED

Men Want Wives Like Their Grandmothers

GeoBQn

:-D For the extra zest, you also could add that high-pitchy "Hallooo!" zu "Frauengold nehmen", but I´m quite sure it will work like a charm: I´m sitting in work here and all my female co-workers of 35-40up remembered Frauengold from their moms.

Apparently they were so "über den Dingen stehend" /"far above all bothering things", they were that high in the sky with fuckin´ Lucy and diamonds, they eventually ate both when getting the munchies!

(Hmmmm, might that explain all the weird 50s recipes with crab claws coming out of sandwiches and wieners in neon-green food coloured aspic? )

:lol: I'm laughing so hard over here. It's perfect because MIL has a habit I loathe of going "Halooo!" in a low monotone voice when she wants your attention. :lol:

This shit must have been addictive as hell. I used to have a slight amphetamine dependency (took it to study and got carried away, let's just say), and I can tell you that I was a super-raging, hyper-emotional BITCH when it started to wear off...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awwww! your MIL is a Halloer!Halloers make me wince too, it´s quite a rude habit in my opinion :/ I´d like to answer them: "Ja, hallo, bitteschön!/Ist dir zu helfen?" - "Yes, hello! Is there a way to help you - anyhow at all?" I don´t know on what term you and MIL dearest are in general, she will get the pun I think :D

I hear ya! I think, this must have been a hard time too for them when they had no possibility to get their next "fix" :think: But this probably explains then some other stuff like that one ad for fabric softner which obviously is staring a bi-polar with heavy hallucinations who´s on the edge to kill her entire family by putting them through the laundry wringler?

(maaan, I love 50/60 german TV ads - trippy like heck)

Awwww! your MIL is a Halloer!Halloers make me wince too, it´s quite a rude habit in my opinion :/ I´d like to answer them: "Ja, hallo, bitteschön!/Ist dir zu helfen?" - "Yes, hello! Is there a way to help you - anyhow at all?" I don´t know on what term you and MIL dearest are in general, she will get the pun I think :D

I hear ya! I think, this must have been a hard time too for them when they had no possibility to get their next "fix" :think: But this probably explains then some other stuff like that one ad for fabric softner which obviously is staring a bi-polar with heavy hallucinations who´s on the edge to kill her entire family by putting them through the laundry wringler?

(maaan, I love 50/60 german TV ads - trippy like heck)

:lol: Maybe she'll be too impressed by my punning in German to be offended!

Amphetamines were super-available in the '50s and '60s - you could buy amphetamine sniffers over the counter and doctors in the US prescribed them for weight loss, mild depression (including postpartum), waking up in the morning, etc. (And of course people drank coffee all day and then booze starting at 5 pm).

hell, it's been more recent than that - remember when there was ephedra in weight loss pills in the '90s? That's speed too.

One of my grandmothers was a gorgeous woman who always looked young for her age. She well known for her love of short skirts, dancing, and more importantly her belief that the men and women in the family should be held to the same standards so all her children learned to cook, sew, and about self defense. My other grandmother was an awful lot like her except she dated, drank, and cursed more. They both worked outside the home and were proud of me when I went to college.

One of my grandfathers loves to brag about how numerous men in the family have served in the military yet the highest ranking military member in the family was his mother who was in the navy during WWI. One of my other great grandmothers had polio as a child so she was confined to a wheel chair. When her husband who was not physically disabled couldn't handle the pressure of raising four children and walked out on the family she did it on her own.

I wonder which one of those women Lori thinks I should be like?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I now love Frauengold :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's the second lady pissed off that the shop doesn't have? I heard it as Calpol. But then if you have Frauengold, who needs Calpol? 8-)

"My grammy never gave gifts. She was too busy getting raped by Cossacks."-Alvy Singer from "Annie Hall"

Out of curiosity, I googled "law dogger". He's a fairly nasty MRA type, who writes articles with charming titles like "How to Bang a Persian Girl".

Sorry, Lori. Not seeing the good ole Biblical values here....but I am wondering what a nice church lady is doing reading this guy's stuff. Is he a pal of Sunshine Mary? Is this your way of dragging more of your kink into your blog while pretending it's Christian?

I don't know if they're pals, but Sunshine linked to this essay a while back on her blog.

It's weird that fundies love to talk about going back to the ways of our grandparents', as it if it was a golden time of wonderful possibilities.

Hmmm, let me see what my grandmothers were doing back in their days.

One was completely illiterate and spent her days toiling on the farm, unable to even make basic transactions because she can't recognize numbers, count past ten or write her own name. Grandmother struggled through a famine that killed millions, and was helpless to feed her family because she had no skillset to offer. She's also had money stolen from her by her own children because she's so illiterate. After grandfather died, she's left virtually helpless and requires someone to perform simple tasks for her like buying groceries

My other grandmother was a bit better, but post-War China was not friendly to semi-literate Chinese women. Husband had to leave the city to work. His money wasn't enough to keep the kids fed (literally). Therefore, grandmother was forced to find a job, but wait, she's not well educated so she ends up as a day laboror carrying loads up on a dangerous barge with a baby on her back! Later, her situation improves and she gets a job at a shop. However, no kids are allowed and she is forced to leave her toddler at home, Locked up. My grandmother prioritized things like food for the family and medicine (for her sick child) over staying home. Her toddler, my aunt, would twice escape from the house and lose herself on the streets......

It was not a pretty sight for women "back in the days". When things get rough, men still open doors for women, but they also shut them out of real paying jobs. The focus on homemaking and not an education meant my grandmothers struggled to feed their children. Surprisingly enough, there have been points in history where husbands don't make enough for their families!!! Children are known to go hungry because their dads don't bring home the bacon!!!

As a result, my grandmothers thought education were very important for all their kids. They realized their lack of one cheated them out of caring for their families.

Does anyone know why Ken and other MRAs think us women should throw away our education and ability to make money so that men could open doors for us and put our luggage in an overhead bin? What's so great about having these little niceties if it means I'm unable to provide for my children? Are these same manly men going to come over and pay to feed my children and send them to college if my husband dies? Because if they aren't, then it's a bad deal. I'd rather open my own doors and have the flight attendant put my luggage in the overhead bin and be independent enough to work and provide for my family.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I now love Frauengold :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's the second lady pissed off that the shop doesn't have? I heard it as Calpol. But then if you have Frauengold, who needs Calpol? 8-)

Kapern = Capers. She is losing her shit because the shop is out of capers and not due to get any until the following day.

My husband's grandmothers were an angry lady who worked in department stores until she was 70+, and an angry lady who took in sewing work well into her 80s. Both of them were by all accounts domineering to their husbands and cold to their children. He strongly disliked both of his grandmothers.

Ooh, capers. Yum! No wonder she's upset!

Booze and speed combined and it was legal and OTC? Wow. Mind blown.

Lori might want to rethink that when it comes to my family.

On Dad's side his grandmothers were both feminists. One was a poet and the other was a no-nonsense mother. Neither of them took any crap from anybody.

On Mom's side one of them could curse and play cards as well as a man, and the other was a suffragist.

Both grandmas of mine were ballsy & amazing. My husband adored them, and I could only

Hope to be similar...but a fundie guy would be horrified:)

One of my great-grandmothers was the polar opposite of the "ideal" fundie woman. She was 75 when I was born so I'm told I missed the scary years - but while she definitely had ISSUES she was the family matriarch, no competition.

One time, not too long after my maternal grandparents were married, she'd made a cake. Granddad, having a few issues himself, started lecturing Grandma (the can't-cook woman) about how it was totally possible to make a good moist cake from scratch and she didn't need to use those box mixes. Grandmother - his mother - came out of the kitchen, put the box of cake mix on the table, and didn't say a word. I don't think he complained about Grandma's baking after that.

This is the same woman who bought my mom and her sister what must have been ghastly, if fashionable, dresses for Christmas one year in the 60's. Orange, with giant zippers down the front. Granddad Did Not Approve, but got a lecture from his mom (like I said, issues) about how young ladies should dress fashionably and these dresses were it. And she was right, within limits of basic decency (for me that would involve no visible underwear, things like that) they should!

And nobody ever had the nerve to ask her how she only had one child. In her 90s she confessed that she'd never wanted children at all and was very unhappy when she got pregnant, so I assume some sort of means were used.

She was not a feminist, I expect, by modern standards, but by golly Grandmother was a force to be reckoned with. She was, by the time I knew her, very much an old-fashioned lady, in a very positive sense. I miss her.

Kapern = Capers. She is losing her shit because the shop is out of capers and not due to get any until the following day.

Ah, capers! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That makes the advert even better!

Archived