IGNORED

Polygamist virgin married off to a girl chosen by leaders

in2eastafrica.net/the-moment-a-polygamist-virgin-22-found-out-god-had-told-a-teenage-acquaintance-that-they-were-meant-to-be-married-for-eternity-and-the-wedding-was-in-2-weeks/

:wtf:

Your daily load of crazy.

Hyrum had been placed into marriage by God with Kellie, an 18-year-old redhead he did not know, who had repeatedly been told by God that he was her husband.

One day church elders, known as the Brethren, who communicate directly with God, called in Hyrum to tell him he was leaving the mission. Days later the mystery as to why was revealed.

He was telephoned by the Brethren and told he had been chosen by a bride and was marrying Kellie Thompson in two weeks.

‘They say there’s a girl that wants to marry me. Her name is Kellie, and that’s all I really know about her.’

Burton’s Centennial Park branch of polygamist Fundamental Mormons, which split from the infamous FLDS polygamists led by imprisoned child predator Warren Jeffs nearly three decades ago, is unique.

The women, who wear makeup and regular, if modest, clothing choose their husbands husband through prayer and counsel with church elders. God, they believe instructs them. They cannot marry until they are 18.

The community’s’ spiritual marriages are preordained and last through eternity, the fundamentalists believe, and having children and living a polygamist life is thought to be God’s will.

For the first several episodes of ‘Polygamy, USA’ viewers saw Hyrum dutifully served his mission.

In Centennial Park the missionaries, who are young men often just out of high school, do everything for the town from garbage collection to handyman services while they work on their morals and prepare to hopefully be husband and fathers.

‘If I follow these rules [of being a missionary], you know, maybe I can bring myself to a point in my character growth where the Lord will bless me with a woman,’ Hyrum explained early on.

But Hyrum had a long wait and was kept as a missionary longer than the average two years. He played by rules all the while hoping to one day get a phone call that God (speaking via the Priesthood Council, aka the Brethren) had agreed he was worthy enough, ready and chosen to marry.

While he waited he could not date and was almost never around women to whom he wasn’t not related. :cray-cray:

One episode showed him organizing a basketball tournament in the hopes a girl would notice him and the elders would respect him.

Unspoken throughout the show, and Hyrum’s angst, is that fact that with each man married to multiple women many men would, by sheer mathematics, wind up with no wife at all.

But Kellie, with God’s voice helping out, chose Hyrum.

Like her intended she was raised in the church, saved herself for marriage and never dated.

‘I wanted to stay virtuous until I was married,’ the teen explained.

Quick to blush, the recent high school graduate was born in Salt Lake City and had lived in Centennial Park for seven years. She explained that Hyrum is her destiny.

‘When I was in about 10th grade I started thinking about my life in the future and Hyrum’s name kept popping in my head, so I prayed about it. And I prayed about it clear til graduation.

‘I went in and talked to the Brethren about it and I said, “I feel like this is who I’m supposed to marryâ€. And they got back to me a few months later and they said, “this feels right to usâ€.’

Hyrum’s end of the betrothal was considerably less time consuming.

‘I got a call from the Brethren and they said, “we have a girl for you to marry and do you want itâ€. And I said yes and that’s how it went down.’

He has openly looked forward to his wedding and to the pleasures of marriage for years.

Once the engagement was official the new couple talked on the phone before their first outing, :evil-eye: a short hike to the site of Centennial Park’s future temple.

There the two casually spoke about one day attending weddings of their grandchildren in that same spot.

:ew:

Hyrum and Kellie had just two weeks to get to know each other before they get married.

‘You make the commitment to each other before you even know each other,’ Hyrum explained to the cameras.

‘I hope Kellie and I have things in common. I hope she agrees in how I want to raise my children.’ :think:

Besides the fact that that it is kinda fucking nice to come to an agreement in things like that before marriage... every single sentence wants to make me pull my hair out.

Virtual dating before meeting at the altar is the new six inches, fundies. You can shove your rulers up your up-does.

When I read this, what went through my head was this: 1) Kellie has the hots for Hyrum and 2)nd Hyrum is afraid of being forever single, so he says OK.

Weird that the girl was the one who made the choice.

My husband's cousin was arranged. He is Jewish both both he and the new bride were adults and had traveled a bit. So far, they seem happy.

Weird that the girl was the one who made the choice.

My husband's cousin was arranged. He is Jewish both both he and the new bride were adults and had traveled a bit. So far, they seem happy.

Is your husband's cousin Orthodox? Arranged marriages still happen, although now a days they do have a choice

Is your husband's cousin Orthodox? Arranged marriages still happen, although now a days they do have a choice

He was Orthodox but seems to have pulled away from his original beliefs.

He was Orthodox but seems to have pulled away from his original beliefs.

That's what I thought whenever I read Jewish & arranged marriages I think Orthodox.

There is more discussion on this in the Polygamy USA thread

Actually in a lot of LDS cults, the woman decides who she wants to marry and the man is bound by God to agree. I just finished a memoir of a polygamist's wife in Mexico, and she was the second wife of nine. Half of them just came to the husband and said God told them they were to marry him.

This should probably get merged with the Polygamy USA thread about the show, but if you aren't watching the show and were surprised by the article above, it didn''t even cover one of the other main characters (do you call them characters when it's a reality show?)... Rosemary. Rosemary is 18 and has been praying for divine inspiration about who her husband will be for 2 years. So far no bolt of lightning has struck, so on this week's episode she turned herslef over to the Brethren (council elders).... basically letting them choose a husband for her. We'll find out next week who they picked, I think. Very odd. She's doing this totally willingly.

There is more discussion on this in the Polygamy USA thread

Uh, sorry about that. Haven't checked that topic yet.

And even here, women have more agency than in fundieland! Can you imagine what a fundie dad would say if his daughter came to the pastor of their church (not him!) and shared whom she felt she was called to marry, rather than waiting to be informed of an interested courter by him?

I have an arranged marriage (42 years) we knew each other and both families thought if we married that we would come back to the fold, since both were dating non-Jewish people. We meet and dated for about 6-8 months then decided to get married. Well the plan backfired on them we never came back, we are practicing Jews just very liberal. His parents still are upset mine are OK with it. So not all arranged marriages are bad.

Actually in a lot of LDS cults, the woman decides who she wants to marry and the man is bound by God to agree. I just finished a memoir of a polygamist's wife in Mexico, and she was the second wife of nine. Half of them just came to the husband and said God told them they were to marry him.

Irene Spencer? I really enjoyed her novel, Shattered Dreams, and its companion, Cult Insanity. She gives a lot of insight into Ervil LeBaron's behavior in his early years, before he completely lost it and started killing people.

This should probably get merged with the Polygamy USA thread about the show, but if you aren't watching the show and were surprised by the article above, it didn''t even cover one of the other main characters (do you call them characters when it's a reality show?)... Rosemary. Rosemary is 18 and has been praying for divine inspiration about who her husband will be for 2 years. So far no bolt of lightning has struck, so on this week's episode she turned herslef over to the Brethren (council elders).... basically letting them choose a husband for her. We'll find out next week who they picked, I think. Very odd. She's doing this totally willingly.

I suppose there's only so many times you can drive around the block scoping out the garbage collectors. Maybe Hyram should have organised a muddy 4 wheeler excursion.

I suppose there's only so many times you can drive around the block scoping out the garbage collectors. Maybe Hyram should have organised a muddy 4 wheeler excursion.

I think the Brethren would be inundated with divinely inspired young women after that! :lol:

Irene Spencer? I really enjoyed her novel, Shattered Dreams, and its companion, Cult Insanity. She gives a lot of insight into Ervil LeBaron's behavior in his early years, before he completely lost it and started killing people.

Yes, actually. Shattered Dreams was... something else. I'm waiting for the other one to return to the library so I can read it.

Archived