IGNORED

8 Things You Can't Do When You're Married

Kelsey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get drag-out, stumble-down drunk

The couple of times that I was drunk, I didn't enjoy the sensation but there is no reason that two married people can't be drunk together. I've been tipsy with my husband and if I had gotten drunk, he would have just carried me home.

I've known married people to do everything on the lists that writer claims that they can't. Although some of the things on the list sound as if the person is immature not single. For example, buying shoes instead of paying the bills. That is not a sign of singlehood but of immaturity.

Use the restroom with the door open

My hubby sometimes follows me into the bathroom when we are talking about something that he finds interesting.

That list is kind of dumb. Since when is it EVER okay to buy shoes instead of paying bills? That's not a single thing, or at least I certainly hope not. The drunk thing I don't really understand either. It boggles my mind when my fellow college students literally say "Hey X, we should get drunk and do stupid activity x tonight!" They don't drink to enjoy the beverage (not that you CAN enjoy $4 vodka), they drink for the sole purpose of getting wasted. At least they won't be doing it in my apartment next semester. :(

I never would've done a lot of those things even before I was married. Buy shoes instead of paying bills? Irresponsible much?

But there's nothing wrong with weeky GNOs, even if you're married. Nothing wrong with having dinner with a male friend. Nothing wrong with going to networking events. Nothing wrong with drinking too much once in a while. Was this list written by a puritain?

This is not making me want to get married. And really, they should add these 8 big no-no's to the marriage contract then. Otherwise, it's still all perfectly legal & fine. Hah! :P

I love how they went on about how lunch is more appropriate for solo male-female meetings. Isn't lunch the PERFECT hello-lover-I'm-wearing-mah-red-lace-panties-with-a-hole-in-them-so-let's-skip-dessert meet up? Sex with a lover/mistress in a nearby hotel between 1 and 2PM before heading back to work. This is how it goes traditionally, non? You're away from home during the day, so you have to squeeze in (pardon the pun :mrgreen: ) all the fun then, before heading back home for dinner with the fam'.

This is more stuff you can't/shouldn't do once you have kids. I still have girls nights - but not sleepovers (both babies still routinely need me at night). Getting drunk would just make getting up early w/kids the next day painful. Buying shoes instead of paying bills....yeah I never did that anyway.

I feel like this article was written by a single person, or maybe a starry-eyed newlywed. Does anyone know if LaShaun Williams is married?

I've been married for 11 years, partnered for 17, and I've:

1) Gotten drunk, with and without my husband, also while in his sober company.

2) Sleepovers with the girls. Vacations with the girls. Vacations with mixed gender groups of people.

3) Drink from the carton. Hey, if it's just him and me, and we swap spit all the time, how gross can it be? We also totally split drinks, like bottles of ice tea and water.

4) Use the restroom with the door open. No, I would never do this, because a restroom is a public bathroom in a public place. I totally use my own toilet in my own bathroom with the door open though.

I don't:

1) Go to the club dressed like a video model. No, never. But I might if I actually had the body of a video model (or much interest in "the club").

2) Solo dinner dates with men. Okay, thinking about it, I cannot actually recall sitting alone in a restaurant with just one man not my husband at dinner time. But this might just be coincidence. Now, if I did, I certainly wouldn't call it a "dinner date."

3) "Network" after 10:00 pm. To be honest, I don't actually network much outside of work at all.

4) Buy shoes instead of paying bills. Of course I don't do this. How stupid would this be?

Who are these people and where did they come up with their rules?

I never went out dressed like a model or chose to buy shoes instead of paying bills, single or married. I have, however, done everything else on that little list both while single and while married.

http://madamenoire.com/64240/8-things-you-can%E2%80%99t-do-once-you%E2%80%99re-married/

And uh, I haven't went potty with the door closed (if there's no company over of course) in the 6 years I've been married. My dogs don't allow that!

I have two cats and a dog and all of the pets are convinced that something magical happens in the bathroom when the door is closed - so the rule in our house is "you'll never pee alone" :D

Hummm. Bills or Jimmy Choos? Sorry, I'm more of a Keen type of person- yay, I'm economical- shoes AND bills (My keens have lasted longer than my Nikes, so I think I can afford a pair of Keens every few years...)

getting drunk with hubby, that can be fun but the hangover is a BITCH, especially with having to take care of the kids the next day. More of a "eeh, those days are numbered" kind of thing than a "no way!". Sharing drinks- we do that unless one of us has a cold. No point in having BOTH parents sick at once, right? ;)

Sleepovers/Girls nights... I haven't had one. Seriously. I want to go to vegas with my best friends, but no one can afford it. More to add to my bucket list.

Hubby and I just leave the doors ajar, unless it is the one in the hallway, that we always close, you never know who will drop by (hello, neighborhood kids, co-worker, MIL, etc). And of course, we never pee alone, we have cats, dogs, and a kid :lol:

I hate networking. I'm not a people person, so solo dinners with men is pretty much moot as well :)

and I am curious, who comes up with stuff like this?! Really, marriages are fairy tales and we all live happily after after in a castle with prince charming...right? :dance: No, I forgot- with a stable full of mice that turn into horses, and pumpkins into carriages. Darn, I forgot that part :whistle:

Is "Video Model" a word? I mean, I guess it makes sense, but it sounds weird.

As for that list, well, I do tend to actually shut the door to the bathroom now that I'm married but that's more of an "other person" thing. I don't leave the door open when my friends or family come over...

My husband has had a weekly guy night since before we started dating. He still has it. I used to use it as my "Yay! I get to watch chick movies and eat total crap for dinner with no judgement!" night but one of the other wives and I are going to start a girls night on the same night. Shocker!!

Sleepovers? I usually didn't do that anyway only because I prefer to sleep in my own bed. If I was at a friend's drunk as a skunk and they wanted me to spend the night I would try my hardest to find a sober person to take me home so I could sleep in my own bed. I've actually made many a new friend that way....

Hummm. Bills or Jimmy Choos? Sorry, I'm more of a Keen type of person- yay, I'm economical- shoes AND bills (My keens have lasted longer than my Nikes, so I think I can afford a pair of Keens every few years...)

A person after my own heart. I LOVE LOVE Keen shoes. :D

I've pretty much done all of these things since getting married. Well, except for buying shoes before I pay the bills. But, I didn't do that when I was single either because it's stupid. You pay the bills first and then splurge. That's called being an adult, not being married.

I have two cats and a dog and all of the pets are convinced that something magical happens in the bathroom when the door is closed - so the rule in our house is "you'll never pee alone" :D

Every cat I've had gets frantic if the bathroom door is shut. They scratch and scratch, so any privacy is totally ruined by the incessant scratching on the door. Better just to leave the door open and not have kitty worrying that I've fallen in or something. (Really, I do wonder what cats think about bathrooms...)

Every cat I've had gets frantic if the bathroom door is shut. They scratch and scratch, so any privacy is totally ruined by the incessant scratching on the door. Better just to leave the door open and not have kitty worrying that I've fallen in or something. (Really, I do wonder what cats think about bathrooms...)

Heh - our bathroom doesn't have a door, and yet the cats still come in and check on me...and climb all over the place trying to get my attention, and head-butt the book I'm reading, and stick their heads under the tap to indicate I should turn it on because they like it :)

My cats always left me alone in the bathroom. I guess they didn't love me very much. :lol:

Did anyone else notice all the sex-pot pictures along with the list?? The sleepover picture totally creeped me out. Can't stand seeing sexified pics of grown women in tiny clothes with childish prints, coy little girl facial expressions, and giant stuffed animals. Always pisses me off.

And the bathroom pic of the "hooker boots" with sheer panties dangling over them. Really?? For what audience is this intended exactly??

I have nothing against ho-boots or sheer panties, it just seemed like a really weird when juxtaposed with the article.

One lady I worked with owned a cat and was petsitting her daughter's two dogs. She closed the bathroom door and when she came out, all three were lined up, waiting for her.

I find the "No solo dinners with men" thing odd, because they warn that someone might... call your husband! The assumption seems to be that you haven't told you husband where you are. Which is just odd.

So I plan to do everything on this list except for using the restroom with the door open, buying shoes and not paying bill, and maybe the networking after 10pm because we all know what that means. As for the solo dinner date with a guy I have guys friends.

Terrie, I thought the "calling the husband" thing was weird too. I have plenty of male friends and a boyfriend. I still hang out with male friends one on one. The BF doesn't worry because he trusts me and he's not an insecure asshole. Plus I tell him all about my friends and what we're up to and such. No great mysteries floating around.

Plus he knows I like him best. :-D

But yeah, who the hell is going to see you and call your husband? People need to mind their own damn business.

My two dogs went crazy when doors were closed. They'd both scratch at the door and whine and bark. That pretty much meant not closing doors.

One of them thought there was a magic door in the shower, too. Just stepping into the shower set her off. She knew that curtain would close and she knew you were going out that magic door behind the curtain. To shut her up I tried talking to her while showering. Hearing my voice agitated her in another way because she could hear me but not see me and get to me.

Guest Anonymous

One of them thought there was a magic door in the shower, too. Just stepping into the shower set her off. She knew that curtain would close and she knew you were going out that magic door behind the curtain. To shut her up I tried talking to her while showering. Hearing my voice agitated her in another way because she could hear me but not see me and get to me.

I feel your pain. My 25 pound terrier mix jumped in the shower with me, then got pissed that he was getting wet, and scratched me half to death while I attempted to catch him and put him back out on the mat. Silly dog, I didn't want you in there!

Oh this is great. I'm reading it out loud to my partner (we've been discussing marriage recently) and he's really bewildered. WRT a girls' night out: 'Um, I'd say, have fun honey, see you tomorrow?'

This article is therefore helping me communicate with my (potential) future husband! But not in the way it was intended.

...uh-oh.

He just broke up with me because I admitted to drinking out of the smoothie carton.

Being married is the best time to get really drunk. You know there's someone there looking out for you.

As for peeing with the door open, if your hubby can see your junk during sex, then he shouldn't freak out about catching a glimpse of you peeing. I would probably close the door for smelly "transactions" though, but I'd do that for anyone who is with me. In this case it's actually better than having a room mate because I wouldn't pee with the door open in front of a room mate unless she was a really really close friend.

I would never buy shoes instead of paying bills even while single, unless I was desperately poor and had no shoes at all. But part of being a grown-up is priorities, and you need to learn that before you get married.

So yeah, life doesn't end just because you get married. There isn't some giant rule book of ways you have to act just because you're married. You just do what works for you.

Uh, yeah, I think that other than the "not paying bills" thing (which should not be okay while you're single either) depends on the relationship. WHY do these sites try to change who a person is.

One of my married guy friends recently posted a list of "how women should act in a relationship" and totally didn't understand that it was telling somebody to be somebody different. Never a stable way to start a relationship in my mind. I'll be myself thank you, I'd rather be single than end up stuck acting like somebody I'm not.

Archived