IGNORED

Infuriating 7x Sunday Post

Jinger_Cat

See, that's just unthinkable to me. Now this child will have to deal with this for the rest of his life, and it's all her fault. WHY would you do that?

What the eff is she so afraid of the "nosy" doctor discovering?

Yep, pretty much. His brain is going to stop taking notice of the messages coming from that eye and will 'turn it off', effectively making him blind in that eye. Even surgery might not be successful and it is certainly far too late for patching. Any improvements with patching are usually seen by the age of 7, after that it's too late.

Someone ought to post there congratulating her for making her son blind in one eye because that is what she has done.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

This is the couple who have been living in a quonset hut in the middle of nowhere, with no electricity, heat or running water. If they haven't considered their children's comfort for this long, what makes us think they will suddenly grow a sense of responsibility?

OP:

My son (age 9) has a turned eye (strabismus). We don't want to take him to the eye doctor right off, as she tends to be nosy.

Is anyone else thinking that she's afraid the doctor will see the bruises?

Surely she realizes that physicians are mandated reporters. Nosy? my ass.

Someone ought to post there congratulating her for making her son blind in one eye because that is what she has done.

She'd just come back that it wasn't her doing, it was the Lord's will. If the Lord hadn't wanted the kid to go blind, it obviously wouldn't have happened.

Is it difficult to join that forum? I'm wondering if I should join and try to convince her to see the doc... but she probably wouldn't listen to a newbie.

Guest Anonymous
Is it difficult to join that forum? I'm wondering if I should join and try to convince her to see the doc... but she probably wouldn't listen to a newbie.

Gabe hates us and knows that we are here, and he wants to ask a bunch of questions about your fundie bona fides. It might be worth a try though, as much as I doubt it would do any good.

That poor kid. I just to smash something, this makes me so upset. I guess his parents don't care about his little life on earth, since they think Jesus will fix him after he's dead. GAH. Too angry to even get my snark on.

Aurora, please try it. Untreated strabismus can cause blindness and *must* be treated. Are there any other FJers on that forum? This woman really needs to be told she needs to get that kid treated.

I had stabismus as well, and I'm grateful my parents got it treated early, starting with the patch, then glasses. Surgery would have been an option if those treatments weren't enough, but in the end, it wasn't needed. Sometimes when I'm really tired, that eye will turn in slightly, but most people don't really notice it.

Now, I do wear glasses as an adult, but that's so I can see things in the distance, and legally drive. That's a genetic thing since most adults in my family wear glasses or contacts, and as far as I know, I'm the only person in the family who had strabismus.

My nephew had this. They did exercises and patches (under the supervision of an eye doctor) and when that didn't work, he had an operation. He was 5 when he had the operation, and it was a really mild case.

Someone should let the poster know that doctors are nosy because they need to know about a child's life in order to recommend appropriate treatments and such. I think this is why Zsuzsu and the like are so against doctors: not because traditional medicine is really evil, but because if you have a ton of kids you see the doctor all the time and they basically know everything about you. That could be dangerous if you are a really shitty parent. For most of us, it's not a bfd.

The Fundie OP's attitude is beyond infuriating. I'm so tempted to go on a rant, but my blood pressure doesn't need that atm, so I'll settle for this -what a dingbat!!!!

According to this article from the American Humane Association, medical neglect is defined as "the failure to provide appropriate health care for a child (although financially able to do so), thus placing the child at risk of being seriously disabled or disfigured or dying."

They supplement that definition with this example: "A child has a chronic disease that can cause disability or disfigurement if left untreated (e.g., a child with congenital cataracts needs surgery to prevent blindness)."

:naughty:

Um, this is most likely a lazy eye.

BUT, I know a child that presented with this at the age of 4. It turned out to be a brain tumor.

A BRAIN TUMOR.

This child's life has been saved and preserved by surgeries and radiation. It has been hell on her and the hormonal effect is had on her body (the tumor also grew around her pituitary). But they caught it just in time.

If that is this little boy's problem- and granted, that is a hell of a big IF- a year or so before attention would mean the difference between survival and death.

Neurons are nothing to fuck around with.

Holy Hell this pisses me off. My oldest had amblyopia induced strabismus. We first noticed it when he was 18 months. He had glasses the minute we could get an appointment with the doctor and she recommended surgery at his second appointment. He had that two months later and is doing great now. We were up to our asses in debt from a failed business venture (still are actually) and didn't have good insurance so we had to scrape up the cash for the doctor to pre-pay. But you know what? We did it because we love our children and take our responsibility to them very seriously.

In fact it was almost physically painful for me to look at my son's crossed eye after I noticed it and before he got the surgery, because I wanted to make it all better right away and I couldn't. How can you be a parent and NOT get ON it immediately??? How??

There are only four reasons I can think of why you wouldn't deal with it ASAP.

1. You can't afford it. (But it's not that much, so this wouldn't really count here I don't think... at least not the doctor visit and eye patch)

2. The child has so many other needs, disabilities, medical issues that this one fell by the wayside. That doesn't mean it's good or right, but would be understandable if your child was say brain damaged, confined to a bed or perhaps had horrible seizures.

3. The parent has a severe disability or there is a crisis in the family, cancer, death, something like that.

4. You don't know how bad strabismus can be.

I don't know if any of these apply here. It doesn't sound like it and that makes me sad.

As a parent who has dealt with 2 and 3, I can see in certain situations where something like that could happen. Also as an on again, off again homeschooler, I can't understand why you would spend so much time into the care and education of your child and then let something that's kind of a deal breaker go like that. I mean you strive to make them literate and on or above grade level. You buy curriculum, you work so hard and do so much for homeschooling... why would you let something that would affect their future go by the wayside if not for a very serious reason? Or possibly the obvious, ignorance or just being unaware of the severity of the situation.

I hope someone tells her that it's a good idea to get it checked. Now.

A kid in my preschool class who had just turned 3 had drops in his good eye to help his lazy eye (the modern version of a patch, I think, to dilate his good eye so his other eye will have to work hard) and it didn't even work well enough for him. He had to have surgery. And he was only barely 3.

I am seriously worried about this kid.

What the fuck does she mean her doctor is "nosy"? If you can stand behind your beliefs and know you're not doing anything wrong, so what if someone is "nosy" about how you're raising your kids? The fact that she's scared of that means she is SHADY.

I can post there, but I joined a while ago, before we became such a big deal. :D

I would post a reply to her, but I don't know if I can do it without blowing my cover.

Guest Anonymous

One of the reason I cannot read their chit is the totally mindless acceptance of child abuse and neglect among these folks. Really it makes me want to start cleaning my guns.

You know, when Jesus talked about God as our Father, He talked about God as the best of all good parents. Baseline decent non-crappy parents, he said, are the sort who, if their children ask for fish to eat, don't hand them snakes, and if their children ask for bread, don 't give them stones. Or the sort who, if their children are in danger of going blind, don't just shrug and let it happen.

But the quiverfull mindset doesn't think of children as asking for or needing anything. They are gifts, assets, prizes: IOW, extra valuable chattel. They are there to make the parents look good. Anything about a child that might make a parent look bad has to be denied. Or whipped out of them. At least they aren't so deluded that they think the eye is demonic and the devil has to be beaten out of the poor kid.

I think that she tried to pray the problem away for years and finally noticed that the prayers aren't working.

Guest Anonymous

Ok for a change of pace I read the education thread. Then I spell checked the posts :lol: Boy that was illuminating.

Some of these families have their minimal physical needs being me, yet they all have computers. The pearls girl and gabe are living pretty rough in the SW but they always have time to run their forums. I can only take this this stuff in small doses.

I glanced through a few pages of the "Healthcare" forum, and there is a lady whose dog came home with a huge deep gash in his head. She wanted to know if she should stitch it up. She went on about how much they love their dog, but they "won't use a vet!" I feel guilty if my dog gets fleas, because it's my job to keep up on things like that.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

So the 'mother' finally answered the strabismus post asking why she didn't take her kids to an optho. She claims eyeglasses are over prescribed. Dumb bitch. I swear these folks would rather their kids suffer.

So the 'mother' finally answered the strabismus post asking why she didn't take her kids to an optho. She claims eyeglasses are over prescribed. Dumb bitch. I swear these folks would rather their kids suffer.

WTH. What would be the danger if her kid was prescribed glasses that he didn't need?

If there is a god that created us, did he not give us brains? And those brains meant that some of us could do things, like learn, and create medicine? So incredibly stupid. And heartbreaking. That poor child.

Glasses are over-prescribed? Unbelievable.

Why do these idiots even have children if they're not going to care for them?

Archived