IGNORED

Mormon woman dies after 6th child (complications)

OkToBeTakei

ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=25091500

Nie mentions it on her blog.

I also want to share how saddened I feel over Katrina's death earlier this month.

I don't know this family, but my heart breaks for them.

I want them to know I will help out in anyway-

Sometimes we don't know why things happen, but can rely on

God, faith and hope to get over something like this.

Actually in this case I would imagine it could be this.

Katrina's family said she began to experience complications associated with placenta previa and accreta when she was five months pregnant. This is a condition where the placenta attaches itself to the uterus or other organs and can cause hemorrhaging.

"There's a risk of the placenta growing into the uterus and not detaching normally during the time of delivery," said Dr. Glenn Schemmer, a perinatologist at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.

Schemmer said women who have had multiple C-sections are at higher risk for placenta previa and accreta. All of Katrina's previous births had been delivered by C-sections.

What a terrible tragedy. Six children with no mother now.

Not really snarkable more that I am interested to hear if others think her desire to reproduce as per her religious beliefs would negate in her mind the risks? How many c-sections is too many? The risks do increase with the number, although there does not appear a guideline (US) or (UK) that I can find. Is there a safe limit or guideline in other countries?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A woman's body is not a breeding machine. No fucking god in the world would want to see six children motherless just because he wants women to breed armies for him. I mean, no sane god. My heart goes out for those children. I'm absolutely saddened by the story.

My cousin has had 3 C-sections, although her doctors had previously told her it was risky for her to have more than 2 C-sections. In her case she has been through several operations since she was a kid, so that could probably also explain why her body can't handle that many C-sections. For example the skin on her stomach is full of scars after all her operations, so it doesn't recover that well which could lead to infections (I guess).

I can't find anything legislated but the medical consensus seems to be that 3 is fairly acceptable, 4 is pushing your luck and more than 4 you should think very hard about what you are doing because the risks increase exponentially.

How sad. 6 motherless children. 6 children is not a ridiculous amount of children but 6 c sections is pushing your luck too far. I always thought 2/3 was really the max allowed.

I can't find anything legislated but the medical consensus seems to be that 3 is fairly acceptable, 4 is pushing your luck and more than 4 you should think very hard about what you are doing because the risks increase exponentially.

What she said. Although it is different depending on how badly the individual scars. People who form adhesions on the inside can't get away with as many as people who don't.

I used to lurk on the Large Family ans Mo boards on baby center a few years ago and there was a TBM mother who had 14 children, 9 of which were C Sections. I found her blog a while back and she's had two more. Three of her children have married and two of them seem to.be on the path to producing big families themselves (although birth control isn't a sin for Mormons the way it is for fundies so they may slow down later).

She was more careful about her pregnancies than most of the fundies we see here (and seemed to enjoy her children more as well, or at least pretend), but still, 16 pregnancies is terribly hard on your body and 11 c/s is insane.

After my second c-section my doctor talked to me very seriously about the dangers/risks of more c-sections. I don't think she cared about me any more than a semi-interested human cares for another, so I imagine there was some medical basis for what she was saying. If I were a doctor I'd be terrified to take these moms on as patients.

My sister in law is currently pregnant with her 4th, and her first three were c-sections. I'm pretty sure the doctor that delivered the first three (also delivered my first) told her she would not do any more than three. I didn't know if that was the doctor's policy, or the hospital's, or Arkansas guidelines. Or maybe she was just tired of dealing with her.

Sister in law has also told me that she has a "shelf-like" scar from each c-section. I don't know what that means, is that common in c-sections?

Sister in law has also told me that she has a "shelf-like" scar from each c-section. I don't know what that means, is that common in c-sections?

Yep. And if you have any belly at all it hangs over the shelf in a super appealing way! :D

I was told after my 3rd c-section that my uterus was like plastic wrap, and that a 4th pregnancy and delivery could be very dangerous. I'm not going to be having a 4th child or pregnancy, because I'd rather be alive for the three kids I do have.

How sad. 6 motherless children. 6 children is not a ridiculous amount of children but 6 c sections is pushing your luck too far. I always thought 2/3 was really the max allowed.

I believe that Ethel Kennedy had all 11 of her children with c sections.

This is what happens when we convince ourselves that our worth as humans is limited to what we do with our reproductive organs.

A Catholic board I lurk on has some members who lionize women who've died in childbirth. They've made a cult out of Gianna Molla's death and see mothers who refuse to gamble with their lives after surviving a high-risk pregnancy or two as a lesser species of Catholic. Their views are absurd, of course, but in my darker moments I do wonder if their words have ever encouraged a woman, perhaps a pregnancy addict or someone aiming to be more Catholic than the pope, to take on 'just one more' medically inadvisable pregnancy. :(

I was told after my 3rd c-section that my uterus was like plastic wrap, and that a 4th pregnancy and delivery could be very dangerous. I'm not going to be having a 4th child or pregnancy, because I'd rather be alive for the three kids I do have.

I have a cousin who was told the same thing after she delivered her second set of twins via c-section. And despite the fact that she and her husband had planned on more children, they stopped.

I developed life-threatening complications during my 3rd pregnancy and needed to have major surgery afterward.

I had my tubes tied b/c a fourth pregnancy could have killed me. I remember my ob-gyn telling me that it was more important for me to be around for the three children I already had than to attempt to have another.

It's sad that some women are brainwashed into believing that it's wrong to use birth control or to sterilization, even when medically necessary. Michelle Dugger is like this. Another child could kill her but she'll take that risk and leave Jim Bob a widower and 19 kids motherless.

My great-grandma had some kind of surgery that had bad complications, and she was told by doctors not to have any more children. When she got pregnant with her 5th, she was left with the following to scenarios if she carried to term:

1. She lives, and the new baby means that her poverty-stricken family (husband and four existing children) have to stretch their resources even further.

2. She dies, and leaves her four children motherless.

She considered the outcomes, and headed straight for an illegal abortion. The only reason she didn't get it was because my great-grandfather found out and literally dragged her home. She survived and gave birth to my great-aunt, but the family still struggled financially for a long time.

This is why I get irate when Abigail calls women who have abortions for financial reasons "selfish," or when Kelly Bates claims that fear for your safety isn't an adequate reason to avoid having more children. It is NOT selfish to put the health and well-being of yourself and your family (present or future) first.

My sister in law is currently pregnant with her 4th, and her first three were c-sections. I'm pretty sure the doctor that delivered the first three (also delivered my first) told her she would not do any more than three. I didn't know if that was the doctor's policy, or the hospital's, or Arkansas guidelines. Or maybe she was just tired of dealing with her.

How does that work though.. if a woman is pregnant and requires a c-section to deliver, they can't just say "no"... there's a baby in there who needs to come out!

This is why I get irate when Abigail calls women who have abortions for financial reasons "selfish," or when Kelly Bates claims that fear for your safety isn't an adequate reason to avoid having more children. It is NOT selfish to put the health and well-being of yourself and your family (present or future) first.

:clap: Yes to the bolded. I get ragey about limiting access to abortion and even more ragey when judgmental aholes like Abigail and Kelly think it's ok to dictate to another woman what is permissible for that woman's body.

I developed life-threatening complications during my 3rd pregnancy and needed to have major surgery afterward.

I had my tubes tied b/c a fourth pregnancy could have killed me. I remember my ob-gyn telling me that it was more important for me to be around for the three children I already had than to attempt to have another.

It's sad that some women are brainwashed into believing that it's wrong to use birth control or to sterilization, even when medically necessary. Michelle Dugger is like this. Another child could kill her but she'll take that risk and leave Jim Bob a widower and 19 kids motherless.

While I'm sure Jim Bob and the kids would miss her terribly, she'd hardly be leaving the younger kids motherless. Her older daughters have been filling that role quite nicely for years...

All kidding aside though, any religious belief that glorifies martyrs in any form, is sick and sad. I would hope that the god I believe in would agree with me that my duty and commitment should be to the kid(s) I've already brought into the world rather than any future potential ones.

The risks increase exponentially with each c-section.

Personally, my first 2 were a breeze. My 3rd was not, and it took a full month for the incision to stop bleeding. While the doctor never specifically said that I was risking my life to have another, I know that it took a LONG time for things to feel normal, and I was convinced that there is enough scar tissue to potentially cause problems.

I have been told that doctors prefer to stop at 3 C-sections as well. Scar tissue develops after C-sections or any other surgery to the uterus.

Personally, my first 2 were a breeze. My 3rd was not, and it took a full month for the incision to stop bleeding. While the doctor never specifically said that I was risking my life to have another, I know that it took a LONG time for things to feel normal, and I was convinced that there is enough scar tissue to potentially cause problems.

With my first C-section I was driving 6 days post-op to be with my Cloudlet in NICU. With my second, I was writhing in pain from a kidney stone and/or infection and it took me weeks before I regained a resemblance to my old self. Somehow I was not tempted to try for a third and see how that works out.

That's interesting to hear. Each of my c-sections (I've had three and two were emergencies) was progressively harder to heal from than the one before. I also had incision issues with my third. We have pondered having a fourth and have been told by our OB that four is her maximum preference--tho' she claimed she wouldn't refuse treatment of a patient with more.

This reminds me of that PBS documentary about Mormonism where a husband lost his wife to childbirth complications because he convinced her to go against the advice of her doctor and have another pregnancy. I don't remember how many children he was left to raise by himself, but he came across as an asshole as he said he would gladly do it again. In a way, I'm surprised there hasn't been a Mormon Andrea Yates case yet since while birth control isn't considered a sin in the Mormon church, there are plenty of Mormons who don't believe in using it. I know about that blogger with 16 children and a growing brood of grandchildren, as I have lurked on that Mormon board on Babycenter.

I had 3 c-sections and 3 additional abdominal surgeries through the same scar and my body and health is a complete and utter wreck and in constant pain - and I attribute most of that to the multiple surgeries/repairs from surgeries. It's not a damn zipper.

Archived