IGNORED

Whiner lady is at it again woohoo!

OkToBeTakei

zachsgang.blogspot.co.uk/

In between burning herself to a bacon rasher on a California beach. Eating her way around what looks like every fast food outlet in California. Living the Socal life, she manages to post some ill-informed rubbish as usual.

The national news media haven't discovered it, but the issue that is bringing out hundreds of citizens who never before attended political meetings is Common Core (CC). More precisely, it is the attempt of Barack Obama's Department of Education to force all states and schools to adopt specified national education standards for each grade level that will dictate what all kids learn and don't learn.

Common Core means federal control of school curriculum, i.e., control by Obama administration left-wing bureaucrats. Federal control will replace all curriculum decisions by state and local school boards, state legislatures, parents and even Congress because Obama bypassed Congress by using $4 billion of Stimulus money to promote Common Core.

Whatever.

Anti-Obama from the lady who bought her first gun the week after a bunch of kids were murdered by guns.

She is as subtle as a bloody freight train and probably slightly less intelligent. She has not whinged though about slumming it in a teeny apartment whilst on vacation in Cali. That's a first :lol: Actually sounds like fun. Without the sunburn and constant pictures of burgers and fries.

She homeschools :cry:

She is very proud of her 'tan' 8-)

Common Core is stupid, and does nothing to address the underlying issues of educational inequality. But I don't think it was forced through, as neither Alaska nor Texas has adopted it on a statewide level. (Of course, this means that Alaska and Texas don't receive grant money that could be used for education.) We did adopt in in the Anchorage School District though, which has 50% of the states population so there is that. Also, there are some states where common core curriculum is far below their current curriculum.

I think she took her "facts" directly off of the Glenn Beck show. He's been going on and on and on and on about it for months now.

Obama administration left-wing bureaucrats

Aww. That's so cute.

Bleh. The curriculum issue does not really interest me. The UK has a core educational curriculum. It is a bench mark. Most if not all schools exceed it. The whole point of having one is so that the schools which are failing or the children who are being failed by their education provider can be flagged up and addressed. OF course this would go right over Whiner ladies head as the evil government just wants to control her and her like. OR maybe she's worried her 'homeschooling' might not make the minimum bench mark :lol:

I wanted to snark on her tan! I take it skin cancer is not a concern for her.

OKTBT: are you old enough to remember when the National Curriculum was introduced?

It was a SHITSTORM.

And the ENTIRE reason for that was that the powers that beed linked it to their declaration that teachers were terrible and failing and couldn't be trusted to do things properly.

Having a national curriculum to make sure everyone learns everything you want them to learn is a great idea. Introducing it with heavy boots and threats of taking away funding is not.

OKTBT: are you old enough to remember when the National Curriculum was introduced?

It was a SHITSTORM.

And the ENTIRE reason for that was that the powers that beed linked it to their declaration that teachers were terrible and failing and couldn't be trusted to do things properly.

Having a national curriculum to make sure everyone learns everything you want them to learn is a great idea. Introducing it with heavy boots and threats of taking away funding is not.

League tables? THAT I remember.

When is any change popular? It has evolved so much now it would probably be unrecognisable to 1988. But in fairness Julie I was educated mainly in Scotland.

Err I kind of left school in '88. But obviously I was a child a genius and only 5 8-)

I like the idea behind Common Core, especially the math. But I can only compare them to Michigan's old curriculum which I am not a huge fan of. The idea of "rich lessons" appeals to me but I can see why some teachers are not happy about it. I can't see why a homeschooling parent should give a shit though.

My state already had standards and they were similar to the Common Core ones now. I think it's fine to have a set system, mostly due to the experience of people I know when they switched schools in different states and former credits not being accepted. One of my friends moved here from a southern state and had to end up repeating a grade because of the refusal of the local school board to accept most of her credits. She nearly dropped out of school, but really wanted a high school diploma. With an amazing counselor, she was able to finish a semester earlier than she thought. I still think that's beyond wrong to do that to someone and she was braver than I would have been in the same situation. I would quit school and had a few choice words for those who screwed me over before I slammed the doors. Considering we have one of the lowest graduation rates in the country, fucking people over so they can't graduate on time is a rather big mistake on their part. And no, she was far from the only one that happened to over the years I was there. A couple people transferred elsewhere, one to a private school to finish her classes on time, and another one or two dropped out. Common Care isn't going to fix those issues. It won't fix all the awful teachers on tenure who should not be teaching. It won't remove the abusers and predators. It won't fix the poverty. It won't fix the graduation rates. It won't fix the meth problems in rural areas. It won't fix the empty bellies or lack of coats. It's going to take a lot more to fix the system, but the idea of having basic standards of what all children should know is a start.

Archived