IGNORED

Faith Christina Shirley

formergothardite

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, she was, the article from July is old. The one in the first post is from this month. She was found the first time (or returned home by herself), but then ran away again from Journey to the Heart.

"I think she’ll be back," Gothard said. "It’s just one of those steps along the way to help to her to total freedom."

WTF? More like steps along the way to total enslavement, right?

I wish there was a way to help all these kids who want out of these situations.

"I think she’ll be back," Gothard said. "It’s just one of those steps along the way to help to her to total freedom."

Yeah and war is peace. Ignorance is strength. Freedom is slavery.

I hope and pray this girl really does find freedom. And the right people to help her there.

WTF? More like steps along the way to total enslavement, right?

I wish there was a way to help all these kids who want out of these situations.

The way he worded that is just really, really creepy.

In Texas, the police don't do that much to look for 16 yr olds. I used to work for a center that worked with girls in foster care and the older teens that ran didn't get a lot of attention in the system. (Overworked and underfunded system). However since this has gotten some media attention and it would make ATI look better if she was found, there will be more effort to find her, I imagine.

I hope she did run away and nothing more nefarious happened. It also bothers me that she is labeled "missing".

Wish we had signs for lost fundie girls. Come here - we'll help. You'll be safe.

Same here!! That would be great for anyone looking to get away from a religious group!

I hope she can find somewhere safe to go, and doesn't get found.

sadly I don't have much hope for that.

That was my reaction, too. Very scary.

That said, I also hope that she doesn't run from one bad situation into another bad situation (as seems to be the case for young runaways many times).

I dont know where she possibly could go :( I hope shes made plans for where she is going and has found a place to stay, and isnt out on the streets somewhere.

I wish I could help :(

I hope this girl isn't harmed or injured. I agree with another poster, she probably isn't the first to run away from Gothard facility. Maybe this sounds wrong of me, but I somehow hope that this story hits the mainstream media to put a bigger spotlight on Gothard and ATI. I do hope that this girl is ok somehow.

Maybe someone could tip this story to Jezebel or Radar Online. They've posted anti-duggar and quiverfull stories before.

This gives me chills. I hope she's alright.

I don't want to get suspicious without cause; but, that's a pretty calm, cool reaction from someone commenting on the whereabouts of a missing CHILD! Where are this girl's parents in all of this? Why aren't they commenting? I don't care how willful or ill-behaved a child is, if they are MISSING, then take it seriously and stop downplaying the fact that you have no clue where she is. Would it be more pertinent if she were a straight A student from a Mormon family like Elizabeth Smart? It just seems like a total non-reaction?

Obviously isn't concerned about her safety. And he makes it sound as if this sort of thing happens frequently, so no big deal.

In all seriousness, where could she go? This poor kid was likely educated with vision packets, has never used teh ebil internetz, has no fucking idea how to use an iPhone or a blackberry, likely has no money, and doesn't know the geography. She may as well have been released on mars.

For a kid in that circumstance, without a home or shelter to take her in, her long term results aren't good. She'll wind up with a pimp, prostituting herself on the streets. I really hope that she has a plan and a home so that doesnt become a reality. I hate to say that gothard and his creepy cult indoctrination is the lesser of two evils, but the streets are not safe for a naive uneducated fundie.

In all seriousness, where could she go? This poor kid was likely educated with vision packets, has never used teh ebil internetz, has no fucking idea how to use an iPhone or a blackberry, likely has no money, and doesn't know the geography. She may as well have been released on mars.

For a kid in that circumstance, without a home or shelter to take her in, her long term results aren't good. She'll wind up with a pimp, prostituting herself on the streets. I really hope that she has a plan and a home so that doesnt become a reality. I hate to say that gothard and his creepy cult indoctrination is the lesser of two evils, but the streets are not safe for a naive uneducated fundie.

Doesn't Gothard take in troubled teens from the court system for Journeys to the Heart? I'm sure I've read about it somewhere, a local conservative Christian judge was sending kids there instead of to juvenile justice facilities. Judging by the defrauding pic of this girl I'd think she's probably one of those kids, and thus probably has at least some people in her life who support her fleeing the Christian crazy.

Doesn't Gothard take in troubled teens from the court system for Journeys to the Heart? I'm sure I've read about it somewhere, a local conservative Christian judge was sending kids there instead of to juvenile justice facilities. Judging by the defrauding pic of this girl I'd think she's probably one of those kids, and thus probably has at least some people in her life who support her fleeing the Christian crazy.

Last year when she ran away from home she was described as homeschooled and very sheltered, so I think it is an ATI family.

I just blogged about it on a blog network that gets really high Google rankings and I hope it helps to raise the awareness of how bad IBLP is. (once it's crawled by bots, which should hopefully be soon).

I found lots of blog resources to cite, but I'm always afraid that it's not enough to "prove" it to people, especially since I've never experienced ATI. Are there any specific online resources that I *should* link to? I definitely did Recovering Grace and several other sites, but I would love any specific recommendations to add to the post.

I don't know what the rules are about sharing one's own blog on here, but I would be glad to share if people would like.

The article did refer to her as homeschooled and sheltered, but the previous runaway report said that she left her phone and id at home but may have had her ipad with her. Also, when she ran away last summer she had been wearing shorts and the one picture is of her in a strapless dress. I have a feeling that she isn't quite as sheltered as many of the ATI people-- it makes me wonder if she was sent to the training center as a scared straight sort of thing?

I hope she is safe. My greatest fear is that she will be turned into a sex slave by some pimp who knows how to manipulate girls. She is so vulnerable at this point.

Heathen old me is praying for this kid. I pray someone with good intentions will help her. She could be easy pickings for more street smart "entrepreneurs". What will it take to make gothardism blow up in the press and receive the scrutiny in deserves?

Archived