IGNORED

"Distanced to another world", aka passed away???

Stacie

Widows can remarry, but can't be "sealed" to more than one man. And, yes, entire families are indeed sealed. I have no idea how this works out planetwise in the Celestial Kingdom. As many Mormons say, "It will all be sorted out in the hereafter."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen some pretty bad euphemisms since I've been looking up obituaries for genealogy research. I hate "went home" or "was called home." I forget which fundie blogger we follow called a funeral a "homecoming." If "home" is so great and we all aspire to be there, then why live at all? Why don't we all just commit suicide so we can "come home" immediately?

I saw "fell asleep in Jesus" on some old tombstones, which creeped me out.

That's a new euphemism for me. Gag.

I strongly dislike flowery euphamisms for death, nor am I concerned about an afterlife. If there is? I'll be surprised. If there isn't? I won't know. No worries either way. I am concerned with living my life, not worrying about what is impossible to know. Though I know damn well why people do believe, probably the same reasons I won't give up a bit of hope that there is one.

I hate euphamisms for death with a fiery passion. When people die, I say they died. Other people get offended. Dude, they died, that's what they did, I'm sorry for your loss, but grandma died.

I've seen some pretty bad euphemisms since I've been looking up obituaries for genealogy research. I hate "went home" or "was called home." I forget which fundie blogger we follow called a funeral a "homecoming." If "home" is so great and we all aspire to be there, then why live at all? Why don't we all just commit suicide so we can "come home" immediately?

I saw "fell asleep in Jesus" on some old tombstones, which creeped me out.

I hate "went home to be with the Lord" so much that I told me daughters that if they put that or any such crap in my obit I'll come back and haunt them.

Widows can remarry, but can't be "sealed" to more than one man. And, yes, entire families are indeed sealed. I have no idea how this works out planetwise in the Celestial Kingdom. As many Mormons say, "It will all be sorted out in the hereafter."

Maybe there is a celestial planet timeshare system once the men "expire."

I've always had issues with "sealing" whole families in the afterlife and the concept of the man becoming the God of his own world, bringing any wives and kids along after they shuffle off their mortal coils (is that a better phrase for dying? Prolly not.)

Which begs the question, if these men are to become the gods of their own respective planets, along with all their wives/kin/hangars-on, how are their offspring to eventually populate their own respective worlds, apart from daddy's?

The math and logic escapes me here.

And what about the phrase, "up and died?" What's "up" with that?

It mean they died suddenly. The most famous use of up and died is in Mr Bojangles.

"He told of tales of 15 years how his dog and him, they traveled about. The dog up and died, he up and died, after 20 years he still grieves" The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, 1971.

I was lucky enough to hear the Dirt Band play this live in the spring of '74. Steve Martin was their opening act.

e-LVXR6rjXs

'Distanced to another world.' I like it though. Sounds like a trekkie death :lol:

It totally does! :lol:

"Up and died," "went home to Glory," and "was called home" all sound so Southern to me. "Fundina Mae Jones, 85, was called home to the Lord on May XX. She had been the organist for Fundielite Baptist Church in Fundieville, GA, for 50 years."

My family uses "shuffled off this mortal coil". But that's firmly tongue in cheek and not meant to a delicate euphemism.

I don't like or use "passed away" either. No one use euphemisms for birth, so why are they needed for death? It's the opposite of birth and a natural function.

In Ecuador where I studied abroad, they say "dar la luz" for giving birth, meaning "to give the light."

There are some prissy people the next town over (central Conn.) who want "Dead End" signs changed to "No Outlet" and got all vaporish when a newspaper headline announced that a prominent local woman had "died." And some New Yorkers have wanted to have the word "Kills" removed from place names, even though it's Dutch and I'm pretty sure it means something different than the English word.

There are some prissy people the next town over (central Conn.) who want "Dead End" signs changed to "No Outlet" and got all vaporish when a newspaper headline announced that a prominent local woman had "died." And some New Yorkers have wanted to have the word "Kills" removed from place names, even though it's Dutch and I'm pretty sure it means something different than the English word.

Fishlive, NY?

I guess they wouldn't like this Christmas Classic much.

XUFfeTjuPeg

"Gone to see Jesus" or "in the presence of Jesus" is used a lot by religious folks here.

What do those people say when they have deadlines at work? "This project has a time limit that's about to pass away?" :lol:

As a kid in Tokyo I noticed that 回送電車(kaisou densya, it's trains that have finished service for a shift and are headed back to the train yard so are not picking up passengers) had the normal destination sign set to 回送 as you'd expect but they put an English translation under it on some trains, and that English word is... "DEAD HEAD."

I found this deliciously creepy. I would imagine all sorts of bloody horror things that could go on (I loved to read horror comics, yep).

Buses by me now in the US just say "NOT IN SERVICE" on the destination sign, not nearly as fun.

"Kill" is about a stream, it's the same origin as the "kill" in "Schuylkill River." So the "Fresh Kills Landfill" is named that because it's in Fresh Kills, which is an estuary. But certainly after 9/11 when they announced that the debris was being sent to "Fresh Kills" I did wonder if anyone would get upset over that name accident.

Wow, the same sound can have a different meaning in another language? Who knew! (Where's that GOMI drooling smilie when you need it?)

I live on a dead end marked "Dead End". One of the neighbors wants it changed to "No Outlet". The first time I saw a "No Outlet" sign, I thought it meant there was no electricity on that street.

Dead ends in Australia are called (and sign posted as) "no through road".

I live in Massachusetts on a "Not A Through Way" street. Don't see Dead End signs very often anymore, come to think of it, although everyone calls them that.

Dead ends in Australia are called (and sign posted as) "no through road".

Or cul-DE-sac, which is better because it's another language, aka posh.

Or cul-DE-sac, which is better because it's another language, aka posh.

A (crass) friend of mine said it literally means "arse of the bag," which a quick google seems to find agreement on, anyway that always made me chuckle a bit too.

Japanese word for that is completely boring just a "you can't go on from here" (行き止まり ikidomari)

If we're inappropriately laughing at signs though (maybe just I am? Maybe I should sit down now) I kinda had to chuckle at the possible interpretation of the American "SLOW CHILDREN AT PLAY" sign...

"Kill" is about a stream, it's the same origin as the "kill" in "Schuylkill River." So the "Fresh Kills Landfill" is named that because it's in Fresh Kills, which is an estuary.

Thanks so much for this! I did a quick-and-sloppy Dutch-to-English interweb search and came up with nothing. (I feel stupid, because I was born in Staten Island NY, not far from a section called Great Kills, and am sure I used to know what Kills means.)

Archived