IGNORED

"Distanced to another world", aka passed away???

Stacie

Has anyone ever heard this expression before to talk about someone who's passed away?

My friends mom (Mormon) posted a picture online about her dad, saying she'd cared for him for many years until he distanced to another world.

WT?????

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Joseph Smith teach that all faithful Mormons would get their own planet in the afterlife?

That's what I thought, but I've never heard any Mormons that I know cop to that...they talk about Heaven. Not ruling planets....

To be honest even passed away sounds bizarre to me. People die.

Passed away is not a term I hear often. So and so has died is more the norm.

'Distanced to another world.' I like it though. Sounds like a trekkie death :lol:

Didn't Joseph Smith teach that all faithful Mormons would get their own planet in the afterlife?

Yes, he taught that the men did. A lot of Mormons deny it but I'm pretty sure I was taught it before I left. Although I have blocked most of it all out.

Yes, he taught that the men did. A lot of Mormons deny it but I'm pretty sure I was taught it before I left. Although I have blocked most of it all out.

And that the women would be spending eternity bearing spirit children--the souls who need bodies in order to live on Earth, so that's why Mormons oppose abortion.

Oh, and there's polygamy in the afterlife. A widowed Mormon man who remarries gets to have both (or all) his wives in the Celestial Kingdom. Not so widows--in the Mormon Church, women can only be "sealed" to one man. And a Mormon woman who dies single will get assigned a husband in the great hereafter.

I spend entirely too much time on exmormon.com .

That's a new euphemism for me. Gag.

I strongly dislike flowery euphamisms for death, nor am I concerned about an afterlife. If there is? I'll be surprised. If there isn't? I won't know. No worries either way. I am concerned with living my life, not worrying about what is impossible to know. Though I know damn well why people do believe, probably the same reasons I won't give up a bit of hope that there is one.

'Distanced to another world.' I like it though. Sounds like a trekkie death :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Can I just tell you how much I hate the expression "passed away"? The only death euphemism I hate more is just plain old "passed," as in "When my uncle passed, my aunt took up with the pool boy." People around here use it all the time. When my husband first heard it he nearly cracked up. "Passed is a transitive verb," he said. "What did they pass? Go? Gas? Algebra? Exit 83?"

I believe people are afraid to use the word "died." It sounds so final. But hey, it is so final, at least as to the life we know.

Yeah, I hate "passed away" and "passed on" too. When I was a kid, no one ever used those phrases, but now you hardly ever hear anyone say, "Her aunt Myrtle died last night". Myrtle never dies; she passes on or away or just plain passes.

Although "passed on" does appear in this old proverb:

"He's not pining, he's passed on. This parrot is no more. He has ceased to be. He's expired and gone to meet his maker. He's a stiff, bereft of life, he rests in peace. If you hadn't have nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies. He's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-parrot!"

Heh. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who finds the "passed away" euphemism weird.

Worse yet though is the use of just plain "passed." I can't help but think, passed what, an exam?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Can I just tell you how much I hate the expression "passed away"? The only death euphemism I hate more is just plain old "passed," as in "When my uncle passed, my aunt took up with the pool boy." People around here use it all the time. When my husband first heard it he nearly cracked up. "Passed is a transitive verb," he said. "What did they pass? Go? Gas? Algebra? Exit 83?"

I believe people are afraid to use the word "died." It sounds so final. But hey, it is so final, at least as to the life we know.

...and this will teach me to read the entire thread first!! :whistle:

So. Much. Agreement...

WTF is one supposed to do with one's own planet? Like Mitt Romney will have a planet, and his wife will have a different planet, and his sons will all have their own planets? For what purpose?

(I went to see "Book of Mormon" last night - so I'm all hyped up. Super great show.)

Worst euphemism I ever heard was "expired". A student who lived in my dorm died suddenly and the resident counselor--a very nice woman in her 60s--made the rounds to all the rooms to tell anyone who was in that "Jane expired this afternoon". I remember looking at the woman and thinking "what is she spoiled milk or a magazine subscription?".

And Mrs.Youngie--Mitt gets a planet. His wife is just the help meet on his. No planets for women.

This expression reminds me of the Mormon song..

If you could hie to Kolob.

Lyrics

1. If you could hie to Kolob

In the twinkling of an eye,

And then continue onward

With that same speed to fly,

Do you think that you could ever,

Through all eternity,

Find out the generation

Where Gods began to be?

2. Or see the grand beginning,

Where space did not extend?

Or view the last creation,

Where Gods and matter end?

Methinks the Spirit whispers,

"No man has found 'pure space,'

Nor seen the outside curtains,

Where nothing has a place."

Only Mormon could sing about Gods!

Worst euphemism I ever heard was "expired".

That's not a euphemism, at least not in hospitals. It is medical terminology for death.

Really. (Health care professional here).

I work in the medical field as well, and personally prefer Transfer to the Eternal Care Unit or a Celestial Discharge...not to families of the deceased, obviously. I try to use the terms dead or died when speaking to families -so there is no confusion about what has happened.

Oh, and there's polygamy in the afterlife. A widowed Mormon man who remarries gets to have both (or all) his wives in the Celestial Kingdom. Not so widows--in the Mormon Church, women can only be "sealed" to one man. And a Mormon woman who dies single will get assigned a husband in the great hereafter.

So a Mormon woman can only be sealed to her first husband? If she's widowed and then remarried, no "sealing?" Do they actively discourage widowed women from remarrying since there's no point, so to speak?

Also, I've always been curious about this: can't whole families be sealed together? I always heard that kids are sealed to be with their parents for all eternity in the celestial or telestial or whatever world. But if those kids (sons) grow up, marry, have kids of their own, and get sealed to those kids, on which planet/with which family are they for all eternity? Their dad's planet or their own?

In one of my mother tongues, a slavic language, "distanced to the other world", in a very literal translation, DOES mean the person passed away.

Your problem is that you're using logic. There are holes in mormonism large enough to drive a truck through, it's even more incompatible with logic

than most other religions.

Two things: Don't Mormans believe that Jesus had multiple wives and don't women have to be married when they expire, pass, die to get into Heaven? (In other words, no widows or singles allowed).

Archived