IGNORED

Countries/Continents of Your Ancestors!

Anxious Girl

I'm just curious, what countries/continents do my fellow FJers' ancestors' come from? Mine come from Europe and North America! What about the rest of you? :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much all Northern and Western Europe, with some speculation about South Asia and North Africa.

British Isles: Cornwall, England, Scotland, Ireland and Europe: Prussia/Germany and if you go back far enough Normandy/France.

My countries: America, Canada, Ireland, Italy and Northern Ireland!

England, Germany, France, North America, and Navarra in the Basque region of Spain. I don't know what tribe my Native American ancestors belonged to, but most probably Shawnee as they were the most abundant tribe in Kentucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

England, Wales, and Scotland on my dad's side, and German, French, and Swiss on my mom's side. Just recently learned about the Swiss ancestry; I'd always thought it was all German/French from the Alsace-Lorraine and the Palatinate, but that's Grandpa's family. Grandma's family was mostly Swiss. Mom's side all turned into Pennsylvania Dutch when they got here, though. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhh my first post. I love genealogy. My ancestors are mostly from the Netherlands, England, Ireland, and bit of German and Scottish thrown in. Normandy too if I go back far enough. Most of my ancestors where here in the US by the mid 18th century though, they settled in New Amsterdam/New York and New England.

I'm a Heinz 57.

Ok, so on mom's side Czech, English, Welsh, and German. On father's side French, Belgian (Walonian, aka French speaking Belgians), Irish, English, Jewish.

I'm quite interested in the French. My great great great grandfather Jean Claude (unfortunately surname was not Van Damm) immigrated to the US in the 1840's to Missouri and bought several farms. In 1865 he uprooted him and his family to the upper Midwest and moved into the French speaking Belgium community. I'm still trying to work out why, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the Civil War.

Let's see..

England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, Holland. I think that's all of them. Most of my family have been in the US for hundreds of years.

Let's see..

England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, Holland. I think that's all of them. Most of my family have been in the US for hundreds of years.

May I ask who your ancestors from Holland where? Just curious since I have some as well that settled in new Amsterdam in the mid 1600's. Mine include the Van Rensselaer's most strongly as well as the Schuylers, Van Cortlandt's and others.

On both my dad's and mom's side: Syrian

Found some relatives in Ethopia and Brazil too so that was interesting.

May I ask who your ancestors from Holland where? Just curious since I have some as well that settled in new Amsterdam in the mid 1600's. Mine include the Van Rensselaer's most strongly as well as the Schuylers, Van Cortlandt's and others.

Sure. Aerte Janse Verkerk (Later changed to Vankirk) (b. 1655 in Buren. Immigrated & died in Delaware). He's the only one so far. Most are German/Swiss.

Neat, I'm not familiar with that name, although I know that kirk means "church" I believe. Thanks for sharing :-)

Europe-Norway,England,Wales and France

North America-Blackfeet and Canada/French Canadian

You're French Canadian? :o So'm I! :D What a small world!

All over the place. Hawaii, Tahiti, Canada, USA (as of the early 1600s), Mexico (from the 1600s), all over the UK, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, France, China and Japan. If you trace my European ancestry very far back, you get to Scandinavia, Italy, Belgium, Germany, Corsica, and the Middle East as well. I know most people of European descent can say similar things. Then there's the fact that we all started out in Africa.

My son is even more mixed since my husband's ancestry is English, Irish, German and French Canadian.

Wow, Dinaberries, you are truly a child of the world! How did you (or your family) track all these ancestors?

Yeah, I definitely feel like a child of the world! My family is able to trace their family genealogy very far back for several reasons. One reason is because I descend from noble and/or affluent people on many sides of my family so there are lots of records going far back. Another reason is because most of the mixing that went on in my family tree took place in Hawaii starting in the 1800s, so all of the ethnicities I listed first were from people who came directly from those countries in the 1800s and early 1900s. So its pretty easy to find their immigration records since it is relatively recent and the pool of people who emigrated to Hawaii is small compared to most places. Also, my family is really into genealogy because they are very into being descended from illustrious people. So the sides of my family that were more common aren't looked into as much, so all I know about those sides are what countries my ancestors came from. Oh and in Hawaii, it's really common to be very ethnically mixed. If your family has been in Hawaii for a few generations, it's actually a bit unusual not to be mixed.

I hope that all made sense since I'm wrangling my toddler while typing this on my phone!

I thought I was a nice, simple mix of English, Austrian, Italian, and Russian. But in researching my genealogy, I've come to find that the Russian ancestors may have been Polish (although by all accounts, they hated Polish people and used the term as an insult...why would you do that if you were Polish? :? ), and my Austrian ancestors may have been Czech. With the constantly changing borders in those areas, it gets a bit confusing. Now the places the Russian/Polish ancestors were from are in the Ukraine.

English, Scottish, Cornish, and a teeny tiny smidge German (one many times g-grandfather from Hesse; was a Hessian solider too).

• 2 weeks later...

Wales, Scotland, Northern England and a little touch of German. I MUST visit Wales before I die, when I look at photos of it I feel like I've already been there.

I thought I was a nice, simple mix of English, Austrian, Italian, and Russian. But in researching my genealogy, I've come to find that the Russian ancestors may have been Polish (although by all accounts, they hated Polish people and used the term as an insult...why would you do that if you were Polish? :? ), and my Austrian ancestors may have been Czech. With the constantly changing borders in those areas, it gets a bit confusing. Now the places the Russian/Polish ancestors were from are in the Ukraine.

Did your ancestors live in czarist Russia? During that time, Russians were anti-Polish, so maybe your ancestor changed their surname to sound more Russian/married a Russian? :think: Russian Jews also converted to Xtianity to become successfull.

Mom side: English

Dad's side: His dad's people came from Russia right before the turn of the century. Not sure exactly where his mom's people came from----we've run into a few dead ends in searching.

Archived