IGNORED

Scary nutrition plan for teenagers over at Erika's blog?

The issue I am concerned about is the lack of sugar and salt in her diet to balance the intake of water + hot water and tea. You have an adequate amount of sugar (sports drink) and salt (sports drink and salt tablets). I don't see much sugar in Erika's diet except whatever fruit is in the smoothie. Hopefully, she liberally salts all the food but if not, I don't see how she could be getting enough salt, either.

She's probably not salting anything. I was going to add that not having enough salt could make this a concern, but a lot of people do get enough salt in their daily diet without having to add extra.

Edited to add: Looking at the diet they are following (according to what PP posted) it does have a provision for salt (looks like 1/2 tsp. of sea salt at dinner).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suffered though various imposed diets and fasts as a older child and teenager and went through my young adulthood with a myriad of body image and food problems. It wasn't until I was almost 30 that I knew how to eat in a way that was healthy for me, and I still - at nearly 50 - struggle with that.

From this perspective I think that a parent who encourages a teenager to diet when there is no legitimate medical need is negligent. And no, wanting to be a certain dress size isn't a legitimate medical need.

phew, I read that post and came over here hoping to see some other people upset about it. I definitely am concerned about the electrolyte balance, the amount of fluids she takes in is insane. I was already a bit nervous about those raw green smoothies she talks about all the time, since some veggies have a lot of antinutrients and are better off eaten cooked, but this latest post really made me worried. So not healthy.

That diet cuts out some good vegetables and fruits so it is lacking on certian vitamins. It's lacking carbs. Carbs are not evil and they do play an important role in the body. It's not good to cut out entire food groups. It's just not a diet that anyone can maintain for long term. It's a diet that could easily start the vicious cycle of yo-yo dieting.

That was the first time I read this particular blog and I wanted to throw my *damn* computer out of the window after the first paragraph. *smiles*

I love how she points out that Atkins is unhealthy, but her diet isn't looking that much better. It just screams yo-yo. I do hope she's not making her daughter stay on this, it's an eating disorder waiting to happen.

I did cut portions of meat and cooked vegetables in half for snack and dinner the last few weeks (to 4 oz. meat and 1 cup vegetables), which was closer to my normal amount of food intake anyway, in an effort to get done faster. This worked fine for me. Again, the weight loss results were so rewarding!

I cut my calories, fat and nutrients in half, despite their being really low to begin with, and it worked great! No, I don't have an eating disorder, why do you ask?

So Karen the 15 yr old is on a 'diet' is basically how I read the post. Plus all the posts she has deleted Hmmm.

That is a shit load of eggs. 2 fried eggs for breakfast and 2 boiled eggs for lunch.

I have no problem with her going on any diet she wants. She's an adult. But her kids. She controls every inch of their lives. From being tied to pushchairs and highchairs to suit her routine to really who knows what else.

After reading her 'I don't let my kids see my in-laws' post. I feel sorry for Bob. His big thing used to be cooking a good old bacon brekkie on a Sunday. Even that wee pleasure is probs gone for him :(

She creeps me out.

That's half of a gallon. A gallon is 128oz.

Oh, crap. I knew that. :? Really. I didn't go to the SOTDRT, honest. :lol:

I bet it FELT like a gallon in her stomach, though!

I'm certain they are getting enough calories through the protein. What concerns me is that this is basically a body building diet. If there is a suggestion that you might be constipated, maybe you should think more about balance.

*strain* But my chiropractor says it's okay! *grunt*

*strain* But my chiropractor says it's okay! *grunt*

Why does she go to see a chiropractor to have medical advice for a diet ?

Isn't it what nutritionist doctors are for ? :wtf:

This is so horrifying. Her daughter is too old to be abused by spanking and obedience training, so she's resorting to this restrictive diet. I hate and loathe it when people defend fundies and insist that fundies live in some idyllic world where nobody is shallow and they never have body image issues like the rest of us. IMO, they are more likely to have disordered eating and body image issues, made worse since they can't ever admit to having any problems ever.

I am always shocked (and guess I should stop being so!) by how many chiropractors around here market themselves as nutrition and holistic health providers. However, on the ACA website, it says:

"Chiropractic is a health care profession that focuses on disorders of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system, and the effects of these disorders on general health. Chiropractic care is used most often to treat neuromusculoskeletal complaints, including but not limited to back pain, neck pain, pain in the joints of the arms or legs, and headaches.

Doctors of Chiropractic – often referred to as chiropractors or chiropractic physicians – practice a drug-free, hands-on approach to health care that includes patient examination, diagnosis and treatment. Chiropractors have broad diagnostic skills and are also trained to recommend therapeutic and rehabilitative exercises, as well as to provide nutritional, dietary and lifestyle counseling."

I still don't see how a pain in the girl's neck (her mother perhaps?) should warrant a chiro to give this 15 yr such a rigid diet.

I am always shocked (and guess I should stop being so!) by how many chiropractors around here market themselves as nutrition and holistic health providers. However, on the ACA website, it says:

"Chiropractic is a health care profession that focuses on disorders of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system, and the effects of these disorders on general health. Chiropractic care is used most often to treat neuromusculoskeletal complaints, including but not limited to back pain, neck pain, pain in the joints of the arms or legs, and headaches.

Doctors of Chiropractic – often referred to as chiropractors or chiropractic physicians – practice a drug-free, hands-on approach to health care that includes patient examination, diagnosis and treatment. Chiropractors have broad diagnostic skills and are also trained to recommend therapeutic and rehabilitative exercises, as well as to provide nutritional, dietary and lifestyle counseling."

I still don't see how a pain in the girl's neck (her mother perhaps?) should warrant a chiro to give this 15 yr such a rigid diet.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Have seen this desire to rise above the demands of the body and focus purely on the spirit. Hunger, need for comfort, need for companionship....all seen as slightly suspect. One must strive to be content, look perfect and keep sweet....no room for weakness or indulgence...reflects badly on the parents

What would a chiropractor know about nutrition?

I am currently a student in a doctor of chiropractic program and I would not feel comfortable giving that level of nutrition advice AT ALL, it is way out of my scope of practice! Out of an entire doctorate level graduate degree, i have a measly 30hr of nutrition education. Sure I am qualified to suggest to some minor healthful dietary choices, but anything beyond that, I would refer to a registered dietician. I wouldn't expect a dietician or nutritionist to adjust my vertebrae, so I won't give in depth nutrition advice to patients since I am unqualified to give it.

And wow that "diet plan" of Erika's is scary!!!!!!!!

I am currently a student in a doctor of chiropractic program and I would not feel comfortable giving that level of nutrition advice AT ALL, it is way out of my scope of practice! Out of an entire doctorate level graduate degree, i have a measly 30hr of nutrition education. Sure I am qualified to suggest to some minor healthful dietary choices, but anything beyond that, I would refer to a registered dietician. I wouldn't expect a dietician or nutritionist to adjust my vertebrae, so I won't give in depth nutrition advice to patients since I am unqualified to give it.

And wow that "diet plan" of Erika's is scary!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, there are some chiropractors who WAY overstep the bounds of what their degree should impart. I stopped going to one largely because she spent more of our sessions imparting pseudoscientific suggestions about nutrition and trying to sell me bogus herbal supplements than she did actually adjusting any part of my body. (I know there are some here who would probably argue that all of chiropractic is pseudoscientific, but it helped my TMJ when nothing else would, so I am at least receptive to it as a possibility.) She just cold called me again tonight trying to get me to come back. Thanks, but no!

for those of you wondering why she is following the advice of the chiropractor and naturopath, it is because they don't have insurance ( besides Samaritan) and don't go to the doctor. She also doesn't immunize any of them. Who needs medical science when you have Jesus and a diet right?

I think the thing that bothers me most is the whole Jesus part; it becomes a thing where if it doesn't work, either you didn't trust HIM enough, or you better make it work because it has to look like Jesus did the magic. It's a wide open highway to some major eating disorders, health problems, and scary dieting all in the name of Christ.

Don't put that on him. Don't. And especially not for a young girl whose brain is still developing. GAH.

I read the diet sheet thing. (could not see it on my phone yesterday.)

A lot of those foods I love, especially the fish. But I would really suffer without some carb. As much as I love eggs, I could just not eat that many and wonder if she uses as many in the diet due to cost?

Also a quick query. Saute and fry mean the same thing to me. Do they mean deep fry?

I read the diet sheet thing. (could not see it on my phone yesterday.)

A lot of those foods I love, especially the fish. But I would really suffer without some carb. As much as I love eggs, I could just not eat that many and wonder if she uses as many in the diet due to cost?

Also a quick query. Saute and fry mean the same thing to me. Do they mean deep fry?

Saute means to fry in a small amount of fat--basically the opposite of deep-frying.

Saute means to fry in a small amount of fat--basically the opposite of deep-frying.

AH right. I assumed that. Fry/saute to me is the same thing. Deep fry would be a large amount of oil/fat. I mean I don't say sauteed egg. I say fried egg.

I live in deep fried mars bar country. So there is a distinction :lol:

Yeah--saute is fancy-schmancy cooking lingo. I tried deep-fried ice cream recently--can't help wondering how it would affect a Mars bar!

Yeah--saute is fancy-schmancy cooking lingo. I tried deep-fried ice cream recently--can't help wondering how it would affect a Mars bar!

Yes. Fancy schmancy (love this :lol: )

Well basically they put on the same batter as they do for traditional fish and chips. Then fry the mars bar :disgust:

Saying that they also batter and fry pizza, black pudding, sausages, chicken, and a good old spam fritter. Basically anything you can batter and throw in a deep fat frier.

I can just about handle tempura but even that turns my stomach sometimes. I'm a disgrace to my deep fried race :lol:

They sell fried candy bars at the fair, one of these days I'm going to try one.

OMG, the veggie tempura they sell at fairs. I always get it and try to tell myself it's healthy--because nothing healthies-up kale like dipping it in batter and deep-frying it.

Archived