IGNORED

Modest underwear?

Petals

As someone who's the size of a very young teenager (like, 13 years old, not 19) and only 32a, I really only wear what I can find in my size. I don't give a flying fuck about modesty. As long as it doesn't show through my clothes, I don't care. I've been trying to find a lacey bra for my boyfriend to see but I can't find any. I refuse to ever step into VS though, so anyone who suggests it will die. Horribly. (I have asthma and every VS is now filled with this horrible, noxious gas that smells of cheap whore perfume. On top of that... I feel like a pathetic 12 year old even walking past their store. I'm not shopping at a store that makes me feel even worse about myself.)

I never wear thongs. I don't see at all how they're comfortable. I wear bikini panties, which are very easy to find in my size. Boy shorts and hipsters (heh) tend to not fit the way I'd like, especially since I don't like cotton in my butt. Unfortunately bikini panties are damn near impossible to find at stores like Rue 21, Charlotte Russe, Wet Seal etc. that I like to shop at, so I get mine from Target and Wal-Mart.

Have you tried Aerie? They're very nice, pretty bras and panties as well as some pajamas and day-to-day clothes. I like their bras better than Victoria's Secret, and they have a good selection of styles and sizes from AA to D.

http://www.ae.com/aerie/browse/category.jsp?catId=bras

Not breaking the link since it's to a store, not a blog.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
Have you tried Aerie? They're very nice, pretty bras and panties as well as some pajamas and day-to-day clothes. I like their bras better than Victoria's Secret, and they have a good selection of styles and sizes from AA to D.

I second LynnKaboom for shopping Aerie for bras. They are good quality, cute, and very reasonable if you buy them on sale or clearance. I don't have much up top. I'm a 32b which is often the very devil to find, so I love that they always have my size.

I'm so used to fighting with Target and Wal-Mart bras that holy shit that bra is $30!??! So cute though....

Of course I don't think I'll be able to buy them in a store because it's so difficult to find bras my size around here. It's fucking ridiculous.

This. The Mormon church, in my opinion, is one that wants to control everything you do. They control what you drink - no alcohol, no coffee, no tea, maybe no soda depending on how strict your household is. They control what you wear. They control who gets to attend your wedding - only worthy Mormons can enter the temple. Mom or dad isn't a worthy Mormon? Then they have to wait outside. You aren't allowed to masturbate. I find it both fascinating and disturbing, not to mention off the chain weird.

*Disclaimer: I am not and never have been a Mormon, I just read about them on the internet.

I have been a mormon and you are exactly right. They think for you and strip you of choices. They go on and on about "free agencey" but in the end you have to make the right descions or you are filled with a tremendous guilt.

For example I was taught in a young women class that when we get married there are books that we should read because they will teach us about what is unholy sex.

The church is involved in every descion you make in life. It's not a good thing.

Growing up fundie, the type of underwear you wore was really no big deal. The only rules we had were: (1)Wear some, (2) It better be clean and (3) Make sure it's not showing.

I actually got married in my old fundie church so I had to go through their premarital counseling (remind me to write a thread on THAT someday - it was quite the experience!). I still remember being taught that while we had to be pure for the wedding, afterwards married couples could totally..um... "enjoy" one another. And the teacher even told us that lacy underwear and pretty lingerie were one way to feel pretty and since only the wife and her husband would see it, it's secret the two of them could share.

Not totally bad advice even if it was really weird sitting in a room with a bunch of other couples in their 20s getting sex talks from a very conservative, uptight couple in their 60s. Then again, said couple had 12 kids so they must be a little less uptight at home. :D

I'm so used to fighting with Target and Wal-Mart bras that holy shit that bra is $30!??! So cute though....

Of course I don't think I'll be able to buy them in a store because it's so difficult to find bras my size around here. It's fucking ridiculous.

They are a bit expensive, but they last a very long time, and you can get them on clearance for like $14. Before I switched to their bras it seemed like I was replacing them every two months or so because the wire would break in the washing machine and stab me in the boob. Which was kinda painful. :lol: But yeah, you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to bras, and more often than not the more expensive ones end up being cheaper in the long run because you don't have to replace them every two months.

Personally, I've always kind of wanted to try La Perla lingerie. But I'm poor. And one bra from them is the majority of my two-week salary.

They are a bit expensive, but they last a very long time, and you can get them on clearance for like $14. Before I switched to their bras it seemed like I was replacing them every two months or so because the wire would break in the washing machine and stab me in the boob. Which was kinda painful. :lol: But yeah, you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to bras, and more often than not the more expensive ones end up being cheaper in the long run because you don't have to replace them every two months.

Personally, I've always kind of wanted to try La Perla lingerie. But I'm poor. And one bra from them is the majority of my two-week salary.

That is true. All my bras keep getting screwed up in the wash somehow. I've had to throw out at least 3 bras after just a few months after the cups got warped, the hooks got warped and the wires got warped.

That is true. All my bras keep getting screwed up in the wash somehow. I've had to throw out at least 3 bras after just a few months after the cups got warped, the hooks got warped and the wires got warped.

Just in my experience, hand washing is better with bras and some lingerie. If you just fill a sink with cold water and add just a little Woolite or similiar gentle detergent, let it soak for a few minutes, rinse well and do not wring and then put on a rack to dry, your bras, if they were of any quality to begin with, should last for a long time. Mine last for years. Usually my clothes in general go out of style before they wear out. (Of course, if you hold onto things, some come back around again, while others were never a good idea to begin with! - lol)

My niece machine washes and dries all her bras and she goes through them pretty quickly, too. I just don't think they can take the dryer, in particular.

I gave up aerie and started ordering my bras from VS as aerie discontinued my size :( We dont' even HAVE a VS in Alaska, but they do have free shipping (which is $5 to AK) every few months.

However, the wire is poking me in the boob right now. Anyone have a suggestion for a 36DD?

I buy elomi bras - they're awesome, in my opinion! Not cheap, though - they cost $60-$70 each, but in my opinion, they're the best. I buy them from figleaves.com I'm a 36G, so...yeah, not your average size. They make some pretty ones, too, although currently I'm contenting myself with the plain t-shirt type. I desperately needed good bras to wear under my work clothes, and given the cost, that had to take priority over pretty ones.

I had a roommate in college who was an odd size and bought from figleaves.com. She was always really happy with it, and I think there was free return shipping for items that didn't fit.

I have been a member all my life, and have never heard that. It's her personal opinion, and not one I share. Most of the Mormon women I know own lingerie, myself included.

I've kinda skimmed this topic since I'm champing at the bit to tell two stories, so would someone please mention it here if it's been said that going commando is now verboten by some so-called churches?

Asking because the other day, I was in a hecka hurry, put on my flowy, double-layed black cotton, tea-length skirt and went commando -- and poo-yee-shah, it was COMFY!!! Airy as an autumn breeze after a heat wave! Do NOT attempt to make the old Junebug lady give up the occasional commando-style!

I have had a patient tell me that this is a good treatment for hot flashes, going commando wearing a skirt.

My great grandmother said that during The War (WW 1) everyone went commando because all the rubber for elastic was used up by 'the war effort'. Her final decision to just go commando full time was after her non-elasticized panties fell down around her ankles while she was walking in Toronto. She picked them up and put them in her purse and decided not to wear undies anymore (at least until elastic was again available).

Victoria's Secret 5 for $25 cotton underwear is awesome. I wear mostly the bikinis and hiphuggers at work, but I love the colors. It makes me feel a little better about wearing the uniform all the time to know there's something bright and colorful underneath.

I have a whole drawer of the pretty and impractical stuff, but as LPL says, it doesn't matter what it looks like once you fling it on the floor.

I think my life changed for the better when I went to Nordstrom and was fitted for bras. I was going to get a bra and spanx for my wedding, but I walked away with four everyday bras plus the strapless and spanx. It was NOT A cheap trip ($400+) BUT, those babies are amazing. I wash them in the gentle cycle, and line dry--and they still look really good. They all fit my boobs well (34ff) and make my clothes fit better.

I wear cheap cotton undies, but hopefully I'll never have to go back to cheapie bras.

Victoria's Secret 5 for $25 cotton underwear is awesome. I wear mostly the bikinis and hiphuggers at work, but I love the colors. It makes me feel a little better about wearing the uniform all the time to know there's something bright and colorful underneath.

I have a whole drawer of the pretty and impractical stuff, but as LPL says, it doesn't matter what it looks like once you fling it on the floor.

They frequently send a $10 off coupon in the mail, so those 5 pair of panties end up costing $15.

As someone who's the size of a very young teenager (like, 13 years old, not 19) and only 32a, I really only wear what I can find in my size. I don't give a flying fuck about modesty. As long as it doesn't show through my clothes, I don't care. I've been trying to find a lacey bra for my boyfriend to see but I can't find any. I refuse to ever step into VS though, so anyone who suggests it will die. Horribly. (I have asthma and every VS is now filled with this horrible, noxious gas that smells of cheap whore perfume. On top of that... I feel like a pathetic 12 year old even walking past their store. I'm not shopping at a store that makes me feel even worse about myself.)

Have you tried Lady Grace? They advertise themselves as underwear/bra professionals and their advertisements make them seem less edgy and too-much-perfume-y than VS.

Stupid bra fitting question for anyone who's done it: Do you have to get all nekkid for them, or do they measure, and fit you while you are wearing various bras?

Well, for me they put on a "measuring bra"--so I guess one that was smooth and whatnot and she measured over that. Granted, she did get an eyeful eventually (just because I didn't care that much), but she knew how to have me put on the bras so that there was as little nakedness as possible.

Measuring is simple; they can do it right over your clothes, if they have to.

That being said, not all bra brands fit alike, so expect a fair amount of trying on no matter how well you're fitted. I've been a 34 DD since I was 15 and weighed 115 lbs, and I'm a 34-36 DD now that I weigh around 150 (my boobs appear to be impervious to weight gain and loss, which I suppose is good). Anyway, my point is that I've had years and years of experience of being juuust out out of the easy-to-buy range. Even though my numbers never change, it's not uncommon for me to go into a place like JC Penney or Dillards, pick up literally every bra I can find in my size, head to the changing rooms with my arms stuffed full - and try them all on, and go back out for more. If I walk away with two or three, I've done well. And I wash them on gentle and hang them up to dry as well - as everyone should. But just the same, they'll get worn out eventually, and then in a year or two it's back to the store again.

It's like buying jeans - you can't let yourself get discouraged, you have to be prepared to try on dozens.

Have you tried Lady Grace? They advertise themselves as underwear/bra professionals and their advertisements make them seem less edgy and too-much-perfume-y than VS.

Stupid bra fitting question for anyone who's done it: Do you have to get all nekkid for them, or do they measure, and fit you while you are wearing various bras?

Checked out Lady Grace, they don't have many options for my size. Oh wait, they have girls' bras. Note to bra sellers: Never, EVER admit that the 32a bras you are selling are girl bras.

I like the"boy short" style as I think it helps not show lines(I hate lines). I buy whatever is cute on Target clearance, so I got a bunch of $5 ones for $2.

Now I want the $3 VS ones!

I LOVe the boy shorts at VS! I usually get the ones in the "teen" section. They're cuter... but they did have these awesome gingham ones in the big girl section this past sale that I stocked up on!

I wash my bras in a little mesh bag and then air dry them and they hardly ever wear out. I usually get tired of them and decide I want "prettier" ones before they get worn out. Although, being a 34 DD I usually just give up and say, fine I'll just get the boring beige ones again, it's not like anybody's going to see them anyway, and the cycle starts all over again.

I don't go to VS because I can't stand the sales people. I'm the type who likes to browse by myself but they will just follow you around, wanting to help you, recommending things for you to try, asking if you've shopped there before, etc. I know that's their job, but it makes me head straight for the door and go to Target or Penny's where I can shop in peace.

Edited because I DO know the difference between "they're" and "their."

I went to a specialty lingerie shop to get fitted, and they did have to take a look at me naked - but you know, I didn't feel creeped out. She measured me around the ribcage and around the fullest part of my bust, but interestingly, she also measure me from the top of my boob (where it starts to protrude from my chest) to the fullest part (nipple). She wrote the sizes down and then she just kind of looked at me for a sec (which sounds weird but wasn't) and then told me what size, type, etc. I needed. To me, it was more like getting fitted by a seamstress or something - they're not judging you, they see all kinds of bodies, they just need to see what *you* need.

Oh, and I hand wash my bras. After paying $60+ for them, I need them to last as long as possible!!!

I wash my bras in a little mesh bag and then air dry them and they hardly ever wear out. I usually get tired of them and decide I want "prettier" ones before they get worn out. Although, being a 34 DD I usually just give up and say, fine I'll just get the boring beige ones again, it's not like anybody's going to see them anyway, and the cycle starts all over again.

I don't go to VS because I can't stand the sales people. I'm the type who likes to browse by myself but they will just follow you around, wanting to help you, recommending things for you to try, asking if you've shopped there before, etc. I know that's their job, but it makes me head straight for the door and go to Target or Penny's where I can shop in peace.

Edited because I DO know the difference between "they're" and "their."

I wash mine in a mesh bag too, though this apparently didn't stop my best bra from getting warped :(

Though I did have another exactly like it, but still :(

I am a big girl, and I love Lane Bryant bras. I buy them twice a year when they have their buy one/get one sale. It's the only place I know that carries a 40DDD that doesn't ride up in the back on me.

Archived