IGNORED

Modest underwear?

Petals

I don't understand how it's immodest if NO ONE can see it? I understand the LDS distinction because some do wear the magic underwear garments, but how does that apply to non Mormons?

I personally have all styles of underwear: Thongs, boy shorts, bikinis, low rise briefs. Some are sexy, some are just normal with designs on them. Friends say I have a freakish amount of underwear but I like to have options.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite (locked) fundie bloggers has openly admitted to her predilection for cute stuff from VS, and hinted at her and her husband's mutual enjoyment thereof. Now, she is young, and likes wearing trendy jeans too, but she was homeschooled, met the DH at an ATI event, went through courtship and has had 3 babies in 4 years, so I would consider her fundie. As with many things, I think there is a wide variation in supposed doctrine and actual practice.

I also have all kinds of underwear. I like always having various options available to me.

I am unashamed in my love of cotton haynes undies. Though I do wear low rise ones.

I wear the high rise Hanes. I love my Hanes. They are comfortable and don't stretch out.

Can't wear thongs, they are so truly uncomfortable to me. Since I have that little spritzing problem, I have to wear a liner with my undies.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

I'm with you there.

Me too! I feel bad for my underwear drawer now. Feeling frumpy :oops:

Fortunately, Ijust noticed Victoria Secret has a big sale on it's website. Yippee!!

Back to the OP, yes, I'm assuming the writer was referring the LDS garments they wear. They've shortened over time - they once covered neck to toe. Here's a pic of more recent ones:

The religious background to the undergarments is something I had never really looked into - I know you get them at special Mormon shops, and there are urban legends about bullets being deflected from the garments, but what's their religious purpose? According to wikipedia, JS Jr. himself invented endowment and the garments, and "In 1906, LDS Church President Joseph F. Smith characterized as a "grievous sin" any attempt, in the name of changing fashion trends, to modify the 1840s garment pattern, which he characterized as "sacred, unchanged, and unaltered from the very pattern in which God gave them."" Also according to wikipedia, the over/under discussion is finalised: bras are worn over the top, apparently. Given that that doesn't seem in line with what people have said in this thread alone, I would be interested in anyone's views on the religious reasons for garments (over those given at the wikipedia article, I mean).

Here's a funny video I found :) I mean obviously, it's by an atheist channel and is meant to be snarky so please have a sense of humour about it. I'm not trying to insult Mormons. I'm an equal opportunist when it comes to making fun of wacky religious things.

Look, after I had kids my sexy little string bikinis were doing more snuggies than a g-string. I went from hour shape to va-va-voom shaped and little sexy panties were not going to cut for this girl who loves comfort above all us. So what if my almost 94 year old grandmother says that my panties are more fuddy duddy I am not trading in my granny panties for anything and my husband doesn't give 2 hoots when they have been flung onto the floor, the sex is just as great no matter what I wear. So there! I am never, ever giving up my comfy panties just to please anyone but my butt. :P

They don't want women to take pride in their bodies and feel sexy, because that leads to things like thinking for yourself, questioning what you know, flirting with other people and all those other worldly horrors.

It's sick. I'm sticking to lacey bras and boy-short hipster undies. They look fairly good on me, they're comfy, and they're cute.

As someone who's the size of a very young teenager (like, 13 years old, not 19) and only 32a, I really only wear what I can find in my size. I don't give a flying fuck about modesty. As long as it doesn't show through my clothes, I don't care. I've been trying to find a lacey bra for my boyfriend to see but I can't find any. I refuse to ever step into VS though, so anyone who suggests it will die. Horribly. (I have asthma and every VS is now filled with this horrible, noxious gas that smells of cheap whore perfume. On top of that... I feel like a pathetic 12 year old even walking past their store. I'm not shopping at a store that makes me feel even worse about myself.)

I never wear thongs. I don't see at all how they're comfortable. I wear bikini panties, which are very easy to find in my size. Boy shorts and hipsters (heh) tend to not fit the way I'd like, especially since I don't like cotton in my butt. Unfortunately bikini panties are damn near impossible to find at stores like Rue 21, Charlotte Russe, Wet Seal etc. that I like to shop at, so I get mine from Target and Wal-Mart.

I'm not Mormon, so my underwear is definitely colorful and sexy, except for thongs since I've never found any that are comfortable for me. I'm not a big fan of Victoria's Secret's bras, but I do buy underwear there when they have big sales, as it holds up after being washed a lot. I typically wear bikini or boy short styles, as those are what I'm most comfortable in. One thing's for sure is that the only color I won't wear when it comes to bras and underwear is white, as it reminds me of Mormon garments, and the idea that a woman should be ashamed of her body.

I had the opposite problem. When I was a teenager, I was underweight and had DD breasts. I always loved triangle bikini-style bras, but they only ever went up to a C. The bras I had to wear were generally ugly and frumpy and it embarassed me horribly to buy them.

I hate thongs too. I hate the perma-wedgie feel. I always wear boy short hipsters, and I never get cotton in my butt... you can buy them in other materials. The silky ones couldn't possibly leave behind any cotton.

I had the opposite problem. When I was a teenager, I was underweight and had DD breasts. I always loved triangle bikini-style bras, but they only ever went up to a C. The bras I had to wear were generally ugly and frumpy and it embarassed me horribly to buy them.

I hate thongs too. I hate the perma-wedgie feel. I always wear boy short hipsters, and I never get cotton in my butt... you can buy them in other materials. The silky ones couldn't possibly leave behind any cotton.

I'm borderline underweight with A-cup breasts, and I feel like nowadays I'm expected to have big boobs and no ass whatsoever. I literally can't wear one-piece bathing suits. I wear XS tops and M bottoms. In junior's sizes. I'm so glad I'm out of church events where I had to wear one-pieces.

Small bras nowadays are pretty frumpy, but then again stores seem to think they're meant for young girls. Because everyone who is 32a is only shopping in the women's department to feel grown-up, and 32a women do not exist, they're pubescent girls. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I said cotton because I'm just too used to cotton undies. I love cotton undies. Anything else feels weird to me, though it's probably because I very rarely wear anything else.

I was the same back then, I was about a 4 in bottoms and a 8-10 in tops because of my boobs (I'm converting to US sizes). It was hell trying to get clothes that fit well. In high school, the uniforms would only go down to a size 6, and although they fit fairly well mum wouldn't let me wear a 6 because it was too tight in the chest to be appropriate at school. I'd have to wear an 8 and it would be a SACK on me. It's really hard to be petite, especially when your tops and bottoms are different sizes.

Now I'm a size 6-8 top and bottom (although occasionally I'll still need to go up a size or two if the bust is small) and it's SO much easier to buy underwear and clothes. I never thought I'd be happy to be bigger, but I am.

I like cotton too. I wear an Aussie brand called Bonds, and they make the best cotton undies ever. They're totally comfortable and I never get those balls of cotton in my butt. They last forever, too. I'm not sure Bonds in sold in the US.

I'm in love with pretty underwear full of lace and ribbons and things,and tht's what my drawer looks like. And nobody gets to see it, only me!

Do not count the occasional bra strap.

Perhaps they are so obsessed with underwear that nobody sees because they regard the choice of dress as the main sign of a godly/ungodly character. And as they lump any underwear that is not plain in a near-amish sense into the category "woman of the night/whore", a woman desiring or even wearing such kind of things would show their true colours: Not so godly, apparently.

What utter §$%&/!

As someone who's the size of a very young teenager (like, 13 years old, not 19) and only 32a, I really only wear what I can find in my size. I don't give a flying fuck about modesty. As long as it doesn't show through my clothes, I don't care. I've been trying to find a lacey bra for my boyfriend to see but I can't find any. I refuse to ever step into VS though, so anyone who suggests it will die. Horribly. (I have asthma and every VS is now filled with this horrible, noxious gas that smells of cheap whore perfume. On top of that... I feel like a pathetic 12 year old even walking past their store. I'm not shopping at a store that makes me feel even worse about myself.)

You're not missing much. I've started getting my bras from VS since Gap Body discontinued the style I like. They have exactly what I want, a nice demi, but the only ones that are actually tiny enough for me are usually boring as heck. On the other hand, my skin is so sensitive that I can't wear 90% of lace (any kind of synthetic lace is right out), so maybe that's not such a bad thing? I have some insanely cute 32Bs I got there, but since I can't keep weight on long enough for it to actually reach my boobs they don't quite fit. :cry: Not that that stops me form wearing them anyway, but......

Guest Anonymous

Alas, my underwear situation stinks.

I can probably find cute panties and such, no prob, lane bryant has some cute stuff (i'm kinda a "fat chick" ) however, my bra size? i have a very weird bra size. 34DDD.

There are no pretty bras in that size. They're all army surplus. I have my choice of 3 colors. Beige black or white. :(

Yeah I could buy online, but I don't like buying bras online because of variation in fit even within the same SIZE. :(

I wore garments (Mormon underwear) for over a decade. I was never so glad when I finally decided to ditch them, about five years after I moved to Arizona. It was like getting a couple of inches on my waistline back (from the combination of the top and bottom underneath my regular clothes.) As I'm now older, I'm now getting the joy of the hot flash experience; I have no idea what I'd do if I was still wearing garments.

If someone wants to wear lacy bras and undies under their clothes, that's their business. I've never heard any official church policy on what kind of underwear you can and can't wear. So because I wear sport bras am I too casual for church? Hmm...

This is new since my family left, but I have heard that one of my old IFBx churches has declared VS underwear outlawed. My question is the same as my source's- Who's doing that clothing check?

If you want to go commando it's fine with me as long as you're also wearing clothes (no offense to any nudists here, but that's my opinion). Underwear is the least of the churchs' problems. In fact, they would be better off if they would pay a lot less attention to underwear. . .

I never wear thongs. I don't see at all how they're comfortable.

It's like anything else: you get used to it. I thought the same thing once upon a time. Now that I've been wearing them for so long that when I put on regular underwear, that feels uncomfortable. My thongs are not the sexy, g-string type. They are pretty much utility - high waist, all in beige or black (just like my bras - lol - boring, I know).

I hate the VS stores, too, for similar reasons. I order from their catalogue if I buy from them, and since I don't buy their bras, that's easy enough.

I've kinda skimmed this topic since I'm champing at the bit to tell two stories, so would someone please mention it here if it's been said that going commando is now verboten by some so-called churches?

Asking because the other day, I was in a hecka hurry, put on my flowy, double-layed black cotton, tea-length skirt and went commando -- and poo-yee-shah, it was COMFY!!! Airy as an autumn breeze after a heat wave! Do NOT attempt to make the old Junebug lady give up the occasional commando-style!

Commenting, secondly, to recall the time that t-shirt bras were the rage on the modest-dressing list I joined. Not padded bras that keep the nipples from showing: T-shirts. Cut and twisted and sewn into cheap, modest [sic] over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders!

That was when i realized that this extreme version of cultural christianity was NOT going to be my solution to my problems. :D

Guest Anonymous
They don't want women to take pride in their bodies and feel sexy, because that leads to things like thinking for yourself, questioning what you know, flirting with other people and all those other worldly horrors.

This. The Mormon church, in my opinion, is one that wants to control everything you do. They control what you drink - no alcohol, no coffee, no tea, maybe no soda depending on how strict your household is. They control what you wear. They control who gets to attend your wedding - only worthy Mormons can enter the temple. Mom or dad isn't a worthy Mormon? Then they have to wait outside. You aren't allowed to masturbate. I find it both fascinating and disturbing, not to mention off the chain weird.

*Disclaimer: I am not and never have been a Mormon, I just read about them on the internet.

I happen to know from working retail that unmarried Mennonite girls wear cute, whimsical, brightly colored underwear while married Mennonite women wear nice satin and lacy stuff and also purchase teddies and negligees well into middle age. We're talking cape dress and lacy cap people.

I happen to know from working retail that unmarried Mennonite girls wear cute, whimsical, brightly colored underwear while married Mennonite women wear nice satin and lacy stuff and also purchase teddies and negligees well into middle age. We're talking cape dress and lacy cap people.

I was actually fascinated by 'plain dress' for months, and one 'mainstream' woman on one forum was very, very confused as to why two Mennonite women were shopping at the VS store she was in.

I don't think Mennonite churches are quite as insane as run-of-the-mill fundies. Sure, they're not big on modern technology and their women really do dress the same, but that's not their entire life and they are allowed to enjoy sex and have some privacy and original thoughts. And ffs at least the Amish have rumspringa. More modern fundies don't have any of that at all, no release, no privacy, nothing.

For what it's worth, I knew a woman who went to BYU and said she and her friends would throw each other wedding showers where they would give the bride-to-be lots of lingerie. Not all Mormons are uptight about that sort of thing.

This is making me feel guilty about my own boring underwear choices. Perhaps I need a shopping trip soon; I definitely need new bras. I guess I just don't really care what my underwear look like, so long as they're comfortable.

Archived