IGNORED

Sister wives coming back?

Eternalbluepearl

I've always thought Robyn was a total opportunist. Not that I blame her, life is really hard for single mothers (even more so in a community like theirs that is so marriage obsessed/religious). But yeah, she knew what she was doing. I feel so bad for Janelle and Christine...it seems obvious that Meri was always catered to as the first wife. Then Robyn comes along and becomes the new favorite. They must feel so inadequate. :cry:

most definitely! I completely agree!

Also, a few things that have started to bug me again with those 4 wife specials:

The constant "this was so bad! The paparazzi and cops were there. We didn't know if we were going to be arrested for bigamy."

first of all, since none of them are legally married (except for Meri and Kody at that time), there was no law broken, as far as I understand. They were basically a dude with his wife, and his baby mamas on the side. I think it only becomes illegal if you have several marriage certificates, which they didn't.

ETA: They wouldn't be the first "celebrities" to call the "paparazzi" on themselves. *cough* Kate plus 8

Secondly, how staged was the whole "they are coming for us!" *cue police sirens sound effects*.

Honestly, I think they just outgrew their house. Especially with adding Robyn and her kids to the mix. I think they had a TV show willing to pay for the move and the building of four brand new homes. I go to film school and have had several internships but I don't think most of us need that experience to see how "reality" TV works and how much families being documented get thrown at them (see Duggars etc...I mean the Duggars even had their sponsors fill up their pantry for years! All that canned food etc). They were in those separate houses for a while WHILE the other houses were being built. Also, editing can do wonders and really mis up the timeline of what actually went down. They could have been in those separate far away from each other's houses for 2 weeks or 2 months.

I am just getting tired of them bringing that whole being persecuted over and over again. I doubt anybody cared. And then Robyn's emotional appeal "This is not the America I learned about in school" :cry: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

most definitely! I completely agree!

Also, a few things that have started to bug me again with those 4 wife specials:

The constant "this was so bad! The paparazzi and cops were there. We didn't know if we were going to be arrested for bigamy."

first of all, since none of them are legally married (except for Meri and Kody at that time), there was no law broken, as far as I understand. They were basically a dude with his wife, and his baby mamas on the side. I think it only becomes illegal if you have several marriage certificates, which they didn't.

ETA: They wouldn't be the first "celebrities" to call the "paparazzi" on themselves. *cough* Kate plus 8

Secondly, how staged was the whole "they are coming for us!" *cue police sirens sound effects*.

Honestly, I think they just outgrew their house. Especially with adding Robyn and her kids to the mix. I think they had a TV show willing to pay for the move and the building of four brand new homes. I go to film school and have had several internships but I don't think most of us need that experience to see how "reality" TV works and how much families being documented get thrown at them (see Duggars etc...I mean the Duggars even had their sponsors fill up their pantry for years! All that canned food etc). They were in those separate houses for a while WHILE the other houses were being built. Also, editing can do wonders and really mis up the timeline of what actually went down. They could have been in those separate far away from each other's houses for 2 weeks or 2 months.

I am just getting tired of them bringing that whole being persecuted over and over again. I doubt anybody cared. And then Robyn's emotional appeal "This is not the America I learned about in school" :cry: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I live just miles away from where the Browns were in Utah, and I have to tell you: It was a big deal. They were intending to prosecute them, but not the way they talk about it. The unmarried moms didn't necessarily have income, which meant they were eligible for Medicaid and Welfare. That's generally what the issue is in Utah with polygamous families. Kody could list his legal spouse and legal child as being covered, but he didn't have to list his other children. Then they would be eligible for Medicaid and WICK and other social benefits in the state. Janelle, who did have a job, was using Christine as daycare, but Christine would have had no mentioned source of income, and Janelle could claim so much in childcare, but had no spouse, so both would be a single parent with many children... Both then eligible for certain benefits. I am sure Janelle had some insurance, but her kids might still have been eligible for CHIP and other programs.

They do prosecute for bigamy in Utah, but they also prosecute for welfare issues and other issues endemic to polygamy. Obviously, someone went looking into their lives after the show went big. They could also indicate that since they'd lived together for years and years, they had "common-law" marriages, and then they had a ceremony filmed on TV for their show. All this, and they would still be welfare eligible. Anyway, no one ever mentions this. I don't know why. My sister lived in the Washington County area (where lots of polygamists lived) and this was the single biggest issue in their area. Kids who lived under the poverty line because their parents weren't legally married.

One of the fall-outs was that Meri lost her job, so that was a big deal in the news here, too. The biggest thing that happened after the Browns left Utah was that they WON part of their court case (the part about common-law marriage) which means they could not be prosecuted in Utah any longer.

I totally watch this show because I know people who knew them. :popcorn2:

I live just miles away from where the Browns were in Utah, and I have to tell you: It was a big deal. They were intending to prosecute them, but not the way they talk about it. The unmarried moms didn't necessarily have income, which meant they were eligible for Medicaid and Welfare. That's generally what the issue is in Utah with polygamous families. Kody could list his legal spouse and legal child as being covered, but he didn't have to list his other children. Then they would be eligible for Medicaid and WICK and other social benefits in the state. Janelle, who did have a job, was using Christine as daycare, but Christine would have had no mentioned source of income, and Janelle could claim so much in childcare, but had no spouse, so both would be a single parent with many children... Both then eligible for certain benefits. I am sure Janelle had some insurance, but her kids might still have been eligible for CHIP and other programs.

They do prosecute for bigamy in Utah, but they also prosecute for welfare issues and other issues endemic to polygamy. Obviously, someone went looking into their lives after the show went big. They could also indicate that since they'd lived together for years and years, they had "common-law" marriages, and then they had a ceremony filmed on TV for their show. All this, and they would still be welfare eligible. Anyway, no one ever mentions this. I don't know why. My sister lived in the Washington County area (where lots of polygamists lived) and this was the single biggest issue in their area. Kids who lived under the poverty line because their parents weren't legally married.

One of the fall-outs was that Meri lost her job, so that was a big deal in the news here, too. The biggest thing that happened after the Browns left Utah was that they WON part of their court case (the part about common-law marriage) which means they could not be prosecuted in Utah any longer.

I totally watch this show because I know people who knew them. :popcorn2:

thank you so much for your insight! I still maintain that it was super dramatized for TV and it sounds like they were "wanted" for things other than what they've been claiming on TV. I can definitely see how them trying to snag benefits could become a legal issue but on the show they (Robyn mentioned it) claimed that they were in trouble for "bigamy". Sounds more like welfare fraud or whatever you wanna call it. I really appreciate your input! Thanks for sharing! :handgestures-thumbup:

No problem. The fact that they can't prosecute bigamy in common-law cases has changed the polygamy lawsuits in Utah. I agree with all of you that they left thinking the law was going to follow them was just drama, drama, drama. They didn't even take all their possessions. They bought new when they got to Las Vegas. I always thought that was stupid if they were so poor. I still can't figure out how they afford what they have--do any of them have jobs other than the TV show? I can't even imagine what TLC pays them. It must be a lot. :wink-kitty:

No problem. The fact that they can't prosecute bigamy in common-law cases has changed the polygamy lawsuits in Utah. I agree with all of you that they left thinking the law was going to follow them was just drama, drama, drama. They didn't even take all their possessions. They bought new when they got to Las Vegas. I always thought that was stupid if they were so poor. I still can't figure out how they afford what they have--do any of them have jobs other than the TV show? I can't even imagine what TLC pays them. It must be a lot. :wink-kitty:

I appreciate the insight, too. Makes sense. But the way it was portrayed--closing the curtains, the children are terrified--if they prosecute for things like welfare fraud, don't they just send a notice to appear in court, rather than do a SWAT team raid?

I appreciate the insight, too. Makes sense. But the way it was portrayed--closing the curtains, the children are terrified--if they prosecute for things like welfare fraud, don't they just send a notice to appear in court, rather than do a SWAT team raid?

can we also just ignore the fact that if they really WERE being "wanted" by the police for bigamy and they leave the state, that they then would have the FBI on their heels. I mean, it made for great drama and "reality television" but...

I'm curious about the welfare fraud. Yes they are technically cheating the govt but are these extra wives any different than single moms with deadbeat husbands? They could be viewed as victims trapped in a patriarchal culture. Nothing would change if they threw the husbands in jail for bigamy. Then even the official wife would go on welfare too.

The two things that stood out to me about the latest episode:

1. If the divorce and remarriage is just a means to an end with no emotional meaning, then why was there so much drama about it?

2. Before going through the "restructuring", wouldn't it have been sensible to consult with a family law attorney to see if adopting Robyn's kids was even feasible?

I also wondered why, in a polygamous arrangement, there is a need to legally marry any of the wives. Kody is such an egomaniac that he wants all the children to have his last name, that's all. And Robyn's little takeover plan will be complete. I liked the show better before Sobbyn joined, when they were in their plyg house. Its a clusterfluck now.

The two things that stood out to me about the latest episode:

1. If the divorce and remarriage is just a means to an end with no emotional meaning, then why was there so much drama about it?

2. Before going through the "restructuring", wouldn't it have been sensible to consult with a family law attorney to see if adopting Robyn's kids was even feasible?

I also wondered why, in a polygamous arrangement, there is a need to legally marry any of the wives. Kody is such an egomaniac that he wants all the children to have his last name, that's all. And Robyn's little takeover plan will be complete. I liked the show better before Sobbyn joined, when they were in their plyg house. Its a clusterfluck now.

1. Meri seems to be the only one who is really freaked out by it, and that's because she is a professional whiner. She demands constant sympathy from everyone (especially Kody) for being the first wife, the infertile wife, and now the martyr wife. Even Robyn seemed annoyed with her in the last episode...and seriously, Meri was being ridiculous. "This piece of paper means nothing. But it means SOMETHING." Wtf come on girl.

2. This family makes no sense. Either they are actually clueless, desperately needed a subplot for this season, or Robyn and Kody wanted to make their perfect marriage official. Robyn's ex is obviously not going to sign over the legal rights to his kids to Kody.

And I totally agree, I always go back and watch the first season episodes (before Robyn was married). Poor Christine has never recovered from Robyn coming into the marriage. :/

I was shocked at how awful Meri looks. She looks very different than when the show started and does not look very healthy. I wonder if all the stress is starting to get to her. Janelle on the other hand actually looks better. Like she has found a confidence she didn't possess before.

1. Meri seems to be the only one who is really freaked out by it, and that's because she is a professional whiner. She demands constant sympathy from everyone (especially Kody) for being the first wife, the infertile wife, and now the martyr wife. Even Robyn seemed annoyed with her in the last episode...and seriously, Meri was being ridiculous. "This piece of paper means nothing. But it means SOMETHING." Wtf come on girl.

2. This family makes no sense. Either they are actually clueless, desperately needed a subplot for this season, or Robyn and Kody wanted to make their perfect marriage official. Robyn's ex is obviously not going to sign over the legal rights to his kids to Kody.

And I totally agree, I always go back and watch the first season episodes (before Robyn was married). Poor Christine has never recovered from Robyn coming into the marriage. :/

Meri sure is a professional whiner! She whined her way to that wet bar that she deserves because of the spirit babies she never had. Sobbyn is the professional crier, ugh. Supposedly the wives have veto power over a new wife coming in, but peer pressure likely prevents them from using it. Meri is still first wife and I don't think she will let them forget it, legal marriage or not.

I haven't watched this show for years, but I've been watching Big Love and the way this and other Sister Wives threads read, it almost seems like the Browns are looking to BL for storylines. I expect Meri to announce she's a priesthood holder and/or Kodouche to run for office next. :roll:

I'm curious about the welfare fraud. Yes they are technically cheating the govt but are these extra wives any different than single moms with deadbeat husbands? They could be viewed as victims trapped in a patriarchal culture. Nothing would change if they threw the husbands in jail for bigamy. Then even the official wife would go on welfare too.

You are correct, but there IS a father, he is known, and therefore should have been responsible for all children. I do know that people in Hildale and in other similar communities have been charged with welfare fraud.

I don't mean to imply that Kody wasn't going to go to jail for polygamy. People were (up until the last court case) jailed and did time for polygamy in Utah. We take it really seriously--because regular Mormons get tired of others thinking everyone in Utah can have spare wives. In 2012, they could have put him in jail--but he'd have been eligible for bail. (Now, of course, he'd be considered a flight risk). However, here's the thing: the police announced that they were investigating. The police announced they were considering prosecution. There was no "dead of night" event coming for Kody. The police were very forthright in announcing.

We do have polygamist communities in Utah. No one gets locked up and the key thrown away! The drama for the TV show was made up.

:violin:

Has he cut that terrible hair yet?

Kody's hair. SO. BAD. Dude, be like Elsa: Let it go.

Don't EVEN get me started on his pony tail. OR when he let the wife flat iron it. REALLY?? He didn't even sorta-kinda resemble Keith Urban (and that's what they were going for.)

:pull-hair:

There are serial monogamists that have kids with several women. The women left behind go on welfare and the only difference is that dad and mom don't have sex anymore. Or maybe they do once in a while who knows. Maybe the laws need to concentrate on making poly dad's financially support their kids.

I am appalled he takes Wifey #3 on a counseling/vacation in Galveston, and they have to build a tower of rocks together - to symbolize their relationship - and he immediately places FOUR rocks as the foundation.

Nice couples counseling exercise, Kode-meister.

I am appalled he takes Wifey #3 on a counseling/vacation in Galveston, and they have to build a tower of rocks together - to symbolize their relationship - and he immediately places FOUR rocks as the foundation.

He was so wrong for that. The wives are just a means to an end for him, really just one wife with four parts.Kdouche is clueless. This woman had six of his babies and he can't be bothered to put her feelings first on their anniversary? I like him a tad better than JimBoob but not much. Both are horribly insensitive and carry harmful attitudes about women, although Kdouche usually hides his better.

And what was up with Meri and her mean mugging? She looked hostile and disengaged. Downright mean. Probably still suffering over the loss of her meaningless legal marriage.

Someone mentioned this idea on cynical jynx's blog and I thought it was spot on: Kody uses the "we gotta think about the family!" to deflect criticism and force his wives to deal with their negative feelings by themselves. It also is manipulative in that it makes them feel guilty for being so "selfish" and not thinking about the good of the family.

And what was up with Meri and her mean mugging? She looked hostile and disengaged. Downright mean. Probably still suffering over the loss of her meaningless legal marriage.

I haven't been keeping up with all of the drama but apparently Meri supposedly got involved with someone on twitter, but it really turned out that she was being catfished? Maybe she's genuinely disengaged from the marriage and family as a whole.

Is anyone else super skeeved about the incestuousness of their family?

For example: Janelle was married to Meri's brother and divorced him to marry Kody & become wife #2. That could also explain their animosity toward each other to a degree. And also that Kody is 2nd cousins with Robyn's first husband? Meaning that the kids he's trying to adopt are really his 3rd cousins? And I think one of the wife's moms (maybe Christine) was married to Kody's dad.

It all just seems a little incestuous and really makes me question their "calling." I am all for four consenting adults having whatever kind of relationship they want, but they should be doing it with their intentions clearly known and without accepting public assistance. Just my 2 cents.

Don't forget that Janelle's mom was married to Kody's dad. One big unhappy family.

Yes! That's who I was thinking of. Idk how there isn't more of an "ick" factor for all of them. And I think they have done a good job hiding/spreading out these tidbits so the occasional viewer would not know about the many many twists in their family tree.

Is anyone else super skeeved about the incestuousness of their family?

For example: Janelle was married to Meri's brother and divorced him to marry Kody & become wife #2. That could also explain their animosity toward each other to a degree. And also that Kody is 2nd cousins with Robyn's first husband? Meaning that the kids he's trying to adopt are really his 3rd cousins? And I think one of the wife's moms (maybe Christine) was married to Kody's dad.

It all just seems a little incestuous and really makes me question their "calling." I am all for four consenting adults having whatever kind of relationship they want, but they should be doing it with their intentions clearly known and without accepting public assistance. Just my 2 cents.

It doesn't bother me that much; I think the polygamist community is relatively small and isolated (along with most of the Utah/Wyoming/Nevada area :P ) so it makes sense that people end up marrying distant cousins/family friends. I'm more disturbed by Kody's obvious favoritism towards Robyn and Meri. Meri is a grade-A grump, and I get that her life is really difficult and all, but she is intolerable. Poor Christine...Janelle is emotionally stable enough to survive in a circus like the Brown family, but Christine is super sensitive and definitely NOT getting her needs met. :( Also, side note...Christine's daughters are gorgeous!! Aspyn especially!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived