IGNORED

Sister wives coming back?

Eternalbluepearl

Years ago I heard it is expected by 27 years of age a mormon male will have served a mission but missions for mormon females are optional. I also heard the family has to pay their child's mission expenses. Does anyone know if what I heard is accurate?

The family does pay the mission expenses for their child, in addition to the tithing they already pay. I've also heard that Mormon males do face intense pressure to serve a mission at 18 now, or as soon as possible if they're a convert who is under 27.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have yet to find any religion that can provide rationale answers when some of their doctrine is challenged. The best I can say about Mormans is that "Book of Morman" is one of the most entertaining musicals I've ever seen.

The age switched to 18 for men(it was 19) 19 for women(it was 21) last year. This is a huge change. Almost every male leaving high school is 18. (the cut of age in most school districts in july 31). College enrollment is so down at Utah's colleges (except the U and Y) that professors are being cut to half time or let go. AP classes are being dropped at high schools. At the high school graduation I attended this year mission letters were opened(not college letters) and the rate of kids going from high school directly to college dropped 60% in one year! the big question is what will happen in 2-3 years. Will these young men and women come back and go to college? get married and try to go to college? Go to college out of state instead of in state?

The saddest part is I feel women are not going to be getting an education now. they used to have to wait till 21 to go on a mission so most would have a degree already, now leaving at 19 they are lucky to get a semester or a year at college and coming home at 21, will they really finish or get married??

Missions now cost a flat fee of $400 a month(they used to be based on location of the mission so a kids going to NYC paid $1000 a month while those going to south America paid $100)..the money is then distributed to cover rent and expenses. Most of the time it was expected for the missionary to raise half and the parents to pay the other half. Now that kids leave right after high school, parents are covering more or if they can't afford it church members help. $400 is actually steep to a lot of parents since college costs less.

I also heard 25 is the cut off for missions now? There has also been a huge push after one of those general conference talks about marriage by 25. Our area now has 2 packed single wards and the members are going door to door talking to active members over 25 that are not married or even asking neighbors.

I also find it interesting that with the new rules the LDS church is closing in on 75,000 missionaries which means about a 1 to 150 ratio of missionary to church member. Seems very very high. Also there are now currently more Mormons in Latin/South America then the US. Occasionally I bring this up to church members and it is a big sore spot that the church is dwindling quickly in the Us even with the large missionary army. God needs to be whispering into President Monson's ear that change is needed...

I can't imagine there is a rational answer to that excellent question. I always thought that some prophet didn't bother to think that through as he was making up all these rules for getting more women to warm his bed.

There is no rational answer. Author Irene Spencer, who for many years lived in and eventually got out of a polygamist cult, asked this question in religious class at the ripe old age of 5, and got taken out of class for punishment. She observed that it was the way you got in trouble inside polygamy - you were supposed to listen and absorb the teachings of the faith, and not question them, even when they seemed ridiculous or contradicted themselves.

I also heard 25 is the cut off for missions now? There has also been a huge push after one of those general conference talks about marriage by 25. Our area now has 2 packed single wards and the members are going door to door talking to active members over 25 that are not married or even asking neighbors.

I didn't think there was a cut off? You can't go on an individual mission if you're married, but otherwise I thought you could go as old as you want. This lady is going for the second time at 45: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... tml?pg=all

Janelle was in line in front of me today at the Walmart in Lehi Utah. First thought was that her hair was bleach blonde and that she looked thinner. I was thinking of all the things I could say to her, "You forgot to buy celery for Cody", or ask her if she had ever walked in on Cody and another wife. Or tell her she is my favorite of the four of them, I am team Janelle all the way. But I just kept my mouth shut and stared at her from behind.

Merri's Mom lives a few houses down from mine. We have seen Cody and the family a few times.

Jen

My late father-in-law, who was a non-devout Christian, always had a standard answer when people with religious tracts would come to the door. He looked at them with a serious demeanor and said "We're Druids". It took a while for them to digest this statement and gave him enough time to shut the door before they could utter another word.

Janelle was in line in front of me today at the Walmart in Lehi Utah. First thought was that her hair was bleach blonde and that she looked thinner. I was thinking of all the things I could say to her, "You forgot to buy celery for Cody", or ask her if she had ever walked in on Cody and another wife. Or tell her she is my favorite of the four of them, I am team Janelle all the way. But I just kept my mouth shut and stared at her from behind.

Merri's Mom lives a few houses down from mine. We have seen Cody and the family a few times.

Jen

Meri grew up in polygamy right? So, is her mom living with the dad (assuming he is alive) and the other wife?

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook. I thought I would share it ITT.

no_soliciting_sign-r3dba903ca4844075abfac38a93cbd0e5_fomuw_8byvr_512.jpg?bg=0xffffff

Is there any actually sign that you can buy in real life? If so, I might want to buy it. :lol: :D

Is there any actually sign that you can buy in real life? If so, I might want to buy it. :lol: :D

Yes. I have a really nice sign that matches my door hardware with a similar saying that I bought a few years back and placed it above the doorbell. I was sick of people ringing my door bell trying to sell me something or trying to get me to visit their church. It worked. :dance:

I think there are several versions available. Just google or bing whatever .... "no soliciting . found jesus" a number of sites come up with signs for sale. One is etsy.com

One of the few advantages of living in an apt solicitors are few and far between. I've lived in my apt for close to five years and have had a total of 2. One was a veteran who was doing it for a veterans charity. The other was a child with severely irresponsible parents who sent them out by themselves to sell candy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a commercial during Breaking Amish (I know, I know, but I like trainwrecks) and Sister Wives is slated to have another premiere on July 21st. Complete with door slamming and aaaaaaaangst, from the preview...

• 2 weeks later...

The premiere for the next season is up "On Demand."

More of the same it seems. Kody is peddling angst over getting the houses in the beginning of the episode. Robyn is fussing about a window.

Just saw a commercial during Breaking Amish (I know, I know, but I like trainwrecks) and Sister Wives is slated to have another premiere on July 21st. Complete with door slamming and aaaaaaaangst, from the preview...

I can't stop watching that one either, no matter how awful it is.

Apparently the first episode of the new sister wives is On Demand for those with Comcast... I'll be cheerfully mocking it tomorrow over breakfast.

Will Meri get pastries for her wet bar? That's what I want to know...

Omg that wet bar.

It's on demand on my FIOS too. I'll have to squeeze it in but tonights a big night, what with the breaking Amish reunion, the real housewives of new jersey, Dexter, AND True Blood.

The episode definitely showed that their online business isn’t doing well. (You can watch it OnDemand if you have Comcast). How much longer are they going to drag out the Robyn/Meri surrogacy story line? You’d think that if she really wanted to try IVF, she would’ve done it by now. She’s not getting any younger. It’s interesting that most of the wives have talked about walking away at one time or another. I wonder what Kody would do if one of his wives decided to leave. It was interesting to people’s reactions to them at the trade show. It’s going to be an interesting season. That’s for sure.

I am watching the premiere on demand now (FIOS). Seems like the same bullshit to me.

Dexter was on tonight, so at least I got to see something decent lol.

Does anyone know what TLC pays them?

Must be a lot if they can afford to buy FOUR of those houses with almost no other income, all those kids, and documented poor credit histories.

Does anyone know what TLC pays them?

Whatever it is it's too much for such low quality actors. I'd rather watch my elderly (but completely spoiled) boxer with his too long stub attempt to hike his leg high enough to "clean himself" IYKWIM ActuallyI could see Notes attempting to do the same thing. Sorta like the golden retriever version. :D

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived