IGNORED

Sister wives coming back?

Eternalbluepearl

Mariah I believe graduated a few days ago? She is going back to Utah for sure. I think she is going back to Utah for friends and dating possibilities (I 100% think she is staying polygamist) & will enroll in a community college. This is another reason why Vegas was such a stupid move(or a selfish move for Kody's wants). In Utah if your high school student takes college prep classes & maintains a 3.5(which is pretty easy compared to my high school) you get free tuition to state schools. Now Kody has to pay tuition but out of state tuition! Logan is living in a dorm not at home and his school is 15 minutes away so those huge houses aren't even going to save money on room and board. I can't see any of the kids wanting to stay at home. I see them visiting but not living there.

Southern Utah and Neveda(which have a lot of the same home builders) have the weirdest building restrictions and CCR's that I have ever seen. Lot prices and fees are outrageous for new construction and you get very little choice. The Browns (I will give them credit for this) wanted a good public school & there are no lots that would allow multi family or the type of house they wanted in the district. I ran into the same in issues. I picked the best school district in southern Utah & a .20 acre lot with impact fees would be 125k before I poured concrete and I was not allowed anything solar(it is sunny 350 days a year), only block walls no fenecing, a lot of lots wouldn't even let me have a master bedroom on the second floor? so forget about 3 kitchens and 4 front doors!

The house in Lehi was fine. It was a quiet street right off a main road to the highway so the city was quickly accessible. The yard was huge, property tax and ulilites cheap. There was no reason to move. The Dargers who were on one episode of sister wives and had one special on TLC still live in the area as open polygamists and no Darger has been arrested. Kody wanted fame and easy money and he got it. It bothers me that Kody is the face of polygamy. Kody is to Polygamy like Jim Bob is to quiverfull/ATI. They both have home church, they both do not seem to know the Bible well, and both seem to love the fame of having made so many babies.

The jewelry is junk. They were at a local convention last year and I looked at it and it was Claire's quality. They did not return to the conventions or epos they were at last year so I think the jewelry is fizzling.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it weird that they decided to stay in Vegas when all their family and friends and church members all live in Utah. Utah decided not to prosecute them so why not move back? Their children are much less likely to be polygamists growing up in Vegas and going to public school.

Vegas was Kody's dream and it is all about Kody. Nothing about Vegas is good compared to Utah for any member of the family besides fame whore Kody.

I adore Sister Wives Blog. That was the best thing that came from the show. (Sometimes I think that the snarking on Robyn isn't all warranted, but I probably wouldn't get along with her at all IRL, so...)

I do know that Aspyn just graduated, and I'm almost positive that Mariah did, too. Then Madison's starting her senior year this fall, and Mykelti and Hunter the year after that?

And Mariah is SO going to be polygamous. She's been so vocal about it, and after you say things like that on National tv, I think that there's a bit more incentive to actually follow through.

Silverspoons, you're like our insider! :) Did you actually talk to any of them when you were checking out the jewelry?

I think buying 4 houses is much better than having just a huge house, because it makes it easier to re-sell them. There's no way they'll be able to keep all those houses once the TLC money runs dry.

I just took a look at their jewelry site. Ugh. Completely lives up my expectation of it being feeble. Simplistic designs designed by committee. "Design by Janelle, Robyn, Meri and Christine Brown" Really? It took four of you to come up with this? What, they sketch something out on a piece of paper and send it off to let a real artist/craftsperson do the real work?

I have lots of questions about their move to Vegas. From what I've seen (I've never been there), Vegas looks insufferable. I have been to Utah, and it is beautiful. Although I would never want to live there myself, I can't see why people like the Browns would want to leave, especially since it was their home. Was Kody truly in some kind of legal shit? Or was that all staged?

And if they're building houses from scratch, why aren't they building a multi-plex like their old one in Utah. I mean if I was a polygamist, I would think that would be the ideal structure, separated, but together under one roof. Unlike four single-family dwellings. I mean if you have to live apart, maybe you shouldn't be in a plural marriage in the first place, know what I mean?

It was staged. Utah wont go after a polygamist unless there is evidence of underage marriage or other illegal activity (besides polygamy). There was an investigation on the family. But, that should be expected when you flash your ass at the law.

• 4 weeks later...

According to the Brown's social media, instagram.com/p/ar_Ai1IGD2/# (plus several cryptic tweets from several family members), Kody's brother, Curtis, has passed. He and his wife (singular) were on one of the episodes. I didn't think it was news worthy of a new thread, but I also wanted to bring it up.

At times like these, I wonder how people reconcile different religious beliefs within families? Do people really think those who believe differently are rotting in torturous eternity, in some "okay, but not heaven" state, etc. I know that plyg families are fond of saying, "this isn't for everyone" but doesn't that just mean heaven isn't for everyone?

Closed Womb, I had the same questions. I posted over at SWB to ask some of the LDS that are active there to explain to me what the Browns may tell their kids about where Curtis' soul is. He didn't believe in the principle or The Book of Mormon, so does that mean to them he's not in heaven?

Closed Womb, I had the same questions. I posted over at SWB to ask some of the LDS that are active there to explain to me what the Browns may tell their kids about where Curtis' soul is. He didn't believe in the principle or The Book of Mormon, so does that mean to them he's not in heaven?

I lurk on SWB, so I'll be looking for an answer. Thanks for asking over there.

I've always wondered if plygs considered mainstream Mormons saved (like most mainstream Christian religions consider other mainstream Christians saved regardless of denomination label.) And, if so, do they extend that belief to other forms of Christianity.

It has always really bothered me that many interviewed polygamists say "this life is not for everyone." I mean, it's annoying when people try to convert me to any religion, but at least if they want other people to see an afterlife. The plyg folks I've seen on TV are more like, naw, Heaven is for me, not for you.

In LDS theology pretty much no one goes to hell (Outer Darkness is reserved for extreme cases--even Hitler wouldn't qualify). At worst you'll go to the lowest level of heaven, the Telestial Kingdom, which is still pretty nice. People in the highest level, the Celestial Kingdom, can visit those in the lower kingdoms. And even if you missed your chance for the CK in this life, you might get another shot at it after you die.

I have lots of problems with LDS theology, of course, but I do appreciate that unlike most other Christians they don't think nonbelievers are doomed to an eternity of excruciating torture.

In LDS theology pretty much no one goes to hell (Outer Darkness is reserved for extreme cases--even Hitler wouldn't qualify). At worst you'll go to the lowest level of heaven, the Telestial Kingdom, which is still pretty nice. People in the highest level, the Celestial Kingdom, can visit those in the lower kingdoms. And even if you missed your chance for the CK in this life, you might get another shot at it after you die.

I have lots of problems with LDS theology, of course, but I do appreciate that unlike most other Christians they don't think nonbelievers are doomed to an eternity of excruciating torture.

Well, that's a relief, assuming that the Brown's brand of LDS believes the same. I feel for the young children who don't have developed cognitive function when a tragedy like this happens in a religious family and the deceased is allegedly not heaven bound. Seems so stressful to think that Aunt Suzy or Cousin Bob is dead and in hell. :?

Well, that's a relief, assuming that the Brown's brand of LDS believes the same. I feel for the young children who don't have developed cognitive function when a tragedy like this happens in a religious family and the deceased is allegedly not heaven bound. Seems so stressful to think that Aunt Suzy or Cousin Bob is dead and in hell. :?

Oh yeah, it's already tough to lose someone, and that makes it so much harder. Christians like to talk about how they don't grieve like "the world" does, but they don't talk about that flip side. Not only do they, like nonbelievers, not have the promise of being reunited with their loved one, they have to deal with the belief that that loved one is now being tortured for eternity.

I don't know about the Browns' group, but I believe the mainstream LDS usually teach that you have to have absolute knowledge of Jesus, as in seeing him in the flesh. Most ex-Mormons wouldn't qualify for that.

CJ just clarified for me that Mormons are Christians, but I want to know about the planet thing. Does that mean that for each man that marries three women and gets his own planet & if his father did the same, that there is a duplicate of that man with a version of him on both his planet and his fathers'? And what if, like Curtis, he didn't believe anymore? Would one version of him be on his father's planet in the Celestial Kingdom & one just be in the Telestial Kingdom? I'm confused.

CJ just clarified for me that Mormons are Christians, but I want to know about the planet thing. Does that mean that for each man that marries three women and gets his own planet & if his father did the same, that there is a duplicate of that man with a version of him on both his planet and his fathers'? And what if, like Curtis, he didn't believe anymore? Would one version of him be on his father's planet in the Celestial Kingdom & one just be in the Telestial Kingdom? I'm confused.

This has always been my question as well! If "Families are Forever" but each man goes on to be the God of his own planet, how are you with your family-of-origin on your dad's planet but on your own planet as a god/goddess simultaneously?

This has always been my question as well! If "Families are Forever" but each man goes on to be the God of his own planet, how are you with your family-of-origin on your dad's planet but on your own planet as a god/goddess simultaneously?

I can't imagine there is a rational answer to that excellent question. I always thought that some prophet didn't bother to think that through as he was making up all these rules for getting more women to warm his bed.

I can't imagine there is a rational answer to that excellent question. I always thought that some prophet didn't bother to think that through as he was making up all these rules for getting more women to warm his bed.

I had quite a long chat with a mormon about this...on the lds website where you can IM with a "missionary"....not sure if they still have it or not, lots of people were kind of Rick Rolling them. But I got on and asked this same question. Because it makes.no.sense.

The missionary's answer was basically 2 part:

-we can come visit you! (no thanks)

-it doesn't make sense now but it will when we die and get there! (uh...)

I had quite a long chat with a mormon about this...on the lds website where you can IM with a "missionary"....not sure if they still have it or not, lots of people were kind of Rick Rolling them. But I got on and asked this same question. Because it makes.no.sense.

The missionary's answer was basically 2 part:

-we can come visit you! (no thanks)

-it doesn't make sense now but it will when we die and get there! (uh...)

Wait a minute, they don't know?! That's a pretty big thing not to understand about your time in eternity. And they're ok with this? What are they flavoring the fruit punch with to make this acceptable? Mind blowing.

Wait a minute, they don't know?! That's a pretty big thing not to understand about your time in eternity. And they're ok with this? What are they flavoring the fruit punch with to make this acceptable? Mind blowing.

My husband went on a mission (years ago) and would have been the quiet one of the pair(he only went out to get away from a stressful home life and never baptized or converted anyone). He said during his 3 weeks of "training" at the MTC they learn the same type of canned answers that you here JB and Michelle spout off. Now some missionaries are very well read and have been prepping for a mission for years and would be able to debate with the best of them. Usually my quiet husband would be paired up with a go getter partner. These missionaires online are either much older or have health issues. They are opening a online center here in St George soon and a retired neighbor is thinking of serving a "computer mission". She is a widow who has never used a computer but can't travel and wants to serve. The other 2 people I know that are missionaries online, one had an accident and was serving overseas and wanted to finish his mission honorably but needed medical care, and the other is deaf. These missionaries are watched like a hawk(and the fear of writing something wrong and going home early is a huge fear), and the main goal is to get the actual missionaries in your house.

Kind of reminds me of the Kirby vacuum cleaner sales people. The just want to get in your house to do a demo, and won't tell you the price over the phone or up front when they show up at your door. The vacuum is great, but I almost went into shock when they told me the price. 2 and a half hours later. I'm too polite. Guess if the missionaries told the hard truth up front they would get shut down too.

Kind of reminds me of the Kirby vacuum cleaner sales people. The just want to get in your house to do a demo, and won't tell you the price over the phone or up front when they show up at your door. The vacuum is great, but I almost went into shock when they told me the price. 2 and a half hours later. I'm too polite. Guess if the missionaries told the hard truth up front they would get shut down too.

My husband said the best response when he had to go door to door on his mission would be, a simple no thank you and have a nice day. Some lonely types would talk their ears off about Utah (like skiing) or another subject or even debate them with obvious no interest in going any further. It is a waste of time for both parties. You would not believe the "numbers" these young men have to get to every week(my husband found a creative way around this so he could sleep in when it snowed, he put a video on pubic access so he could stay in and counted it as reaching a certain "number" of people so he didn't have to go door to door). They would rather hear a quick no thank you then, trying to be polite for a half hour. Of course 50% of the time it is a door slam, that didn't bother my husband but a door slam with cursing did. Now I have one quick line for the Jehovah Witnesses "my son went to school with XX and I will ask his mom if I want to know anything"...works every time. I simply tell the Mormon Missionaries (yes they still visit us) I have all the information I need, have a wonderful day.

Now that the age is lower for missionaries in a 3 block radius of my home there are at least 25 kids on missions now. These are kids that a few months ago were playing basketball in the cul-de-sac without a care in the world. Now the have a rigid schedule and goals that are unrealistic. There is really no need to debate them because I would say a good 25-30% go into a mission happy with the church and leave not liking a lot of aspects of how their church operates & become inactive. The temple recommend rate at age 19 is close to 40% and at age 40 is about 10%. My husband never went back to church (regulary, just for weddings, funerals ) after he returned. It usually is a little longer, they say the 6 month rule. If a missionary comes home as an is not fully active within the first 6 months he/she won't be again. I look at the southern Utah arrests daily and it it is interesting to see how many Levi, Nephi and Moroni's that are in their mid twenty's and are returned missionaries are busted for DUI's and drugs.

Years ago I heard it is expected by 27 years of age a mormon male will have served a mission but missions for mormon females are optional. I also heard the family has to pay their child's mission expenses. Does anyone know if what I heard is accurate?

My husband said the best response when he had to go door to door on his mission would be, a simple no thank you and have a nice day. Some lonely types would talk their ears off about Utah (like skiing) or another subject or even debate them with obvious no interest in going any further. It is a waste of time for both parties. You would not believe the "numbers" these young men have to get to every week(my husband found a creative way around this so he could sleep in when it snowed, he put a video on pubic access so he could stay in and counted it as reaching a certain "number" of people so he didn't have to go door to door). They would rather hear a quick no thank you then, trying to be polite for a half hour. Of course 50% of the time it is a door slam, that didn't bother my husband but a door slam with cursing did. Now I have one quick line for the Jehovah Witnesses "my son went to school with XX and I will ask his mom if I want to know anything"...works every time. I simply tell the Mormon Missionaries (yes they still visit us) I have all the information I need, have a wonderful day.

Now that the age is lower for missionaries in a 3 block radius of my home there are at least 25 kids on missions now. These are kids that a few months ago were playing basketball in the cul-de-sac without a care in the world. Now the have a rigid schedule and goals that are unrealistic. There is really no need to debate them because I would say a good 25-30% go into a mission happy with the church and leave not liking a lot of aspects of how their church operates & become inactive. The temple recommend rate at age 19 is close to 40% and at age 40 is about 10%. My husband never went back to church (regulary, just for weddings, funerals ) after he returned. It usually is a little longer, they say the 6 month rule. If a missionary comes home as an is not fully active within the first 6 months he/she won't be again. I look at the southern Utah arrests daily and it it is interesting to see how many Levi, Nephi and Moroni's that are in their mid twenty's and are returned missionaries are busted for DUI's and drugs.

Typo, but :lol: I put a sign on my front door advising religious peddlers not to bother knocking. Now the Jehovah's Witnesses actually send me letters. Each one says they're not selling anything. :roll:

Back on topic: I hope Kody and his harem stay off TV. He annoys me even more than Jim Bob Duggar does. I think Kody is even faker than JB, which is truly remarkable. Free Janelle!

Years ago I heard it is expected by 27 years of age a mormon male will have served a mission but missions for mormon females are optional. I also heard the family has to pay their child's mission expenses. Does anyone know if what I heard is accurate?

From my understanding, yes.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived