IGNORED

Wolf Blitzer Asks Atheist If She Thanked The Lord

debrand

louisa05, you have no way of knowing what it's really like. It is very risky in many conservative, red-state communities to come out as atheist. Is it likely that one would experience physical harm? No, not really. And when people talk about the pitchforks, I'm pretty sure they aren't talking about literal ones. (Although being openly atheist puts you on the radar of right wing extremist unhinged whackadoodles, whereas they would have never noticed you before because of their assumption that polite, normally-behaving people are all Christians.) But the social and professional -- and thus, financial -- costs for being openly atheist can be enormous. People get shunned by their neighbors and coworkers and then get overlooked for advancement/pushed out of their jobs. It really does happen.

And after, there is no where to turn to find a supportive community. There isn't going to be an atheist congregation on the other side of town, you know?

That was a ten second exchange out of literally hours of coverage on the news networks. Were it not for the internet and the ability to disseminate it and replay it over and over, probably no one would have noticed. And I actually thought he repeated it because he wasn't sure she heard or something when he first said it.

I agree that it was highlighted by being isolated and repeated. But that's been part of modern life since newspapers began, and just got easier to do with radio, then TV, then the Internet.

Before the Internet, people couldn't choose when to see something, or to view it repeatedly, and they couldn't send it to someone far away. But what Nixon or Lincoln said in a speech, or what Bruno Hauptmann said on the stand, was repeated (and repeated and repeated) and judged and interpreted and misinterpreted -- just over a back fence, not a bunch of computers.

And, due to the Internet, we are each able to see the moment over and over, and decide for ourselves, rather than having it filtered through others.

I do think it was very noticeable. And I think he asked again because her hesitation was unusual -- she didn't react as he expected. He may have been thinking she didn't hear him, but it was her not answering as expected that knocked his timing off, and I think that's significant.

Also, it is silly to think of reporters in Oklahoma this week having a "script". They have no such thing. They are just interviewing endlessly and often, in these settings, don't even have producers providing background info for them before they do.

I may not be the best person to comment on this, since, when something like this happens, I avoid watching the endless, repetitive coverage. But I started avoiding it because it was so repetitive. There really did seem to be a set of questions that got asked, over and over. If that has changed in the last decade, let me know.

I feel for the reporters. I think it would be hellish to have to go ask people who have just experienced a tragedy "how do you feel?" etc., but that's what reporters do for a living -- maybe some of them hate this part of it, too.

But, if, as you said, they are sent out to find people and get their story, with no background, that would be even more reason not to ask pat questions looking for the same answers over and over. Getting a story that is different, a moment unlike everything being shown by every other outlet, would be a coup, I would think.

I don't think Wolf Blitzer is anti-atheist. I think he was tired and maybe very moved by what he saw around him, went on "automatic pilot," and made a mistake.

But I think that the fact "are you thanking God?" is automatic, is something a reporter asks if he hasn't heard the person going on and on about God already, is something worth noticing and discussing.

I also think that the notion that mobs of Christians gather with pitchforks or something to abuse atheists in Midwestern Red States a bit stereotypical and narrow.

I agree -- I think any stereotype is dangerous. I do get concerned about posts that are nasty about "Christians," or "the US," or "the South," without making it clear that only a segment of that population, or a cultural norm and not individuals, is being addressed, but that's not what I see in this thread.

That said, I do get the impression that there are regional differences, that it is more of the everyday culture in the US southeast and midwest to assume everyone is Christian and for atheists to be concerned if they are open about it.

For example, it came as a shock to me the first time I saw a post here about automatically being asked what church one goes to when first meeting someone, and about altar calls at funerals -- those things have never happened to me. But, once someone mentioned it, lots of other people told of having the same experience.

And part of the cultural milieu in which those things happened, it seems, was based on geography.

I don't think most here think everyone in a certain area is a bigot, though.

I have never heard of such behavior. We didn't even bother the teens who declared themselves atheists in Catholic school in my Midwestern Red State other than asking that they sit quietly in school masses (which occurred all of twice a month). It is possible that some family members object or pressure them, but I would think that would be possible anywhere and in any case where someone makes a religious choice different from parents and others.

I'm glad that you have never heard of such behavior. And I'm glad you didn't bother the atheists in your school.

Maybe the state in which you grew up has a wonderfully open and un-prejudiced culture -- if so, that's great.

Maybe, going to a Catholic school and church, you didn't see as much of the problem created by the general, probably mostly Protestant, population for people who don't believe. I was a teenager before I knew that there is a Protestant majority in the US. Despite going to a public school and living across the street from a Baptist church, I knew mostly Catholics and Jews.

There are lots of unpleasant things that others have experienced, that I've never seen. I tend to take their word for it, though, when they tell me about it.

And sometimes Fundies come to our door here, but believe me, they harass you just as much for declaring Catholicism as Atheism and I'm sure a number of other spiritual choices would set them off as well. I know this. I have informed them we are Catholic before and it set them off a bit more than the time my husband told them we are atheists. (We are actually practicing Catholics).

Thinking of Catholics as non-Christians is a problem with many Fundies and other Protestant off-shoots. We actually discuss that here, a lot. I don't think anyone here is claiming that Atheists are the only group against whom people are bigoted.

louisa05, you have no way of knowing what it's really like. It is very risky in many conservative, red-state communities to come out as atheist. Is it likely that one would experience physical harm? No, not really. And when people talk about the pitchforks, I'm pretty sure they aren't talking about literal ones. (Although being openly atheist puts you on the radar of right wing extremist unhinged whackadoodles, whereas they would have never noticed you before because of their assumption that polite, normally-behaving people are all Christians.) But the social and professional -- and thus, financial -- costs for being openly atheist can be enormous. People get shunned by their neighbors and coworkers and then get overlooked for advancement/pushed out of their jobs. It really does happen.

And after, there is no where to turn to find a supportive community. There isn't going to be an atheist congregation on the other side of town, you know?

Nobody said anything at all about pitchforks, except louisa05. I said " there will probably be some fall out if she wasn't already out about it", Mrs Youngie said "I find it can be risky coming out about my complete lack of belief", and Thoughtful said "I hope she doesn't suffer any negative repercussions" before she/he jumped right to "pitchforks" ;)

I have found it is less pitch forks and more shunning while viewing you as some sort of souless monster. Without religion how could I possible me a nice person?

I have found it is less pitch forks and more shunning while viewing you as some sort of souless monster. Without religion how could I possible me a nice person?

This. I very often do not discuss any form of religion with anyone who's preferences I don't know. Mostly because they do shun you and usually the first reaction is to look at you as if you grew a second head. Often the second is to ask "How can you not believe???" If things get sticky I just usually tell people I'm Buddhist and they'll stop without all the other stuff.

Louisa, I am glad that you belong to a community and culture that is open and caring toward other people. I believe you. There are many good people within all religions. Catholics believe in the natural laws, correct? So, it doesn't surprise me that Catholics would be a less harsh toward an atheist student. However, there are segments of the population who believe that nonbelievers can't be good, moral humans and that gives them the right to be very negative toward non believers. Some atheist can lose their marriages or jobs if they announce that they are no longer religious. Those are pretty steep prices to pay.

This is a good site for those who have recently given up faith.

http://new.exchristian.net/

It can be overwhelming if you are middle aged and suddenly realize that you just don't believe.

This. I very often do not discuss any form of religion with anyone who's preferences I don't know. Mostly because they do shun you and usually the first reaction is to look at you as if you grew a second head. Often the second is to ask "How can you not believe???" If things get sticky I just usually tell people I'm Buddhist and they'll stop without all the other stuff.

When asked, I'm very upfront about my religious affiliation, or the lack thereof. I'm way past caring if people have a problem with atheism; it's their problem, not mine. I also think that by hiding it, I'm admitting that it's something to be ashamed of and it most definitely is not.

If asked, "How can you not believe?" (in god, I'm assuming) my answer is that I DON'T believe in the same way that you DO. You believe in god, that Jesus was his son and that the bible is the literal word of god. I believe that god is a man-made concept, that Jesus was the David Koresh of his day, and that the bible was written by man to control other men. Neither one of us has concrete proof in the existence or non-existence of god or in the rightness(?) of our beliefs, just faith that our way is the truth. There's only one way to know whose way is correct and I'm not ready to go there yet, thank you very much.

I love to discuss religion and only get cheesed off if people refuse to respect my beliefs as I respect theirs.

Card Trix, 1 of the Christian leghumpers; comments that the woman stutters because she knows it's wrong to say that. I just love have fundies and their support are so damn supportive of only THEIR freedom of speech. People don't have to say what an interviewer wants to make them happy, that's why we each have opinions.

Here is a rather odd conspiracy theory by Glenn Beck

On his show last night, Beck offered up his own theory of what really happened Tuesday afternoon in Moore, Oklahoma. He prefaced his “observation†by saying, “I really like Wolf Blitzer and I think he’s a really good man.†But he found Blitzer question about “the lord†“peculiar in the way it was stated, even for Wolf, who I think is a religious man.â€

Beck posited that Blitzer was purposely fed him false information about the woman he was interviewing before the segment by “some producer who is sympathetic to the atheist plight or just doesn’t like Christians.†He thought perhaps the anonymous, scheming producer just wanted to “point out that in the middle of heartland in America, where most people are God-fearing, there are atheists there too.â€

This led Beck to a more ominous conclusion than most about the state of the country. “We are not fighting against flesh and bone,†he said. “We are fighting the forces of spiritual darkness and it doesn’t matter what people’s intent are, but I will tell you that that was there for a reason.â€

mediaite.com/tv/glenn-beck-thinks-blitzers-awkward-atheist-interview-was-set-up-by-cnn-producer-who-doesnt-like-christians/

I've been trying to cut this phrase from my vocabulary, same with "Jesus Christ", or just "Jesus". Somehow though, "Golly" or "Goodness" just don't cut it!

Yeah, "Sweet baby Hitchens!" just doesn't work. There's no replacement for "Jesus wept", either.

Oh, and I also bless people who sneeze, including animals.

Considering that louisa05 managed to derail this thread pretty thoroughly, is it finally time to call troll on her? I've tried to be nice and give her the benefit of the doubt because she's a newbie, but at 107 post, I think it's enough to call it.

I've seen this vid a few hours ago. Wanna help her? Help her rebuild her house! Offer them shelter for a while! Other than that, get that damn camera out of her face.

Archived