IGNORED

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding

Chicken bones

Which is what, exactly?

Also, are we talking about Roma or black people here?

Quoting this. It never got answered.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to repeat things I've said earlier. Redneck gypsies..can't get more ass-backwards than that. The persecution/discrimination thing doesn't fly. The fact that they have Southern accents means they've been here a while. They are scammers, con-artists, and thieves. And, it's not a case of a select few making them all look bad. They have a patriarchal society. Wives are to submit to their husbands, and their kids have at best a 5th grade education (sound familiar?). Oh, and they pimp out their teenage daughters. Let's not forget what has already been posted about abuse. This is why they are hated and live on the fringe of American society. No way no how are they being persecuted or discriminated against. I would used the "Google is your friend" phrase, but it will be immediately dismissed as stuff written by racist bigots. So, I suggest checking public records, law enforcement, and talking to their victims. Oh, wait they're racist bigots too. :roll:

Now if they would operate an honest business or get a real honest job, educate their kids, stop the abuse, and not pimp out their daughters, I could care less if the lived in a mansion on the hill or roamed all over the place. Until that happens, they will not get a free pass from me, and their cries of discrimination and persecution will fall on deaf ears.

Just to be clear. I am referring to American gypsies/travellers. I haven't been to Europe, so I can't and won't comment on what goes on in other countries.

Guest Anonymous
I'm going to repeat things I've said earlier. Redneck gypsies..can't get more ass-backwards than that. The persecution/discrimination thing doesn't fly. The fact that they have Southern accents means they've been here a while. They are scammers, con-artists, and thieves. And, it's not a case of a select few making them all look bad. They have a patriarchal society. Wives are to submit to their husbands, and their kids have at best a 5th grade education (sound familiar?). Oh, and they pimp out their teenage daughters. Let's not forget what has already been posted about abuse. This is why they are hated and live on the fringe of American society. No way no how are they being persecuted or discriminated against. I would used the "Google is your friend" phrase, but it will be immediately dismissed as stuff written by racist bigots. So, I suggest checking public records, law enforcement, and talking to their victims. Oh, wait they're racist bigots too. :roll:

Now if they would operate an honest business or get a real honest job, educate their kids, stop the abuse, and not pimp out their daughters, I could care less if the lived in a mansion on the hill or roamed all over the place. Until that happens, they will not get a free pass from me, and their cries of discrimination and persecution will fall on deaf ears.

Just to be clear. I am referring to American gypsies/travellers. I haven't been to Europe, so I can't and won't comment on what goes on in other countries.

And we've come full geniebelle circle. Harping on accents, saying that people who are discriminated against totally deserve it, and sticking her fingers in her ears. Praise the lord and pass the foe button!

Is she really denser than lead or is there something else going on?

Possibly something else going on. Especially considering the fact she ignores questions and answers from other people and just repeats the same bullshit over and over again. Either really, really, really dumb or attention whoring.

Now if they would operate an honest business or get a real honest job, educate their kids, stop the abuse, and not pimp out their daughters, I could care less if the lived in a mansion on the hill or roamed all over the place.

Do you believe that every single Roma does these things?

You didn't answer my question, why are you all understanding of the ass-backward Southern Rednecks who get pissed off because they claim they are treated badly in television and movies and say racist things, but not of the Roma cutlure?

And you also didn't answer Valsa's question. I mean, if it works for the Roma, then doesn't it stand to reason that it works for other cultures, so if the general public believe that the black culture is more violent and police reports show that there are lots of black people being arrested, then doesn't that mean that there is nothing worth preserving in their culture too?

There are definitely problems in the Traveller communities. No one is saying they aren't.

1. You cannot solve problems by assuming every single one is bad based on limited experience and what you see on a sensationalist reality show. I know several Europeans who dislike Americans for the same reason.

2. You cannot solve problems by demanding they come out to the general public with them. First, the problems are no secret already. Second, the general public is prone to being asshole (see #1, also everything geniebelle has wrote on the matter) and Travellers have no assurance that they would get anything other than what they have gotten in the past.

3. Cultural change is slow. Very slow. The Traveller community does seem to be changing from the inside. Rushing them will force them back into patriarchy and black wagons.

4. If we are going to come down on cultures that are full of abuse, we had better be prepared to let go of our own.

Lindsay Says and geniebelle, these are the points everyone has been making to you as far as I can tell. You both have failed to refute even one of them, and now geniebelle is working up to one of the tantrums we have come to expect from her. I don't think I need to keep posting on this thread if we are going to be talking about Disney movies and Moses being saved by Gypsies as some kind of fact while ignoring reality. LD and GB can just sit and assure each other that Rroma culture needs to be flushed and have the circle jerk that they feel they deserve.

I don't like rednecks. Since all rednecks come from Alabama, vote conservative, hate Obama, hate black people, hate Muslims, hate gays, are thick, go to church and think atheists are devil worshippers then surely it is quite logical to do away with, or incarcerate every single redneck in Alabama because they are all like that, they are a detriment to society and give the USA a bad name. There is no good in Alabama rednecks so that culture should not be preserved.

Would that be OK Genie?

(disclaimer: I do not think rednecks should be done away with or incarcerated. I am simply using an analogy)

I know some one who was robbed by a person from Alabama. Totally proves all people from there will rob you. I bet I could find newspaper articles to support my claim.

I'm sorry that you can't and won't face the facts and instead chose to deflect or as you say use an analogy.

I'm sorry that you can't and won't face the facts and instead chose to deflect or as you say use an analogy.

I just skimmed this entire thread (I don't have much better to do now that I've completed all my college work and am feeling too introverted right now to try and hang out with people...).

Basically, it seems that certain posters do not seem to understand the delicacy with which members of the dominant culture need to treat members of cultures they have historically repeatedly oppressed.

I mean, for the past several centuries western Europeans (and later their descendents in the United States of America) basically went around the world fucking with other cultures because they believed they were better. Some time in the last fifty years or so, they became enlightened and have discovered ideas like civil and human rights, which is great and an important thing to try and promote. But, these other cultures who they've fucked with for hundreds of years...why on earth should they listen now? It's like the boy who cried wolf. Western Europeans went around crying wolf and saying that other cultures had serious problems and needed to change, which did not exactly earn them the trust of the cultures they persecuted and oppressed. Now that western Europeans and Americans have realized that there really are wolves (in the forms of patriarchy, abuse, etc.) these other cultures don't exactly have a reason to listen. And why should they?

It's a tricky situation. Abuse is really horrible and something I would like to end. But before westerners can spread the word about the importance of human rights, they need to think long and hard about how to to regain the trust of persecuted cultures and how to successfully and not patronizingly convince them that there is in fact a wolf. I'm not sure how that can happen, but it sure as hell won't happen by storming in and telling other people they're doing it wrong. Because the last n times that happened, it lead to oppression and persecution.

Genie are you purposely fucking damn stupid or what?

YOU are the one who wanted Rroma culture done away with because of the stereotypes seen on TV. Well there's stereotypes about rednecks in Alabama too, shall we do away with them too?

Oh fuck this for a game of soldiers, where's the foe button. There are only so many fuckwits I can deal with in one day.

Genie are you purposely fucking damn stupid or what?

YOU are the one who wanted Rroma culture done away with because of the stereotypes seen on TV. Well there's stereotypes about rednecks in Alabama too, shall we do away with them too?

Oh fuck this for a game of soldiers, where's the foe button. There are only so many fuckwits I can deal with in one day.

I'm voting for the 'or what' option combined with the previously agreed on fuckwit.

Wow, and everybody thought I was on the verge of temper tantrum. I'm actually quite calm. Maybe it's because I've made use of a certain button also. Anyway, like I said before, I'm astonished that these groups are getting a free pass, and despite what everybody is saying, they are getting a free pass. Patriarchal criminals getting a free pass on FJ...who would of thunk it.

Wow, and everybody thought I was on the verge of temper tantrum. I'm actually quite calm. Maybe it's because I've made use of a certain button also. Anyway, like I said before, I'm astonished that these groups are getting a free pass, and despite what everybody is saying, they are getting a free pass. Patriarchal criminals getting a free pass on FJ...who would of thunk it.

You obviously did not read anyone's posts. I don't know how you can feel you are responding adequately when you obviously have not even read them.

No one has given them a free pass, we said majority outrage and increased prejudice will not help. Is that too many big words for you?

I'm pretty sure everyone here finds patriarchy disgusting. I think I snarked on Pat Baby in the beginning of this thread, because I find him a gross person. Person. The problem is your continued willingness to lump a person or several people together and think that they are the mold for an entire culture.

Yep, you are just plain old damn fucking stupid.

Not every Rroma is a patriarchal, garden shitting, douche bag.

Just like,

Not every Christian male is a patriarchal douchebag.

Just like,

Not everybody from Alabama is an ignorant redneck.

Is that simple enough for you Genie?

You didn't answer my question, why are you all understanding of the ass-backward Southern Rednecks who get pissed off because they claim they are treated badly in television and movies and say racist things, but not of the Roma cutlure?

And you also didn't answer Valsa's question. I mean, if it works for the Roma, then doesn't it stand to reason that it works for other cultures, so if the general public believe that the black culture is more violent and police reports show that there are lots of black people being arrested, then doesn't that mean that there is nothing worth preserving in their culture too?

Still not answering. Do I need to quote you again where you "understand" the rednecks who get angry and say racist things? Why didn't you have this same reaction to the Roma culture?

Genie, this is your reaction to the racism (longing for the good old days before the Civil War, flying the rebel flag) and bad behaviour of your fellow Southerners:

These are about Southerners using the "N" word.

I think some of you are missing the point. The fact of the matter is, when buttons are pushed this is how Southerners will react. Whether you think it's racist is beside point. This is how it is. I don't condone this type of behavior, but I can understand where they're coming from.

"I can understand why Southerners get upset over the way we are portrayed in the media. "

"Anyway, I was just giving an explanation about Southern resentment."

"Today, I think most of the resentment comes from the way working class and poor Southerners are portrayed in the media/books/movies. We are portrayed as ass backwards, uneducated, stupid, ignorant, redneck hillbillies. And I have to say I agree with my fellow Southerners to an extent. It's almost biased in way. I mean do you see any other region of the country portrayed in a derogatory as often as the South is?"

So you don't condone Southerners acting like racist, but you can understand it, an understanding that you refuse to give to another culture. Why didn't you extend the same sort of understanding to the Roma culture?

And perhaps if you hadn't started in on how you wanted an entire, diverse culture destroyed based on what you've seen on tv, the focus would have stayed on how the patriarchal parts of their culture needs change. We had a Roma woman come here once, no one gave her a free pass.

This was Genie's reaction to her fellow Southerners using the "N" word. Not a peep about how the culture isn't worth preserving, just how she understands them.

Guest Anonymous

Darn you, valsa, when you quote her I can see her posts!

You're going to be awfully lonely here geniebelle, when you've ignored everyone but Lindsay Says and your fellow trolls. It's going to be a tough life for an attention whore.

Darn you, valsa, when you quote her I can see her posts!

You're going to be awfully lonely here geniebelle, when you've ignored everyone but Lindsay Says and your fellow trolls. It's going to be a tough life for an attention whore.

Forgive me, I knew not what I did!

Next time (and there probably will be a next time) I'll put her post under the spoiler tag, so as not to unleash her ignorance onto unsuspecting, innocent people.

I'll try and remember not to quote her.

Too bad she didn't stick to her promise to not become a bitch when she is called out on the offensive things she says.

Guest Anonymous

Forgive me, I knew not what I did!

Next time (and there probably will be a next time) I'll put her post under the spoiler tag, so as not to unleash her ignorance onto unsuspecting, innocent people.

Ha, well. Unsuspecting, anyway. ;)

Archived