IGNORED

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding

Chicken bones

No, they are not kept separate. Weddings are the big social event where girls and boys get to spend time together.

Ok. Thanks! I wasn't sure. I just thought it was odd on the episodes I watched, they only seemed to show only women dancing.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Ok. Thanks! I wasn't sure. I just thought it was odd on the episodes I watched, they only seemed to show only women dancing.

It probably reflects their ages as well as cultural issues. It is quite common for 15-16-yr old girls to dance together, while boys skulk in corners at weddings, in my experience. :P

• 4 weeks later...

It was on last night. Let's just say I was damn shocked.

Here are things I noticed that are similar to the Duggars:

-The girl is expected to remain pure until marriage. Men can do anything they damn want.

-The girl didn't have her first kiss until the altar.

-They only met 3 times and the wedding was quick(like a month after the engagement).

-Both were really young. (17/18)

-Take the girls out of school at a young age.

-Expect their girls to be wives and mothers, nothing else.

I just am sick of these shows. I honestly felt sad for that girl last night. Same lifestyle, just different dress.

Yes, I watched it last night. The idea that I one kiss would ruin a girl is crazy. That also differs from the British gypsies they profiled on the original series. Not that it is really better, but many of the boys there would try to steal kisses from the girls.

I am also glad that my friend did not pick hot pink, skin-tight dresses with giant bows for her wedding next month. The floor length green dress seems a lot better now after seeing those.

I got really upset when Shyanne's (sp?) mother said that the girls are supposed to get married not knowing anything about sex, and that her daughter would have to "Learn about it the hard way, like I did." No girl should ever have to learn about sex "the hard way."

I was most sad for the scene of the 4 year old cleaning her playhouse and trying to make it perfect. (might have been a rerun from britian) I could have cried for her future.

And the american romny boys are like future douche bags and all have hair like pauly d. lol

Also the Girl said that Romny men are like bombs and she was a little afraid that she would get an abusive one but it didnt phase her much.

GeoBQn: and that her future husband said that if she knew anything you got a bad one. She wasnt suspose to teach the boy anything.

I got really upset when Shyanne's (sp?) mother said that the girls are supposed to get married not knowing anything about sex, and that her daughter would have to "Learn about it the hard way, like I did." No girl should ever have to learn about sex "the hard way."

Then the episode ended with her mother saying they better not do anything more than kiss for a while. Poor Shyanne seemed a bit scared to touch her new husband. I also wondered wher her dad was or if he wasn't really shown because he wouldn't want his affliation known.

Every day I become a little more grateful that I don't have cable...

If she learned about it the 'hard way', why would she want her own child to suffer through that? I can't even imagine what that entails...

Am I right in assuming that the boys are well-informed before this point?

Every day I become a little more grateful that I don't have cable...

If she learned about it the 'hard way', why would she want her own child to suffer through that? I can't even imagine what that entails...

Am I right in assuming that the boys are well-informed before this point?

It seemed to be acceptable and expected for the boys to get experience with girls outside the community.

That sounds terrifying. I wonder if these people don't believe there is such a thing as spousal rape...

Didn't watch. I don't enjoy watching crazy and was too busy being old-fashioned and watching the TV Land Awards.

What made me say WFT was what Shyanne's mother said as her newly married daughter was driving away. She said that there had better be no more than just kissing for now? Seriously? I know some couples do that simply because they are exhausted and not "in the mood" after the wedding preparations, ceremony, and reception. But that's not what Shyanne's mother meant. Shyanne may have been nervous, but she didn't strike me as the kind who wanted to wait any longer. Plus the guy she married didn't seem to be an asshole like his parents. I think he understands she was a virgin & had never kissed a guy. So hopefully that wedding night wasn't bad for Shyanne.

My BIL's father (who's a sheriff's deputy) told me that every other summer or so there are what he calls southern "gypsies" who try to turn our RV parks into their own land (I live in an area between 2 rivers, so there are a few RV parks around here for vacationers). They usually get run off after a while. The people who run the parks are always on the look out for those the abuse the rules of the park and call the Sheriff when they don't get the message that this is a vacation park not your property that you can trash. It's only happened a couple of times, and I've never seen any. I sure as hell have never seen people dressed like the girls featured on the these gypsy shows around here. And no church around here would allow people to walk in dressed like they do...even the most liberal churches wouldn't. Receptions venues, I don't think care as long as the they don't destroy the place.

I think I have found the recipe for these gypsy shows. Take Say Yes To Dress (even the Bridesmaids show), the Duggars, Toddlers & Tiaras and put them all a blender, and this is what comes out....2 git hot messes!

That sounds terrifying. I wonder if these people don't believe there is such a thing as spousal rape...

I'm thinking no; one of the girls also didn't seem too upset that her husband may have a temper and the possibility of being violent.

Did you see the footage of those two girls fighting on the sidewalk and the camera having to blur out body parts as their clothing came off? :o

I just saw pictures on another blog.... Oh... my... Garfield...

Where do they get the MONEY for this stuff?? I am at an absolute loss right now. I'm struggling to pinch pennies for my own wedding, which we budgeted to keep UNDER 10k... This dress is worth $15,000???? IT'S HIDEOUS.

I keep thinking of Robin Williams' bit about clothes that would offend a blind gay man. "Ohhhh dear Chrisstht...those colors are LOUD, mister..."

And the ones they consider to be "tasteful" ....

How do they think this stuff looks good???

Are these people actually "gypsies"? I mean, do they have Romani ancestors?

Yes, DNA studies have proven the Romani, Roma, and Romanichal gypsies share similar DNA and their origins are from the Inida and the Middle East. I could provide links, but there are too many to post. Irish Travellers, though in general are of Northern European descent, and probably do not share the same ancestors as as Roma gypsies unless the two groups have intermarried (and from watching the show we know they have). Again, too many links to post, but the research is there.

I got interested in this because my father's ancestors came from towns not far from Rathkeale. But, if I do have Traveller ancestors, I can say that at least this branch of that culture absolutely do not have any Traveller ways at all. In fact Daddy when I asked Daddy what he though an Irish Traveller was, he said an Irish person who likes to travel. When I explained to him what they really were he had some not so nice nice things to say, which I won't repeat.

Part of me as to wonder how many of these girls are actually virgins before they marry. Just the clothes they wear during the day (which are more appropriate for a bar or club, heck I've seen more clothes on girls who go clubbing) makes me wonder. Every time the subject comes up the girls start giggling which to me pretty much let's the cat out of bag.

Oh, and the little girls who dress like mini-hookers! So sad! That's worse than anything I've seen on kiddie pageant shows. I think I know why they are so set on fairy tell weddings. They are taken out of school at about 10 years old, when most girls are still stuck on fairy tales and Barbie dolls,and are kept almost child-like even if they are practically homemakers by that time. Even by the time they are 16-17 and have raging hormones, they still have visions of fairy tales in their head.

I just saw pictures on another blog.... Oh... my... Garfield...

Where do they get the MONEY for this stuff?? I am at an absolute loss right now. I'm struggling to pinch pennies for my own wedding, which we budgeted to keep UNDER 10k... This dress is worth $15,000???? IT'S HIDEOUS.

I keep thinking of Robin Williams' bit about clothes that would offend a blind gay man. "Ohhhh dear Chrisstht...those colors are LOUD, mister..."

And the ones they consider to be "tasteful" ....

How do they think this stuff looks good???

No freaking way them dresses cost that much. Them's cheap looking pieces of shit. Them ain't couture dresses like "Say Yes to the Dress" (oops sorry for the redneck slip there...LOL).

Part of me as to wonder how many of these girls are actually virgins before they marry. Just the clothes they wear during the day (which are more appropriate for a bar or club, heck I've seen more clothes on girls who go clubbing) makes me wonder. Every time the subject comes up the girls start giggling which to me pretty much let's the cat out of bag.

Oh, and the little girls who dress like mini-hookers! So sad! That's worse than anything I've seen on kiddie pageant shows. I think I know why they are so set on fairy tell weddings. They are taken out of school at about 10 years old, when most girls are still stuck on fairy tales and Barbie dolls,and are kept almost child-like even if they are practically homemakers by that time. Even by the time they are 16-17 and have raging hormones, they still have visions of fairy tales in their head.

I don't think you should read their style of dress as an indication of their virignity or otherwise. This style of dress for gypsies is really quite a new thing - many of them were still in long dresses over trousers with headscarves during the 1980s (almost middle-eastern in appearance). I can only think that they are becoming more exposed to the modern world and have appropriated 'Essex style' without the accompanying moral standards.

No freaking way them dresses cost that much. Them's cheap looking pieces of shit. Them ain't couture dresses like "Say Yes to the Dress" (oops sorry for the redneck slip there...LOL).

Dead freaking serious. $15,000 dress. Google some of them. They light them up and use yards of fabric and crystals. Man... my dress is $1,500. Guess I'm not worthy of such beauty as these irls :roll:

I don't think you should read their style of dress as an indication of their virignity or otherwise. This style of dress for gypsies is really quite a new thing - many of them were still in long dresses over trousers with headscarves during the 1980s (almost middle-eastern in appearance). I can only think that they are becoming more exposed to the modern world and have appropriated 'Essex style' without the accompanying moral standards.

You're right. I'm comparing them to what I see every day in my own little town, and that is unfair. I'm sorry for those remarks.

I was remodeling my farm last night and missed it. Does anyone know if it will be on again or if it was a one time thing?

But, but, they look so cheap, as in cheaply made, but oh well. My ideal wedding, if I wanted one, would involve a justice of the peace. I'm not into the drama of weddings. But that's just me.

Archived