IGNORED

Love For Robert E Lee

debrand

savoriesoflife.blogspot.com/2011/09/robert-e-lee-man-we-love.html

The writer mentions in another article that she/he attended a conference with the Botkins so the connection with Vision Forum is probably why there is Robert E Lee hero worshipping happening in this article

I'm sure that there are many terrorists that have good qualities but that doesn't mean I want to hero worship them

Children are given Lee’s devotion and cause him great pleasure. because of this, many children frequantly considered him as their best friend. Lee finds immense ease and comfort in the presence of young ones. In a letter addressed to his beloved wife, WHICH he penned while fighting the war with Jackson, he told her of a pleasant visit he had with three angelic girls. Each of the damsels carried a basket filled with gifts. The eldest had fresh eggs for him but what made it extra special was that they came from her own hen. The second had the most tempting pickles he had ever seen since the war began, and the youngest presented soft fluffy kernels of corn from her crop.

A family that Robert e Lee probably knew and he played with the children.

Lee as always is touched by moments where the inhabitants of the South share their meager provisions. Because he knows these people are starving he tries tactfullyto refuse their gifts, but he nearly always, keeps the tokens of love. Lee is a valiant, and will by no means have any hurt feelings. Farther on in the letter, WHICH he wrote to his wife, he explained how he heaped the girls baskets with sweet rosy apples and implored them to bring him nothing in the future but kisses.

More Confederate love

savoriesoflife.blogspot.com/2011/04/jefferson-davis-book-report.html

Once, in the past, I had read how Jefferson Davis was a true Christian but had never found any more information except that, to the contrary, he was mean to his slaves and cold-hearted. However, after reading this volume I have no doubt that Lee, Jackson and Davis were the Southern heroes of the war!

The verse, " In all affliction he was afflicted and the angel of His presence saved them" ( Isaiah 63 :9) is inscribed in Davis’ Bible, and opens this short work by R. Rumburg, which reveals Davis’ faith in God.

Through this volume you will come to admire Davis, who stood on the principles of God, and you will be amazed by his strong faith during such a hard time as the Civil War. You will understand that although he was treated poorly by the North and even some in the South, Davis’ convictions concerning the Bible and the Constitution would not allow him to compromise nor to admit that the course of the South was wrong.

(Davis' parents, Samuel and Jane Davis, settled in Woodville, Wilkinson County, Mississippi, about 1810. There they built Rosemont, which was originally known as Poplar Grove. Jefferson Davis' modest boyhood home remained in the family for 100 years, and five generations of Davises are buried in a cemetery near the house. The home has been restored and may be toured by the public.)

All through his life, his Bible and prayer book were his companions even when he was imprisoned for two years after the war. You will be struck with his remarkable faith even to the point of forgiving his enemies, even when he became "a man without a country."

This book, full of quotes and is well worth reading, and owning, to understand the heart of the south and of the “lost America.â€

Jefferson and Varina Davis with their grandchildren

Well-written and giving a clear picture of Davis, this book provides new insight into this misrepresented leader’s walk with God.

It is sold by my family at http://civilwar---andmore.blogspot.com

In all fairness (and I'm a distant cousin so I am clearly biased on this one) if there were one Confederate TO worship, it would be Lee.

Lee was asked to head the Union army by Lincoln. He was the greatest military genuis of his time and for a great deal of history, honestly. He was a brilliant strategian and a gentleman. He nearly took up Lincoln's offer to lead the Union army. Had Virginia not succeeded, Lee would have overseen the nothern troops and the war would have been over within a year. Lee was not found of slavery, a good portion of his relatives had moved to Kansas to escape the practice. Lee owned slaves but like many men of his time, including several northern generals who were also slave owners, he was conflicted by his role in the institution.

Lee's writings make it very clear that for HIM the war was about states rights versus federal rights. Lee was an American but he was first and foremost a Virginian. He went the way his state went, regardless of the consequences. He did more with nothing, than any northern general did with far, far more resources and manpower than he ever had to work with. For his choice to stay loyal to his state versus his nation, he lost the war, was stripped of his wealth, was branded a traitor and had his citizenship revoked.

I think Lee could have gone down as a hero in history. I also think his choice resulted in the appropriate consequences. He knew what choice he made. He made it anyway. He could have been one of the greatest generals in history, and he choose a different path, a path that was morally wrong and he was conflicted enough by his role in that institution to know it was morally wrong.

I grew up under worshipping Lee, and the honest truth is that I think he deserved the consequences he got. He knew the risks when he took them

In all fairness (and I'm a distant cousin so I am clearly biased on this one) if there were one Confederate TO worship, it would be Lee.

Lee was asked to head the Union army by Lincoln. He was the greatest military genuis of his time and for a great deal of history, honestly. He was a brilliant strategian and a gentleman. He nearly took up Lincoln's offer to lead the Union army. Had Virginia not succeeded, Lee would have overseen the nothern troops and the war would have been over within a year. Lee was not found of slavery, a good portion of his relatives had moved to Kansas to escape the practice. Lee owned slaves but like many men of his time, including several northern generals who were also slave owners, he was conflicted by his role in the institution.

Lee's writings make it very clear that for HIM the war was about states rights versus federal rights. Lee was an American but he was first and foremost a Virginian. He went the way his state went, regardless of the consequences. He did more with nothing, than any northern general did with far, far more resources and manpower than he ever had to work with. For his choice to stay loyal to his state versus his nation, he lost the war, was stripped of his wealth, was branded a traitor and had his citizenship revoked.

I think Lee could have gone down as a hero in history. I also think his choice resulted in the appropriate consequences. He knew what choice he made. He made it anyway. He could have been one of the greatest generals in history, and he choose a different path, a path that was morally wrong and he was conflicted enough by his role in that institution to know it was morally wrong.

I grew up under worshipping Lee, and the honest truth is that I think he deserved the consequences he got. He knew the risks when he took them

That's true, not only did he lose his wealth, citizenship, and being branded a traitor, he could never return to his home across the Potomac from DC as it became a national cemetery that is still in use today.

He wasn't just branded a traitor, he WAS a traitor. Having a more complex understanding of him as a person is one thing, picking him out of the whole pantheon of American history to teach/talk about is another.

I've taught at a Robert E. Lee school, but not Jefferson Davis or Nathaniel Bedford Forrest (bad neighborhoods). Weird, but what isn't, if you think about it enough?

He wasn't just branded a traitor, he WAS a traitor. Having a more complex understanding of him as a person is one thing, picking him out of the whole pantheon of American history to teach/talk about is another.

He was a traitor and despite the fact that he did not own slaves, state's rights always go back to owning slaves. So, he did fight to keep slavery alive. Can I understand that he had good qualities? Sure but so do a lot of people who do evil things.

I imagine that many Confederates were like the modern day Tea Party in that they were fighting to preserve a system that ultimately screws them over.

I think that most of the FJers(probably all) understand that many historical figures were complex and not all good or all bad. That is what makes history so interesting and sometimes so heartbreaking. Good people sometimes make horrible leaders or do bad things. Bad people sometimes make good leaders or do things for selfish reasons that turn out to be good. It makes life seem a little more random. However, fundies think in black and white so they read history as black and white. Lee expressed many Christian sentiments with which fundies agree. There are examples of him being honorable. Fundies can't really comprehend how such a person could support something which is evil. They want their historical figures either all good or all bad.

Archived