IGNORED

Shraders Go To Creation Museum

GeoBQn

We should totally have a FJ Day at the Creation Museum. We could all wear "Born to be His Helpmeet" t-shirts to identify ourselves. I'm serious.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck, there's be enough FJs for a group discount. Except for the whole geographical proximity thing. I'm seriously considering going on a road trip next time I'm anywhere on the continent.

I'm half an hour away. Count me in.

I hope to go in August. My brother is doing Ironman Louisville and we will be SO close!

We should totally have a FJ Day at the Creation Museum. We could all wear "Born to be His Helpmeet" t-shirts to identify ourselves. I'm serious.

Last Christmas, my husband gave me a camo shirt with "Jesus Patrol" on it that he got a Walmart; will that do?

(And yes, it was a joke gift.)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I figured this was the best place I could find. I actually went this week with a friend & both our small kids for snarking. In a nutshell, it was 80% telling the story of creation from the Bible (a movie with God creating the world in 6 days, Adam & Eve, etc.) 15% skewed science (more later) and 5% sound/lights/special effects. They had speakers hanging from the ceiling, and we had a hard time focusing as these speakers were bellowing at us. Parts of certain rooms were nearly dark & had dramatic lighting to the point where my 2 year old was clinging to me & the four yr old friend's daughter was creeped out too.

The skewed science made us disconcerted. I majored in bio for 2 years, and my friend has degrees in an sci, wildlife management, 1 year of vet tech school, and works in the medical field. We have some idea of what we should see in a museum, and we did not see it. We "learned" things such as-

There were no weeds before the "curse"/ fall of Adam & Eve. Afterward, there were weeds & that chemicals that had not previously poisonous were poisonous. I consulted with DH (professional chemist & plant-lover) and he was unable to substantiate any of this.

Noah took about 100 dinosaurs on the ark with him, and was able to fit the 50 different kinds of dinos as they were the size of chickens. I have heard that some were the size of chickens, but all of them? They did helpfully include a diorama of Noah's family tending to the animals on the ark, but it was bizarre to see a cage of dinos next to a row of farm animals in cages.

Just because dinos and people were not found buried at the same place does not mean that they were not alive at the same time, just not buried together. As I said to my friend, "peer review much?"

There was also a strange video on a loop we watched three times through where they insinuate that because other geographical features were formed in a smaller period of time, the Grand Canyon did not take millions of years to make either.

On the bright side, the kiddos enjoyed the petting zoo & the food in the lunchroom. My friend announced on her FB that it was "well-maintained". I'd go so far as to add that their wax figures were excellent and their movie about God making the earth in six days had a good production value. I'd say it's worth a snarking trip if you can really focus on the displays.

OK, so I am new to this forum...blog please? I have to read this one.

It's a major protein in the diet in the Virgin Islands. I ate a lot before I became a vegetarian, and yes, it is delicious. But you have to make it in stews or curries.

There is a restaurant in Chicago, owned by Top Chef winner Stephanie Izard called the Girl and the Goat. Not surprising, given its name, goat is on the menu. I celebrated my birthday there two years ago and tried the goat empanadas. Delicious! Very similar to pulled pork in texture.

Thanks for the review Quincygirl! I live in Australia so, alas, can't not attend a FJ creation museum trip.

Awesome idea though!

You're welcome:) Felt like I was taking one for the team:) you know I figured they'd look like more modest modern, so my friend & I wore skirts, her daughter wore a dress, and my little guy wore a little polo & shorts. It was almost all women in capris, teens in shorts, & regular-looking men. We saw one head-covering frumper family, and one regular frumper family, and another skirt-only family. We were some of the more conservatively-dressed folks there, lol! They did have a sign on the entrance summarizing their views & that you could be kicked out for disturbing other patrons or if your clothing offended others. We saw some teens in really short shorts, so I assume every now & again they had issues with that sort of thing.

I think it's more the ppl who are touring it for it's freak show value: don't weat your "ATHEIST" t-shirt. The one with the Darwin fish eating the Jesus ichthys would probably be unwelcome too.

This is the pathetic excuse for a Creation Museum we have in Canada. www.bvcsm.com/

No fancy dioramas or big exhibits. It's just a converted house as far as I can tell. We live in Ontario so this is too far away for us to visit. Anyone else been?

OOh - apparently there is also "Canada's largest travelling creation museum" (boy, there's a niche for you) creationtruthministries.org/

John and the kids are in the Branson area. A "contact" was able to get the entire family tickets to see a Sight and Sound production of Joseph and admission to Silver Dollar City, both for the cost of one ticket to each place. Assuming they mean an adult ticket, that means the family is paying $101 for an entertainment package that should cost $550 (before taxes). It just occurred to me that if John is filing taxes, he's probably declaring all these free and discounted admissions as gifts, even though he wouldn't be getting any of them without his non-existent job.

"Deputation Delights" annoys me to no end. Wandering around for a couple of years, chasing a dream that most likely will never come true, having tons of kids you can't care for, all while refusing to get a job isn't delightful or an actual deputation*. On some level he knows that he is a massive failure at life and he is trying his damn best to make it look like he isn't.

*At least in my experience with missionaries.

WHY ARE PEOPLE ENABLING THIS LAZY DOUCHEBAG??????

That is a very valid question ILJB!!! :think: :think: :think: Not like he's setting a good example or anything. :snooty:

WHY ARE PEOPLE ENABLING THIS LAZY DOUCHEBAG??????

Cause he is following god and everyone should support him. The Christian can do no wrong crap is strong in this one.

Bah, I'm afraid Doggie is right... BTW I'm still shrugging over the Billie became a deaaaaad goat thing. *cough*pshycho*cough*

I hope that they stay away from tornado alley. I don't think that a tent trailer is the safest place to ride out some nasty storms.

This is the pathetic excuse for a Creation Museum we have in Canada. http://www.bvcsm.com/

No fancy dioramas or big exhibits. It's just a converted house as far as I can tell. We live in Ontario so this is too far away for us to visit. Anyone else been?

OOh - apparently there is also "Canada's largest travelling creation museum" (boy, there's a niche for you) creationtruthministries.org/

lol That's awesome, my family lived in Big Valley for a couple years when I was a toddler. It's a few hours from where I am now. Maybe we should go on a field trip? I can teach the kids what not to believe. Then we can head down to Drumheller and hit up the-Royal Tyrell Dinosaur Museum http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/

ETA:

We are currently operating under the SUMMER SCHEDULE:

Admission: $5/adult, $3 for children 12 and under and seniors, families (A Father, Mother and children) get in for $15.

WINTER SCHEDULE:

The museum is operated by volunteers and is open on a call-ahead basis only. Please give us a couple of days notice by calling the museum and leaving a message

Notice they give no indication what exactly their summer schedule is? And that a family is only allowed to be "a father, mother and children"?

It was almost all women in capris, teens in shorts, & regular-looking men.

That would describe my husband's niece and her family--who went there with not one bit of irony because it wholly reflects their beliefs. Her father is very outspoken against evolution in public schools and she is the principal of a private Christian school. They returned with glowing stories about how the creation museum was unbiased on every level, that it showed "both sides" and proved evolution couldn't be true. :doh:

It doesnt even say how big a family can get in for $15. Is there a limit for how many children can be bought? Can someone turn up with a Duggar size family and ask to get in for the $15 family admission?

It doesnt even say how big a family can get in for $15. Is there a limit for how many children can be bought? Can someone turn up with a Duggar size family and ask to get in for the $15 family admission?

I would be tempted to borrow a bunch of kids and do just that. Except make it 20 children so I could beat Michelle.

Archived