IGNORED

Male Duggarling on Journey to the Heart

lilith

According to Robert Staddon on the Journey to the Heart page, there is a group of young men currently on a journey to the heart.

The picture of the group includes a Duggar child, I'm pretty sure it's Joseph.

I'm wondering about all this (expensive) ATI indoctrination for Joseph. Is he particularly troublesome or particularly devout? I'm actually inclined to think devout.

Screenshots included cause I'm on phone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368959430.813779.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368959471.648885.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No - that's John-David

Interesting.

It was only a few weeks ago, I would have thought John David would be too old for Journeys - Josh was married with a child at his age, and Jana is leading Journeys to the Heart.

I'm sorry, but Journey to the Heart looks like a bunch of dudes looking for sweet sweet fellowship.

I wonder what John-David did to be sent there.

I'm sorry, but Journey to the Heart looks like a bunch of dudes looking for sweet sweet fellowship.

I wonder what John-David did to be sent there.

Well David Waller's special friend Robert Staddon seems to be involved with it, so you may be right.

** deleted... I was fucking thoughtless.

nah. No. These people did not choose to be there.

There's a lot of early onset male pattern baldness among the fundy set, isn't there?

There's a lot of early onset male pattern baldness among the fundy set, isn't there?

I was thinking the same thing! My gosh, how old are these "young men" and wth is in the genetics.

I thought Journey to the Heart was where they sent the kids who weren't so devout...is that right?

not really. if they can afford it I personally think it is the goal to send kids on to the journey to the heart retreats as a status symbol as kendalen staddon and pris keller waller and both husbands went and they are about as devout and indoctrinated as you can get.

I don't think they're being forced to go, I think they want to. It's a chance to get out of their insane house, away from the majority of their insane family, and spend some time with people who aren't related to them, maybe even make some new friends, which they have very few opportunities to do otherwise. I'm sure some families do send rebellious/drifting children on a Journey to try and get them back in line, but people like Priscilla Keller and Jill Duggar also went, so...

It's kind of weird that JD is there given his age... he's what, 23? 3 Years older than his brother was when he got married. But maybe he wants to hang out with some of his friends, or maybe there are opportunities to meet girls when you're there. I know there's been speculation that John's not living at the TTH anymore, and I hope it's true for his sake.

Ok, I totally hear you and I know what you're saying but how can someone think of the camp as a break from their lives when

A.) At home there are 15 cult members in average max,

B.) In the camp there are much stricter rules than at home, no matter what kind of a household they come from. Their daily routine is weary and I'm pretty sure they hand out brochures with the regulations in advance so that the students will be aware of the regulations and rules. They cannot expect that place to be a nice place. BTW I'm strongly convinced that Jana, for example has been forced to taking a course or whatever they call these mental death camps and their indoctrination programs. As have the vast majority of the people that go there. ***ETA guilting, shaming, scaring someone into taking the course, alongside with all other manipulative methods, do count as forceful in my eyes.

A combination of stress and cheap crappy food like Tater Tot Casserole?

I think male pattern baldness comes from winning the genetic lottery on your mother's side, though their stress and crappy diets do set them up for a lot of other problems.

Those certainly accelerate the natural pace of their genetically inherited balding, if there's any in play.

Is there a chance of meeting a potential spouse at a JTTH? If so, that might be part of what entices attendees.

As a Catholic-in-name-only, turned Catholic, turned Fundie Lite, turned non-Church-going-with-unique-beliefs kind of girl, I remember things like retreats (as a youth) and women's weekends (as an adult) being a very enjoyable experiences. Although we can look at things from the outside and think indoctrination!, denial!, who would want to be there?, it may be a very different experience as a true-believing attendee.

My theory is that cheap hair products in excess eat it away

Ok, I totally hear you and I know what you're saying but how can someone think of the camp as a break from their lives when

A.) At home there are 15 cult members in average max,

B.) In the camp there are much stricter rules than at home, no matter what kind of a household they come from. Their daily routine is weary and I'm pretty sure they hand out brochures with the regulations in advance so that the students will be aware of the regulations and rules. They cannot expect that place to be a nice place. BTW I'm strongly convinced that Jana, for example has been forced to taking a course or whatever they call these mental death camps and their indoctrination programs. As have the vast majority of the people that go there. ***ETA guilting, shaming, scaring someone into taking the course, alongside with all other manipulative methods, do count as forceful in my eyes.

I disagree. JTTH seems awful to us, because we're not fundies. These girls/guys have been indoctrinated since childhood. I'm sure they think it's a very nice place. The website for it does not make it sound like a soul-crushing experience. To be honest, I think people want to believe that certain 'kids' are sent there because they're showing signs of rebellion, but it's wishful thinking.

I'm feeling kinda privileged for not being to able to believe that there are people out there that desire to be anywhere near these camps. I know what you are saying I just cannot imagine it to be desirable to attend ATI.

I don't think they're being forced to go, I think they want to. It's a chance to get out of their insane house, away from the majority of their insane family, and spend some time with people who aren't related to them, maybe even make some new friends, which they have very few opportunities to do otherwise. I'm sure some families do send rebellious/drifting children on a Journey to try and get them back in line, but people like Priscilla Keller and Jill Duggar also went, so...

It's kind of weird that JD is there given his age... he's what, 23? 3 Years older than his brother was when he got married. But maybe he wants to hang out with some of his friends, or maybe there are opportunities to meet girls when you're there. I know there's been speculation that John's not living at the TTH anymore, and I hope it's true for his sake.

JD is the Duggar offspring with the most freedom and who gets the most time to himself, as far as we can tell. I can see no reason he'd willingly go to JTTH except to meet his future wife.

it's either all male or all female journeys. not co ed goings on and over nighters with these folk :lol:

maybe, just maybe, he could ne surreptitiously scooping out potentials for the girls though ;) or possibly getting in with a brother of a young lady he is eying. never know.

JD is the Duggar offspring with the most freedom and who gets the most time to himself, as far as we can tell. I can see no reason he'd willingly go to JTTH except to meet his future wife.

I agree. JD does not strike me as the type to decide on his own he needs to reconnect with Jesus and from what we saw of Jana's Journey, aside from some walks in the woods, there does not appear to be any more privacy than he'd get at home. It's possible his work freedom has led to some concerns that he is - how did Michelle put it - being sucked into the world.

I know Priscilla met her fabulous future husband while she was on a Journey, but I always assumed it was because he was working at Headquarters at the time. The timing of the male and female Journeys don't overlap, so I'm not sure whether the young men have any opportunity to interact with their young lady counterparts unless there are some female staffers around.

A combination of stress and cheap crappy food like Tater Tot Casserole?

This was my first thought as well :wink-penguin:

My guess is he's looking for a fundie bride or the trip will be used as part of an episode. Maybe he was able to fly himself up there.

I think male pattern baldness comes from winning the genetic lottery on your mother's side, though their stress and crappy diets do set them up for a lot of other problems.

Yes, it's your mother's father you want to look closely at.

Interesting selection question, though. Was there a fundy father who had several godly daughters who passed his gene to a hundred or so boys in the third generation? Does marrying young reduce the selection pressure since the older they get the balder they get? Do balding men choose religion to overcome negative selection pressure in the real world?Except these are mostly only second generation, right? And the trait would nt be expressed in the mother. Maybe normal guys this age choose hairstyles to minimise the recession, either longer or shaven.

Oops, sorry. What I mean is, it seems a large forehead is a sign of god's blessing.

(not snarking on people with a genetic trait, I found the curly hair thing intruiging before I learned it turns Gothard on so they all get perms.)

Archived