IGNORED

What's going on with the Seven Sisters?

holierthanyou

Safety fails (and there have been so many of them...biking in long skirts, playing on the RR tracks, the little brothers climbing trees to saw down limbs) aside, there is something refreshing about the 7 sisters attitude toward their lifestyle. It's there again the most recent post, with the Amish references. They know they're different, but they don't care that others aren't. They have "normal" friends. Heck, they have friends, period. (Take that Stevie). No, I don't agree one bit with what their lifestyle espouses, but their apparent comfortableness with it is so different than so many of the other fundies we snark on.

IIRC, I read a long time ago one of the older girls talking about the head covering and that the exact age was between the girl and Daddy. I got the feeling they were allowed to be little girls for as long as they wanted.

Just curious, has anyone ever seen a photo of the boys in pants that don't have holes in the knees. At first I thought every photo posted was taken in the same pants so I checked. No, definitely several pairs with holes. Nothing wrong with that at home of course but they were wearing the same pants in their holiday shots.

Dragging up and older thread...

I was reading the Seven Sisters blog this afternoon and it seems the youngest two sisters have started to wear the lace head covering. In the pictures from their bike ride, all of them are wearing a covering.

I wondered if they were ever going to start covering or if they were perhaps the rebels of the family with dreams of higher education or pants or something.

Also, is it safe to ride a bike in a dress? I would worry that the fabric would get caught in the pedals or gears or something.

sevenfarmgirlsisters.com/a-ride-around-the-country-block/

It's safe on a "girl's" bike, one with a step-through frame and a chain guard like the top picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step-through_frame

I've ridden in a long skirt many times without any problems.

I was wondering if perhaps they didn't have to cover until menarche. It might fit the ages there, kinda hard to tell.

Why do the two brothers always look like grubby little urchins? The sisters do everything in clean and pressed dresses, fish, bike ride. The brothers are always in stained, ripped clothing. I can see that being acceptable for playing on the farm but even on their trip to CT to visit friends they were dressed like that.

i'm oddly fascinated with this family

Me too. They remind me very much of a very happy, very fundie Pentecostal family I knew growing up. I went to a fundie reformed church, but I knew this family through a Christian festival my town held each year. Also, some of the them were homeschooled but some went to my school. They dressed in a way similar to the Seven Sisters (not all wore headcoverings, though) and every time I saw them out and about, they were friendly and seemed more deeply happy than most folks I knew - fundies included.

The father and sons run a store and I'm sometimes tempted to stick my head in there when I'm back home.

I was wondering if perhaps they didn't have to cover until menarche. It might fit the ages there, kinda hard to tell.

I read their whole blog last winter, and I'm pretty sure they begin covering when they are old enough to ask about and understand the reasons. However it seems that the older girls started to cover at a younger age than the younger girls.

I will admit it: I really do like and admire a lot about the Seven Sisters. I'm not giving anyone a pass on beliefs they (likely) hold that I consider vile, but what I admire about them is they seem to genuinely love each other, embrace life, and have fun in everything they do. Is it old-fashioned and dorky and kinda weird? Well yeah.

But it still looks like a whole lot more love and fun than any of the ATI or VF families.

I don't like the life that they have been raised to lead, and I blame their weird parents for that, but considering that they don't have the skills to do anything else I am very glad they seem to be happy/fulfilled and love each other. Also, they seem about as sweet and harmless as fundies get so it's pretty hard to actively dislike them.

I agree this is a happy family. However, it was so sad and somewhat pathetic when one of the older girls (Cassia?) bought a military jacket and dressed up in it, cause that was cool and fun. She was about 19--there are women her age making real contributions in the military, and she is wondering if she should make the jacket into a cute purse.

I agree this is a happy family. However, it was so sad and somewhat pathetic when one of the older girls (Cassia?) bought a military jacket and dressed up in it, cause that was cool and fun. She was about 19--there are women her age making real contributions in the military, and she is wondering if she should make the jacket into a cute purse.

I was saddened when the oldest (Jessica?) on her birthday talked about the future, and "maybe marriage one day but I'm happy with my parents for now". Girl, you are 25 not 15....

And isn't there one who had an ambulance on her bday cake b/c she's interested in healthcare, but of course could never, herself, be an emt?

Archived