IGNORED

BBC barely scratches the quiverfull surface

FairyPrincessK

The article discusses the quiverfull movement and Nancy Cambell and Above Rubies. Although they point out various trips overseas to help recruit for the quiverfull movement, and the motivating concern that undesirable populations are outstripping Christians fast :evil-eye: They barely scratch the surface. They point to No Longer Quivering and the feminist movement as those raising objections, but on the whole I am very disappointed with the coverage in this article. I realize that the BBC feels the remit to be unbiased fairly strongly, but this is a Magazine piece, surely it wouldn't be unfair coverage to delve more deeply into the connections with SODRT-style homeschooling, prohibitions against women working outside the home, social isolation, abuse and some of the darker implications than just "women have lots of babies and families eschew contraception even when it sometimes endangers a woman's health" which fair enough--is a problem. :shrug: I just feel like there should be MORE awareness that these decisions aren't made by individuals who have the freedom to make choices in the ways that readers of this piece might envision. :angry-banghead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22526252

It's interesting that of the two quivercouples they interviewed, in both cases it was all the women's idea and then men weren't so keen. Once had to be persuaded into it and the other now wants a break. That really shows how this movement can be a way of legitimizing a baby addiction. It also made a weird contrast in the article when they got to the part about male authority.

I lolled at Mr Dawes.

Dawes's husband Damian, who is self-employed, admits the pressures of raising a large family on a single income can be stressful. "They're all great kids, but sometimes it's a bit overwhelming and you think, how am I going to pay?"

He has doubts about continuing to follow Quiverfull teachings on family planning. "I don't want any more at the moment. I'd like to have a break."

I bet he does.

I have been surprised since moving to a rather conservative LDS suburb there have been 5 suicides, all men 30-50's . Having a lot of kids & the new standard of bigger homes & toys, and the bad economy has been at least part of the cause (if not the sole reason) behind these suicides.

I wonder if this is an issue with the quiverfull men? I can't imagine it can be easy with quiverfull not encouraging higher education in this economy to have 6+ kids.

I think the reason that the article barely scratches the surface is that it's one of those summary pieces there to promote an upcoming TV/radio programme. These articles usually skim the surface; I expect the radio show will go into more detail ("The Womb as a Weapon", BBC World Service 19:32GMT 18 May). They don't want to give away all the detail in the article else no one will tune in!

("The Womb as a Weapon", BBC World Service 19:32GMT 18 May). They don't want to give away all the detail in the article else no one will tune in!

I will definitely try to listen to this.

The thing is though they still have sex with their wives and knowingly know they are not on any bc so they have to shoulder some of the blame here.

I watched in awe at the big families documentary as we are what would be classed a blended family in the past we'd just be called the step family. I found it a bit well wishy washy to be honest.

Looks like I missed it as well anyone have a recap of it all and was it any good or just meh!!!

I was wondering why Quiverfull didnt be exposed be fore these times. I read the history and see its a new-ish movement only from the 1970s but only becoming bigger when internet came common, maybe last 15-20 years. So especially now from internet so many Quiverfull do blogs and this exposing them selves. I wish there was an expose' tv program to show the truth like they did it to FLDS.

I was listening to BBC radio early this AM and heard that spot.

A Womb is a Weapon

lists more future showtimes--I can't seem to find a podcast

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0188t2w

It featured Nancy Campbell speaking about how the word "woman" means "womb-man" which is what the purpose of a woman is…a womb man. Hmm. This must only be for English-speaking women, since you can't get that word morph thing going on in other languages. How Anglo-centric of her.

Campbell believes that many women have forgotten their biological, and for her, God-given function. "He created her with a womb. And in fact that's the most distinguishing characteristic of a woman. In the American Webster's 1928 dictionary, it says that woman is combination of two words: womb and man. She is a womb-man."

I think the BBC did a pretty good job of giving Nancy enough rope on the broadcast. She clearly exposed her racist agenda of how she wanted lots of white babies born to counteract rising minority populations. She also sounded really creepy when she spoke.

Campbell believes there are specific groups of people with high birth-rates that she is worried will soon outnumber Christians. "We are limiting our children. And then we are allowing other cultures to come into our nation who are having a lot more children than us.

The thing is though they still have sex with their wives and knowingly know they are not on any bc so they have to shoulder some of the blame here.

I watched in awe at the big families documentary as we are what would be classed a blended family in the past we'd just be called the step family. I found it a bit well wishy washy to be honest.

Looks like I missed it as well anyone have a recap of it all and was it any good or just meh!!!

Yeah, I don't really see any of these men as poor wittle victims of their crazy wife's whims. They're a part of this as much as the mothers and I don't have much sympathy for any of them.

I'm Canadian and I can listen to it. Thanks! I'm pretty sure the BBC is a lot more lax with their audio streaming as opposed to their video streaming, I've listened to several programmes before.

Nancy Campbell actually sounds like a mad woman. This whole movement is scary stuff. :\

I'm in the US and was able to listen to the entire broadcast.

Nancy Campbell's voice is creepy as fuck. I mean, so are her ideas obviously, but that voice! She sounds completely demented.

I'm in the process of drafting an article to send to the BBC about this as I think their coverage was facile and superficial. They annoy me when they do that sort of thing - not what I pay my licence fee for.

It featured Nancy Campbell speaking about how the word "woman" means "womb-man" which is what the purpose of a woman is…a womb man. Hmm. This must only be for English-speaking women, since you can't get that word morph thing going on in other languages. How Anglo-centric of her.

woman (n.)

late Old English wimman (plural wimmen), literally "woman-man," alteration of wifman (plural wifmen), a compound of wif "woman" (see wife) + man "human being" (in Old English used in reference to both sexes; see man (n.)). Cf. Dutch vrouwmens "wife," literally "woman-man."

The formation is peculiar to English and Dutch. Replaced older Old English wif and quean as the word for "female human being." The pronunciation of the singular altered in Middle English by the rounding influence of -w-; the plural retains the original vowel. Meaning "wife," now largely restricted to U.S. dialectal use, is attested from mid-15c. Women's liberation is attested from 1966; women's rights is from 1840, with an isolated example in 1630s.

I mean at least Google before you make incredibly stupid etymological arguments, Ms. Campbell. (Not that the etymology of words is any kind of an argument in the first place).

I have been surprised since moving to a rather conservative LDS suburb there have been 5 suicides, all men 30-50's . Having a lot of kids & the new standard of bigger homes & toys, and the bad economy has been at least part of the cause (if not the sole reason) behind these suicides.

I wonder if this is an issue with the quiverfull men? I can't imagine it can be easy with quiverfull not encouraging higher education in this economy to have 6+ kids.

Probably not so much. Among the homeschooling fundie, the older kids are expected to take up the slack. Money getting tight? Send the 16 year old son to mow lawns, get the older girls to babysit. The average fundie tends to live more frugally than Mormons. They have small homes, kids stacked like cordwood, thrift shop and many hunt and grow veg. With Mormons appearance seems to be more important. Genralising I know but many Mormon bloggers show nice homes with decent furniture, good clothes and cars. That lifestyle is more expensive than the frugle quiverful lifestyle so there will be more pressure to keep up appearances.

I sincerely hope it only scratched the surface because all they could find was one mad women and the movement has as much chance of becoming a political movement in the UK as hen's teeth.

Nancy Campbell's voice is creepy as fuck. I mean, so are her ideas obviously, but that voice! She sounds completely demented.

Yes!! Finally got a chance to listen to this broadcast, her voice is horrifyingly creepy!

I thought it did quite a good job in covering the movement, given that most of the listeners will never have heard of the concept of Quiverfull before. I actually hadn't realised that it had a foothold in the UK, but I did enjoy how clearly uncomfortable the bloke at the end was when confronted with the racist undertones of their beliefs.

I was wondering why Quiverfull didnt be exposed be fore these times. I read the history and see its a new-ish movement only from the 1970s

Well, before the 1970s it was really just called life. It was common prior to that to have large families and there wasn't really any need for a movement.

Archived