IGNORED

Candida Moss Debunks The ‘Myth' Of Christian Persecution

doggie

this is a pretty good article and really lays it out. Of course it won't stop our martyrs but makes me feel better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/1 ... 75973.html

RNS) Growing up Catholic in England, Candida Moss felt secure in life, yet was told in church that Christians have been persecuted since the dawn of Christianity. Now, as an adult and a theologian, she wants to set the record straight.

Too many modern Christians invoke, to lamentable effect, an ancient history of persecution that didn’t exist, Moss argues in her newly published book, “The Myth of Persecution: How Early Christians Invented A Story of Martyrdom.â€

Although anti-Christian prejudice was fairly widespread in the church’s first 300 years, she writes, “the prosecution of Christians was rare, and the persecution of Christians was limited to no more than a handful of years.â€

bakdoc 1980 shows what Christians use as persecution:

Criticism. Disagreement. Requesting proof. Accusation . All are considered "persecution" by Christians . The reality is that they no longer cruise along without being confronted with their greatest enemy -- rationality. And when required to explain/justify without resorting to superstition the whole thing just falls apart. It's about time.

A commenter calling people who agree with him a sniper; whatever the hell that means; proves his point. This is why I define myself as a deist who accepts the Big Bang Theory, evolution and doesn't take the Bible word for word while still accepting a belief in Mary, Jesus and the saints. I don't want to be considered a member of a group that wants to use peoples souls as their anti-non Christian empire. Fundie Christians who aren't Roman Catholic (or variations of) or Eastern Orthodox (or variations of) may be surprised at how Catholic and Orthodox early Christianity was like. They don't even study the history of their own damn religion because they always have to be right and superior to those who they consider to not be Christians who call themselves Christians, non-Christians and atheists. It's pathetic.

Reading history makes me more interested and not ignorant about my beliefs is how I see it. People can't religious about everything they view; because it'll blind them in some areas. I hope I'm not confusing anybody...

Today's Christians wouldn't know persecution if it bit them on the ass. That said, the whole article had me scratching my head. :? :think: The comments had me pulling my hair out. :pull-hair: That's one book I won't be reading. Too much WTF going on in that article. :wtf:

Someone named their kid Yeast Moss? Really? Candida is just cruel.

"Oh, Candida's here, now we have to do a cleanse!" Okay, maybe only if she went to jr. high with a bunch of health nuts.

But still.

Hey, if she had twin it could be name Brewer's or Rapid Rise . . . maybe Red Star?

I thought that it was common knowledge that ancient Christian were not persecuted as severely as people used to believe. It isn't that they were not persecuted at all, just that it was not as bad or widespread as used to be assumed.

I thought that it was common knowledge that ancient Christian were not persecuted as severely as people used to believe. It isn't that they were not persecuted at all, just that it was not as bad or widespread as used to be assumed.

And certainly not as badly as Christians persecuted Jews.

Archived