IGNORED

"Child Catchers" by Kathryn Joyce

mystikchick17

I read the book over the Fourth of July weekend and thought it was very good. One of the things that really stood out to me was the whole attitude towards adoptees as perpetual children, unable to have an adult view of their situation/overall situation - thinking specifically about the Korean adoptees and the oldest daughter who changed her name back - Takumweira (?) - sorry, don't have the copy of the book with me.

I enjoyed the analysis of the patriarchy in S Korea as well.

I haven't read the book, so I don't know if it's implied that it's only international adoptees/adoptees in fundie circles, but all adoptees are perpetual children in the eyes of the law. Children who aren't entitled to the basic right every other person takes for granted, the right to know who they are. I ran into this attitude myself after finding out I was adopted, from a couple different places.

Any ideas on the Campbell's response to this?

I noticed that Nancy Campbell has suddenly displayed photos of one of the adopted daughters (and the daughter's baby) in the most recent Above Rubies magazine, after failing to acknowledge her existence for at least a couple of years. Coincidence? Hmmmmm....

(Side note: recently got an email from Doug Phillips who is a tool, extolling the Above Rubies ministry. It kind of surprised me, as I figure the Campbells are a little too, er, "lowbrow" for the likes of VF. Above Rubies magazine is just a goldmine of snark. It's free, which means the Campbells and their supporters are basically paying me to read it. I have them send me the paper version just so it will cost them more, and will never donate to defray the costs. Reading between the lines of some of their essays can give you a sense of what's up with the state of their ministry/propaganda machine. They seem a bit irritable in the most recent edition, so may be rather displeased by the negative publicity from the Joyce book).

I'm such a Zahara Jolie-Pitt fangirl. She's so beautiful and always has such a big, gorgeous, vibrant smile on her face. Just seems like a happy, energetic kid. Obviously photo ops give a very limited picture of anyone, but Zahara's joyfulness really just vibrates.

(Just to be clear, the above is not a comment on the adoption! Just a gush. :))

I'

She basically says that adopting kids who still have living parents is fine, because Ethiopians aren't as attached to their children as Westerners are. 'Bowers went on to discount children's claims of having surviving family by arguing that Ethiopians call everyone "brother" and "mother".' She describes the people there having "low understanding, low education, and low intellect." She says that the people there don't value children because they are too busy surviving, and it's okay to take kids away from a living mother because they don't get as attached to their kids, compared to the American adoptive parents who are tender and soft and understanding.

Well fuck her and the horse she rode in on.

It's not that they don't love and value their children, but when you have seen a few of your children die, you have become a parent when barely a teen yourself, and you have truamatic births, you have to build up an emotional shield. You have to our you go fucking crazy and you lose all semblance of a functional life.

If she had been though one half of what these women have, she'd be a catatonic mess. THese women manage to keep going.

I haven't read the book, so I don't know if it's implied that it's only international adoptees/adoptees in fundie circles, but all adoptees are perpetual children in the eyes of the law. Children who aren't entitled to the basic right every other person takes for granted, the right to know who they are. I ran into this attitude myself after finding out I was adopted, from a couple different places.

Her focus is on the international, with varying degrees of "fundie", but I can definitely imagine it carries over. The other thing that she brought out was the "ungrateful child" aspect, which I imagine also carries over quite a bit.

I liked one of the reviews on Amazon for Child Catchers. The reviewer is a woman claiming to be a Christian. She condemns people taking children from their parents and paying 30K for an adoption. Instead, she says people should leave the child with the family and help them monetarily. Make it about the CHILD not about the adopter.

I don't understand what you mean by this, that all adoptees are perpetual children in the eyes of the law. Can you detail that?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand what you mean by this, that all adoptees are perpetual children in the eyes of the law. Can you detail that?

In US adoptions, a totally fictional identity is created when a child is adopted--the original birth certificate is sealed and a new one issued, in which the names of the adoptive parents are put on as the natural parents--the child is "as born to" the adoptive parents. In most, although not all, US states, adoptees are still legally unable to obtain their original birth certificates, or any identifying information about their natural families--something that is totally a right for everyone else.

In US adoptions, a totally fictional identity is created when a child is adopted--the original birth certificate is sealed and a new one issued, in which the names of the adoptive parents are put on as the natural parents--the child is "as born to" the adoptive parents. In most, although not all, US states, adoptees are still legally unable to obtain their original birth certificates, or any identifying information about their natural families--something that is totally a right for everyone else.

This is true. My dad was adopted and he got a copy of his birth certificate when we got our passports. His birth certificate lists his adopted parents and the name they gave him. Sometimes, kids who are adopted more recently can still get information from their birthparents, but the longer ago the adoption was, the harder it is to get information on birth parents. The only way he can get information about his birth family is to send in lots of paperwork, and it isn't even a guarantee that he'll find out anything.

There was a bit of a discussion about the book as it related to her excellent piece in Mother Jones referenced in this thread, but I'm nearly done with the book and just when I think I can't get more outraged, sick, or angry, the fundies somehow outdo themselves yet again. Her piece in MJ went into more detail about the specific case of the Campbells, but the way these organizations are operating with complete impunity since "God laid it on their hearts" is unconscionable. And the abuse suffered by some of these kids (she details the experiences of the Campbell Liberian adoptees) is sick. Who the fuck beats a small child to get them to talk?

Is anyone else out there reading it? What are your impressions?

I read it back in May. I agree just when I thought the fundie fuckery couldn't piss me off more they topped themselves.

This is true. My dad was adopted and he got a copy of his birth certificate when we got our passports. His birth certificate lists his adopted parents and the name they gave him. Sometimes, kids who are adopted more recently can still get information from their birthparents, but the longer ago the adoption was, the harder it is to get information on birth parents. The only way he can get information about his birth family is to send in lots of paperwork, and it isn't even a guarantee that he'll find out anything.

I did the search for my dad's birthfamily. I was lucky that he was born in one state, adopted in another; his original BC was never sealed and was easy to find. (He was adopted at age six and remembered his original surname; he was born in a very rural area where most people are related to us in one way or another.) I've wondered if that would be the case for other older adoptees (my dad was born in 1952). On the other hand, people adopted in the 1950s were sometimes not even given their correct birthdates, let alone any information about their birthfamilies. I know an adoptee who grew up believing that her birthdate was September 12, 1956. She found out in her twenties that it was really September 12, 1955, and that she was adopted. I imagine that must rock one's world a bit.

My adult son tried to get his original birth certificate when he attained adulthood, and he was basically told that who he was, and who I am--the woman who gave birth to him-- was none of his business and he had no right to that information. We're reunited now but no thanks to the adoption system. I'm not an expert by any means but anyone who wants to PM me I'll share what I do know about how to attempt reunification.

I've read it (a great book, I get so many recommendations for reading off FJ) and totally would encourage anyone to read it. It lays bare a very horrid secret about some forms of international adoption.

I also read some of the "Christian" adoption guides and they are nasty...for example telling the adopted parents not to encourage any sense of cultural connection to the adoptee's origins because biological parents are sinful and inadequate...

My dad was adopted from Korea in the 1950s by an extremely white, religious couple. I know that the categorical denial of his origins and the effacement of any cultural connection to his country of birth has really served him well.

...except it hasn't. :roll: The man is still confused about where he fits in. Sometimes I think about how he would have been different had he been adopted in 2013 instead of 1953, and I find it pretty disheartening that this isn't necessarily the case. I am all for adoption, but not like this.

My adult son tried to get his original birth certificate when he attained adulthood, and he was basically told that who he was, and who I am--the woman who gave birth to him-- was none of his business and he had no right to that information. We're reunited now but no thanks to the adoption system. I'm not an expert by any means but anyone who wants to PM me I'll share what I do know about how to attempt reunification.

My 3 children all have copies of their original birth certificates but only because I got them prior to the records being sealed at the time of finalization.Having one's original birth certificate might not seem like a big deal to those of us not adopted but it s a big deal to those who are. To tell someone they have no right to it is one way to try and keep adoptees permanently children.

Patsy, I'm happy for you and your son that you are reunited. My son is in the process of moving back to the country of his birth. He is reunited with both parents, who are wonderful people. He has 3 sisters and 1 brother. He will be living about 250 miles from his family but that's a lot closer than an 8 hour plane flight.

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread, partly because I finally rose to the top of the waiting list and got the book (and, I'm happy to say, my library system purchased several more copies), and partly because it relates to the thread about Hana Alemu and the Williams trial, but I didn't want to divert that thread too much.

I recommend it. As with many of the fundie-related issues we discuss here, it is all about the ugly side of something that proponents are painting as innocent and lovely -- hey, who could be against helping orphans?

Adopters range from those at the forefront of the self-righteousness and abuse, to innocent, well-meaning people who just wanted to give a home to a child they thought was truly alone in the world.

People and organizations driving the corrupt parts of the system seem to range from the fanatical to those just trying to make a buck.

There's an expose of Nancy Campbell and her gang family, including mention of TTUAC and the Pearls.

And all kinds of mind-boggling quotes from people who don't seem to have a clue about children and their real needs, like this, from Cheryl Ellicott:

Your main goal is not to raise well-adjusted children, but rather to bring the life-changing message of the Gospel to lost souls. If you work with a troubled, damaged child and he never becomes a successful or productive citizen, but he believes the Gospel and has a saving faith in jesus Christ, you have succeeded.

:shock:

Child Catchers is a great book. It is heartening that your library ordered multiple copies and that they were obviously in demand.

I hope that people who read it are led towards "Quiverful" and that more people become aware of the Fundamentalist/Dominionist/Patriarchal groups, their agendas and their growing influence.

Since it is now safe to do so, and since I already did so in the Hana Alemu thread, I am "Jo" from the Child Catchers.

When I first spoke with Kathryn years ago, neither of us had ANY idea I would become part of the book itself. I merely pointed her to where she could find information online, and gave her all of the information I had, including all the emails I had related to any cases relevant to what she was asking.

Today, NBC's front page is featuring the practice of re-homing.

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news ... grave?lite

I find it interesting that they cite the yahoo groups were made aware to Reuters reporters five years ago, that would be exactly when I first spoke with Kathryn and exactly the groups I made her aware of.

It's frightening, and as we navigated a child who was dumped at our doorstep, we constantly asked ourselves HOW could we make certain that everyone understood we were NOT simply going with the status quo of this underground world. WE notified the state. I have been under gag order by our attorney for the duration of my son's adoption in order to protect him from the family that dumped him on us. He has NOW been adopted by us. His US citizenship has been secured. We notified authorities in both states. To my knowledge. nothing was ever done to the first family, and I can only hope that the girl who disappeared from their home WAS relocated to the satisfaction of the local authorities. My son was the third the family dumped. They detailed dumping the first child on their blog, but the girl they dumped simply disappeared and when they contacted US they stated my son was the only child they had ever adopted. I found out the reality by searching online for them.

There are those in the adoption world who would and have said I am against adoption. That is a laughable allegation, given that I have adopted four children myself. I am very supportive of adoption--legal, ethical and safe adoptions. I am against the practices detailed in the Child Catchers and those highlighted by the new Reuter's investigation. I am 1000% against these practices and behaviors. As a society we MUST do something about this. My son is safe ONLY because WE were safe. The family dumping him had NO interest in whether we were safe, but how fast could they throw him away with no consequences to them. When we involved the state and stood up to them, they removed him from our home without warning. It was through the state system that our son stood up, declared he wanted to come back to us, and was brought home permanently the second time.

I just read this also. While the fundies we talk about here were the most obviously appalling, what was new to me was the people who weren't overly religious and who noticed things "off" in the adoption process but continued anyway.

Whatever their reason for being brought here, I was so sad for all the children whose lives have been forever hurt by what they went through.

I absolutely LOVED this book. Last year my husband & I started the process of adopting from Ghana. Fortunately, we only started it & never completed the process. We spent $2000+ of our own money & $2500+ of money donated to us before we finally came to our senses. We belonged to a Ghana adoption group on facebook & time & again we read stories from other families of things that just didn't seem quite right. We've now left trying to adopt from overseas & are in the process of becoming licensed foster parents in our county in the hopes that we will eventually be able to adopt one or more of our future foster children.

I honestly can't say I love this book. I'm deeply saddened that it is necessary. Initially, years ago and before I had extensive interactions with Kathryn, I was afraid she was going to write an expose that was all about the evils of adoption and nothing positive. I discovered through the process that Kathryn is very unbiased, and was VERY fair in her documenting. She DOES present positive alternatives, both as ethical adoptions and as alternatives to adoption entirely. She was also very respectful of my son's privacy, of all of my children's privacy. She edited the book last fall, just before it went to the publisher to add my son's story. We both discussed that the point of his story is that these children are STILL out there. Society NEEDS to see this stuff happens. I had never been a part of, nor personally touched by these horror stories when we first connected. I still hadn't been when she traveled to where I lived to meet with me personally and meet a few of my children. By the time she was ready to publish, this had been dropped literally on my doorstep. Because I was observant, and because Kathryn had TOLD me about the multitude of Liberian children she had uncovered actually shipped back to Liberia, I took the threat to ship my son back to Liberia VERY seriously.

To be perfectly honest, I would have likely continued to try to push the family to engage local and legal resources if they had not threatened to ship him back. They downplayed that threat especially after I reported them to the state and filed legal documents which featured that threat prominently. However, they had priced tickets, they had told him he was going back. He had BEGGED to not be shipped back....and they never surrendered his Liberian passport to us or the courts. Our lawyer requested special clauses in our emergency guardianship and the judge went even further when he signed that request. Part of the gag order on us which required Kathryn to use a pseudonym for me was concern that the family might try to move him out of our state jurisdiction and get rid of him to make the entire situation go away afterall. If they had found a way to do it, they would have. They removed him from our home once when they realized we weren't going to play by the underground rules.

The Campbell child now featured with her child with Above Rubies went back to the Campbells. When they threw her out, they kept her biological sibling. The only way she can have contact with that sibling is to toe the line with them. There is a LOT of Stockholm Syndrome at play, a lot of desperately wanting A FAMILY, and a lot of needing to have contact with the sibling.

Much of what we have worked on in therapy IS the Stockholm syndrome to try to give our child the distance and emotional health to break through that bondage. The Campbell kids were bounced to other fundie families and still never received therapy of any sort that I am aware of.

I'm in the process of reading this again because the first time around there was so much to process, but my anger and horror really prevented me from taking it all in. I think it's a very well documented, well written book and I hope it helps shake up and put an end to these so-called "Christian" adoption scams, where the welfare and happiness of the children are of least importance.

Archived