IGNORED

Huge sex abuse scandal SGM

DefraudedbyGothard

Bill O'Neil, one of the lawyers for the SGM plaintiffs, was interviewed on a Christian talk radio show (linked via this post on TWW).

Deb's summary of one of the points the lawyer made makes me think of how a number of people we snark on here-- like Doug Phillips is a tool-- dismiss criticism (from insiders as well as outsiders): "O'Neil explained that the parents of the molested children were forbidden by the church leaders to warn others because that was considered 'gossip.'"

Gossip. They keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.

For mention of him being in SGM church circa 1999 (VF was started 1998, I believe, if that give any reference): homeschoolchristian.com/allabout/interviews/interviewphillips.php

And references to discipling are in various places but most tellingly, he puts it in his own bio:

visionforumministries.org/home/about/about_the_president.aspx

It is really interesting how many people have ties in one way or another to SGM. I've found myself many times on Pinterest looking at food or crafts or whatever, following a link to a blog, and finding out that the person in one way or another supports SGM, namely CJ Mahaney; who is the ringleader behind all of this.

It is astounding that so many within the churches kept quiet and tried to make the abuse go away. In the same vein, having been a part of an SGM church (neither my husband nor I believed many of the things that SGM purported, like women must stay home and homeschool), it isn't entirely surprising. The culture of complete control is fostered by the leaders, whether they are home group leaders, worship leaders, or pastor. You are explicitly told not to criticize the leaders, lest you be falling into sin. Specifically, during one service, the pastor said that he, "would be totally surprised" if anyone had anything negative to say about him. My brother is a pastor in a denomination close to Quaker, and the congregants have full right to be critical where necessary, and they do. All of that to illustrate the point that there is VERY strict control over every facet of your life within SGM. The longer that my husband and I were there, and especially in light of the lawsuit, the more and more it appears that SGM is a cult.

I can't begin to express my anger at those who committed the abuse and conspired to cover it up. There truly are no words for that. I hope that justice is served to those involved, and that the victims are able to find peace and healing moving forward.

It is really interesting how many people have ties in one way or another to SGM. I've found myself many times on Pinterest looking at food or crafts or whatever, following a link to a blog, and finding out that the person in one way or another supports SGM, namely CJ Mahaney; who is the ringleader behind all of this.

It is astounding that so many within the churches kept quiet and tried to make the abuse go away. In the same vein, having been a part of an SGM church (neither my husband nor I believed many of the things that SGM purported, like women must stay home and homeschool), it isn't entirely surprising. The culture of complete control is fostered by the leaders, whether they are home group leaders, worship leaders, or pastor. You are explicitly told not to criticize the leaders, lest you be falling into sin. Specifically, during one service, the pastor said that he, "would be totally surprised" if anyone had anything negative to say about him. My brother is a pastor in a denomination close to Quaker, and the congregants have full right to be critical where necessary, and they do. All of that to illustrate the point that there is VERY strict control over every facet of your life within SGM. The longer that my husband and I were there, and especially in light of the lawsuit, the more and more it appears that SGM is a cult.

I can't begin to express my anger at those who committed the abuse and conspired to cover it up. There truly are no words for that. I hope that justice is served to those involved, and that the victims are able to find peace and healing moving forward.

Glad to hear you extricated yourselves; I hope that your church now is a nourishing & healthy place.

The more I've read about SGM over the years (particularly at the Survivors blog) the more it seems like a total cult. People's accounts of having to participate in the mandatory small groups with other church members and then be fully honest in anything they say or share there were mind-boggling to me. It reminded me of Scientology with its insistence on members relating their deepest secrets, thoughts & feelings to an "auditor" or whatever the eff they're called.

Both the SGM small group & Scientology's auditing strike me as nothing more than collecting materials for future blackmail control.

Glad to hear you extricated yourselves; I hope that your church now is a nourishing & healthy place.

The more I've read about SGM over the years (particularly at the Survivors blog) the more it seems like a total cult. People's accounts of having to participate in the mandatory small groups with other church members and then be fully honest in anything they say or share there were mind-boggling to me. It reminded me of Scientology with its insistence on members relating their deepest secrets, thoughts & feelings to an "auditor" or whatever the eff they're called.

Both the SGM small group & Scientology's auditing strike me as nothing more than collecting materials for future blackmail control.

Thanks for the well wishes! We are in a healthy church where we have found much healing and freedom. My husband "did" 6 years in SGM before we met, so he is still deprogramming to an extent. Both of us tend to be moderate on most things and liberal on a few, which didn't jive well with SGM culture. Oh well, when we left, we threw away every single book that we had by an SGM author, which was many. It was like detox and finally being able to breathe again.

On the topic of wanting you to share your darkest things with the care group. That is completely true. You were encouraged to talk about "the things that you are struggling with", with the entire group. The care group leader takes notes on what is discussed and by whom at the meeting. Those notes are then relayed to the pastoral team, which further perpetuated the cult-like level of control over everyone. Based on what you said at care group, you might have people who "lovingly confront" you about your perceived "sin". Most things within SGM were associated with sin. "Oh, you listen to secular music? Can I pray for you that the holy spirit would guide your heart toward the lord?" "Uh..."

This is the latest on the lawsuit front. The two plaintiffs, who have turned 18 in the past three years, are still able to pursue civil action, but will have to do so in VA, where they are from. Additionally, the criminal investigations, which have sprung from the civil suit, are ongoing. There is no statute of limitations for felonies, which bodes well for those who were abused because their abuser could still be prosecuted, if they were charged with a felony realting to the abuse.

link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid932647471001?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAAAGuN0bcE~%2CrS1wzGXkRNkBi1RYglqd0AIIsZiMZoqu&bclid=0&bctid=2390493706001

The culture of complete control is fostered by the leaders, whether they are home group leaders, worship leaders, or pastor. You are explicitly told not to criticize the leaders, lest you be falling into sin.

Those notes are then relayed to the pastoral team, which further perpetuated the cult-like level of control over everyone. Based on what you said at care group, you might have people who "lovingly confront" you about your perceived "sin". "

O.M.G.

I have been living this, not my own church but a local one. I dared criticise the staff (for covering up sex abuse in their church) and well, i must be the only one who has ever stood up to them. The sheeple don't...it would be sin!

And yes, they tried to "come alongside and disciple me." Thanks but no thanks mofos.

They are not southern Baptist, they are GARBC (Regular Baptist), equally cult like and dangerous.

O.M.G.

I have been living this, not my own church but a local one. I dared criticise the staff (for covering up sex abuse in their church) and well, i must be the only one who has ever stood up to them. The sheeple don't...it would be sin!

And yes, they tried to "come alongside and disciple me." Thanks but no thanks mofos.

They are not southern Baptist, they are GARBC (Regular Baptist), equally cult like and dangerous.

Even though history and our present day displays clear acts of violence, schemes, cover ups, etc. by the Christian church, as a whole, it still amazes and saddens me when things like this happen. Committing terrible offenses or covering them up is terrible in and of itself, but doing so "in the name of God" is beyond morally reprehensible.

It is great that you stood up to the to the church leaders and were willing to stand on the side of the victims. The sheeple who choose to do nothing, in my mind, are equally as guilty as those who willfully attempt to cover abuse up., regardless of the church situation.

Did they manage to throw in at least two or three "bless your hearts", while they were at it? You know that you've really tweaked a nerve then!

As a matter of fact I did get a "bless your heart" How did you ever guess?? ;)

Well, naturally when anyone, especially a woman, is in disagreement with church leadership they need to be blessed because of the treacherous sin that they are committing might eternally condemn then to Hell. It is all okay though, as long as they followed up with, "Can I pray for you?". ;)

It is so sad that, while those things are said in jest, they are considered to be true by so many. Ugh!

I have no insight into the mindset of someone who would be a part of this group, so I shouldn't comment on their actions, but how did the parents not say anything when the church leaders brushed them off?

When you're told 'don't talk to the police, we'll handle this' how can you not turn around and say, 'that fuck stuck his dick in my toddler, not only am I going to the police, I'm going to be spreading fliers, taking out an ad in the newspaper, and hiring a fucking sky writer so that he doesn't do the same to another child.' Your child has just been hideously violated and abused, how can you stay quiet (and resist the urge to cut that monster's dick off)?

I guess I'm lucky that I've never been involved in the kind relationship that would help me understand this.

At this point I wonder if there is any major religious organization that isn't just an elaborate system for aiding child sexual abusers.

No.

I had to go look this up and I was stunned to find that they're actually trying to get this dismissed because "It's a church issue and therefor the government shouldn't have any jurisdiction." I think I'm mostly horrified that they could actually think that when they've been covering up for RAPISTS and abusers. There just aren't words for how disgusted I am.

This is perhaps my biggest issue with all of these 'churches'. It appears that they get a free pass on many issues and regulatory agencies operate with a hands off approach because of the fear of the First Amendment. As a result, abuse at every possible level (physical, emotional, financial, political) is allowed to occur. :pull-hair:

So, Together for the Gospel (Mark Dever, Ligon Duncan, and Al Mohler) posted a Facebook message in support of SGM leadership, particularly C.J. Mahaney. It did not go over well, as evidenced by the mostly negative comments that point out its blatant factual misstatements.

Dever, Duncan, and Mohler took a move out of the Brave Sir Robin playbook and pulled the post, bravely running away. But not before someone (writer Bill Kinnon) took a screenshot, available to look at here, if you're interested in seeing how Reformed leadership has responded to criticisms that SGM leadership at best enabled and at worst facilitated abuse: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/e3 ... 3f82acf8c9

Archived