IGNORED

Damn Those Pesky Facts

debrand

One thing that I have noticed about some fundies. They claim to deplore emotionalism and value logic but they tend to be pretty emotionally driven. The entire fantasy of princesses and knights has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with romanticizing a culture that they wish to export to young people.

This very emotional video panders to the same type of mentality. I think that it is an emotionally manipulative video.

Some highlights from this video "There's a force at work determined to cloud and destroy. A darkness crafty enough to disguise itself as fact" Damn those pesky facts, they keep getting in the way, except when they support our viewpoints.

That looked like it could be a video for a more mainstream christian conference. I smell bait and switch.

That looked like it could be a video for a more mainstream christian conference. I smell bait and switch.

I found it on Alex and Brett Harris' site.

Did anyone else see that one of the quotes was from "Christian Researchers"? Yeah, really good research there. No risk of bias at all. But, that's right, other researchers would use facts *gasp*.

I agree it looks like a more mainstream Christian conference. It includes Christian Rock. Not many fundies or even conservatives appreciate contemporary Christian music...

Also, I think a lot of the premise is downright ridiculous, but maybe everyone I grew up with and myself are all just incredibly tame compared to these "normal" teens. Because clearly "normal" teens are demon-worshippers or something.

Guest Anonymous

Not many fundies or even conservatives appreciate contemporary Christian music...

Serious question: Does anyone with ears appreciate contemporary Christian music?

Seems off topic but is just long winded:

I had a friend who was fundi-lite. She was a big support during a particularly trying time so I was really quite grateful. So grateful that when I finally solved the problem that was vexing me - I tolerated her casual asides about how I was going straight to "h-e-double hockey sticks"(yes she said that) and I dutifully went to all her baby showers and bought gifts for all of her then 6 children (now I think she has 9 but it may be more) and tolerated her religion as best as I could. But the friendship ended rather abruptly when she and her husband formed a Christian rock band and put out a CD (I think it even won a Christian music award). No amount of gratefulness could help me over come my instant and utter dislike of Christian Rock and I could NOT buy a CD. I think that was the last heathen straw for her. The good part was: never had to listen to Christian rock again. :dance:

edited because I riffled

Serious question: Does anyone with ears appreciate contemporary Christian music?

There are some artists out there that are pretty good. I am particularly fond of Rich Mullins- but he died in a car accident in the late 1990's. He sounds a lot like Dougie MacLean (and has covered a few of his songs). Like any music, you have to pick and choose your artists.

Did anyone else see that one of the quotes was from "Christian Researchers"? Yeah, really good research there. No risk of bias at all. But, that's right, other researchers would use facts *gasp*.

I agree it looks like a more mainstream Christian conference. It includes Christian Rock. Not many fundies or even conservatives appreciate contemporary Christian music...

My memory is very fuzzy these days, but from what I can remember this is a very mainstream Evangelical conference. Their creed fits in with the Saddleback/Willow Creek crowd perfectly (acquirethefire.com/creed) which is really my context of expertise.

No one who is billing the likes of Toby Mac (acquirethefire.com/index.cfm/PageID/2548/index.html) would fit in with the type of folks usually discussed on here. ATF is far too trendy and modern to fit in with the skirt wearing, KJV-loving, 1828 dictionary crowd.

It's an interesting contrast, though, to the family-integrated types and their movie, "Divided." The one thinks the other is the problem, but they're both beating the same drum. I suspect it's the rumbles of the structural problems that exist within literalist Christianity.

Edited to break a link.

I think it's so interesting how the context of evangelical Christianity has changed in the past decade. When Bush II was elected, it was all the mainstream evangelicals that were discussed as the new fundamentalists. Now they have become the "mainstream" evangelicals, and people like Bachmann have become the new fundamentalists. I shudder to think what another decade could bring.

demgirl, I am now terrified. Thanks for that thought. *hides*

I do actually like some contemporary Christian artists. Not most, but there are a few that I think are genuinely talented or just plain fun, but I also am not the pickiest with my music tastes. My friends laugh if my iTunes is on shuffle because they can't predict what might come next: Mahler, Disney music, hymns, Christian rock, classic rock, oldies, pop, more recent rock, Maritime music, folk, Scottish folk rock, K'naan, musicals, something as absurd as comedic Canadians the Arrogant Worms - it's really unpredictable although classic rock is probably the safest guess. For example, I particularly enjoy Casting Crowns for their harmonies and Relient K for just being downright silly at times while also having some more serious songs I can easily relate too. And there are other artists who have the odd song I quite like, like Steven Curtis Chapman's "Cinderella" or "Dive".

That said, I agree that the majority of Christian rock I can happily do without (and some I would prefer to do without) and I used to be on a "Worship Team" (I love singing). There's a lot more I don't like to sort through to get to stuff I do like than in other genres, for sure, but it's not *all* rubbish.

Archived