IGNORED

Duggar Episode Tonight

xDreamerx

My favorite was Michelle, "Oh, we thought we were out of the woods with Josie!" because apparently she thought her extremely premature child is fine now that she's cleared her first year of life. I don't even have kids, and I'm able to connect the dots and realize that Josie will probably have to be rushed to the hospital more than a few times before kindergarden.

I also cringed at the older girls trying to homeschool the little kids. Not that the girls are dumb, it's just obviously that no one, including Michelle, is qualified to teach (never mind that the older kids shouldn't have to do that kind of stuff in the first place).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that was, as we say on Bravo shows, editing by the magical elves. Jana had probably just gotten back from the HOSPITAL with Josie, and now BACK home taking care of the little kids.

Jessica, or anyone else who has had experience with febrile seizures: is there anything a first-responder could have done (ie. CPR, etc)? There are 3 Duggars who could have done something, but maybe they were advised to let her be until the paramedics arrived? That baffled the hell out of me. And made me absolutely LIVID. They are so cavalier about Josie's still fragile health. She was still on O2 at the time (I believe this was early-ish April; the Bateses posted about the trip on their blog, but I'm too lazy to look up the exact dates).

But hey, she can hold a bottle and toddle with assistance, so that means she's okay in Duggarland.

If y'all hadn't figured it out by now, these people make me ill.

PS: Oh, we're on the wrong floor with all the SUITES! What poor editing; FotF most assuredly paid for the SUITES they were shown staying in. The bedroom was in another room; it's not a five-star suite, but it's a suite nonetheless. They can't even argue semantics on that one.

Dumbasses.

PS: My husband's back was turned when he got his first taste of the Duggar Orchestra. He begged the TV to "make it stop" and replied "NO SHIT!" (he's not a guy who swears...he leaves that to me :angelic-green: ). It's the first time he's been riled up enough by these people to shout at the TV like I do during every show. Especially when they totally white-washed the FotF appearance; go to their website, if you can stomach it, and watch what they really said in addition to that sugary sweet sentence or two they showed. It was the "militant" version of their stump speech.

I feel for those kids; in the real world, Princess Jessa (Gretchen Weiners) would just be considered a "home-schooled jungle freak" (Cady Heron). I'm a couple years older than Boob, but I'd love to dye my hair green or pink and show up (wearing a hip frumper) at one of their events just to freak them out.

The Duggar site or the FotF site? Edit: Did anyone notice Jason, the "exchange student" was back again? Where did he come from?

After reading Emma's adoption blog and what happened to Lydia Schatz, I am praying that Qf fundie families do not adopt those poor Catholic orphans.

Jim Bob and Michelle are in Guatemala or where ever to start the adoption process. Frankly, I think she can't have any more children herself, but they won't admit it on tv. So they are going to feed their baby addiction with adoption. Why does that Jim Carey movie where he plays the character whose life is a tv show come to mind?

I only saw a bit of the show, but was shocked as hell they didn't wake up JD. What a damn stupid thing to do. What, taking care of a sick infant is women's work so we don't bother the menfolk?

Guest Anonymous
Jim Bob and Michelle are in Guatemala or where ever to start the adoption process. Frankly, I think she can't have any more children herself, but they won't admit it on tv. So they are going to feed their baby addiction with adoption. Why does that Jim Carey movie where he plays the character whose life is a tv show come to mind?

I only saw a bit of the show, but was shocked as hell they didn't wake up JD. What a damn stupid thing to do. What, taking care of a sick infant is women's work so we don't bother the menfolk?

The movie you have in mind was "The Truman Show". My husband and I don't even like Jim Carrey, but still felt he should have been nominated for an Oscar. He made the role so totally his own that you can't imagine anyone else playing it.

I am glad to know that I wasn't the only one wondering why they didn't wake up JD. Is the no male/female contact rule so strong that the girls wouldn't set foot in the boy's room? That was the only thing that I could come up with.

What was with the mystery lost girl playing with a garbage bag? And Jebus Kripes if the sign says "Don't climb on the Rocks" don't climb on the fucking rocks. And climbing through drain pipes is pretty much a recipe for disaster. I have to wonder if they are intentionally attempting to thin the heard, but sadly I think they are just really that idiotic. And rude.

Also, in the homeschooling scene. Did anyone else catch how bad the grammar of the 'teacher' was. I actually shuddered.

When I called 911 and they said not to move him other than to put him on his side so if he threw up he wouldn't choke (he had drool bubbling out of his mouth). When the EMTs got there they gave him some fever reducer and put an oxygen mask on him. From there, based on how they react to the mask they will either just let you stay home or take you to the ER (this is what we did... basically they shouldfight against the mask but my son just laid there and didn't react to it). Anyway, that's for a full term (9 days late!) perfectly healthy baby, not a premie so I don't know what the routine is for premies.

My guess is that a premie would be taken to the ER, but I don't know for sure. I have a cousin who was born at the same gestational age as Josie, and he's had disabilities as a result. He now works part time for a grocery store and lives with his older brother as his income and the SSI aren't really enough for him to live on his own. I hope for Josie's sake that she doesn't have any severe developmental delays from being born as early as she was, since the Duggars aren't likely going to get therapists for her.

Boob and Mullett pissed off in both episodes. I felt sorry for the girls, because you could tell they were tired and I got the feeling that Jill seemed mad about the situation. If Boob and Mullett are indeed starting the adoption process, I hope something prevents that from happening. They aren't good candidates for adoption because of the buddy system they use. I have heard several large families in which most of the kids are adopted but in those cases, the parents don't use a buddy system like the Duggars do. The kids in some of large adoptive families do have some responsibilities, but they are encouraged to live their own lives when they turn 18.

I hope that Jana wasn't sent to an ATI retraining camp or school. We all know that they exist.

Why did JimBoob and Michelle ignore Jill and Jana when they went to see Josie? I wish that they had said a thank you, girls, you were great taking care of things while we were gone.

Why did JimBoob and Michelle ignore Jill and Jana when they went to see Josie? I wish that they had said a thank you, girls, you were great taking care of things while we were gone.

Do you thank your shoes for protecting your feet? Why would they thank their daughters when they don't consider them to be whole women or adults or worthy of notice?

After reading Emma's adoption blog and what happened to Lydia Schatz, I am praying that Qf fundie families do not adopt those poor Catholic orphans.

That sort of thing happens in less than 1% of adoptions. I'm sure you don't want those Catholic orphans to live in poverty because of a sick 1%. The other 99% could be with families who love them.

Actually, I don't like the Duggars but I'd be fine with them adopting. Those kids in El Salvador will be lucky to make it to adulthood in their orphanage. The mortality rate in such places is pretty high (for kids under 6, especially). A life of Swiffer-mopping the Duggar home is better than what those kids face. Those who do live to adulthood face a life of poverty due to poor education (not that the SODRT is so great, but it's better than a classroom of 50 kids and ten textbooks!)

To answer the questions on febrile seizures(just to be clear, I am a paramedic), they did absolutely the right thing by doing nothing. With any form of a seizure, the biggest concern is moving objects out of the way that could hurt the seizing person, and rolling them on their side if you are able so they don't choke on their own drool or vomit. You absolutely do not want to do CPR on a seizing person, stick anything in their mouth(they aren't really going to choke on their tongue), etc. Just leave them alone and let them seize. If a person stays in a seizure, I will give valium or versed to break it. Other than that, seizures--especially febrile seizures--are self limiting. Scary to bystanders, yes, but a person in a seizure will usually stop on their own. If not, they need medication to stop it.

Even as a paramedic, when I respond to a febrile seizure, we'll give some oxygen and monitor the child on the way in. If they are alert enough to swallow, I usually have the parents give some baby tylenol or motrin to bring the fever down. Other than that, we do nothing, and they will just monitor the baby in the hospital. My own son had a febrile seizure a few months ago and even though it was terrifying for me, even as a medic, they just gave him motrin in the hospital and discharged us once the fever came down.

So for once, the Duggars did exactly the right thing by Josie. They called 911, did as they were trained and instructed to do, and had her evaluated in the ER.

I can't really snark on Jana and Jill, they looked emotional and exhausted. And why wouldn't they be? They are doing a grown woman's job (and then some). By the time they have their own kids, if they have any, there won't be any new experiences for them to have. Everything has been sucked out of them, they look worn and weary.

Ugh, the lack of parenting. This episode showed it more than any other has, IMO. I love it when they had a group hug and one of the little boys (I didn't catch which one) was trying to hand Josie to Jim Bob. He kept telling the little boy "you hang onto her" over and over. :roll:

Anna's outfit would've been cuter with a skinny belt, not wide.

]I can't really snark on Jana and Jill, they looked emotional and exhausted. And why wouldn't they be? They are doing a grown woman's job (and then some). By the time they have their own kids, if they have any, there won't be any new experiences for them to have. Everything has been sucked out of them, they look worn and weary.

Ugh, the lack of parenting. This episode showed it more than any other has, IMO. I love it when they had a group hug and one of the little boys (I didn't catch which one) was trying to hand Josie to Jim Bob. He kept telling the little boy "you hang onto her" over and over. :roll:

Anna's outfit would've been cuter with a skinny belt, not wide.

I felt bad for them and they didn't seem happy being home with all the kids and one of them sound annoyed when she mentioned Boob and Mullett going around El Salvador. I was annoyed in the other episode when they went to Focus in Family in Colorado Springs and that one young girl standing in line said Michelle was "inspirational". I cringed and felt vomiting when I heard that. Some of these dumb ass Duggar fans should pay attention to what they see on the show. Michelle isn't "inspirational" at all.

As someone who is up to her neck in international adoption paperwork, I'd be stunned if the Duggars were allowed to adopt. There are stringent US and country specific guidelines that may prevent them from qualifying.

To give you a couple of examples on the US end: Their documented income must be 125% of the US poverty guidelines for a family of 20 people. (Which for them would be $110,562; $47,037 for a family of 8, plus another $5,775 for each family member). They must be home-study approved by an accredited child placement agency in Arkansas--which will require a certain amount of square footage per person in the family when considering bedroom space, a bed solely for the child that they are seeking to adopt, etc.) That's just the tip of the iceberg on the US end.

And even if they were approved by their HS agency and USCIS, there are regulations set in place by individual countries (and regions in those countries). The country that we are adopting from averages accepting families with 0-7 children already at home. Some of the more "liberal" countries accept families of up to 12. I've never heard of a country accepting a family as large as the Duggars.

Just some food for thought...I posted about my international adoption on the old FJ on Yuku, but have chosen a more anonymous username here on the new board.

This episode really pissed me off. First, they go on about how much they love the experience of raising their kids every second of the day. No daycare because you'll miss out on your kids growing up. Then it's no public school because you'll miss out on your kids growing up. I mean, Michelle made such a big deal about homeschooling because she wanted to be there for every minor event. But traveling overnight and leaving your kids? Somehow, that's perfectly fine. It doesn't make any sense! Daycare or public school are apparently evil even though you generally see your kids on a daily basis, but traveling overnight and abandoning them is perfectly fine? It's so hypocritical. At least when I went to daycare or public school I knew that I'd see my parents later that day. When my dad traveled for work, it was really hard on me. I'd take daycare over long-term travel any day.

That sort of thing happens in less than 1% of adoptions. I'm sure you don't want those Catholic orphans to live in poverty because of a sick 1%. The other 99% could be with families who love them.

Actually, I don't like the Duggars but I'd be fine with them adopting. Those kids in El Salvador will be lucky to make it to adulthood in their orphanage. The mortality rate in such places is pretty high (for kids under 6, especially). A life of Swiffer-mopping the Duggar home is better than what those kids face. Those who do live to adulthood face a life of poverty due to poor education (not that the SODRT is so great, but it's better than a classroom of 50 kids and ten textbooks!)

Can't. Resist. Feeding. Troll.

If your adoption comes across as rescuing a puppy, you're doing it wrong. I'm not against international adoption in all cases, but it's bad logic like this that makes me suspicious of it in most cases. If you actually want to help impoverished kids, you should do it by giving your time and money to build up the resources they have. And no, going there to hand out Bible tracts and get publicity doesn't count.

Even the kids in poor orphanages aren't like pets that you can adopt. They aren't just existing in a void. They have friends, family, and their own language and customs. It doesn't do them much good to completely remove them from everything they know, plop them into a different world with a different language and no attempt at cultural sensitivity, and then on top of that expecting them to be grateful to their White Rescuers for taking them out of their savage heathen world. Anyone who can't see how condescending and arrogant this is has no business adopting at all. The best thing for those orphans is the keep them in their home and make that life better for them.

When this episode is posted on Amazon --which is how my son and I watch 19 Kids & Counting since we don't have cable or satellite-- I'll have to check this out..I have a feeling I'm going to be fuming as I watch it, based on what I've read here. Though I might have to try that "ice cream in a bag" trick with my son, since I'm trying to find different projects to do at home with him.

so the duggar family is adopting an orphan with ethnic origins?

i'm betting they name (or "nickname") the child either juanita or jose. or they might take the plunge and name him jesus.

yeah, maybe jesus duggar IS coming!

i wonder what type of guatemalan recipes you can make out of tater tots?

Can't. Resist. Feeding. Troll.

If your adoption comes across as rescuing a puppy, you're doing it wrong. I'm not against international adoption in all cases, but it's bad logic like this that makes me suspicious of it in most cases. If you actually want to help impoverished kids, you should do it by giving your time and money to build up the resources they have. And no, going there to hand out Bible tracts and get publicity doesn't count.

Even the kids in poor orphanages aren't like pets that you can adopt. They aren't just existing in a void. They have friends, family, and their own language and customs. It doesn't do them much good to completely remove them from everything they know, plop them into a different world with a different language and no attempt at cultural sensitivity, and then on top of that expecting them to be grateful to their White Rescuers for taking them out of their savage heathen world. Anyone who can't see how condescending and arrogant this is has no business adopting at all. The best thing for those orphans is the keep them in their home and make that life better for them.

This sentiment exactly, BananaCat. I wish more people understood this. Children should be adopted because they are wanted and loved for exactly who they are, not out of some twisted sense of obligation!

This sentiment exactly, BananaCat. I wish more people understood this. Children should be adopted because they are wanted and loved for exactly who they are, not out of some twisted sense of obligation!

THAT THAT THAT!!!!!!!!!

And, since they have done so many missions trips to El Salvador I would assume it's just another trip - no babies coming back. :)

what bothered me most about this episode is when Michelle and Jim bob got off the plane and rushed to the hospital they didnt even acknowledge Jana. I would be so hurt if my parents did that to me and I cant imagine doing that to my own child.

I was surprised tha tthey left Josie alone. It isn't that a mother or father can't take a vacation but most parents wouldn't leave a fragile baby alone. The problem is that they have so many children of such varying ages that being a little baby is not special in their family. Does that make sense?

Most of us would realize that Josie won't stay so small forever and not mind waiting until she is older to leave her.

JIm Bob's hair looks much better. Maybe he will stop destroying the ozone layer with hairspray

This was the first Duggar episode I've watched in a while. I had two preemies and I never left them overnight. In fact it wasn't until they were about four or five that they started staying overnight at Grandmas two blocks away. They didn't go to daycare or preschool and I quit my teaching job when my one preemie ended up back in the hospital because I had brought some germs home and frequent hand washing didn't spare my son pneumonia. I was mad. My husband who can't stand the show came in from the other room to grumble and growl at the tv.

On the SODRT--bible verse hand motions, really? That was taking over school? May I just say it drove me crazy to hear them say "Josie's doing good." No "Josie is doing well." Maybe I'm too much of a stickler, since many people would use good in this context.

Archived