IGNORED

double mastectomy drives MRA nuts

merrily

I'm aware of that. What I left unsaid was that my mother got an aggressive form of breast cancer before she was 40 and her mother died of ovarian cancer before I was born. My doctors have recommended annual screening beginning when I'm 30 and consulting with a geneticist if/when I'm interested. Thus my consideration of the test.

Yes, you would be a candidate for the testing, and your health plan would probably pay for it. In my health plan only a genetic counselor can order the testing. I thought my oncologist could. I qualified because I had both ocular melanoma and breast cancer. OM is a rare orphan cancer but when it is seen along with breast cancer it is an indication of BRCA1 or 2. I imagine if someone didn't qualify based on family history or one's own history you could still get it done if you paid for it. But it is very expensive.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ladyblue, I just reread the threads and I think we're talking about the same people. Amy and Jessica? Jessica declined a lumpectomy and thought the tumor breaking through was a good sign?

I was never sure of their real names, although I think I remember one being Amy. From your other description, I was pretty sure it was the same ones, though. I often wonder how their kids are doing, especially the youngest who wasn't even 4 months yet when his mom died.

From reading articles today, it seems all provincial plans in Canada will cover the testing if you have a family history and if you have the gene, will cover surgery and restoration if you choose to have a mastectomy.

Actually, I believe there are a number of IDed breast cancer genes that do not all of cause early-onset cancer. Plus, IDing of a gene is more likely with early-onset or really bad survivability, so there may be plenty more late-onset hereditary breast cancers out there. A strong family history of breast cancer even at a later age does mean an increased calculated risk; it's just a much smaller increase.

Since BRCA1 or 2 mutations are associated with incredibly high risk of cancer (usually >50%), early-onset, and treatment-resistance, they cause more cancers and deaths in their carrier populations, are generally the only ones people consider prophylactic mastectomies and hysterectomies for, and the only ones you really hear about.

Since BRCA1 or 2 mutations are associated with incredibly high risk of cancer (usually >50%), early-onset, and treatment-resistance, they cause more cancers and deaths in their carrier populations, are generally the only ones people consider prophylactic mastectomies and hysterectomies for, and the only ones you really hear about.

There's no reason to do a hysterectomy for BRCA 1 or 2. They often do remove the ovaries since the risk of ovarian cancer is higher. I know several women with BRCA 1 or 2 who have had their ovaries removed, none have had their uterus removed.

Men can get breast cancer too. It's important to check out the male side of the family for any possible cases. I heard of a woman this morning who's mother and father both had mastectomies and her and her siblings were at high risk of breast cancer too.

I was never sure of their real names, although I think I remember one being Amy. From your other description, I was pretty sure it was the same ones, though. I often wonder how their kids are doing, especially the youngest who wasn't even 4 months yet when his mom died.

From reading articles today, it seems all provincial plans in Canada will cover the testing if you have a family history and if you have the gene, will cover surgery and restoration if you choose to have a mastectomy.

Kundalinimama and mightymama. Kundalini/Jessica was where I realised Mothering wasn't benignly negligent but full-on toxic. I got a severe warning after posting to her - a very carefully crunchy appeal to her mothering instincts to have the goddam lumpectomy. Then I realised maybe there were other sane people and they were being censored too. Hopefully, anyway.

Kundalinimama and mightymama. Kundalini/Jessica was where I realised Mothering wasn't benignly negligent but full-on toxic. I got a severe warning after posting to her - a very carefully crunchy appeal to her mothering instincts to have the goddam lumpectomy. Then I realised maybe there were other sane people and they were being censored too. Hopefully, anyway.

Oh, I remember that. It was so sad. :cry:

Men's Rights Activist?! WTF?! I can't even get past this. Don't teh menz hog all the privileges and rights on this planet? Our uteri, our eggs, now our boobs? What's next, our digestive *tracts?* dammit

I was floored by some of the comments following the article in MSNBC about Angelina's mastectomy. First of all, what is with the not-so-subtle victim shaming of women with breast cancer? If only women would ______(insert favorite self-congratulatory health delusion here, ie: become vegan, reduce stress, do more self-exams, improve their spiritual health, etc) they would not get breast cancer. Sure, you will be healthier if you take good care of yourself but cancer strikes non-stressed, vegan, bible believers too. How do people who spout this nonsense explain cancer in young children? In nuns?

What if the headline about Angelina had instead read, " Actress suffering from stage 4 breast cancer after refusing preventative mastectomy." Wouldn't the comments be filled with the same people saying what a selfish Hollywood idiot she was for choosing her breasts over her chances for staying alive to take care of her children? Of course they would. I have a sick feeling that these people would enjoy seeing her sick and ill from treatment.

If only women would ______(insert favorite self-congratulatory health delusion here, ie: become vegan, reduce stress, do more self-exams, improve their spiritual health, etc) they would not get breast cancer. Sure, you will be healthier if you take good care of yourself but cancer strikes non-stressed, vegan, bible believers too.

"Dear boy in outer space, don't tell me what to do."

MRA asses think they are the victims - they seem to generally be white, too. So racism, sexism - it is all about the men. ManBoobz is a blog that covers these tools, and this reaction doesn't surprise me at all.

I'd never consider this operation even if I carried the specific gene, but it's HER decision, and random people on the internet have no business judging it.

I was floored by some of the comments following the article in MSNBC about Angelina's mastectomy. First of all, what is with the not-so-subtle victim shaming of women with breast cancer? If only women would ______(insert favorite self-congratulatory health delusion here, ie: become vegan, reduce stress, do more self-exams, improve their spiritual health, etc) they would not get breast cancer. Sure, you will be healthier if you take good care of yourself but cancer strikes non-stressed, vegan, bible believers too. How do people who spout this nonsense explain cancer in young children? In nuns?

What if the headline about Angelina had instead read, " Actress suffering from stage 4 breast cancer after refusing preventative mastectomy." Wouldn't the comments be filled with the same people saying what a selfish Hollywood idiot she was for choosing her breasts over her chances for staying alive to take care of her children? Of course they would. I have a sick feeling that these people would enjoy seeing her sick and ill from treatment.

So, there used to be this woman on a crunchy mothering board who delighted in telling everyone how she was perfect, everyone else was crap, this is The One Right Way to do everything, you know the drill. Well, she went from being one of the most frequent posters to posting infrequently on the only pet topic which was not parenting related and then stopped.

It turns out that the drop in posts telling the world she had the answer to everything coincided with her child being diagnosed with a serious chronic health condition which explained quite a lot of the behaviours which the mother had been boasting were signs of a well-parented child. I can't have schadenfreude when a child's health is involved, but HA! Suck it, lady.

MRA asses think they are the victims - they seem to generally be white, too. So racism, sexism - it is all about the men. ManBoobz is a blog that covers these tools, and this reaction doesn't surprise me at all.

It is always, always the offenders that whine and moan the loudest. I've noticed it with children, adults, so people in general, but also with politicians, celebrities, churches etc. It is always the oppressors and the offenders that pretend to be the victim. It is always them that look for sympathy and complain about bein' hurt n shit. The louder they whine the guiltier they are.

Regina Brett, columnist for the Plain Dealer (you might recognize her name as the "90 year old" author of the 50 Life Lessons meme - she's not 90, she's only in her 50s). Anyway, she is a breast cancer survivor, her family has a history of it, and she wrote a series of columns a few years ago about her daughter undergoing this testing and having a double mastectomy as a result of the findings. If anyone wants to read it, it can be found here: http://www.cleveland.com/brett/blog/ind ... intro.html

Here's the thing - if Angelina had done nothing and then developed cancer - as I believe she had an 80% chance of doing - she may well have had to have a breast (or both) removed anyway. Would these MRArseholes be saying the same thing then? Or would that be OK because illness would put her in her rightfully vulnerable place as a female?

I think she's made a fucking brave decision, and if - God forbid - I am ever faced with a similar dilemma, I have the balls to take such extreme preventative measures.

Judgy Bitch has written her most offensive post ever on this topic. Essentially, she says that Angelina is stupid and that most cancers are caused by environmental factors and that Angelina Jolie has done this to get attention and promote feminism.

Sarah's Daughter has a similar post. Lori Alexander comments on it and suggests that Angelina could have gotten similar results by eating vegetables. No, I'm not kidding. Go to the Sarah's Daughter blog to check it out.

My aunt who actually is a nun and eats an almost-no-sugar (she's type 1 diabetic), mostly vegetarian and mostly organic diet (mostly food the convent produces)......got breast cancer. Who'da thunk. So yes, the veganism-cures-cancer people irritate the hell out of me.

Oh right, the next step after burning your bra is to have your mammary glands replaced with silicone.

My aunt who actually is a nun and eats an almost-no-sugar (she's type 1 diabetic), mostly vegetarian and mostly organic diet (mostly food the convent produces)......got breast cancer. Who'da thunk. So yes, the veganism-cures-cancer people irritate the hell out of me.

Well, the more children you have, the younger you have them and the longer you breastfeed them - these all lower your risks of breast cancer.

This is just a side note and of course anyone can get cancer!!!

Well, the more children you have, the younger you have them and the longer you breastfeed them - these all lower your risks of breast cancer.

That is true only for the estrogen/progesterone positive breast cancer. It isn't true for the genetic types of breast cancer.

Having a baby before 30 and long breastfeeding duration are not protective in cases where women are positive for BRCA mutations. Basically the only risk reduction for BRCA-positive women is very frequent screening, or prophylactic surgery. Personally I'd probably go for the surgery.

For the 99% of us without the mutations, bearing children younger and having more of them, and breastfeeding have a modest risk reduction. It's not a huge difference but every little bit helps.

I am also getting really annoyed with people equating radical bilateral mastectomy (combined with reconstructive surgery) with getting breast implants. One of these is not like the other.

One thing that people do not understand is that you get your genetic makeup from both sides (Mom and Dad). We are now entering the third generation of women who are now talking about Women related cancer. So instead of saying Aunt Millie died from a women issue we are now talking about the actually cause of her death, we have come a long way. Thank you Betty Ford :D So everyone please talk to both sides about early death of female relatives, it might save your life. FYI breeding will not reduce your chances of breast cancer, it is genetic and enviromental.

My aunt had her first child just after she turned 19. She got breast cancer at 49. My mum had me 2 days after she turned 31 and hasn't *touch wood* had breast cancer and she turns 60 this year.

Archived