IGNORED

double mastectomy drives MRA nuts

merrily

Is your risk more increased if it's on your mother's side or your father's side? I'm not quite sure. I mean, everyone seems to say it's on your mother's you need to worry about, I've seldom seen any thing else, unless I look specifically for it.

It can be on either side. Men with the gene get breast cancer. 1% of breast cancer occurs in men, whose mortality rate is higher than women with the same cell type and stage. Richard Roundtree had breast cancer in 1993, he had a bilateral mastectomy and chemotherapy.

A family can have several members with breast cancer without it being the genetic type. Estrogen/progesterone positive breast cancer is very common so it's not unusual for it to occur in more than one family member. It is most often not a genetic type of cancer. Most BRCA1 and 2 carriers get estrogen/progesterone negative breast cancer and the gene is most common in Ashkenazi Jews. I thought it was BRCA 2 that is also associated with ovarian cancer, someone above mention BRCA 1. I have BRCA 1 and have had breast cancer twice, with a bilateral mastectomy the second time, no reconstruction.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sending nothing but love and positive karma Angelina Jolie's way. She made a very difficult and brave decision, and one sounds that is right for her. I wish her and her lovely family nothing but the best.

I honestly love my boobs, they're by far my favorite feature and I dress them up every day. I've made clothing purchase decisions based solely on whether my boobs look their best in a given garment. That said, if I tested positive for BRCA, I'd have a double mastectomy ASAP. It's just not worth the risk! They're boobs. It absolutely astonishes me - in that I-want-to-stab-people kind of way - that these assholes seem to think boobs are THAT important! Do they think the same about people who have their crooked/broken teeth removed and replaced with perfect fake ones? Wtf. AKHSFLSKDFH HATE :evil:

My mom spoke to some breast cancer expert several years back about whether she & I should get tested - her mother and her maternal grandmother both had breast cancer. The expert's verdict was no, but now I'm seriously considering getting tested anyway.

Angelina is honestly my hero right now, and I've always been staunchly Team Jen :P

I can see why she did her breasts and not her ovaries as of yet. You don't need breasts. At all. You can nurse with them, but it's not necessary in this day and age. Ovaries, on the other hand, actually do things for you, and removing them is uncomfortable at best and puts you at risk for a lot of health problems. Those health problems aren't life threatening like ovarian cancer, but I'd be very reluctant to have an oophorectomy, whereas I'd be proactive about a double mascetomy in the same circumstances.

Actually, having your ovaries out is not very painful at all. They do it laproscopically these days. Mastectomy, though, is a big operation.

Why do neckbeards think that one of the most beautiful actresses in the world had her breasts removed has anything to do with them? Brad Pitt is the only one who is going to be seeing that and I'm sure they will look great once she is finished with the procedure.

The only reason there is an MRA is because a bunch of creeps think its their right to get a date and blame women for not being interested in them.

It can be on either side. Men with the gene get breast cancer. 1% of breast cancer occurs in men, whose mortality rate is higher than women with the same cell type and stage. Richard Roundtree had breast cancer in 1993, he had a bilateral mastectomy and chemotherapy.

A family can have several members with breast cancer without it being the genetic type. Estrogen/progesterone positive breast cancer is very common so it's not unusual for it to occur in more than one family member. It is most often not a genetic type of cancer. Most BRCA1 and 2 carriers get estrogen/progesterone negative breast cancer and the gene is most common in Ashkenazi Jews. I thought it was BRCA 2 that is also associated with ovarian cancer, someone above mention BRCA 1. I have BRCA 1 and have had breast cancer twice, with a bilateral mastectomy the second time, no reconstruction.

It's surprising how many relatives can have it without increasing your risk. Don't quote me, but it's possibly anyone over 50 doesn't count?

So disgusting, sadly, not surprising. She made a difficult decision to decrease her chance of getting cancer, and these assholes think it is their place to make negative comments? I don't understand, I really don't.

Actually, having your ovaries out is not very painful at all. They do it laproscopically these days. Mastectomy, though, is a big operation.

I think it's more the hormones that ovaries produce rather than the actual surgery that would make someone think twice about it. Mastectomy might have more pain and longer recovery, but ovaries do more for the body than breasts do.

I have some people on my fb saying she just should have cut sugar and non-organic food out of her diet :roll:

One of our staff members carries the BRCA gene. She had the double mastectomy. It was not controversial or a debatable issue for her. I'm stunned there are people out there criticizing the medical decisions of the women who have to go through this.

How anyone would think there is a choice between an 87% chance of breast cancer and keeping your breasts is beyond me. Why would ANYONE take that risk just to keep boobs? Besides, she had reconstructive surgery so she probably looks pretty much the same. Presumably being around for her children's futures and not leaving them motherless is more important to her than BOOBS.

I am very glad that she came out with the surgery, if only to show that she's no less sexy than she was before. And I'm also very glad she was able to have the surgery done without the media waiting outside the hospital and reporting on her every movement (I haven't read about it prior to her announcement so I'm assuming they were able to keep a lid on it).

Also, the only person seeing her actual boobs is presumably her husband (does she do nudity in movies? Unlike Kate Winslet whose boobs are in everything I can't recall ever seeing hers) and if he's cool with it (ya know, because he'd probably like his wife and the mother of his children to be around for the future) then why does anyone else even care??? Fake boobs, stuffed boobs, real boobs, pushed up boobs... they all look relatively the same through clothes.

It's surprising how many relatives can have it without increasing your risk. Don't quote me, but it's possibly anyone over 50 doesn't count?

Genetic breast cancer tends to occur pre-menopause. It's your mother, grandmother, sisters that are most important. If any of them had breast cancer in their 20's 30's or early 40's the risk of it being genetic is higher. If you are Ashkenazi Jewish your risk is higher. Aunts count but not as much as mothers, grandmothers, sisters. Cousins don't count in risk determination. If your father, grandfather, or brother have breast cancer at any age that is a big risk factor.

If you have lots of relatives who had breast cancer in their 50's, 60's, 70's that doesn't increase your risk. The risk goes up with age. Breast cancer awareness tends to use photos of young breast cancer patients but 80% of breast cancer occurs in older women. By their 80's lots of women have had breast cancer.

I recommend that ALL women and teens have their own copy of The Breast Book by Dr. Susan Love. It will tell you everything you need to know about the breast, not just breast cancer.

You can also get cancer in the breast that isn't breast cancer. Melanoma, both skin and eye, can spread to the breast, as can other cancers.

Thanks for that info, Nurse Nell. Thanks to Angelina and a recent NYTimes piece (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/magaz ... d=all&_r=0 if anyone is interested) I've been wondering if I should get tested. However, my (known) family history is my birth mother had cancer a couple years ago and her sister died from it. They were both in their late 50's/early 60's, so it seems unlikely I have the BRCA genes.

I sadly knew 2 sisters who must have, although it was before testing. They died within a year of each other. One had "recovered", but several months after sister died, and just a couple months after her 2nd baby was born, they found it had metastasized. That's the real killer with breast cancer, although somehow all the "awareness" programs never get around to pointing that out and virtually no research money goes to it.

I think we should take up a collection for the MRA. a industrial size drum of lube with hygienic auto dispenser a case of rubber gloves and a case of wipes and tell them to go fuck themselves. what a bunch of stupid looser's.

I'll be considering genetics testing for breast cancer risk in the next few years and this documentary really changed my views on what I'd do if I turn out to have the gene - I'd go for the full mastectomy and reconstruction with little question now. It's free until tomorrow to watch online: http://www.pbs.org/pov/inthefamily/#.UZLX6LWG0hU

Genetic breast cancer tends to occur pre-menopause. It's your mother, grandmother, sisters that are most important. If any of them had breast cancer in their 20's 30's or early 40's the risk of it being genetic is higher. If you are Ashkenazi Jewish your risk is higher. Aunts count but not as much as mothers, grandmothers, sisters. Cousins don't count in risk determination. If your father, grandfather, or brother have breast cancer at any age that is a big risk factor.

If you have lots of relatives who had breast cancer in their 50's, 60's, 70's that doesn't increase your risk. The risk goes up with age. Breast cancer awareness tends to use photos of young breast cancer patients but 80% of breast cancer occurs in older women. By their 80's lots of women have had breast cancer.

I recommend that ALL women and teens have their own copy of The Breast Book by Dr. Susan Love. It will tell you everything you need to know about the breast, not just breast cancer.

You can also get cancer in the breast that isn't breast cancer. Melanoma, both skin and eye, can spread to the breast, as can other cancers.

That makes sense, I had five cousins, all but one over 50, and they were totally unconcerned. It was calming, but counter-intuitive.

Thanks for that info, Nurse Nell. Thanks to Angelina and a recent NYTimes piece (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/magaz ... d=all&_r=0 if anyone is interested) I've been wondering if I should get tested. However, my (known) family history is my birth mother had cancer a couple years ago and her sister died from it. They were both in their late 50's/early 60's, so it seems unlikely I have the BRCA genes.

I sadly knew 2 sisters who must have, although it was before testing. They died within a year of each other. One had "recovered", but several months after sister died, and just a couple months after her 2nd baby was born, they found it had metastasized. That's the real killer with breast cancer, although somehow all the "awareness" programs never get around to pointing that out and virtually no research money goes to it.

There were sisters on a message board a few years ago, both with very young children. Sadly one went crazy and refused treatment in favor of walnut tannin. If she'd been treated maybe her kids would have had a mother for a few months longer.

I read an article saying that she wanted to go through all the complex breast surgeries and recover from those before tackling the ovaries. Sounds sensible.

She can probably get computer generation to appease teh menz in all her movies, for heaven's sake, if there's any difference, which sounds unlikely.

I knew a woman thirty years ago that had a prophylactic double mastectomy. She was a pretty traditional Catholic, but she also was a devoted yoga practitioner. Her husband of many years was an atheist. I think what she did was pretty amazing.

Ladyblue, I just reread the threads and I think we're talking about the same people. Amy and Jessica? Jessica declined a lumpectomy and thought the tumor breaking through was a good sign?

I'll be considering genetics testing for breast cancer risk in the next few years and this documentary really changed my views on what I'd do if I turn out to have the gene - I'd go for the full mastectomy and reconstruction with little question now. It's free until tomorrow to watch online: http://www.pbs.org/pov/inthefamily/#.UZLX6LWG0hU

The test is only advisable for women with a strong family history.

It's not common. Less than 1% of women have a BRCA mutation and 95% of breast cancers are not related to gene mutation.

The test is only advisable for women with a strong family history.

It's not common. Less than 1% of women have a BRCA mutation and 95% of breast cancers are not related to gene mutation.

I'm aware of that. What I left unsaid was that my mother got an aggressive form of breast cancer before she was 40 and her mother died of ovarian cancer before I was born. My doctors have recommended annual screening beginning when I'm 30 and consulting with a geneticist if/when I'm interested. Thus my consideration of the test.

I'm aware of that. What I left unsaid was that my mother got an aggressive form of breast cancer before she was 40 and her mother died of ovarian cancer before I was born. My doctors have recommended annual screening beginning when I'm 30 and consulting with a geneticist if/when I'm interested. Thus my consideration of the test.

Understood.

But I've heard several women today say they wanted to be tested because a grandmother had breast cancer in her 60's or because two of ten aunts were diagnosed at some point.

I'm glad Jolie has raised awareness about the mutations, but I think statistical perspective is important for those who don't meet the criteria. 99% of women don't have the mutation, and that fact has little bearing on whether one is going to develop breast cancer or not.

Understood.

But I've heard several women today say they wanted to be tested because a grandmother had breast cancer in her 60's or because two of ten aunts were diagnosed at some point.

I'm glad Jolie has raised awareness about the mutations, but I think statistical perspective is important for those who don't meet the criteria. 99% of women don't have the mutation, and that fact has little bearing on whether one is going to develop breast cancer or not.

I understand the frustration. I've had people talk about being scared of breast cancer because their grandmothers had it and I'm just like . . . I could face it pretty much at any point now. Big difference. Both scary, but one involves the possibility of leaving young children behind.

Anyway I was under the impression that genetic counselors would be pretty straightforward about risks based on family histories, though I'm sure there are some who had out the tests like candy.

Archived