IGNORED

double mastectomy drives MRA nuts

merrily

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shouldn't have read those comments. Some were awful. A p.r. stunt? Uh, yeah, sure, whatever.

ETA: I love (not) the one that said with her money she could have been tested monthly. Apparently this person doesn't quite understand the difference between prevention and treatment.

Ah well I'll settle on trolls but the only people who seem to care that much about women's breasts (rather than their health) seemed to be the crazy mens' rights activists.

It's depressing how many posters think it's more important to hang onto breasts (even if your doctor and scientific tests say you have over an 80% chance of developing breast cancer), than to take preventive action designed to extend your life. Besides, she had reconstructive surgery, so apparently she still has breasts - they just aren't the ones she was born with.

That had to have been a difficult decision. Any surgery has its risks and complications, not to mention recovery time, emotional issues to be dealt with, etc. She clearly loves her children so much that she will do whatever it takes to be there for them as long as possible. She's a good mother.

Ignorant bastards...

I totally understand her choice, and could see myself making a similar one. There is a very high rate of cancer in my family, and I am very interested in having genetic tests run. I don't know if my insurance would cover it, but if it would, I'd do it in a heartbeat. And honestly? If I had the gene(s) I would have surgery. My aunt recently died of breast cancer. My grandmother (paternal) died of cancer. My grandmother (maternal) was a cancer survivor. It's not something I want to play with.

I am having some health problems right now, and unfortunately they are having a hard time getting to the bottom of it. Part of my problem is that I ignored my health for too long. Now I am terrified waiting for them to find out what the hell is wrong with me. When your doctor tells you he needs 3 days to research it is not a pleasant feeling. Needless to say I am now a believer in being proactive. Screw these idiots who are more worried about a woman's breasts than her life.

My grandmother (dad's side) was diagnosed with breast cancer and she had part of her breasts removed. No cases of breast cancer on my mum's side, but it's always better to err on the side of caution.

Good for Angelina Jolie for making the choice to a) do this thing to improve her health and b) be public about it. That's pretty darn courageous. Anyone who's against her can suck it - she has done what's best for her and for her family, and that's what counts, not whether she might have imperfections on her pretty boobies.

It's a scary feeling to have any health issues and not be able to get to the root of them. About 9 months ago, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I also had borderline high cholesterol. Since that time, I have modified my diet and started an exercise regiment and have lost 28 pounds. That's the good news. The bad news is, my cholesterol actually went up 8 points. I was borderline, and am now high-range. I just got done having a battery of intermediate cardio tests to see if they can identify a genetic component to my cholesterol issues.

I also had the genetic test done for breast cancer, as three aunts have been through it (one passed away last year). I'm still waiting on the results.

Koala, I understand how hard that can be. I also ignored certain health issues of my own for too long, and had no business doing so, knowing that my family has a hereditary heart condition. I hope everything works out okay and that you will be healthy and happy.

Men's Rights Activist.

Oh well. They can fuck off. Twats.

Both of my grandmothers had single mastectomies in their 70s. My mom had a lumpectomy in her 50s. All had radiation treatment as well. I'd like to get the genetic test done also. I mean, "the girls" and I have had good times and I breastfed my only child for the first 3 years of his life. (IKR?) If my breasts have to go in order to protect my life, then so be it. Fuck the whiny, shallow MRAs. I'm glad that most women see right through their assclownery.

Another disease we've dealt with in my family has been Alzheimers Disease. It took the life of my father's mother and then later the life of my mom. My sisters and I are on the fence on getting testing to see if we're genetically predisposed to getting it. Even if we do have the gene, there's still no way to prevent Alzheimers. You can treat it early to slow the progress in the early stages a bit, but the end result is still losing your memory, losing autonomy, and eventually losing control of bodily functions. I just don't know if having knowledge that I possess that gene will be a positive in any way. Death is still inevitable from the disease.

Koala - I'm sorry you're having a tough time finding a diagnosis and the best treatment for your health issues. All, I can say is be a persistent "asshole" if you aren't getting the help you need. Sending good vibes, prayers, and thoughts your way.

It's a scary feeling to have any health issues and not be able to get to the root of them. About 9 months ago, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I also had borderline high cholesterol. Since that time, I have modified my diet and started an exercise regiment and have lost 28 pounds. That's the good news. The bad news is, my cholesterol actually went up 8 points. I was borderline, and am now high-range. I just got done having a battery of intermediate cardio tests to see if they can identify a genetic component to my cholesterol issues.

I also had the genetic test done for breast cancer, as three aunts have been through it (one passed away last year). I'm still waiting on the results.

Koala, I understand how hard that can be. I also ignored certain health issues of my own for too long, and had no business doing so, knowing that my family has a hereditary heart condition. I hope everything works out okay and that you will be healthy and happy.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Actually pre-diabetes is one of the things they tagged me for as well.

My real fear is that they have found blood in my urine for the past (nearly 3) months. It is at a +1 now and they can not get to the root of it. It is not visible to me...only microscopic. I am scared half to death.

Take good care of yourself. Good luck with your pre-diabetes. Sounds like you are managing it well.

I have a lot of medical issues they can't get to the root of. Fortunately for me, they're not life threatening. They do make my life incredibly uncomfortable, but I can't imagine not being able to get to the bottom of something life threatening. This is why, when I went in for abdominal pain, I was shocked that they actually arrived at a diagnosis. Even though I was terrified of having the surgery (I started to shake uncontrollably when I was told I'd need it), I was also relieved: a diagnosis has been found, and it's curable. This is not something that normally happens. I can relax now, soon as that relaxer medication they're giving me starts to kick in...

One thing this experience has taught me: don't mess around with things. A few weeks ago, I might've thought this was extreme. I am of a different opinion, now. If Angelina Jolie feels that this procedure is the best for her and her family, then it is her right to make that choice and she ought not to be dragged through the mud for it.

One of my cousins did the same thing. She tried to keep it private, but word still got out in the family. I'm still confused by the negative reactions she got. Her body, her breasts, her risk of cancer, her decision. Even my mom was whispering about how having her breasts removed "for no reason" somehow made my cousin less than a woman. Her husband left her a few years later & of course people were saying it was because of the double masectomy. :evil:

I had a breast cancer scare a few months back. Sitting in the waiting room between tests, I decided that if there was any chance of cancer, I wanted the breasts gone. I'd rather be alive than have "a rack," thank you very much.

These people need to realize that the only person in control of Angelina Jolie's body is Angelina Jolie. I think it's quite brave of her to get the surgery and then to come out into the public about it.

Thanks, I'm trying. And you're welcome. I can definitely see why that would be frightening...not sure what exactly your symptoms are, but have you tried 300 mg of grapeseed extract (once daily) along with a cup of hibiscus tea (at least twice daily)?

I have a friend who lived in Mexico who told me about how it - she said people there use hibiscus tea sometimes when they can't afford antibiotics. Along with the grapeseed extract, it's great for getting rid of UTIs, and if it is a more serious problem, it might give you some relief from any painful symptoms. Using the two in tandem wil flush harmful bacteria from the bladder.

I hope the doctors can get you the answers you need soon.

If I was positive for the BRCA 1/2 gene, I would seriously consider the same after my childbearing/nursing days were over. There's still a 5% chance of developing cancer in residual tissue, but that's better than 70 or 80% odds! I wonder if she considered (or had) a prophylactic oophorectomy too. Ovarian cancer is a silent killer (much more deadly than breast cancer) and certain BRCA1 mutations can put a woman at very high risk.

Kara Dioguardi did the same thing plus a full hysterectomy at 38. Had her kid via surrogate after that.

Gutsy women, both of them. And even more so for being so public and open about it. If their honesty and openness prevents even a handful of women from getting cancer then it is worth it. And if it makes twunts think twice about condemning women for doing this, then even better.

We've had a few high profile women (Kylie Minogue for example) in Aus going public about breast cancer and each time the screening rate, and associated diagnosis rate jumps significantly, so clearly it has a positive impact.

Is your risk more increased if it's on your mother's side or your father's side? I'm not quite sure. I mean, everyone seems to say it's on your mother's you need to worry about, I've seldom seen any thing else, unless I look specifically for it.

I agree that it was brave of Angelina Jolie to share her experience... and that it was her decision alone.

My grandfather had breast cancer last year which is a big risk factor and my mom was tested. Luckily she did not have the gene, so my sister and I are not at risk for having it. I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to be tested. I am at risk for secondary cancers anyway because of cancer treatment, so I am getting tons of follow-up anyway and I kind-of thought it wouldn't really change anything for me if I tested positive, besides maybe causing anxiety. I wasn't ready to do anything aggressive until I was older (I'm in my early 20s).

If I was positive for the BRCA 1/2 gene, I would seriously consider the same after my childbearing/nursing days were over. There's still a 5% chance of developing cancer in residual tissue, but that's better than 70 or 80% odds! I wonder if she considered (or had) a prophylactic oophorectomy too. Ovarian cancer is a silent killer (much more deadly than breast cancer) and certain BRCA1 mutations can put a woman at very high risk.

In the artice she says she started with the breasts. I assume that means she'll have an oophorectomy as well, especially since it's so hard to detect ovarian cancer. It's not as simple, though, especially since she can't take HRT.

In the artice she says she started with the breasts. I assume that means she'll have an oophorectomy as well, especially since it's so hard to detect ovarian cancer. It's not as simple, though, especially since she can't take HRT.

I can see why she did her breasts and not her ovaries as of yet. You don't need breasts. At all. You can nurse with them, but it's not necessary in this day and age. Ovaries, on the other hand, actually do things for you, and removing them is uncomfortable at best and puts you at risk for a lot of health problems. Those health problems aren't life threatening like ovarian cancer, but I'd be very reluctant to have an oophorectomy, whereas I'd be proactive about a double mascetomy in the same circumstances.

Oh well. They can fuck off. Twats.

Ha if they had a twat then they would understand it! lol

It seem like they really and truly just dont understand the fear. 80% chance to may be get breast cancer is a lot of percentage risk for me to worry about and I would do the same thing like AJolie. Alive is better than dead, yes? Even with no breasts any more.

The one who says she did it for attention is must be joking.

I would totally do the same thing. One of my closest friends is a breast cancer survivor. She had a single mastectomy 2 years ago after several failed surgeries, and had a reconstruction last year. I honestly had to bite my lip at her decision to keep having surgery after surgery to try to save her breast. Her docs want her to have a hysterectomy as well, but she doesn't want to, so she doesn't plan to do it anytime soon. Again, I bite my lip. I get that it's a huge decision, but I'm so scared for her and I don't get why she isn't! She is most definitely done having children and she is close to 40, so it's not like we're talking about a childless twentysomething here. I think she's too worried about what defines a woman in our patriarchal society and it makes me want to scream. I don't want to lose my friend and have her children lose their mother over something that can be prevented NOW.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Archived