IGNORED

Of Biblical Womenhood, Couponing, & Kool Aid

0 kids n not countin

Part of Betty Sue's (of Biblical Womenhood) latest post:

She's excited about getting 2.5 months of kool aid for 12 bucks? :doh: WTF? That made me LOL. How about saving even more money (& maybe being healthy at the same time) by giving your kids water to drink. :think:

Learning couponing. Bought 2-2 1/2 months worth of cool-aid Friday for $12! That's less than half price:-)

The key to coupons is to;

Know your prices (which takes time but is a lot easier than you would think. After you begin paying attention, it just happens)

Watch the sales.

Save ALL coupons, even for things you won't use.(sometimes you can make money by using them and then just donate the items to a charity)

Combine sales, maufactures coupons, and store coupons and rewards programs

Since all sales run on a 2-4 month cycle, you buy 4 months worth at a time.

In this way, you never pay more than 50% for anything but milk, meat, and fresh produce (and even then, you can often find those on real good deals.) You have to change how you think from weekly shopping/budgets to quarterly (or even yearly!)

The easiest way to know when its time to stock up is to go to sites like http://thekrazycouponlady.com hover on "find my store," and check out the weekly deals at each of your local stores. These ladies do the work each week of matching up the best deals and coupons, even providing links where possible to print the coupons.

I am hoping the next time kool-aid goes on a good sale I will have enough coupons to not spend more than I did this time but still get 4 months instead of 2:-)

Does she really think she's insightful though? All of these little tips have been repeated over and over in every type of media. Many of them are even becoming obsolete because these things are so well-known. Since the Extreme Couponing fad a few years ago, plenty of stores have changed policies to deal with the influx of people doubling up on coupons and sales, or actually making money from buying things.

I don't really get the obsession with couponing. From what I've seen there are people who spend hours searching for and cutting out hundreds of them every week. What is the point of that if you aren't going to use them? I only cut out ones for products that I use. Or are things different in the USA? Do you have to buy the item the coupon is for like you do in the UK or do the stores just take off the coupon value regardless of whether you have bought the item?

I'll save even more money by not buying Kool Aid. My kids don't like it anyway.

I don't really get the obsession with couponing. From what I've seen there are people who spend hours searching for and cutting out hundreds of them every week. What is the point of that if you aren't going to use them? I only cut out ones for products that I use. Or are things different in the USA? Do you have to buy the item the coupon is for like you do in the UK or do the stores just take off the coupon value regardless of whether you have bought the item?

No, they have to buy the item. But the coupon deals in the US, at one time anyway, were so good that some people could actually get hundred or even thousands of dollars worth of groceries and have the store owing them money.

I used to try to do couponing, but it was never worth the time and energy without all the extra bonuses the US gets. Plus, most of what I buy is generic or not things that get coupons, anyway.

Archived