IGNORED

"Lady" Lydia's teacups...

FairyPrincessK

Why on earth did she pack LED tea lights when visiting her mother in Australia?

Why on earth did she pack LED tea lights when visiting her mother in Australia?

Because we don't have them here. Still on the whale oil lamps i'm afraid.

What bothers me the most is how utterly self-centered she is, and yet she doesn't seem to see it. As I understand it, the whole Titus 2 woman mantra advocates the older women who are done raising children to not only teach younger women, but GO OUT OF THE HOUSE AND HELP OTHER PEOPLE. You know, people living in poverty, homeless people, women in shelters who have escaped domestic violence, that kind of thing. Lydia's understanding of Titus 2 is inviting the handful of women she knows over to teach them how to make (ugly, Kindergarten-level quality) homemade cards. She's a middle-aged woman who spends her days playing dress-up and tea party.

What bothers me the most is how utterly self-centered she is, and yet she doesn't seem to see it. As I understand it, the whole Titus 2 woman mantra advocates the older women who are done raising children to not only teach younger women, but GO OUT OF THE HOUSE AND HELP OTHER PEOPLE. You know, people living in poverty, homeless people, women in shelters who have escaped domestic violence, that kind of thing. Lydia's understanding of Titus 2 is inviting the handful of women she knows over to teach them how to make (ugly, Kindergarten-level quality) homemade cards. She's a middle-aged woman who spends her days playing dress-up and tea party.

This is cute when my seven-year-old niece does it. But when a post-menopausal woman does it, it's bat shit insane. Lady Lydia is seriously approaching "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?" territory.

tumblr_mhb570WbWi1rq0l2no1_250.gif

My 9 year old recently got the idea that she wants to start a blog where she sets up various tableaus of her toys and dolls in the woods, in the fields, and on the beach and posts pictures of them. I thought it was an adorable idea.

I pray to Maude she's not still doing this when she's 60 like Lady Lydia and her frippery.

"Lady" Lydia lives separated in her own world, she never interacts with people who would question her. This results in her living in a perpetual state of unconscious incompetence.

Her views are skewed, her handiwork is pitiful, but she will never outgrow this stage and achieve competence because she refuses change, criticism and growth.

Edit: Her lack of growth is so obvious, her teenage "art" looks exactly like the stuff she produces now! I'd be ashamed if I had spent decades on doing something and not improving.

Her example makes me mindful of my own life and the way I spend my time. I do not want to be like her in 30 years! Instead of having produced countless terrible cushions and faux teacups, I want to have taught students the value of critical thinking and have written books on medical ethics that have made an impact. Maybe I should thank her for serving at least as a bad example?

Archived