IGNORED

Judge rules bully can't attend any county school

Chowder Head

http://m.cbsnews.com/fullstory.rbml?cat ... deofeed=37

Did not break link because its news. A judge in Flordia rules that a bully with a history of viloent attacks could not attend any of the districts schools. However, the schools superintendent wants the girl to comeback, even after she fractured another girl's skull and video taped it. But its been over ruled and could be back at the same school tomorrow. :angry-banghead:

lets hope the stupid bully was scared straight. Hopefully she goes some decent punishment and some type of counseling so this is not a life long thing.

But having her at school is going to be very stressful for the poor girl she attacked. Since this was such a planned thing the poor girl must feel everyone is going to hate her.

I think she needs to be in juvie, she has suspended her right to a free public school education IMO. The entire incident was premeditated and luckily her victim didn't die.

If she attacked an adult, she would be serving some sort of sentence. Yes, everyone deserves and education but kids deserve a safe place to be educated. The bully should either be at an alternative school, put in juvenile detention or given some sort of home study program.

The victims should sue the hell out of the school district

As disgusted as I am at the perpetrator of this crime (who deserves no mercy IMO--she knew exactly what she was doing), I'm equally if not more disgusted and disturbed by those who aided and abetted her by DOING NOTHING to help the victim! Is this how people get their kicks these days--with a modern day version of gladiators in the Coliseum? It makes me sick to my stomach.

I wonder if the superintendent wants her back in district for financial reasons. I'm not familiar with Florida education law nor am I familiar with this particular situation, but here in New York districts are usually resistant to out of district placements for special education students because the district has to foot the bill. I'm thinking that if the FL district has to pay for this student's place in a therapeutic school then they probably aren't eager to do so.

I wouldn't want this kid in school with my kid. Everyone has the right to be safe at school. This child is making the school unsafe for everyone else.

I wonder if the superintendent wants her back in district for financial reasons. I'm not familiar with Florida education law nor am I familiar with this particular situation, but here in New York districts are usually resistant to out of district placements for special education students because the district has to foot the bill. I'm thinking that if the FL district has to pay for this student's place in a therapeutic school then they probably aren't eager to do so.

I'm not familiar with this story or Florida educational policies, but I would also imagine that has a lot to do with it. Therapeutic day schools are some serious $$$. My parents were told by the district that my sister would be better off in a therapeutic school, but that they would not pay for it.

That link doesn't work on my computer.

I don't think a super can force someone into homeschooling. That child should either be sent to an alternative school, or put in in-house detention.

What exactly happened? Or is there some sort of link with words?

As disgusted as I am at the perpetrator of this crime (who deserves no mercy IMO--she knew exactly what she was doing), I'm equally if not more disgusted and disturbed by those who aided and abetted her by DOING NOTHING to help the victim! Is this how people get their kicks these days--with a modern day version of gladiators in the Coliseum? It makes me sick to my stomach.

No kidding! My jaw dropped when I read that as many as 30 other kids watched and videotaped while a girl's skull was repeatedly bashed. What in the ever-loving hell??

This kid absolutely has no right to be back in school. Why isn't she in juvie anyway? I would think the severity of the beating could easily make this attempted murder. The parents of every single child in this school need to band together and let the superintendent and school board know they won't have it.

I wouldn't want this girl in juvenile detention because that leads to more re-offending more often than not, rehabilitation is key. She needs some serious counselling. Also, not that every child like this comes from a bad home, but if there is a bad home here then foster care might be appropriate.

Therapeutic school is needed in most situations like this. My brother, my BFF, and two of my cousins have taught at therapeutic schools, and they're costly but can be helpful.

If the super is trying to save the district money out of fear of the therapeutic school costs, that is penny wise and pound foolish. The potential costs to the system if this child doesn't get serious help (lawsuits from past and future victims, which would make the district's liability insurance skyrocket) are so much higher. Even setting aside that it would be the ethically right and compassionate thing to do, finding a therapeutic school for the child would be the wisest thing to do in terms of financial strategy.

It sounds like this girl might be able to go back to school soon because there is an appeal in progress. This absolutely disgusts me, but it did get me thinking. Would a restraining/protection order help in this situation? With a legal order to stay a certain distance away, would that prevent the perpetrator from returning to the same school as her victim? It's not a perfect solution, as she would be in a different school with other students, but it would at least keep her away from the victim until the appeal is (hopefully) struck down.

I don't know about laws in Florida but in the school district where I work, students who are charged with assault would be spending some quality time in county juvenile detention while awaiting court proceedings. If convicted, the student goes to one of the state's youth detention centers to serve their sentence. In my district, students who complete their sentences at youth detention sometimes reenter the local school system - but at an alternative school setting.

If the student was allowed to remain in the parent's custody while awaiting court proceedings, our district would provide homebound instruction - which involves meeting with a certified teacher a couple of hours/week at the home or public library. However, this sounds like such a vicious assault, I would expect that the student would remain in the local juvenile detention center and get their schooling there.

Archived