IGNORED

John Shrader unable to walk

Miggy

I've heard before, "God always answers prayers... it just may not be the answer you want to hear."

Perhaps God has decided that John can no longer do missionary work, and took his walking ability away so that he feels compelled to get a new, JOB TYPE, 9-5 job.

Well, we had a relative that was serving as a missionary to Rwanda when he was stricken with MS. The Foreign Mission Board called the family back home and their missionary days were over. This all happened right before Rwanda exploded in civil war.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, if my violin was destroyed, I would just take what I could get. Even if it were cheap, whatever. It's SOMETHING to practice on. String instruments are hard. If I don't practice regularly, my progress is horribly slow and I'll make a lot more mistakes.

It must just be me, but when I read Sarah's post about morphine, I assumed that it was kind of a joke. Not a smart joke and it has the potential to get her in trouble but it is similar to the kind of joke I'd make. I've recently been prescribed Ambien/Stillnox for really bad sleep issues (I was literally getting a cumulative 2-3 hours sleep a day and that wasn't in one go...20 minutes here, 45 minutes there etc). My friend was having a vent about waking up at 3am and not getting back to sleep and I definitely made a comment like "Come into my pharmacy- pick your poison...melatonin, temazepam, stillnox, valium, xanax..." Totally a joke and making fun of my own sleep problems that she's familiar with but taken out of context, it could be seen as a serious drug offer :p

I think I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt anyway- her story is a very sad one. I can't imagine too many things more awful then giving birth to your first child and then finding out you have one of the deadliest form of cancers in its advanced stages :( I'm sure she is pretty hopped up on pain meds and sick from treatments so she gets a free pass in my book.

Yes, it requires a prescription. It is stronger than the over the counter codeine.

Depends. Here 8mg/500paracetamol...is over the counter. But you can also buy Dihydracodeine much stronger. Marketed as Paramol and very open to abuse in the UK. There is a huge OTC problem. Also Nurofen plus. 12.5mg codeine but only 200mg ibuprofen it is possible to take 3 times that safely increasing the codeine intake.. ALL over the counter meds. In continental Europe they will give out up to 30mg/500 tabs.

Ireland I believe has totally cracked down on OTC opiate based painkillers. I think it is needed here.

You should not be taking your mom's pills, ever. First of all, it's illegal. Secondly, just because you had a prescription for a drug in the past, doesn't mean you should be taking it today. Especially when you're talking about drugs like valium and codeine (which is a narcotic, btw. It's not as strong as morphine, but it's the same class of drugs.) Thirdly, if you're having issues that require such medications, you need the help of a doctor.

Yes-all of this.

Also, mixing benzodiazapines (like valium, xanax, klonopin, etc.) with opiates (codeine, morphine, etc.) can be a fatal combination, even in small doses.I have had more than one friend die that way, so I feel the need to put the info out there.

I didn't know about Sarah having cancer. Feeling bad about posting her comment now.

Well, we had a relative that was serving as a missionary to Rwanda when he was stricken with MS. The Foreign Mission Board called the family back home and their missionary days were over. This all happened right before Rwanda exploded in civil war.

This ranks up there with the shell game that Shrader continues to play. I feel for the sister who doesn't have the resources of someone like Patrick Swayze to keep her alive for a few years, but I cannot muster the slightest bit of pity for him. He'll likely use her eventual death for another cash-grab (for her kids, of course).

Sorry, but the guy may identify as a Christian, but his actions scream con-man.

I had a thought. Could he be exaggerating his problems to get more sympathy from his blog readers? I hope that I am not being mean.

I'm sure he is exaggerating. It still doesn't sound so good for Esther if he is playing the "Poor me, I'm injured" game.

I had a thought. Could he be exaggerating his problems to get more sympathy from his blog readers? I hope that I am not being mean.

You are not being mean.

And if his back hurts that bad he doesn't need to be having sex. :music-tool:

You are not being mean.

Can he have sex with his wife yet? I know they believe in a waiting period between having a baby and having sex. Supposedly the women's body is unclean for that time :roll:.

You are not being mean.

ITA. He seems like the sort of person who would take a tiny back twinge and turn it into "OMG!!!! I can't walk!" for money.

So much WTF here! This makes me wonder exactly why the Shraders have seem to have no money and are living out of pop up camper. :think:

It must just be me, but when I read Sarah's post about morphine, I assumed that it was kind of a joke. Not a smart joke and it has the potential to get her in trouble but it is similar to the kind of joke I'd make. I've recently been prescribed Ambien/Stillnox for really bad sleep issues (I was literally getting a cumulative 2-3 hours sleep a day and that wasn't in one go...20 minutes here, 45 minutes there etc). My friend was having a vent about waking up at 3am and not getting back to sleep and I definitely made a comment like "Come into my pharmacy- pick your poison...melatonin, temazepam, stillnox, valium, xanax..." Totally a joke and making fun of my own sleep problems that she's familiar with but taken out of context, it could be seen as a serious drug offer :p

I think I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt anyway- her story is a very sad one. I can't imagine too many things more awful then giving birth to your first child and then finding out you have one of the deadliest form of cancers in its advanced stages :( I'm sure she is pretty hopped up on pain meds and sick from treatments so she gets a free pass in my book.

Yes, I had the same thougt. My FIL is wining about his little pains all the time. When my son was on heavy medication for his leukemia I couldn't handle that very well and I think I may have said the same thing, just to give him some perspective.

post-418-14451997886644_thumb.jpg

He posted this pic yesterday. Let's count all the reasons why this is a really bad time to be taking pictures with your fucking phone:

-He's driving

-He's on a major highway surrounded by other vehicles

-It's raining, and his vehicle is in questionable repair to begin with

-He's towing a trailer behind a van with his entire family in it, including 7 young children who may or may not be adequately buckled

-He's supposedly in crippling pain

It can only be a matter of time before we see natural selection at work. I'm just afraid he's going to take one or more innocent people with him.

i can promise that bad back pain + car = NO FUN WHATSOEVER. Ask my mom. He can't be hurting that badly if he's up for driving long distances.

What an idiot. Is he taking pictures while driving, with kids in the car? He could kill someone

What is even the point of that picture? "Look, guys, I'm driving. Check out my handy mirrors!" :roll:

I remember when my dad's back would periodically go out, and you would not have been able to offer him a million dollars to drive down the block, much less a highway. I'm pretty sure we were not even allowed to say "drive" in his presence when his back was exerting authority over the rest of the body, lest the mere sound of the word cause a spasm.

You guys are right, Shrader is a grifter.

When my dads back went out his work loaned him an automatic falcon because he just could not drive the manual land rover he had at the time. Even then he couldn't drive long distances, just to work and back. Something tells me that the RV isn't a smooth easy auto drive.

Went to his Facebook page, and its looks like the sister's morphine offer and his response have now been removed or made private. Guess someone pointed out how stupid and illegal that was?

Good thing though. Knowing her story, I would hate to see her have drug charges filed against her and/or her right to pain management taken away just because she doesn't know better.

Depends. Here 8mg/500paracetamol...is over the counter. But you can also buy Dihydracodeine much stronger. Marketed as Paramol and very open to abuse in the UK. There is a huge OTC problem. Also Nurofen plus. 12.5mg codeine but only 200mg ibuprofen it is possible to take 3 times that safely increasing the codeine intake.. ALL over the counter meds. In continental Europe they will give out up to 30mg/500 tabs.

Ireland I believe has totally cracked down on OTC opiate based painkillers. I think it is needed here.

Cracked down a little. Basically when you ask for solpadeine or nurofen plus the pharmacist is now required to warn you of the dangers and offer an alternative. But it depends where you buy it. Some places (like boots) are stricter than say, your local chemist where they might know you.

Don't worry folks! He may not be able to walk, but he can drive for 3+ hours, take pictures, and post to Facebook while driving! Also, he posted a picture of the kids in the back seat and it doesn't look like there are enough seats for all of them. Agape doesn't look like she sitting in a seat and one child is missing.

Also, tragedy of tragedies, his viola and Esther's violin apparently did not survive the car crash. He's looking for replacements, but when a friend offers a listing on Craigslist for $60, good ol' John replies that that won't do, since "a new violin for sixty bucks is probably not a very quality instrument."

I think they need to spend this money on their kids instead of themselves. But the kids are expected to make sacrifices. I can't understand why CPS hasn't been called to investigate these people.

Went to his Facebook page, and its looks like the sister's morphine offer and his response have now been removed or made private. Guess someone pointed out how stupid and illegal that was?

Good thing though. Knowing her story, I would hate to see her have drug charges filed against her and/or her right to pain management taken away just because she doesn't know better.

I can still see the comments on my page.

I hope, as others suggested, the Sarah was making a joke.

post-481-14451997887249_thumb.jpg

He posted this pic yesterday. Let's count all the reasons why this is a really bad time to be taking pictures with your fucking phone:

-He's driving

-He's on a major highway surrounded by other vehicles

-It's raining, and his vehicle is in questionable repair to begin with

-He's towing a trailer his home behind a van with his entire family in it, including 7 young children who may or may not be adequately buckled

-He's supposedly in crippling pain

It can only be a matter of time before we see natural selection at work. I'm just afraid he's going to take one or more innocent people with him.

I hope you don't mind, I made a small edit.

Archived