IGNORED

John Shrader unable to walk

Miggy

Is codeine prescription only in the US? You can get it over the counter in most of Europe.

Yes, it is prescription only in the US.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I'm one of those people who DESPISES going to the doctor. I come from a long line of stoic upper Midwestern Protestant types who wait to go to the doctor until things are Really Bad, and then drive themselves there because they'd hate to bother anyone. That said, inability to walk would be enough to convince me to seek medical attention. The good Lord helps those who help themselves, John, so how 'bout ya help yourself?

Not even going to comment on the public morphine offer.

Much to the frustration and suffering of those of us with chronic pain who are routinely refused prescriptions for pain relief.

Um is it even legal to give presciption drugs to someone else? Especially a controlled substance like MS Contin!

Around my neck of the woods, that is what we call possession with intent and can get you some prison time with a new spouse. :o Tain't smart.

What's worse, it's a schedule two. So, NP's can't prescribe it. They can prescribe the cough syrup/pills, tylenol 3's but not codeine tabs. It was a pain in the arse to have to call the doctor every time we (nurses in long term care) need a script for codeine and we had a NP in house but no doc.

Much to the frustration and suffering of those of us with chronic pain who are routinely refused prescriptions for pain relief.

I've got chronic pain and my doctor calls the good stuff that takes the pain away and allows me to be human bandaids. My rheumatologist won't give me Valium, but gives me Klonopin which takes a little of the pain away. I've got a workers comp injury but I can't find a reliable doc who will deal with the federal workers comp system. They are horrible to deal with.

I've got a degenerative disc in my neck as well as my lumbar spine and I have physical therapy but that's a bandaid as well.

Doctor's are so scared of giving people the meds that would actually take away the pain because of the abusers who make it difficult for all of us.

You should not be taking your mom's pills, ever. First of all, it's illegal. Secondly, just because you had a prescription for a drug in the past, doesn't mean you should be taking it today. Especially when you're talking about drugs like valium and codeine (which is a narcotic, btw. It's not as strong as morphine, but it's the same class of drugs.) Thirdly, if you're having issues that require such medications, you need the help of a doctor.

Valium is the only thing that is a bit iffy legality wise here & I've only taken it when on a long haul to Europe that doesn't involve a stop in the Middle East.

You can buy a strong codeine preparation over the counter, taking 2 at once is the same as taking one panadine forte.

I don't approve of taking other people's prescriptions, but I can see why people would due to insurance issues. Medications and doctor visits are expensive as all get out. Even with good insurance it is still $100 a pop for an ER visit. My parents are willing to help out with that, which is fortunate for me because I sure can't afford that.

And codeine is otc in Europe, so I can see why that one wouldn't be a big deal to someone.

I'm not saying this makes it right, but it is understandable.

That said.... this man does not need morphine. This man needs to get his butt to a doctor before he does even more damage to himself that can't be fixed.

I thought I would be highly embarrassed on my last trip to the ER. I thought, "well, ok, I would rather wait a week, but it has been 24 hours, and my room mates keep saying I should go, so to shut them up, I'll go. But likely after we've been there for a few hours the pain will subside and I'll put my tail between my legs and slink out as soon as possible."

About 12 hours later, I'm being wheeled into an operating room for an appendectomy going, "this isn't happening... this just isn't happening..."

I will never take this kind of thing lightly again. Next time I have pain that doesn't go away, I'm not taking my chances.

"lift up my back" "covet your prayers" "humbly ask for your petitions" STOP! just stop that stupid fundie speak now! It makes my skin crawl. The only word he left out is "purposed"

I'll admit to taking other's prescriptions when they've been offered. I don't give a fuck at this point - I'm not letting Big Pharma tell me what is and isn't ok for me to take, and I'm too busy to stay home on days when I'm to nauseous to move or in too much pain to walk. I'm sick of rolling up at the ER and getting the runaround. I'm sick of being given weak-ass muscle relaxants or a small dose of antidepressants and spending every holiday and vacation curled up in a ball. If my cousin's (or whomever's) codeine gets me through the day, once in a while, so be it.

"lift up my back" "covet your prayers" "humbly ask for your petitions" STOP! just stop that stupid fundie speak now! It makes my skin crawl. The only word he left out is "purposed"

I think this is just another of his shysty grifting plots to keep his family in the doublewide a little bit longer. It's not hard to fake a back injury, especially if you don't have the resources to see a doctor to get a confirmation of the diagnosis.

This guy is a real piece of work; I don't believe a word that comes from his keyboard, or YouTube videos.

He needs to lift himself up off his fat ass and get a real job to support his family.

My guess is that he won't go a doctor because he doesn't have the money for it and either doesn't have insurance, or has Scamaritian which won't cover this for some reason. He can dress it up in charity and God, but deep down he just doesn't want to admit that he can't afford it.

The fact his ass is unemployed, he has 7 kids, and no income probably entitles him to Medicaid in whatever state the borrowed double wide currently resides in. But better to score morphine and prayers over Facebook than go to the evil government for help.

I'll admit to taking other's prescriptions when they've been offered. I don't give a fuck at this point - I'm not letting Big Pharma tell me what is and isn't ok for me to take, and I'm too busy to stay home on days when I'm to nauseous to move or in too much pain to walk. I'm sick of rolling up at the ER and getting the runaround. I'm sick of being given weak-ass muscle relaxants or a small dose of antidepressants and spending every holiday and vacation curled up in a ball. If my cousin's (or whomever's) codeine gets me through the day, once in a while, so be it.

Thats really awful! Why can't you get a prescription for these things?

I looked up on wikipedia & it seems Australia is one of the few countries where you can get 15mg of codeine over the counter. Most countries that sell it OTC only sell 10mg or less. The pharmacist can refuse you though, same goes for things with pseudoephedrine in them.

Don't worry folks! He may not be able to walk, but he can drive for 3+ hours, take pictures, and post to Facebook while driving! Also, he posted a picture of the kids in the back seat and it doesn't look like there are enough seats for all of them. Agape doesn't look like she sitting in a seat and one child is missing.

Also, tragedy of tragedies, his viola and Esther's violin apparently did not survive the car crash. He's looking for replacements, but when a friend offers a listing on Craigslist for $60, good ol' John replies that that won't do, since "a new violin for sixty bucks is probably not a very quality instrument."

Don't worry folks! He may not be able to walk, but he can drive for 3+ hours, take pictures, and post to Facebook while driving! Also, he posted a picture of the kids in the back seat and it doesn't look like there are enough seats for all of them. Agape doesn't look like she sitting in a seat and one child is missing.

Also, tragedy of tragedies, his viola and Esther's violin apparently did not survive the car crash. He's looking for replacements, but when a friend offers a listing on Craigslist for $60, good ol' John replies that that won't do, since "a new violin for sixty bucks is probably not a very quality instrument."

Right. Because having no viola is better than a potentially poor quality one. People may give him planes and car parts, but no one is giving him a 20k wood instrument. The level of douchbaggery here is epic.

No idea how this happened but I'm wondering how it will affect his fundraising and mission work.

Hard for him to be more emphatic, laid up like he is. SOTDRT strikes again. :penguin-no:

Hard for him to be more emphatic, laid up like he is. SOTDRT strikes again. :penguin-no:

Maybe he could add some exclamation points and emoticons to his FB posts. A little bolding here and there might help. That way he could be nice and emphatic without moving a muscle.

What a dumbass, she should definitely know better than to offer up MORPHINE on facebook. Plus, don't they know that PRAYER is the best medicine anyway?! Heathens...

Doesn't this sister have pancreatic cancer? Maybe she was kind of out of it when she posted about the morphine....

I guess all the prayer warriors effectively "lifted his back up" to the Lord. If the Lord's omniscient, wouldn't "he" already know about doofus's back?

Doesn't this sister have pancreatic cancer? Maybe she was kind of out of it when she posted about the morphine....

I guess all the prayer warriors effectively "lifted his back up" to the Lord. If the Lord's omniscient, wouldn't "he" already know about doofus's back?

Ah now I feel really bad about calling her a dumb ass... that makes sense that she may have been kind of "out of it".

Yeah... His sister, who he's really close in age with, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer right around the time Sophia was born, and is also a new mother. So... She might be doing something stupid and illegal, but I have nothing but sympathy for her. I also have a lot of sympathy for John when it comes to this, because the two seem to be quite close.

Is codeine prescription only in the US? You can get it over the counter in most of Europe.

Yes, it requires a prescription. It is stronger than the over the counter codeine.

Archived