IGNORED

Steven Stitler/Doug Wilson

fundiefun

Forgive me if this has been posted but are any of you familiar with the Moscow, ID Christ Church scandal involving Doug Wilson? This happened a few years back Steven Stitler who was a student at St Andrews College (unaccredited btw) and was boarding with a family who attended Doug Wilson's Church. Stitler molested the family's child who was only two years old at the time and it then came out that he had molested several children in three states. He basically got a very light sentence, but (this is where it gets better) Doug Wilson and Ed Iverson set up a courtship between Steven Stitler and Katie Travis knowing Stitler is a registered sex offender and is on life probation and can not be around children. They say courtship protects children but what kind of parent/family member knowingly marries their daughter off to a man who is that sick in the head to begin with.

Here is their nauseating "lovely godly" courtship website/wedding registry

http://june11eleven.com/

Court Records (warning the family's victim's statement contains a description of the sexual act this SOB forced on their child)

http://www.tomandrodna.com/CR_2005_02027/

Miscellaneous links

http://www.keely-prevailingwinds.com/se ... ed+iverson

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision ... 75092.html

We have seen this a few times. if they repent they are safe. of course thats bull but what do you expect? so what she is going to use birth control? I mean he can't be around kids so how does that work?

:angry-screaming: :puke-front:

Disgusting. Whoever thinks courtship is about protecting women and young girls should read those links.

I've just left a comment on the blog;

'Are you planning to have children?'

What's betting it doesn't get approved?

Oh, this just makes me sick. These are the kinds of stories that I wish would get reported more widely in the press. So many people seem to think folks like Wilson/Iverson are out of touch right-wingers but they don't see the danger.

Oh my gosh, this is horrific. :(

If she is marrying him of her own free will (and it looks like she is, and was interested in him before her parents got involved, according to her story), she's an idiot.

I cannot believe parents would be all "ooohh, of course you can marry a man who molested a toddler and maybe some other kids, how lovely!" Makes me sick.

We've had at least one other courtship-y ultra-fundie marriage mentioned here, where the husband-to-be had committed some serious crime. Can someone trigger my memory? The last one wasn't a paedophile too, was he?

That was the Brant(ly) Harris Disharoon thread. He was charged with molesting a younger child when he was a teenager. Google his name for court records if you want all the details.

The bride's family are nuckin' futz.

I rarely say this, but if in deed pastors are called to answer for their lives on their judgment days, Doug Wilson is going to need more than one day.

:puke-front: , indeed.

Doug Wilson has had more than one scandal surround his church. Basically, (especially if you're a guy) you "repent," then you're free and clear. If you make a fuss and don't "repent" then too bad. See how easy it is to resolve stuff? I've always wondered too if the fact that the guys could contribute more financially/in other ways had something to do with it.

This link was posted in the yuku forum, but it's a similar story from his church:

natalierose-livewithpassion.blogspot.com/search?q=no+more+tape

Never thought I would wish infertility on anyone, but I hope she is infertile.

Remember that this is the guy who thinks executing, or if you're feeling merciful, exiling, someone who has consensual sex with another adult of the same gender.

I've just left a comment on the blog;

'Are you planning to have children?'

What's betting it doesn't get approved?

And it didn't. My comment has vanished. What a surprise.

Those links are chilling. I mean, obv. this guy shouldn't ever be around children, his own or anyone else's. However, his (god) future children aren't here yet, but Katie is. And OMG, they used her--introduced her to this moster after she cried to one of the pastors (I think) about how at 23 she was never going to get married, it was never going to happen for her, etc. etc.--and conveniently, they set up this poor vulnerable girl to meet this conniving POS. I just can't handle it.

In the "our story" section, this Steven guy said something about how he wasn't going to talk about "the talk" he had with Katie's father, because single guys could find out on their own when the time came, but do you think that Katie's dad even knew about his crimes? I mean, WTF, even the fundiest of the fundie dads I knew wouldn't have let that guy near their daughters if the crimes were known, repentance or no.

And on a somewhat related topic, did you see the ring pics? How does a guy with Steven's background get cash like that??

From the college webpage:

"The most important factor Christians should consider when choosing a college, according to Jesus, is the character of their teachers. New Saint Andrews believes that its professors are the College. Because our teachers are the ones who will shape the minds and lives of our students, nothing – not majors, facilities, rankings, traditions, nothing – is more important than ensuring the unimpeachable integrity and quality of our professors."

Our buddy Doug Wilson is listed as "Trustee, Senior Fellow of Theology, and Professional in Residence"

How does one defend a pedophile with "unimpeachable integrity"??

Thought she was never going to marry at 23?? This is what happens when you live in a culture where marriage is held in such ridiculously high regard.

Wasn't there a connection between this Doug Wilson and Vision Forum Dougie Phillips?

Both Wilson and Phillips run in reformed fundie circles and VF at one time sold Wilson's books. However, Phillips withdrew his support for Wilson a few years back. They reportedly fell out over some theological differences. I think Federal Vision (which Wilson supports and most other reformed do not) had something to do with it. There was also a dispute over homosexuality of which you can find more here from Phillips' perspective: www.visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2004/06/749/

If recent blog posts are anything to go by, they seem to be on at least somewhat friendly terms, though.

www.visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2010/04/6530/

This is absolutely appalling! Why on earth would anyone ever think it's okay to set up a naive and possibly sheltered girl with a convicted pedophile? I mean, why would anyone ever think it's okay to set up anyone with a convicted pedophile? I am really worried for her and for their future kids. And you know what? I hate to be cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if her church gives her a hard time if/when he messes up again. Was she submissive enough? Did she ever withhold sex? In churches that believe/teach that women are responsible for their men's successes and failures, I can see how they could try to spin it to blame her. I truly hope I'm wrong about that, though. She shouldn't have married him.

This link was posted in the yuku forum, but it's a similar story from his church:

natalierose-livewithpassion.blogspot.com/search?q=no+more+tape

I remember reading about that over at the old forum. I feel so bad for that girl. It's disgusting that he molested her for several years and got off with a mere slap on the wrist. The fact that he's still in his church's good graces when she's been disciplined is beyond outrageous. Ugh!

Archived