IGNORED

Amanda Munck had a lovely shower.

Justme

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got married on a Monday. We wanted to get married on our anniversary, had a very small, mostly local guest list anyway, and saved at least $5,000 (we wanted to have the reception at our favorite restaurant and to have them close down any day but Monday would have cost $5k). It was a blast and no one mentions that it was a Monday now, but we get to keep our anniversary and were able to afford a little more than a courthouse wedding.

I went to two Orthodox Jewish weddings on a Tuesday and Wednesday (as in literally the next day. They were my Hebrew school teachers who were single when class got out in May and married by the end of the summer). They got married in the middle of the week because they had a ton of guests, and the kosher banquet halls gave steep discounts for weddings that happen in the middle of the week.

That's kind of interesting!! I never been to an Orthodox wedding. All my Hebrew teachers were older women. (1 was the Cantor's wife!)

I think that it's weird they r getting married on a Wednesday. Weekday weddings happen sometimes in the Orthodox Jewish families, because they sometimes go on a women's cycle!!

How do you know the wedding is tomorrow (Wed)? I was just reading their blog and saw nothing that said "Wednesday". The furniture/packing post just said in less than a week. I read all the comments as well.

How do you know the wedding is tomorrow (Wed)? I was just reading their blog and saw nothing that said "Wednesday". The furniture/packing post just said in less than a week. I read all the comments as well.

They mentioned some time back that Amanda's wedding will be on May 15. I was also thinking Wednesday is a bit odd, but then thought, perhaps most of their friends/relatives are homeschoolers and have a family business (not to stereotype them or anything) in which case, imo, they have more flexible schedules so a week-day wedding wouldn't necessarily be an inconvenience to attend.

They mentioned some time back that Amanda's wedding will be on May 15. I was also thinking Wednesday is a bit odd, but then thought, perhaps most of their friends/relatives are homeschoolers and have a family business (not to stereotype them or anything) in which case, imo, they have more flexible schedules so a week-day wedding wouldn't necessarily be an inconvenience to attend.

It's also slap bang in the middle of the month when women are apparently at their most fertile. :? I'm rather hoping that's just a coincidence though because those two need to spend time together before the blessings arrive! I am really looking forward to seeing the photos though - Mary Ann's birthday theme was so cool - I'd love that for my birthday!! I really hope Amanda and Joe have a very long and happy life together.

It's not the middle of the calendar month that most women are fertile, it's during ovulation, which is generally the middle of a woman's cycle.

You know, it's great that these people are not the Maxwells, but they are still Quiverfull fundies and they are still effed up in my book. It doesn't matter that she had a nice shower. This is a 19 year old homeschooled girl who is expected to homeschool, pop out a quiver, and be a submissive helpmeet. She was raised so that other choices would not be possible without losing the love of her family. That is a tragedy, and nothing her parents should be patted on the back for.

It's not the middle of the calendar month that most women are fertile, it's during ovulation, which is generally the middle of a woman's cycle.

Oopss :embarrassed: my bad.

You know, it's great that these people are not the Maxwells, but they are still Quiverfull fundies and they are still effed up in my book. It doesn't matter that she had a nice shower. This is a 19 year old homeschooled girl who is expected to homeschool, pop out a quiver, and be a submissive helpmeet. She was raised so that other choices would not be possible without losing the love of her family. That is a tragedy, and nothing her parents should be patted on the back for.

Yeah I don't get the rush, I'm two years older than her and in rush to get married now. Would it really hurt for them to wait a few more years? (Hell, people from my year at school are getting married and having babies and it feels like they're all so young to be starting families!)

While I did praise Mrs. Munck for writing her honest and heartfelt feelings on her daughter's marriage, it goes only that far. Yes, they are still fundies and, from what we have seen, are getting "fundier"which is what led them to getting involved with the Maxwells in the first place. While it was good that Liz escaped Maxhell, she still is a young woman who has been raised to believe that she has only certain roles in life and that's it. About the best that can be hoped for is that her limited future is better than what would have been in Maxhell, but that's not saying much. And Amanda's life going forward is probably going to be less "fun" now than it was living under her parents.

I'm feeling really guilty but comparing to other fundy parents I find these parents likeable. I know it's bad and I'm fighting it but they seem to love their children, they go out of their ways to have their kids' needs met and fulfilled, AND a little extra. They seem to be happy, they don't post horrid, self righteous stuff about women, training up children, etc. I know this cannot be reason enough for one to like them. I like this family, there is something heart warming about them, there's something that I had never had in my own family, and fundy or not... I would have been happy with such parents even if as a grown up they would have shunned me for being so independent. There's nothing like a nice childhood, just ask the ones whom never had one.

It's rather refreshing to see a fundie mom actually express what are very healthy feelings over a daughter's pending marriage for a change. It's no doubt a mixed bag of sadness over seeing a child leave the home but also happiness for that child and knowing that it's a normal next step in life. Rather than pretend with the typical fundie speak over these things, Mrs. Munck is being very honest and heartfelt, saying it like it is.

ETA: This just shows how different the Muncks are from the Maxwells. You know that Teri would not post anything like that, not that she would feel that way, but Lord Stevie would not allow it. It would be an idol or something. Which gets me wondering how the Muncks would be so taken with the Maxwells in the first place, but I suppose Liz and Joe's engagement put the families in a (temporarily) closer relationship that highlighted the differences between them. When Liz backed out, I am pretty convinced her parents supported her decision and maybe they even encouraged her to really think about what she was getting into. They obviously aren't the type of fundie parents who will force a marriage on their children; they really want them to be happy.

Regarding the Muncks' involvement with the Maxwells, the only reasonable explanation to me seems to be that maybe they got sucked in with the organizing stuff that the Maxwells put out (I'm thinking that maybe with such a big family they felt like they needed to organize better?) and then just went down the rabbit hole. However, I too appreciate the fact that the stood by Liz's decision. It makes me hopeful that if one day one of their daughters decide to do something more, like go to college or get a job outside the family business, they would be supportive of that too.

The Eastern Orthodox don't have weddings on Wednesday, it's a day for fasting (so no sweet fellowshiping allowed :lol: ).

I've actually wondered if it wasn't the parents that planted the idea of breaking off the engagement with Liz, rather than the other way around. She may have had misgivings but felt that as a dutiful daughter, she had to go through with it (sort of like Diana prior to her marriage to Charles -- and Camilla. Her face was on the tea towels! How could she walk away?). Possibly her parents sensed this, and having gotten a closer look at Liz's fate with the Maxwells, broached the subject and told her they'd support her if she chose to back out. It would be interesting if they were the catalyst.

Old person comment: I read a lot of novels written in the 1800s, and they often depict weddings on weekdays. In an old Amy Vanderbilt etiquette book, I saw a sample wedding invitation for a weekday wedding. In those days, women were less likely to have Corporate America 9-to-5 jobs. The concept of Saturday as a day off is a fairly recent mid-20th-century development, and certain denominations (such as Roman Catholicism) may not permit Sunday weddings. (My parents got married in a Catholic church on a Sunday, because it was in NYC shortly after WWII, and there were so many weddings going on--the local paper would have half a dozen pages of nothing but engagement and wedding announcements--that the Archdiocese made an exception to accommodate them.)

While I think they promote their way of living to their kids, I get the feeling that if any of them left the quiverfull, skirt -wearing, stay -at -home for women lifestyle, the Munck parents would still love and accept their kids. (Sorry for the long sentence). And I too wonder if the parents felt like Elizabeth didn't want to go thru with marrying Joseph. Wasn't it just a week before the wedding that she backed out? And Mrs. Munck didn't put up a post about Elizabeth leaving and what that would mean to her.

I've actually wondered if it wasn't the parents that planted the idea of breaking off the engagement with Liz, rather than the other way around. She may have had misgivings but felt that as a dutiful daughter, she had to go through with it (sort of like Diana prior to her marriage to Charles -- and Camilla. Her face was on the tea towels! How could she walk away?). Possibly her parents sensed this, and having gotten a closer look at Liz's fate with the Maxwells, broached the subject and told her they'd support her if she chose to back out. It would be interesting if they were the catalyst.

This is my thinking as well. I am thinking that after getting to know the Maxwells better during the engagement period, Liz's parents saw what they were really like and realized that this marriage might not be a good thing for their daughter. The more I think about it, there were probably conflicts regarding wedding preparations, getting the house ready and the like. Given Steve's restrictions and requirements that takes the joy out of everything, and considering the Muncks were more relaxed and fun-loving, there was bound to be some. I wouldn't be surprised if Liz was presented, albeit informally and probably via Joe, a "must do" list for life as a Maxwell, such as "my dad expects this" or "my dad requires that" or "you can't bring your books" or "you can't wear nail polish" and so on. Liz probably had several WTF moments, at which finally Mom and Dad told her that if she didn't want to go through with it, that was OK.

Oh, I definitely think the Munck parents had a say. If Liz approached them with doubts, and they felt Joe was a "good man", they would have told her it was pre-wedding jitters and sent her down the aisle. I doubt if we'll ever "know" who's idea it was first to cancel.

While I think they promote their way of living to their kids, I get the feeling that if any of them left the quiverfull, skirt -wearing, stay -at -home for women lifestyle, the Munck parents would still love and accept their kids. snippie snip

You know it that was true, if that turned out to be true (and some of the kids would really break off from fundieland) I'd no longer have a guilty conscience for liking the parents.

We'll probably never know, but it is a likely scenario. I also remember, Elizabeth NEVER posted about it during that time. All the posts about her and Joseph were by Mom Laura I think. And the story was told on the Maxwell blog, but not on theirs. The first time Elizabeth posted during this time was the one His Gift, that says it all.

Now, we have next to see the post-wedding post to announce that yes, they DID get married.(as in Amanda and Joe) This family seems to be solid, but flexible, and in the learning process. As Barbara Colorasso would say, "with a backbone".

You know it that was true, if that turned out to be true (and some of the kids would really break off from fundieland) I'd no longer have a guilty conscience for liking the parents.

Just saw this post, & I agree w/ both of you.

Just saw this post, & I agree w/ both of you.

They've only been into the "skirt wearing" thing for a few years. They've pictures of Liz with her drivers license wearing jeans and a hoodie. I'm hopping they'll flip back to fundie lite....

Archived