IGNORED

Plan B over the Counter Question

Mama Mia

Actually that's not true. I get carded ALL THE TIME for buying cold pills. One time, I got carded for buying melatonin.

I still agree that plan b shouldn't have age restrictions, and I forget how old you must be to buy cold pills (16-18, don't really care, as I'm 24.) but at least in the stores I go to, someone is checking.

That's not because the cold medication might be dangerous for you to personally use but because pseudoephedrine in large amounts can be used in methamphetamine labs. My mother has to sign for it and she's in her 70's. Melatonin is not a controlled substance in the US, although I believe it is in parts of Europe.

I'm not aware of anything in Plan B that would lead to it being considered a controlled substance.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually that's not true. I get carded ALL THE TIME for buying cold pills. One time, I got carded for buying melatonin.

I still agree that plan b shouldn't have age restrictions, and I forget how old you must be to buy cold pills (16-18, don't really care, as I'm 24.) but at least in the stores I go to, someone is checking.

In my state ( don't know if it's state or federal law ) - they sell many cold medicines behind the counter, collect I.D. for anyone purchasing, and limit the amount that can be purchased. It doesn't have anything to do with age, it's because many cold medicines contact one of the key ingredients used in making meth.

It's not because the cold medication might be dangerous for you to personally use but because pseudoephedrine in large amounts can be used in methamphetamine labs. My mother has to sign for it and she's in her 70's. Melatonin is not a controlled substance in the US, although I believe it is in parts of Europe.

I'm not aware of anything in Plan B that would lead to it being considered a controlled substance.

I'm no talking about pseudaphedrine. I'm talking about robitussin and coricidin. Those are not behind the counter, but they still carded me for them.

If I had a 15 year old daughter, she would not be allowed to have it without my consent. But in my community, I do not have to worry about it, we don't have your laws. At that age she can put no medicines in he body with out me knowing about it. A 15 year old is a child.

I'm pretty sure a lot of teens are able to take many things without parental consent. Aspirin, tylenol...heck, many teens drink alcohol and smoke without parents knowing about it. You can talk about a 15 year old being a child. That doesn't stop them from doing adult things. If you don't believe me, come to the county clinics around here. Plenty of people caught off-guard with a pregnancy at 15.....

No offense to you, but I think the worst parents are the ones who claim with absolutely certainty that their kids would never have sex and so therefore have no need for sex education or sexual health talks. It's funny that sex is one area where we think providing information will led to uninformed choices.

The issue I have with this entire Plan B debate is that people talk up the "side effects" as a smokescreen for their discomfort with the what it does. This has nothing to do with concern for teen girls' health. The medical community already agreed that Plan B is safe for teens to use as an OTC med. If it was anything else, that would be the end of it.

Parents don't gripe about teens buying Tylenol, even thought it can cause liver failure (had a lecture where one MD claimed that should be a controlled substance!). We don't complain that teens are getting their hands on aspirin, even though it can cause stomach ulcers (not so rare either). Heck, people didn't even make a ruckus when teens were buying up Sudafed to turn into meth! Wow, how is that there is less concern about teens buying up Sudafed, a known substance that can be turned into a recreational drug, then something that can prevent the damaging result of pregnancy? Yes, America, our priorities are right on target.

I'm no talking about pseudaphedrine. I'm talking about robitussin and coricidin. Those are not behind the counter, but they still carded me for them.

In the US, if a drug must be kept behind the counter, everyone is required to show ID. If ID is being required for an over-the-counter drug, then it's likely a rule the particular pharmacy has in place. My 11 year old went into CVS and picked up some Robitussin for me last month, so I don't think there is any law against kids buying it. However, different pharmacies may have risk management policies in place related to potential substance abuse by minors, and maybe my son would not have been allowed to buy multiple bottles of cough syrup.

This all relates to the War on Drugs though, which has nothing to do with Plan B.

I think everyone would prefer that our teens not need to use plan b. I hope my teen chooses to save sex for a time that she is ready for all the potential ramifications, both physical and emotional. I also hope that when she does choose to have sex, that she has all the education and tools needed to protect herself, even if it means going behind my back. Being a teen mom was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was also the hardest. I hope that my girls know that having sex doesn't make you a bad person or a slut, and that getting pregnant isn't going to ruin their lives, but that some decisions affect the rest of your life. I want them to choose wisely.

She would be old enough to have sex without your permission, so she should be old enough to make contraceptive choices on her own.

lol 15 is not old enough to have sex "without my permission". If she did it and I found out, she would be punished. I live is a sexual promiscuous city for young people , but oh no I will not say "sure baby, you have menstruating, so you are old enough to have sex, have fun see ya later." That us fine for your daughter, but not for mine. All is hypothetical, as I have no children as yet and am not married as yet.

Personally, I plan to point out the Plan B on the pharmacy shelf to my kids. They'll still know the rest of the safe sex speech - but I want them to ALSO know that if something happened, there is something that they can do right away to reduce the risk of pregnancy, without worrying about telling anyone. I'd hope that my kids would confide in me, but (1) I'm not willing to jeopardize their health over it, and (2) the very fact that I am open about these discussions would hopefully reinforce that I'm not going to react badly if they ever do need to come to me.

Wow! Are you my sister? :shifty-kitty: She's had this very same discussion with her daughters. The women in my family have always been open and honest about sex, sexuality, and birth control. We're the un-fundie branch of the family tree. :lol:

What's hard about this all for me is that I have 2 boys and no girls. And as much as I approve of Plan B being available, I really have to count on the GIRLS my boys will get involved with to be in tune with their bodies and be informed. So that's relying on the girls and the girls' parents, which I have no control over. My boys are only 13 and 10 so not quite there yet to worry about, but it will be here soon enough. And Plan B is supposedly only effective within 48 hours of intercourse (or is it 72?), so they've got to act quickly. I guess I just need to discuss it with my boys, and then I guess keep a supply of it in our home, too, so they can share it if they have to.

There are age restrictions on buying certain cold/cough medicine (i think its 17?) because if taken in high quantities, one can get "high" and at those exposure levels, there is a high risk of adverse events as well.

There is probably little clinical data on the risk:benifit profile of Plan B in younger populations. One of the factors of the FDA picking the age of 15 probably was that they had the clinical data to back up the safety and efficacy at that age, making the decision to go OTC at at that age harder to be challenged.

lol 15 is not old enough to have sex "without my permission". If she did it and I found out, she would be punished. I live is a sexual promiscuous city for young people , but oh no I will not say "sure baby, you have menstruating, so you are old enough to have sex, have fun see ya later." That us fine for your daughter, but not for mine. All is hypothetical, as I have no children as yet and am not married as yet.

Well I'm pretty sure you are about the first and only person in the world I have come across who thinks they can control what their hypothetical or real teenager will do.

Also punishing her after having sex is not an actual contraceptive. Just saying. Also I think you are missing the point some are making. They are not actively advocating and encouraging their 15 year olds to have sex. They are educating them and quite sensibly thinking of the possible ramifications of ..you know having a teenager. I think most Mother's want the best for their children, burying your head in the sand is not a good parenting choice.

Also a quick query. Do you not get told every time you buy OTC medications the side effects and asked if you suffer certain illnesses? It's the way it is here.

I tune out and normally get mixed up with my blood pressure answer and bonus point card answer.

I'm sorry, but you are so god-damn delusional that I'm LMAO.

What, exactly, do you think punishing her would do? What would you do to punish her? How do you think you'd find out she's having sex( Do you really think she'd tell you, or are you going to believe the rumour mill? Or are you going to spy on her every move?) Do you really live in such a self delusional world to think that your teen daughter would not have sex, simply because she's scared of your punishment?

You might not like the idea of a teenager having sex, but given that they will anyway (because a good percentage do-even one's who have been brought up 'right', to be nice, compliant and outwardly polite and in fear of whatever their parents may dish out), would you REALLY prefer to live in ignorance?

Do yourself a favour and do some growing up before you go inflicting yourself on any children. At very least, do a wee bit of reading on the proven effects of authoritarian parenting. If you're looking to give your children the best chance at becoming happy, productive, well-adjusted adults members of society, authoritarian parenting ain't what your looking for. If you're trying to produce a child who tells you to hump the rough end of a pineapple, a child who might look outwardly compliant but is brilliant at sneaking around and can lie to your face, or a child who grows up to be a broken, co-dependant or spectacularly insecure adult, then you're definitely on the right track. Good luck with that one.

As OKTBT said (so much more kindly than me), you're actually missing the point. It's not about encouraging teenagers to have sex (and it's proven that teenagers will have sex whether or not contraception is available), it's about acknowledging that teenagers will have sex, so the role of the parent is to equip them to make the safest, and most appropriate choice.

What's hard about this all for me is that I have 2 boys and no girls. And as much as I approve of Plan B being available, I really have to count on the GIRLS my boys will get involved with to be in tune with their bodies and be informed. So that's relying on the girls and the girls' parents, which I have no control over. My boys are only 13 and 10 so not quite there yet to worry about, but it will be here soon enough. And Plan B is supposedly only effective within 48 hours of intercourse (or is it 72?), so they've got to act quickly. I guess I just need to discuss it with my boys, and then I guess keep a supply of it in our home, too, so they can share it if they have to.

I have a son too, and I agree with you that boys need sex education as well so they can support their partners. But I also think I have to teach my son that he shouldn't have sex with someone he isn't able to support through pregnancy decisions. If birth control fails and pregnancy happens, the decisions are 100% the woman's right.

I have a son too, and I agree with you that boys need sex education as well so they can support their partners. But I also think I have to teach my son that he shouldn't have sex with someone he isn't able to support through pregnancy decisions. If birth control fails and pregnancy happens, the decisions are 100% the woman's right.

I agree. And I will tell you, I allowed myself to be involved with some men (boys!) who didn't support my pregnancy decisions when I was younger. So I am all the more determined to educate my boys in selecting partners responsibly and knowing what their personal decisions will mean for them. I remember being "that young girl" who never thought she would get pregnant, and then did. Surprise! Back in the day of the Sponge! LOL. And hearing from my boyfriend that his biggest concern was "What is my MOM going to think?". LOL. Yep, I knew how to pick 'em.

13 isn't too young to have to think about it. Not many 13 year old boys have sex, but some do.. and that number will jump at 14 and 15.

I think having a supply at your house is an excellent idea.

13 isn't too young to have to think about it. Not many 13 year old boys have sex, but some do.. and that number will jump at 14 and 15.

I agree. My son is only 11, but my 14 year old daughter loves to tell me gossip she hears from the kids at school, and there are 12 and 13 year old boys and girls who have experimented with sex. I’m glad she does, because it helps keep us communicating about the issue.

I'm not sure I would purchase Plan B and keep it in my house for someone else's minor daughter to use, however. That's not a line I'd not want to cross. I'd make sure my son had access to and knew how to use condoms first and foremost and then explain about the availability of Plan B.

I know -- 13 is sort of the borderline for boys (at least that's what I learned growing up). But we talk about it regularly and he's no at all interested in girls just yet...tick, tock, tick, tock.

I worry a little bit if there will be possible liability issues that stem from parents of boys allowing their boys to distribute Plan B to their girlfriends. Ugh.

Well good luck with that. My parents had the same attitude as you do. You think it kept several of my sisters from having sex and one from getting pregnant(one of the reasons we ended up in ATI)? It sure didn't.

If I had a 15 year old daughter, she would not be allowed to have it without my consent. But in my community, I do not have to worry about it, we don't have your laws. At that age she can put no medicines in he body with out me knowing about it. A 15 year old is a child.

Would you punish your 15-year-old son for having sex "without [your] consent"?

I know -- 13 is sort of the borderline for boys (at least that's what I learned growing up). But we talk about it regularly and he's no at all interested in girls just yet...tick, tock, tick, tock.

I worry a little bit if there will be possible liability issues that stem from parents of boys allowing their boys to distribute Plan B to their girlfriends. Ugh.

Yeah, I guess it might not be a good idea to have the Plan B available for a minor girl, who isn't your own. Especially if they were under the current age to buy it themselves. But at least having the knowledge might be helpful.

Would you punish your 15-year-old son for having sex "without [your] consent"?

Of course! I would not know every thing my teenage 15 year old would do of course not. In my community it is a traditional common value that 15 year teenagers are children and we punish them if they do it. Maybe it make them stop, maybe not. But if that one is stealing from the grocer, I punish her to maybe make her stop or maybe not. Here in Israel our parents scream at us, throw us in our rooms, tell us we are disgrace if we do against parent values, and you know what, come to Tel Aviv and see how normal minded and happy and wonderful my people are. I am agnostic but practice my religion for culture reasons and many many Tel Aviv people are exactly the same way, so it is not a religious reason. Any way, I just give my thoughts on this from my culture and my values. No sweat. :dance:

I'm sorry, but you are so god-damn delusional that I'm LMAO.

Do yourself a favour and do some growing up before you go inflicting yourself on any children. At very least, do a wee bit of reading on the proven effects of authoritarian parenting.

Inflicting my self on any children? Wow what a stiff angry fucked up person you are! Relax, I am fine, my cultural and value beliefs are fine, and our Israeli kids grow into the wonderful people we are, especially Tel Avivians where we are the most tolerant people. Come visit us, we are not the same kind of authoritarian like your experience in USA is. Be happy! We are cool people ans we love sex but let me tell my 15 year old to get in her room and let me scream at her for a bit. :D

For the respect of the title subject of this thread, I see my comments are not staying with the subect, so I will leave no more comments. Unless it has to do with over the counter comments for Plan B. Thanks for your concern for my future kids!

I think if I had a teenager, I would rather have the kind of relationship with them where they can come talk to me if they have any concerns and know that I wont judge them, than completely ban them from having sex where they might go and do it behind my back and feel ashamed of themselves, or end up pregnant because theyre too embarassed to buy condoms and sneak off to have an abortion on their own with no support and have to deal with that themselves.

Archived